This weekend race From Clonmel 25th May 2013.
The original release point was to be Pilmore Beach. I received a request from the Irish
Homing Union not to liberate at Pilmore Beach. The reason for this request was they were
having difficulties with the Airports in Dublin, after two recent strikes involving racing
pigeons and aircrafts, with the damage running into many thousands of pounds. Weather
reports at the time were giving westerly winds and our pigeons would probably have crossed
The next site is Fermoy Army Barracks. Permission was obtained for us to liberate at
Fermoy provided we would liberate before 9.30am, after that the army would commence
firing practise and no release would be permitted from the site. The forecast received for the
Fermoy area for Saturday morning was Dull Overcast and Mist. Met Eirann did not know at
what time this would clear.
The Met Eirann Forecaster could not confirm as late as 10.00 pm on Friday night if it would
be clear at the race point in Fermoy at the liberation deadline time of 09:30 on Saturday.
If I sent, the transporters onto Fermoy on Friday night the permitted driving hours would
have been used up on arrival at Fermoy early Saturday. If Liberation was not possible in
Fermoy, I could not move your pigeons to another site because of the driver’s hours
The transporters would have to stay at Fermoy until the drivers take the required nine-hour
break at the race point. Gone are the days when you can move the transporters when it suits
Sending your birds to Clonmel virtually guaranteed a release provided weather conditions
The decision to release early was taken on the advice of the Met Eirann weather forecaster.
The forecast was for rain to move in from the west over the release area and into the west of
Ulster early in the morning.
I hope that this information will explain the reasons as to why we liberated at Clonmel.
To those who seem to know better than the race advisors and controllers I say to them why
did you not apply for these positions?? Fred Russell Secretary NIPA.
THE NIPA WILL BE MAKING A DECISION @ 6PM THIS EVENING AS TO WHETHER THERE WILL BE A FRIDAY OR SATURDAY RACE THIS WEEKEND.
THE WEEKEND FORECAST IS NOT LOOKING FAVOURABLE AT PRESENT. Please call back for updates.
NIPA Update at 18:30 on Wednesday15th May 2013.
Race marking for Rosscarbery OB Inland National and Roscrea come back races will take place
tomorrow evening Thursday for a possible release on Friday. Please call back for updates.