INFC Season update - Liam McCall

All the latest news from Dan Bradley - Press Officer
willie reynolds

INFC Season update - Liam McCall

Post by willie reynolds »

YOU often hear the winner will be part of 'The Golden Mile' when it comes to the INFC channel races. The winners of the South Section of the INFC Yearling National, South Section of the INFC YB Bude and 3rd South Section in the Friendship National were all within a few miles of each other. This shows the strength of the South Leinster Fed, which also boasted both INFC OB and YB Skibbereen winner, however the cherry on the top this year came from a loft synonymous with French racing. The lofts of Liam and Gertie McCall, located south of Wicklow Town claimed the coveted prize as winner of the Grand National Kings Cup race for the second time in 5 years. I had a chance to sit down with the french maestro to chat about his winners and to ask those burning questions we all have.

Recently appointed Vice President of the South Leinster Fed, Liam's love for pigeons is as strong now as its ever been. you can hear the excitement as soon as you begin to chat about what I think are some of the hardest race routes in the world. On behalf of all of the members of the South Leinster Fed, I wish to pass on a huge congratulations to Liam and Gertie on what turned out to be the only pigeon on the day of liberation from this years Kings Cup. Liam is a member of the Wicklow South Road Club, the South Leinster Fed, the South Leinster Fed Channel Club and the INFC.
First of all, Liam congratulations on your season, but we might go back a little in time, tell me where the love of French racing started for you?
In 2003, our club decided to turn from North Road to South Road and that started the move towards French racing.

How did you find turning birds from North Road to South Road?
In the Kings Cup in 2003, there was 21 birds home in race time of which we were 13th, 16th and 20th National, winning Harkness Rose Bowl.
Thats very impressive, so I believe something special came from that race?
Yes, our 20th National pigeon, who was clocked on the 3rd day went on to become 'Red Laddie'. Red Laddie ended up as an INFC Hall of Fame Winner achieving 20th National Kings Cup Messac in 2003. The following year in 2004 he was 13th National in the Kings Cup Messac and then in 2005 he was 25th National from Messac again.
So what lines was Red Laddie?
He was my old line of Harkness Gilmour pigeons.
Lets fast forward to July 2017, tell me about your Kings Cup pigeon?
Our hen 'Chloe' was timed to win the Kings Cup achieving a velocity of 1343 ypm. In 2015 'Chloe' achieved 1st National IHU NFC from St Malo. She was always a very steady pigeon bred from my own Harkness Gilmour pigeon when crossed with Scottish National blood from Joe Murphy.
So a double national winner, but I heard it wasnt all plain sailing with her?
Yes, thats correct. In 2016 she was entered into the KIngs Cup and it was 8 days before she returned. She was in good form but a little light. I would never hold it against a pigeon who makes a mistake. For a pigeon to make it home from France they have so many things to overcome. Patience paid off.
So tell me about this years Kings Cup Winner, the only bird clocked on the day of liberation?
Champion 'Home Alone' he is 3/4 Soontjen and 1/4 Gondalear. The dam of this pigeon was down from John Patterson pigeons. He had 4 land races this year, 3 early races. He was clocked from St Malo in 2020 and my rule is that if a pigeon flies France they dont fly the channel again until the French race however this year I broke my own rule and sent him to Talbenny twice this season.
Well it seemed to pay off, so tell me a little about your loft set up?
The loft is an open front, old fashioned style loft, it was built in 1974 and has plenty of ventilation. The loft is always dry and feels fresh however if the wind changes I do have shutters to block out this wind.
What your feeding methods for both breeding and racing?
While breeding they are on a breeding mix and when it comes to racing its changed to Gerry Plus and Superstar with added homoform. Roughly a month out from France I start to add poultry pellets. At the end of the season they are on a full moulting mix until after the moult and then moved onto 50% moulting and 50% good quality Barley.
What medication do you use?
I use the usual stuff, vaccination, canker, cocci and wormer. as long as the droppings are sound, I'm happy
What System do you race your Old Birds on?
100% Natural, they sit pot eggs until I have the race in mind for them. We would usually race around 50 old birds.
So whats your training methods?
The birds are on an open hole and the hens tend to fly well during the day. I do train 2-3 times a week but not from a long distance. Given the problem of birds of prey in the area so I dont tend to send them on tosses that are too long.
Do you race young birds?
Yes, I race them on the natural system, they usually get the first half of the season. The team usually consists of 40 youngsters.
Whats your training and feeding plan look like for your young bird team?
They usually get 8 to 10 tosses and then the first race, and the feeding is much the same as the old birds using Gerry Plus and Superstar.
Liam, thank you so much for your time and before we wrap up have you got any advice for novice french flyers?
Patience, with French racing you need a lot of patience. You need the right family of pigeons but most of all they need a love for their home.
There you have it, the thoughts of a magician from France. Thanks for Liam and Gertie for their time. once again congratulations to Liam and Gertie on what can only be described an a fantastic win.

Dan Bradley
Press Officer
South Leinster Federation.

Return to “South Leinster Federation”