Obituary Vernon Thom -

Homer's Odyssey - News From Around Ireland by Willie Reynolds BHW & RP Scribe and PO for NIPA, INFC and RPRA (Irish Region).
willie reynolds

Obituary Vernon Thom -

Post by willie reynolds »

Obituary Vernon Thom – I got the sad news during the week that the Cookstown legend Vernon Thom had passed away at the Craigavon Area Hospital following a period of illness, he was aged 87 years. Although no longer racing he was a big star of earlier years, a fantastic racer that won many races in Cookstown and during that time won I think, the Young Bird Derby from Skibbereen. During most of my early days in the sport he served his local area representing Section A at the NIPA, he was elected President in 1981 and would have been a Life Vice-President. I note he was called Vernon Ernest and I well remember his late son Ernest (Ernie) racing in the Chimney Corner HPS and at the time was Treasurer in the club. Vernon himself had a big family circle and had 9 great grandchildren. A service of thanksgiving was held in Derryloran Parish Church. Donations in lieu of flowers if desired, to Steenson Funeral Services (Charities account), 11 Loy Street Cookstown, BT80 8PZ for Derryloran Parish Church and Kildress Parish Church. From the local fancy in County Tyrone and all NIPA members and officials, sincere condolences to the family at this sad time. Gone but not forgotten.
Willie Reynolds HOMER.

Return to “Homer's Odyssey”