Obituary Mal Maguire, Newry

Homer's Odyssey - News From Around Ireland by Willie Reynolds BHW & RP Scribe and PO for NIPA, INFC and RPRA (Irish Region).
willie reynolds

Obituary Mal Maguire, Newry

Post by willie reynolds »

It is with great sadness this afternoon that we have learned of the Sad Passing of an Icon of the Pigeon Sport and a true gentlemen Mr Malachy Maguire.

Malachy was a true old school pigeon fancier who loved his Pigeons. Over the years he had great sucess from channel racing and sprint racing up Ireland winning a multitued of 1st Opens and National Wins along with his 2 Sons Mark and Malachy Junior they formed a name for themselves as top flyers in Ireland and the UK.

Together they formed a dynasty of Distance Winning Bloodlines that put them on the map for their Pigeons Performances in the hardest of races.
Malachy was the backbone of our Club and one of its founding members from the very beginning. An extremely generous an giving man to any good cause that needed help. Malachy, Thomas Hughes and the late Paddy Savage went and drove round the Country from Armagh to Ballymena to fundraise for the building of our Club back in the days where the only way of asking for donations was to go from door to door to ask the top fanciers in the Country.

On behalf of Newry & District H.P.S and the wider Pigeon Faternity in the Newry & Mourne Area and across the UK and Ireland we would like to pass on our sincere condolences to Club members Mark Maguire (Son) Malachy Junior (Son) Young Mark (Grandson) and the Maguire Family on the sad passing of Malachy. All of our thoughts and prayers go out to the entire family circle at this difficult time

Our members are forever grateful for his leadership as his role as Club President and the hard work he done for the founding of our Club and the Sport from the very beginning

The Sport has lost a hugely respected figure and ive lost a true Family Friend of mine
May Big Malachy Rest In Peace Jordan Hughes PO.

Obituary Maguire Malachy – It is with deep sorrow Jean and I received a call from Mark, informing us of the passing of his father Malachy. A lifetime, true and trusted friend, a former INFC National Champion, and one of the top fanciers in Ireland. He never refused young birds for charity or novice beginners. I shall miss his visits and weekly phone calls. Our deepest sympathies to Patricia and the family circle, Rest in peace Malachy.
John & Jean Hollinger.

Obituary Maguire Malachy – It is with deep sadness that I learned of the death of Malachy, so soon after the passing of another great Newry fancier Ron McKelvey. I had been to his lofts several times and he housed a super team of pigeons. INFC National Champion was a highlight for Malachy in a great career and the Friendship National was a race he dominated for several years. He was a very generous man and was well respected by his fancier friends. Son Mark will keep the Maguire name to the fore in the coming years. I extend my sympathy to Patricia, Mark and the family circle at this very sad time. Ronnie Johnston INFC Patron.

The late Mal Maguire (r) from Newry & District.

Return to “Homer's Odyssey”