Administrator
Site Admin

National success for the Master Breeder Bob Harkness

Post by Administrator »

PATIENCE AND PREPARATION
By Bob Harkness of Crumlin

'Black Prince'
Winner of 1st Open INFC Y/B National Penzance 1971

I first commenced to keep pigeons at the age of seven years and during those early years my parents always encouraged me, as I am sure they thought that my interest was such that I would not be far away from home and could be found near the pigeon loft. I had not the good fortune to win the first race I competed in but, in fact, was last. Nevertheless, by the end of the first year I won 1st Club, 5th Combine Skibbereen Derby.

The foundation of my present family was started in 1946, with the introduction of the A E Robinson Delmotte’s through very good friend, Billy Hutchinson. The pigeons proved very successful up to 300 miles, but my prime objective was fast becoming the establishment of a family of long-distance champions and, some ten years after Delmotte’s, I brought in the Locke Hansenne pigeons and these have proven just the right cross for my original family.

They soon showed that they could fly the distance successfully and in 1957 they won 1st, 2nd, 10th and 13th Ulster Continental Club from Dol, 460 miles. Only three birds clocked on the first day followed by 11th Open St.Malo Derby 450 miles. In the early sixties they continued to show further encouraging signs as and out and out supreme family crossed with my own more so at National level including 5th and 18th Open INFC O/Bird National Les Sables 600 miles, only 48 birds in race time. In 1963 29th Open INFC Les Sables O/Bird National 600 miles. 1964 and as you would imagine success continued from the ultimate tests this time Nantes 44th and 66th Kings Cup with seven sent and all seven confirmed home with 6 making it in race time. 1965 seen this family of pigeons record 14th, 35th, 40th, 41st and 47th O/B National Nantes 550 miles, this I consider to be my best performance from a National race. I am sure these performances would satisfy most fanciers and they up till this day are still flying well, for in the present season 1971 they scored in all three National races, 25th Open INFC Nantes, 1st Open Penzance Y/Bird National and finally 86th Open INFC Skibbereen Y/B Derby.

To get back to my loft management and the plans that I make during the winter season for the following years campaign. I firmly believe that the months of September, October and November are the most important of the year, when a good moult is the first essential of a successful season.

My birds are parted early in September and during this period they get as much food as they will eat, plus the odd handful of linseed. On fine days a bath is provided for the birds, when they would be out for exercise enjoying their freedom for a few hours. Regarding feeding, I must say I have no hard or fast rule on this subject, having found through the years that my birds have flown equally well on good beans, a sound mixture and maple peas. The only important thing to remember is that the food should be off the highest quality. Fresh grit and minerals are also an essential part of the pigeon’s diet.

The Ledgendary Bob Harkness of Crumlin holding the famous "Black Prince" winner of 1st Open INFC Y/Bird National

I have often been asked about the widowhood system of racing but I honestly have never tried it as I am quite certain that, for the type of races that I have in mind for my best pigeons, the natural system is by far the most suitable.

I start my breeding cycle around February with the first of my stock birds, continue with the yearlings in early March and, finally, the birds that I have picked during the winter season for the main long distance races are mated at the end of March. I have the plan always in my mind, as I have found through long experience that my family of pigeons come into their best form on their third pair of eggs. The first pair are hatched and reared by the parents, as a pair of sound pigeons should have no difficulty in rearing their young. The second pair of eggs are made blank and the birds sit the full cycle before going to nest for the third time.

I always try and aim for my Derby and National candidates to be sitting 10 days when basketed for the race and have had good results with this method. Really no magic, just good sound, common stock sense and the pigeon to do the job. At this stage of the year the birds are given an open hole and the hopper is always before them. I am rather fortunate in this matter as I live well out in the country and the birds can make the best of this open life. I am always a little worried regarding them going to the fields with so much danger about than can be picked up, but, I am sure, set against this is the fact that there is much nature provides that is valuable to the racing pigeon.

I keep a close watch on my picked pigeons to see that they fresh and clean when feeding, as this is a sure sign that all is well and I am always anxious about any pigeon that shows distress when feeding. It is a sign that this particular pigeon will not do well when the day is hard.

Those pigeons I have picked for the Derby and National races are given very little training, but are prepared at home and entered in picked races, usually giving them one Channel race before their big day. Here I must stress the importance of watching the pigeons form at home and if it has had no hard flying I would then, perhaps send it across the Channel for a second race. There is no hard and fast rule regarding the preparation of birds for long races. Some need the preliminary races while others can be lifted from 100 miles. Getting to know your family of pigeons is the secret and this can only be gained through years of experience.

My novice reader will be saying “Where does this put me?” and at this point I would venture this advice. Pigeon racing is one of the most difficult sports in which to reach the top in a few years, and this goes for the men with money. Pick a successful fancier who has been consistently at the top for a number of years and purchase from him four or six late breds, according to your means. Ask for his advice and take heed of it and be content that it will take some three or four years to see the fruits of your experience. One can buy pigeons from Tom, Dick and Harry and probably win, but the blending of a family is the most successful in the long run and the most rewarding for the true fancier.

My present family could be described as an in-bred family and I have had most success from the half-brother and half sister mating and have even bred as close as brother and sister. All you breed by the system will not be good ones, but tell me what other method will breed all good ones. I am convinced that you will breed more good pigeons by in-breeding.

I have often been asked, ‘Is it the man or pigeon which is the most important?’ In my mind there is no doubt – it is the pigeon. There are many fanciers who can win with any type of pigeon in Irish races, but for the Channel and Nationals it takes the goods. Regarding type I favour the medium to small pigeon, good strong back and short keel with strong eye sign. Now, that is a subject. I always look for strength of colour and what I describe as ‘character’. One will get this experience and form a picture in ones own mind what is required after a number of years, in which every opportunity should be taken to handle and view top-class winning pigeons. There are no short cuts to success.

Much has been written and said with regard to certain facts, the most popular being the wing, and here I find that if the pigeons are paired by the calendar, they should be in the right condition for their chosen race. If a flight goes before this race, I would not be deterred from sending the pigeon on, as I think this is quite natural and a sign of good health and that all is well.

"Black Prince" winner of 1st Open INFC Y/Bird National Penzance. Owned and Raced by Robert Harkness of Crumlin

I get a lot of pleasure from young bird racing and race most of my team to at least 160 miles. In fact, it was a young bird now named ‘Black Prince’ that was to bring me my greatest success in racing pigeons, that being 1st Open Irish National Flying Club Penzance (310 miles). These youngsters are, in fact, the foundation of my future team and any youngster that shows the slightest sign of weakness should be eliminated. I must stress that if one is going to be a successful fancier, the basket must hold the key to one’s success. It is a great thrill, and just reward for all the hard work and patience put into preparing long-distance pigeons, when they reach home after some 15 hours or more on the wing.

The year 1971 was one that gave me some of this pleasure, with 11 home from 12 sent to Dinard Derby (450 miles), and five home from seven sent to Nantes with the Irish National Flying Club (550 miles), clocking on the day to win 25th Open. Have late-breds a part to play in long-distance family? As I have said previously, I like my youngsters to fly at least 160 miles and I look for the youngsters to fly this distance and show no strain, if they are going to be retained. Therefore I use very Late-Breds. Against this, they can be the perfect material for a novice fancier or any other fancier starting on the road to establishing a team.

I think my greatest pleasure in this great sport has been the success of my family in other fancier’s hands. Over the past few years these bloodlines have been responsible for an INFC O/Bird National winner, two INFC Y/Bird National winners, two Dinard O/Bird Derby winners and many Open winners in the NIPA, Ulster Federation and East Down Combine.

A good sound loft, dry and perfectly ventilated, plays a big part in the fitness of your birds and more emphasis should be put on keeping it dry. This I had in mind when constructing my present loft, which is 40ft x 16ft with 8ft of loft and 8ft of verandah divided into two O/Bird sections, two Y/Bird sections and a small section. It is not essential to have a loft as big as this, but the point I am making is to keep in mind when constructing your loft, that you do all you can to make sure it is dry and you will not the difference in the form of the pigeons.

I have owned many good pigeons and bred quite a number for other fanciers over the years. In this article I do not wish to recall them all, but I do think it would be correct to include a word of mention for Billy Locke’s great Red Hen ‘Elizabeth’. It was through this hen and her mother, a Blue Hen, that the pillars of my present team have been founded, as over the years no pigeon I have crossed into them has found a permanent perch in my loft.

In Conclusion, my remarks to a fellow fancier would be to establish a family of pigeons by the method I have advised, have patience and be prepared to wait some four years before putting the family to the severe test, always keeping in mind that one would only get out of pigeons just as much as one is prepared to put into them.

They (pigeons) can always bring a great deal of pleasure, and through this wonderful sport I have made many close friends.

This article was penned in 1971 by the Late and Great Bob Harkness of Crumlin, a master in the art of producing top class racing pigeons that were able to stand the test and more times than not succeed.
Irelands Own Pigeon Auctions

Return to “A look back at the 1970's”