Skibbereen North YB Nat - 2008

It was in 1932 that His Majesty King George V presented a new cup to the Irish National Flying Club to be known as The King George V Challenge Cup and was to be awarded to the winner of the OB Grand National.

The 1932 Grand National race was flown from Les Sables at a distance of some 600 miles and the race was won by R Hawthorn from Ligoniel in North Belfast.This race was flown under IHU rules and it was not until 1948 that the Kings Cup was flown under IHU and RPRA rules.The race in 1948 was won by Sammy Robinson from Belfast.

The Irish National Flying Club have a six race programme for the 2020 season which enables its members to compete in the inland Nationals or over the channel at the very highest level. I hope you will enjoy using the website as it will be a source of information through out the season. Good luck to all members competing in this years Nationals. Ronnie Johnston Patron INFC.

The INFC has 2,100 members across Ireland. The 6 Race Programme includes the famous Kings Cup from France. Friendship Nat is also France, Ylr Nat Sennen Cove, YB Nat Penzance and OB and YB Nat from Skibbereen. Numerous other awards including Gold Medal, Hall of Fame Diploma, Triple Championship, Single Bird Challenge, 3 Bird Championship, Merit Awards etc. Results, Reports, Latest News etc. See Website http://www.irishnationalflyingclub.com or http://www.infc.co.uk
willie reynolds

Skibbereen North YB Nat - 2008

Post by willie reynolds »

The INFC Skibbereen Inland Young Bird National convoy of 3,489 pigeons sent by 415 members competing for £14,696 in pools and prize money were liberated on Saturday September 20 at 9.45am in a Light South Wind. After such a difficult season with the weather last weekend especially for late September was excellent, despite this most lofts will be happy to see the finish of a season to remember. The overall winner was John Patterson of Ballylesson who timed at 14.14hrs to record velocity 1618. JP is a racing legend racing firstly with the Ulster Federation in Belfast in the Kingswood he won more than his share and won 1st Open on many occasions. I made my first visit at that time and was very impressed with a very small racing team, at that time as well John was the Ulster Fed Secretary. When he moved to the East Down Combine area a number of years ago his racing performance improved and he has won the Fancier of the Year award on numerous occasions. I am not sure of the actual count, it appears to exceed 50 x 1st Open that included both OB & YB Derbies. I don’t believe he ever had 1st National and can now add that to an impressive CV. Many congratulations have been placed on the website and are well deserved for a Champion of the Sport at a cool 81 years young, keep her going JP and many congratulations on this most recent success.

1st Open John Patterson of Ballylesson – Vel 1641, winning £853

In the final race of the year we had a highly respected winner who over the years has a CV second to none but which did not include a 1st Nat in the INFC. John Patterson at 81 years young is just as keen now as at any time, just ask the local competition in the East Down Combine area where he has dominated for many years and has won the Fancier of the Year award a record number of times. In the East Down Combine the loft has previously won 4 x 1st YB Derby from Skibbereen, and 2 x 1st OB Derby from – You guessed it Skibbereen. The bird this time was Five One the latest Champion timed at 2.13pm flying 250 miles. The birds were not race three weeks prior to the event, just flown around the house, the Blue tip hen was on pot eggs. Breeding was Soontjen x Grondelaer through friendship with Gerald Adair and Gerry McCourt. Only five young bird races flown before YB Nat, the loft won 3 x 1sts and 2 x 2nds, how about that!

2nd Open Jeff Greenaway of Hills & Maze – Vel 1624, winning £340

The first NIPA loft in the result needs no introduction Jeff Greenaway from the Hillsborough & Maze fronts the famous Universal Lofts (North & South) with partner Sheldon Leonard who has a base in Arklow. We have featured this loft and partnership many times over previous months and results this season are up to the usual high standard. Two early arrivals from Skibbereen had the loft winning 2nd and 5th Open & North Sect INFC. Before that in the young bird season 23rd, 24th, 34th, 36th, 82nd, 93rd and 96th Open NIPA Roscrea with 26,568 birds competing; 14th, 15th, 29th, and 144th Open NIPA Pilmore Beach with 23,203 birds competing; 2nd Sect D & 13th Open NIPA Mullingar with 4,175 birds competing; 4th Sect D & 29th Open NIPA Fermoy 5 Bird with 1,446 birds competing; 2nd & 3rd Sect D and 8th, 15th, 24th, 64th, 76th and 83rd Open NIPA Rosscarbery Nat with 4,329 birds competing. First bird timed at 2.00pm was a Cheq hen sent feeding a 10 day baby. Koopman on one side was a gift bird direct from Koopman and paired to a son of his old original SVR foundation pair of birds responsible for numerous winners.

See loft feature by Adie on www.pigeonnetwork.com It was meant to be Sect D Fancier of the Year AGAIN!

3rd Open B Carson & Son of Lurgan Amateur – Vel 1623, winning £280

Brian Carson and son Mark race to Pines Court on the outskirts of Lurgan and they race the birds with Lurgan Amateur. This year the partnership bred 30 young birds and these were flown Natural. In this race their Blue Cheq Frans Van Wildemeersch hen was clocked at 14.00hrs flying 235 miles to record velocity 1623. The youngster was just on her third race having previously flown from Fermoy and Rosscarbery earlier in the month, and she was just flying to the perch. Both the sire and dam were gift birds from Philip Castles of the Lurgan Social and these were bred from pigeons his father had purchased from the late B Fletcher & Son from Portadown who had a star collection of the FVW strain, probably the best in the UK & Ireland. Earlier this year the loft finished 63rd North Sect & 81st Open INFC in the Yearling Nat from Sennen Cove, recording velocity 851 and flying 303 miles. The lofts biggest win to date was in 1999 when their 2yo Slate Janssen hen “Markies Girl” won 1st Sect E & 1st Open NIPA Old Bird Derby from St Malo in France recording velocity 1498, flying 443 miles. The sire was purchased at the INFC Show from a well known local stud, bred down from Louella’s famous Sheer Elegance and the dam was down from Janssens obtained from Herbie Phillips of Derriaghy a loft that has supplied numerous winners for others.

N.I.P.A OLD BIRD DERBY WINNER WAS A SLATEY JANSEEN HEN NAMED MARKIES GIRL FLYING 443 MILES.
THE SIRE WAS PURCHASED AT THE KINGS HALL FROM WAVENEY LOFTS AND IS BRED DOWN FROM LOUELLA'S
FAMOUS HEN 'SHEER ELEGANCE'. THE DAM WAS BRED DOWN FROM JANSEENS FROM HERBIE PHILIPS OF DERRIAGHY.

4th Open Carroll Reynolds of Dollingstown – Vel 1621, winning £392

I race in Dollingstown HPS and started in pigeon back in 1979 being conscripted into pigeons by my father Irvine (Ciggy) Reynolds who raced in the partnership of Reynolds and Creighton.
He raced a fair pigeon and strove to win from the first race to the last and had his fair share of success winning the YB Skibbereen Derby with Spitfire, the OB Derby from Avranches with Black Gold and an INFC Hall of Fame with Black Magic, to name a few that I remember.
My dad was totally dedicated to pigeons as indeed is this years winner Mr John Patterson who I remember visiting the loft in Dollingstown many years ago along with Ken Tompsett and Ronnie Johnston. Many congratulations to John on a well deserved victory.

As I said earlier I started in 1979 racing in Lurgan Social in partnership with my daughter Paula as P & C Reynolds. We had some good results those I remember being 1st Open NIPA Penzance in 1983, 1st Open INFC Skibbereen YB Nat in 1985 and also 1st Open INFC Yearling Nat from the Boat Race in 1986.

My dad passed away 20 years ago this year and shortly after that I moved to a house where I wasn't able to keep pigeons so I moved my birds to dad's lofts which were still in situ. Paula lost interest in the birds as they weren't at home and about that time I moved to Dollingstown Club which was more convenient and raced under my own name.

I have enjoyed having pigeons over the last number of years and although I haven't had the time necessary to stay at the same level as I had in the early days I kept them purely for the pleasure they give and happy to get the odd result now and then. I have had a bit more time over the last 2 or 3 years and the results have been a bit better. I started this years Young Bird programme with 41 birds putting them on the Dark about the 2nd week in March. I still work full time so as the birds weren't being darkened to around 8.00pm and I don't have automatic timers or anything like that, my mum who is now 85 yrs old opened up for me every morning. Thanks Mum.

The two pigeons I timed from Skibbereen were both Blue cocks. The first arrival on 4th Open was sent feeding a big youngster, and down again on eggs about 7 days. He was raced right through the programme and was showing well every week being around 70th Open NIPA a couple of weeks earlier with his nest mate winning the club and 7th Open NIPA , the two brothers also winning 1st & 2nd in the 2 Bird club.

The first bird was bred in the racing loft, his sire being a yearling from a FVW cock when paired to a great grand-daughter of the cock which was 1st Open INFC Y/B Skibbereen Nat. for me 23 years ago way back in 1985. The FVW was from two gift birds from two very good friends, the cock from Kevin Henderson of Lurgan and the hen from Ronnie Pentland of Dumfries in Scotland. This yearling had raced very well as a young bird winning a 1st and 3rd and then refused to trap when home in time to win two more races. I thought it was worth trying a couple off him and this year I paired him to a two yr. old hen out of a Flor Engels cock I got from Frank Sheader and a Robert Jones Jan Aarden again through Kevin Henderson. It proved well worth trying as they bred a 4th Open Nat winning the Nom, & 7th Open NIPA

5th Open Jeff Greenaway of Universal Lofts – Vel 1620, winning £175
This Pen Blue cock was timed at 2.01pm and had won 14th Open NIPA a bit earlier. Sire was his own good racing cock that had previously won 2nd North Sect in this same race in 2002, the dam was down from partner Sheldon Leonard including the bloodlines of the famous 36 Cock of Andre Roodhooft.

6th Open Mr & Mrs Braniff of the Colin HPS – Vel 1618, winning £707

The big early bird at the Muckamore Centre was timed by M/M Braniff of the Colin HPS in the Belfast area timed at 14.14hrs they record velocity 1618 for the 247 miles. Gabe Braniff puts up the best loft result since joining the sport just around five seasons ago, in 2008 they have won a best ever 5 x 1sts in the young bird programme. The bird a Cheq Pied hen on Darkness won the week previous from Rosscarbery winning 13th Sect D & 88th Open NIPA collecting £258. She was sitting on overdue eggs and was slipped a big youngster just before Skibbereen, this tactic had worked with an aunt the season previous, results were better this time. M/M Braniff race a family of birds made up of the old Busschaert bloodlines adding Frans Van Wildemeersch and producing a long line of winners. When this clock arrived at Muckamore Centre we knew right away it was early, and would feature probably up at the top of the result.

7th Open Beggs & Hall of Larne & District HPS – Vel 1602, winning £120

The second best bird at Muckamore Centre and only two lofts broke the 1600ypm barrier, Beggs & Hall were best in Larne an area that over the years used to dominate from Skibbereen and they had the best bird into East Antrim. Adrian and Marie had a super card their first bird at 13.41hrs recorded velocity 1602 for the 269 miles. The first three arrivals for the loft were well placed finishing 7th, 21st and 26th Open INFC. The loft had been in top form in recent races winning at the end of last month from Tullamore 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th Sect C and 3rd, 10th, 11th and 16th Open NIPA with 10,476 birds competing. Then from Fermoy at the start of this month 1st Club, plus 14th, 19th, 28th, 34th and 45th Sect C with 2,629 birds. In the local club a top result as well with 11 birds in the Top 15. The bird was a Blue cock, on widowhood and a Darkie. Bloodlines were Wal Zoontjens x Panis, the sire was purchased at the Ray Lander Sale in Larne Clubrooms and the dam was obtained from A & R McAuley. Adrian raced four birds the same way bred and all four including the Skibbereen bird had collected prizes. Although he won 1st Open NIPA from Thurles in 2006, this INFC position of 7th Open is his top result, in this race last season he finished 11th Open INFC.

8th Open Carroll Reynolds of Dollingstown – Vel 1597, winning £85

My second bird on 8th Open INFC, was sent sitting about 10 days. He again was bred from two yearlings. Both sire and dam being SVR youngsters sent over from Scotland last year by Wully Smyth, again though Ronnie Pentland. I get all products for the birds from the Beattie Family and have done since Henry started in the business over 20 years ago. This year Cyril recommended Marimans Super Winner for the young birds and I fed this through the season with Beatties own Champion Supreme, added towards the end of the week. I also used Orego Stim in the drinker most days. The birds stayed healthy and in good feather. Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to Homer for the tireless work he has done for the sport we love and not forgetting the officials of our organizations who have tried to give us racing every week in very difficult circumstances. Many thanks Carroll for the bird info and other snips.

9th Open E McAlinden & Sons Drumnavaddy – Vel 1596, winning £341. Top racer in the Banbridge area Eddie McAlinden has an outstanding record, he has recently scored very well in the INFC Yearling Nat and this latest winner has all the bloodlines, really well bred is this one. Cheq Pied hen was steady over the programme and was the lofts first bird from Skibbereen. The sire is a son of Cathy’s Pride the Yearling National winner for the loft she was paired back to he own father for this one. The dam is a daughter of another good bird the Triple Crown Hen this one had 1st North Sect in the Yearling Nat. I got a photo of Eddie as he was putting through his birds for this race.

10th Open T Greenaway Gilford & District – Vel 1592, winning £198. Trevor has had a very good year, the youngsters especially performed well and he had 6 x 1sts in Gilford & Dist and is the seasons Top Prize-winner. His Blue Cheq hen is Soontjen bred from a pair of birds obtained from Frank Sheader both grandchildren from Champion 601. Over the last few years a number of birds from this line have scored well. The young hen was on Darkness and won the last two races, sitting due to hatch and then sitting on overdue eggs for Skibbereen. One week earlier she took 1st Club, 2nd Sect E & 11th Open NIPA Rosscarbery YB Nat and then from Skibbereen 1st Club, 1st Bann Valley 2 Bird, and 10th Open INFC. I look forward to meeting Trevor at some of the forthcoming sales.

The INFC Skibbereen Inland Young Bird National convoy of 3,489 pigeons sent by 415 members competing for £14,696 in pools and prize money were liberated on Saturday September 20 at 9.45am in a Light South Wind. After such a difficult season with the weather last weekend especially for late September was excellent, despite this most lofts will be happy to see the finish of a season to remember. The overall winner was John Patterson of Ballylesson who timed at 14.14hrs to record velocity 1618. JP is a racing legend racing firstly with the Ulster Federation in Belfast in the Kingswood he won more than his share and won 1st Open on many occasions. I made my first visit at that time and was very impressed with a very small racing team, at that time as well John was the Ulster Fed Secretary. When he moved to the East Down Combine area a number of years ago his racing performance improved and he has won the Fancier of the Year award on numerous occasions. I am not sure of the actual count, it appears to exceed 50 x 1st Open that included both OB & YB Derbies. I dont believe he ever had 1st National and can now add that to an impressive CV. Many congratulations have been placed on the website and are well deserved for a Champion of the Sport at a cool 85 years young, keep her going JP and many congratulations on this most recent success.

INFC Skibbereen North YB Inland National 415/3,489 J Patterson Ballylesson 1641 IJKLM £853, J Greenaway Hills & Maze 1624 £340, B Carson & Son Lurgan Amat 1623 £280, C Reynolds Dollingstown 1621 NOM £392, J Greenaway 1620 £175, M/M G Braniff Colin 1618 IJKLMN £707, Beggs & Hall Larne & Dist 1602 £120, C Reynolds 1597 £85, E McAlinden & Sons Drumnavaddy 1596 IJKLM £341, T Greenaway Gilford 1592 IJKL £198, L F & B McGrath Drumnavaddy 1589 IJKLM £224, Furphy Bros Lurgan Soc 1588 IJKLMN £396, Furphy Bros 1586 IJKLM £205, T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda 1582 IJKLMN £338, Gregg Bros & McCandless Ligoniel 1581 IJKLM £163, McCartan & Woodside Crossgar 1578 IJKLM £163, T & G Kennedy Moira 1578 LM £117, G McKenna Eastway 1565 £35, L Magee & Son Lisburn & Dist 1564 £35, G Parker & Son Glenavy 1562 £35, Beggs & Hall 1561 £27, J McErlain Alexandra 1560 IJKLM £112, K Henderson & Son Lurgan Soc 1558 IJKL £74, McMurray & Anderson Ligoniel 1558 K £38, A & N Lewis Doagh & Dist 1553 IJKLMN £233, Beggs & Hall Larne & Dist 1552 IJKLMN £199, T McKinstry Dollingstown 1550 £27, Gregg Bros & McCandless Ligoniel 1548 IJKLMN £199, J Murtagh & Son Ballyholland 1547 L £52, R Adamson Corcreeney 1547 £27, W Neill Annaghmore 1546 £27, G Douglas Wilton Cross 1545 IJKL £74, D Dixon Ballymoney 1544 £27, M Graham Ballymena 1544 IJKLMN £199, V Thom Cookstown 1544 IJKLM £112, McCartan & Woodside Crossgar 1544 IJKLM £112, G McMullan Donacloney 1544 IJKLMN £199, G Douglas 1543 IJKL £74, W Neill 1543 £27, T & K Mawhinney Donacloney 1543 L £52, G McNeilly Ballyclare 1542 IJKLM £112, J Porter Grosvenor 1540 IJKLM £112, A S McNaghten Larne & Dist 1539 IJKLM £112, J & D Braniff Wheatfield 1539 LM £90, Donnelly Bros Newry City 1538 IJKLMN £181, C Hughes Laurelvale 1538 LM £90, P McGarrity Glenavy 1538 £27, G McNeilly Ballyclare 1537 IJKLM £99, G Douglas 1536 £27, Cromie & Magee & Son Ballynahinch 1536 IJKLM £99, D Harbinson Glenavy 1535 £27, R Adamson Corcreeney 1534 £27, A Cousins & Sons Ballylesson 1534 £27, B Creaney Drumcree 1534 £27, M Conlon & Sons Banbridge Soc 1533 L £39, D Calvin Bondhill 1532 IJK £48, T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda 1531 IJKLM £99, Mackey & Lockhart Ballylesson 1531 IJKLM £94, R Williamson Bondhill 1529 £27, M & T Griffith Alexandra 1529 IJKLM £88, Hutchinson Bros Ashfield 1529 IJKLM £83, B & H Marshall Newtownbreda 1529 IJKLM £64, E Murray Donacloney 1528 IJKL £45, S & K Duke Crossgar 1528 LM £53, R Benson Derriaghy 1527 £22, J Greenaway 1527 £22, McCartan & Woodside Crossgar 1526 IJKM £52, A S McNaghten 1525 IJKMN £121, G Buckley & Son Annaghmore 1525 £22, Doonan & McGuinness Dromore 1524 IJKMN £121, M Brown Dollingstown 1524 £22, D & J Armstrong & Son Carrick Soc 1524 IJKM £52, Beggs & Hall 1524 £22, T Thomas Carrick & Dist 1523, J Greenaway 1523 £22, Hartford & McNally Balbriggan 1523 OPQRS £250, M/M G Delaney Dromore 1523 IJKMN £121, M Brown 1523 IJ £27, N Weir Loughgall 1521 MN £93, G McKenna Eastway 1520 MN £93, N Weir 1520 £22, M Brown 1520 £22, G K & I Moxham Larne & Dist 1519 M £41, G Parker & Son 1518 £22, A McBride Harryville 1518 N £74, M/M Roche & Daughter Ind South 1517 R £119, G Parker & Son 1517 £22, M/M R Reid Carrick & Dist 1517 £22, D Calvin 1516 £22, M/M G Delaney 1516 £22, D Calvin 1515 £22, McCartan & Woodside 1515 £22, G Parker & Son Glenavy 1514 £22, Furphy Bros 1514 N £74, A Cousins & Sons Ballylesson 1513 N £74, T & K Mawhinney 1513 £22, E Burton Kingswood 1512 £22, E & M Curran Armagh 1511 £22, J Murtagh & Son Ballyholland 1511 £22, T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda 1511 £22, J & N Lamb Crumlin 1510 £22, H McLaughlin Coalisland 1510 £22, D Mawhinney & Son Dollingstown 1509 £18, T & K Mawhinney 1509 £18, W McDowell & Son Milltown 1509 £18, Donnelly Bros Newry City 1508 £18, G Douglas 1507 £18, L Donnelly & Son Finglas 1506 £75, G F Lindsay Crumlin 1606 N £70, Hawthorne & Prescott Armagh 1505 £18, D & M Lilley & Withers Glenavy 1505 N £70, E McKnight Portadown Inv 1505 £18, Donnelly Bros 1505 N £70, M Hughes Edgarstown 1505 £18, M Brown Dollingstown 1504 £18, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1504 £18, G F Lindsay Crumlin 1503 £18, G Buckley & Sons Annaghmore 1503 £18, I Mawhinney & Son Moira 1502 £18, D & H Stuart Ballymoney 1502 £18, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1502 £18, M Brown Dollingstown 1501 £18, Brown & Shaw Dromore 1501 £18, G McMullan Donacloney 1501 £18, J Greenaway Hills & Maze 1501 £18, Hartford & McNally Balbriggan 1501 OPQRS £164, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1500 £18, G Parker & Son Glenavy 1500 £18, J Burrows Eastway 1499 £18, J Greenaway 1499 £18, Hutchinson Bros Ashfield 1499 £18, S & K Duke Crossgar 1499 £18, J Mount & Son Milltown 1498 £18, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1498 £18, G Parker & Son 1498 £14, J McErlean Alexandra 1498 £14, J McGreevy Crossgar 1498 £14, G K Porter Glenavy 1498 £14, J Smyth & Sons Drumnavaddy 1498 £14, H Jennings & Sons Hills & Maze 1498 £14, H McLaughlin Coalisland 1497 £14, D Croskery & Son Annsborough 1497 £14, J Young & Partners Dundonald 1497 £14, D Calvin Bondhill 1496 £14, K Henderson & Son Lurgan Soc 1496 £14, M Brown Dollingstown 1495 £14, G Douglas 1495 £14, M Laffin Lisburn & Dist 1495 £14, A S McNaghten Larne & Dist 1494 £14, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1494 £18, M Croskery Annsborough 1494 £14, J Greenaway 1493 £14, Kincaid & McCann Dunedin 1493 £14, A Benson Lagan Valley 1493 £14, T McKinstry Dollingstown 1492 £14, Capper Bros Bondhill 1492 £14, Hutchinson Bros Ashfield 1492 £14, McGann Bros Britannia 1492 £14, D & J Campbell & Bigger Glengormley 1492 £14, R McMeekin Kingsmoss 1492 £14, M/M Stevenson Dromara 1491 £14, McCartan & Woodside Crossgar 1491 £14, J Greenaway 1491 £14, T Greenaway Gilford 1491 £14, McCartan & Woodside 1490 £14, A Cousins & Sons Ballylesson 1490 £14, B McKeown & Sons Largymore 1490 £14, A Cousins & Sons 1489 £14, B OMara & Granddaughter Ind South 1489 O £62, R McMeekin Kingsmoss 1489 £14, D Dixon Ballymoney 1489 £14, S & J McCullough Dollingstown 1489 £14, L Magee & Son Lisburn & Dist 1489 £14, G F Lindsay Crumlin 1488 £14, M Taylor Glenavy 1488 £14, W Cannaway Portadown Inv 1488 £10, W Gault & Son Kingsmoss 1488 $10, R Topping & Son Lisburn & Dist 1488 £10, J Connolly Ballymoney 1488 £10, R D Calvin Annaghmore 1488 £10, G McMullan Donacloney 1487 £10, J Greenaway 1487 £10, B Creaney Drumcree 1486 £10, J Patterson Ballylesson 1486 £10, E McAlinden & Sons Drumnavaddy 1486 £10, A OHanlon Andersonstown 1485 £10,J Smyth & Sons Drumnavaddy 1485 £10, D Croskery & Son Annsborough 1485 £10, J Hall & Son Cloughey 1484 £10, D & J Campbell & Bigger 1484 £10, B McKeown & Sons Largymore 1484 £10, G F Lindsay 1484 £10, Arthurs & George Ballycarry 1484 £10, W Neill Annaghmore 1484 £10, D Calvin 1484 £10, J Smyth & Sons Drumnavaddy 1483 £10, J Guildea & Son Balbriggan 1483 £55, M Laffin Lisburn & Dist 1483 £10, J Smyth & Sons 1483 £10, B Creaney 1483 £10, M Foulis Dundonald 1482 £10, N Weir Loughgall 1481 £10, G Smyth Largymore 1481 £10, Evans & Leahy Kingswood 1481 £10, S Kelly & Sons Balbriggan 1480 £45, T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda 1480 £10, W Cannaway Portadown Inv 1479 £10, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1478 £10, A OHanlon Andersonstown 1477 £10, T Marshall & Son 1476 £10, G Douglas 1476 £10, J Rock Harryville 1476 £10, M Rice Wilton Cross 1476 £10, O Markey Ballyholland 1476 £10, T Lennon & Son Banbridge Soc 1475 £10, J Greenaway 1474 £10, P & K McCarthy Grosvenor 1473 £10, D Dixon 1473 £10, M Conlon & Sons Banbridge Soc 1473 £10, M & T Griffith Alexandra 1473 £10, Hutchinson Bros 1472 £10.

Remainder of South Section W Matthews Ballybrack 1469 £45, Hartford & McNally Balbriggan 1451 £38, S Kelly & Sons Balbriggan 1448 £34, E Campbell Balbriggan 1445 £25, P J Corcoran & Son Balbriggan 1441 £25, B OMara & Granddaughter Ind South 1434 O £30, S Cunningham & Sons Sallynoggin 1432 £25, Hartford & McNally Balbriggan 1431 £25, E Campbell Balbriggan 1430 OPQR £77, E Barnes & Son Sallynoggin 1428 £25, S Kelly & Sons Balbriggan 1425 £25, E Barnes & Son 1423 £25, D Campion Balbriggan 1418 £25, L Donnelly & Son Finglas 1416 £20, G OMara & Family Ind South 1411 O £24, D Campion 1407 £20, B Doyle Bray SE 1403 £20, L Donnelly & Son Finglas 1402 OPQRST £177, M & J OReilly Arklow Utd 1399 RS £63, M & J OReilly 1397 RS £55, L Donnelly & Son 1397 £20, P J Corcoran & Son Balbriggan 1395 £20, P J Corcoran & Son 1394 £20, E Barnes & Son 1394 £14, E Campbell 1394 £14, E Barnes & Son 1392 £14, Ingle Bros Ind South 1389 OPQRST £142, M/M Roche & Daughter Ind South 1388 R £25, W Ellis Ballybrack 1387 OPQ £34, S Kelly & Sons 1375 £14, M & J OReilly 1374 OPQRS £55, PJ Corcoran & Son Balbriggan 1369 OPQRST & NOM £171, S Kelly & Sons 1364 £14, Dobbs Bros Wexford Utd 1362 OPQRST £106, Dobbs Bros 1355 OPQRST £94, Byrne & Mooney Stillorgan 1355 OPQR £34, T Hore Wexford N & S 1352 £14, W & M Hore Wexford N & S 1351 OPQRS £45, V Brady Jnr Bray SE 1344 £14, T & T Moorehouse Rathnew 1343 £14, Gregory Bros Rathnew 1343 PQ £21, N Grant & Sons Balbriggan 1336 £14, M McCabe & Son Ballybrack 1333 £14, P Thornton Dublin NC 1331 £14, Reilly & Martin Bray SE 1325 £14, P Thornton 1324 £14, E Barnes & Son 1324 £14, B Doyle Bray SE 1323 £14, P Cullen Malahide & Dist 1323 P £2, W Ellis Ballybrack 1321 PQ £7, J Sharkey Boyne Valley 1311 QST £41, G Daly & Son Ind South 1310 S £9, W & M Hore 1302 S £9, Arthurs Bros Finglas 1296 ST £37, Fitzgerald & Breen Bray SE 1295 T £28. Race sponsored by Harkers Hormoform.

Beggs & Hall from Larne & District had the best East Antrim Card at the Muckamore Centre from Skibbereen North he came very close timing his first bird at 13.41hrs to record velocity 1602 for the 269 miles. The first three arrivals were well placed finishing 7th, 21st and 26th Open INFC. Gregg Bros & McCandless from Ligoniel had another super race and from the same club McMurray & Anderson were also well placed. Gary McKenna from Eastway a regular visitor to Muckamore had 1st Club again, A & N Lewis were 1st Doagh & District and Glen McNeilly had 1st & 2nd Ballyclare. The D & J Armstrong & Son team were best in Carrickfergus followed by Terry Thomas and Mr & Mrs Robert Reid.

East Antrim Combine Skibbereen North YB Nat Beggs & Hall Larne & Dist 1602, Gregg Bros & McCandless Ligoniel 1581, G McKenna Eastway 1565, Beggs & Hall 1561, McMurray & Anderson Ligoniel 1558, A & N Lewis Doagh & Dist 1553, Beggs & Hall 1552, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1548, G McNeilly Ballyclare 1542, A S McNaghten Larne & Dist 1539, G McNeilly 1537, A S McNaghten 1525, D & J Armstrong & Son Carrick Soc 1524, Beggs & Hall 1524, T Thomas Carrick & Dist 1523, G McKenna 1520, G K & I Moxham Larne & Dist 1519, M/M R Reid Carrick & Dist 1517, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1504, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1502, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1500, J Burrows Eastway 1499, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1498, A S McNaghten 1494, Gregg Bros & McCandless 1494, D & J Campbell & Bigger Glengormley 1492, R McMeekin Kingsmoss 1492, R McMeekin 1489, W Gault & Son Kingsmoss 1488, D & J Campbell & Bigger 1484.

What a result in the final young bird race of the season a photo finish with Danny Dixon beating Martin Graham by the margin of .003ypm. Danny is a previous winner from Skibbereen and his Blue hen had most races in the programme. She was timed at 14.48hrs recording velocity 1544.942 for the 266 miles into Dunloy. Martin Graham timed his Fermoy Mid Antrim Combine winner at 13.41hrs to record velocity 1544.939 for the 260 miles to the Old Cullybackey Road in Ballymena. This bird was Willy Jacobs bloodlines obtained from Gerald Delaney a strain that has done very well in 2008 and Martin has produced some of that success. Allen McBride topped Harryville with the same bird that won the week previous from Rosscarbery and Leonard Davidson finished the young birds by winning two in a row in Rasharkin & Dist.

Mid Antrim Combine Skibbereen North YB Nat D Dixon Rasharkin 1544, M Graham Ballymena 1544, A McBride Harryville 1518, D Dixon 1489, J Rock Harryville 1476, D Dixon 1473, G Gibson Cullybackey 1438, L Davidson Rasharkin 1424, G & A Eagleson Broughshane 1423, J Orr & Son Ahoghill 1407, Milliken & Barkley Rasharkin 1407, J & N Simpson Broughshane 1400, D Dixon 1399, H Turkington Kells 1397, H Turkington 1396, G & A Eagleson 1391, J Orr & Son 1384, J Rock 1382, D Dixon 1375, H Turkington 1364, D Houston & Son Broughshane 1353, Milliken & Barkley 1345, Russell Bros Cullybackey 1336, T & R Alexander & Son Harryville 1327, G Gibson 1325, J Rock 1311, T & R Alexander & Son 1302, J Rock 1302, G Gibson 1300, L Davidson 1298.

Gordon Parker & Son from Glenavy & Dist had a Top Card at Muckamore Centre he had six birds placed in the result finishing 20th Open with the first one recording velocity 1562. Also well placed from the same club was P McGarrity (1538), and Dougie Harbinson (1535), J & N Lamb were in for Crumlin & Dist (1510), and from the same club G F Lindsay (1506) the loft that had a super race from Sennen Cove with five day birds from an entry of seven.

The high flying Nelson Weir from Loughgall was best in the Orchard Combine in the final race of the young bird season from Skibbereen North. He had two birds arrive together to take 1st & 2nd and the winner recorded velocity 1521, thanks to Sonya Beattie who supplied results all year keeping this area to the fore in the publicity stakes.

Orchard Combine Championship Club Skibbereen North YB Inl Nat N Weir Loughgall 1521, N Weir 1520, E & M Curran Armagh 1514, Hawthorne & Prescott Armagh 1506, N Weir 1481, M McGlinchey Charlemont 1465, N Weir 1456, S Corrigan Loughgall 1456, P Grew Charlemont 1448, M McGlinchey 1428, E Grew Charlemont 1425, E Grew 1415, S Corrigan Loughgall 1410, E & M Curran 1383, N Weir 1379, E Grew 1373, Hawthorne & Prescott 1363, M McGlinchey 1358, E Murtagh & Sons Armagh 1352, R Parkes & Son Armagh 1348.

Club Results Skibbereen North

Lurgan Amateur B Carson & Son 1623.

Larne & District Beggs & Hall 1602, 1560, 1552, A S McNaghten 1541, 1527, G K & I Moxham 1519. Adrian and Marie complete the young bird season with a Super Card, top three birds in the club and best in East Antrim at the Muckamore Centre. In the INFC Open Result they finish 7th, 21st and 26th.

Drumnavaddy L F & B McGrath 1589, J Smyth & Sons 1498, E McAlinden & Sons 1486, J Smyth & Sons 1485. Good win for Brendan McGrath of Dromore, this loft has had a good young bird season and this latest winner was from birds obtained from P & J Boal.

Wilton Cross G Douglas 1545, 1543, 1536, 1507.

Ballymoney HPS 5/42 D Dixon 1544, D & H Stuart 1502, D Dixon 1489, J Connolly 1488, D Dixon 1473, J Connolly 1457, D Dixon 1399, J Connolly 1399, J Hutchinson & Son 1394, D Dixon 1375, J Connolly 1341, D & H Stuart 1337.

Ballymena & District M Graham 1544, B ORawe 1178, 1099. A Polish rung bird has been found locally PL-741201000, contact Tel: 07907 000818.

Harryville HPS - A McBride 1520, J Rock 1478, 1384, R Alexander & Son 1329, J Rock 1313, R Alexander & Son 1304, J Rock 1304. Harryville have a meeting arranged for Monday 29th October in the clubrooms at 7.30pm.

Dervock IPS 3/16 D & H Stuart 1502, J Hutchinson & Son 1394, D & H Stuart 1337, 1330, W & L McCaw 998.

Bushmills Invitation Horner & Scott 3.39pm. Timed a Beverdam hen to win a record 15 x 1sts in the Windsor Social.

Armagh HPS E & M Curran 1514, Hawthorne & Prescott 1506, E & M Curran 1383, Hawthorne & Prescott 1363. Armagh 2 Bird Club 1st E Murtagh & Son, 2nd R Parkes & Son, 3rd M Shaw, 4th E & M Curran.

Monaghan HPS Cooney Bros 1470, P Coughlan 1386, Cooney Bros 1385, J Graham 1383, P Tierney 1344, Cooney Bros 1336.

Charlemont HPS M McGlinchey 1465, P Grew 1448, M McGlinchey 1428, E Grew 1425, 1415, 1373, M McGlinchey 1358, E Grew 1317.

The INFC Annual Dinner & Prize Presentation will be held once again in the Stormont Hotel, Belfast on Friday 28th November, tickets for this 4 Star Hotel are top value at £25. These can be booked through either Trevor Topping or Ronnie Johnston, and Ronnie as usual will take care of any bookings for overnight stay, which I believe is similar to last time. All cups and trophies should be returned by the end of September.

Return to “Irish National Flying Club”