Flying into the NW - Fermoy 08/09/12

Top competition in Derry City between the five local clubs Foyle, Maiden City, Londonderry, Ameila Earhart and Derry & Dist. Click here for all the latest news and results for the City of Derry Federation etc.
willie reynolds

Flying into the NW - Fermoy 08/09/12

Post by willie reynolds »

The young birds were back at Fermoy this week for the penultimate race of the season. Most North West fanciers are flying the best part of two hundred miles from this particular race point. And, with the young bird National next week from Roscarberry, that will see the end of racing for another year.

This week’s race turned out to be quite a strange one, with birds and velocities all over the place. In saying that, it has been a poor enough season all over, and not just here, but across the pond as well. It will probably be a season that a lot of men will just want to forget.

On then to our results for this week which will be somewhat shorter than usual as we have a couple of clubs that have not posted any results at the time of writing the article. This is a bit of a pity as members don’t then get any recognition for their achievements especially when we have a hard race.

We once again will have to start our round up in Omagh, where Alan Hall continues his fantastic run of form. Alan once again tops the Section and takes the top three positions in the Omagh club. Outstanding flying again this week from a man really on top of his game at the minute. The full result for the Omagh club was as follows, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Alan Hall 1614, 1586, 1460, 4th M Caldwell 1099.

Next up, to the Derry and District club, where again, another man Anthony Mc Crudden continues his rich vein of form with yet another win to follow up his success from Talbenny last week. Kieran Reid has another good race with three birds in the top five, with Cooley brothers again in the frame. The full result then for the Derry and District looks like this, 1st Anthony Mc Crudden 1559, 2nd, 4th and 5th B + K Reid 1461, 1409, 1306, 3rd Cooley Bros 1481.

In the Maiden City club this week, young Frankie Ramsey is a very popular winner. Always trying hard, and normally there or there about’s, Frankie will always pop up at some time to get a win. One bird man Seamus Morrison gets in for a good second, and I’m sure if his birds would trap instead of sitting out for at least half an hour every week in life, Seamus would win the club almost every week. Johnny Killen is in the frame again for third spot, with Roy and Gary Martin and Coyle Brothers Micky and Don, rounding out the top five. The full result for the Maiden City looks like this then, 1st Frankie Ramsey 1503, 2nd S Morrison 1461, 3rd J Killen 1356, 4th R + G Martin 1175, 5th Coyle Bros 1145.

In the Foyle club this week, an overdue return to top spot for Paul Maxwell who has been knocking at the door for the past few weeks. Raymond O Reilly continues his good run with second and fourth positions, while Paul Maxwell junior takes third, with old man Maxwell rounding out the top five. The full result for the Foyle then looked like this, 1st and 5th Paul Maxwell 1513, 1226, 2nd and 4th R O Reilly 1296, 1244, and 3rd P Maxwell Jnr 1270.

In the Londonderry club this week, the result is very short and sweet. Noel Murray once again takes top spot with Joe and Donal Kelly in second, and Donal Kelly and the Sow and Grow boys in third spot. The velocities looked like this, 1st Noel Murray 1136, 2nd J + D Kelly 1114, 3rd D Kelly 971.

Last but not least week we go to the Limavady where Ronnie Witherow cleans up yet again, taking the first four positions. Ronnie has had a truly outstanding season and will finish I’m sure as one of the North West’s top fanciers once again. The result for the Limavady club was 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Ronnie Witherow 1408, 1375, 1368, 1357.

Well done yet again to all our winners and all those who managed to get into the results. As I mentioned at the start, only one more to go and that’s that for another season. I will try to keep the column going as best I can in the off season. Any clubs who have presentations or prize giving’s in the months ahead or articles they would like featured, can send me any photos and a bit of information and I will get it in for them. Don’t forget that all the weekly results and features also go on the Internet, where I am reliably informed they are viewed by fanciers from all around the world. Maybe this accounts for the lack of photos from many of the clubs, (not too many pretty pigeon men about).

billyknox@btinternet.com

Return to “Flying into the North West by Billy Knox”