Farming Life - Wednesday 24/10/12

The News Letter, now in its fourth century of continuous publication, has come a long way since it first saw the light of day in 1737. On a visit to Northern Ireland, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth described the longevity of the newspaper as "an achievement in which the people of Northern Ireland can take great pride". Pigeon News is featured in the Farming Life supplement each Wednesday.
willie reynolds

Farming Life - Wednesday 24/10/12

Post by willie reynolds »

Pigeon Network News Update 23/10/12 –

Ballymena & District HPS: The club will be holding a Pigeon Moot with top guests at the Ballymena United Social Club, Warden Street this Thursday 25th October at 8.00pm. It’s a number of years since the club have run this sort of night and the venue should be handy enough for fanciers in this particular area, the town has always enjoyed good support. Supper is at half-time followed by a small sale of top quality late-breds from well-known lofts, and other friends of the club. Pay at the door, just £4.00. Guests attending from the East Down Combine will include Joe Cromie, Paddy Lue, Jackie Crossan and Rab Hunter, and Chairman for the evening will be Adie McCormick. Special guest will be Sean Diamond the CEO of the popular North Coast Classic One Loft Race based in Coleraine. Birds for sale are listed on www.pigeonnetwork.com, commission bids to Homer. For any further information contact Ballymena Chairman Tom McAlonan Tel:07561 417232 or Secretary Willie Reynolds Tel: 07538 238364. Dates for the Winter Show series will be set soon, they start next Monday 29th October with classes for Young Cock & Young Hen T/W and the Open Show will take place as usual on New Year’s Day which is Tuesday 1st January 2013. The annual dinner and prize distribution will be same weekend as last year, Friday 11th January 2013. Members should give their ring orders to Mrs Sempey. All the arrangements for the winter season are in the hands of the clubs hard working Events Committee that meet as required. Stock for sale will include the following, if you can't attend put in a commission bid!

Bird Presented by Danny Dixon, Ballymacaldrick Lofts

Black Cheq (h) GB12V 29154. This young pigeon is a full sister to “Heartbreaker” one of the best Lambrecht cocks to race in the NIPA. Winner of 5 x 1st including 1st Sect & 1st Open NIPA Tullamore and 1st Sect & 2nd Open NIPA Roscrea. Sire of 4 x 1sts, now going to stock.

Bird Presented by Martin Graham, Sunnyhill Lofts

Blue Pied (c) GB12B 05052. Sire “The Duke” a winner of 7 x 1sts inc. 4 x Rosscarbery Nat, Fermoy 5 Bird and Tullamore. 6 x NIPA Open prize-winner. Dam “Norma” when paired to 1st Sect & 19th Open NIPA Talbenny YB Nat. Half Sister to “Sunnyhill Supreme” Bronze Diploma Winner in 2010.

Pair of 2013 Y/Birds presented by W & J Smyth, Ballymena & Dist

Nice gesture by Ballymena & District President Billy Smyth, and brother Joe to present a pair of youngsters from their top winning family of birds to be raced in 2013. Top Prize-winners last year this loft race the entire programme with great success. A pair of young birds presented last year to Mrs Sempey for racing both won prizes and both flew the Talbenny YB Nat, one of the birds finished 9th Club. The W & J Smyth loft among other good awards have won the NIPA Sect B (Irish Region) Meritorious Award in both 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Bird Presented by McAlonan Bros, Ballymena & District

Club Chairman Tom McAlonan has presented a bird the very best of his distance family, bred for stock a direct daughter of his Bronze Diploma winner “Tommy’s Delight”. The sire GB06C-27328 has flown the Yearling Nat & Kings Cup Vannes and won 2nd Club, 60th Open in the St Malo National.

Bird Presented by Paddy Lue & Son, Downpatrick

Another good friend of the club, Paddy Lue from Downpatrick presents one of his best a young bird bred from birds direct from Rudi Hendrikv (The Vet). The Grizzle Pied IHU12N-08392 should attract a bit of attention, P Lue & Son had another top racing season in both the EDC & NIPA where the loft won the OB Fermoy 5 Bird Championship and the Sect F Fancier of the Year in Old Birds.

Bird Presented by Blair & Rankin, Ballymena & Dist

Pick of the nest in 2013, 1st or 2nd Round, super donation by Bertie Blair. His YB Nat 2nd Open INFC Penzance YB Nat winner of 2011 paired with his own mother.
Sire: Cheq (c) GB11B 24535 flown Talbenny then winner of 1st Club, 2nd MAC, 2nd North Sect & 2nd Open INFC Penzance YB Nat at 328 miles. Breeding Frank Sheader Soontjen x Van Loon.
Dam: Blue (h) GB10V 12590 always stock purchased from Danny Dixon, Ballymoney. Breeding Coward Talbot Van Loon lines.

Birds presented by M E Lofts of M/M M Sempey, Ballymena & District

The most improved racing loft in the Mid Antrim area Martin & Elke after a best ever racing season have presented a pair of their famous Van den Brande for racing in 2013. Sire Mealy GB12V 25101 winner of 2nd Club & 4th MAC. Dam Cheq Pied GB12V 25103 winner of 1st Club & 5th MAC. Top racing pair of VDB.

Commission Bids to Homer. Tel: 07538 238364. Auction at Ballymena Pigeon Moot.

Social Evening for Kells & District - Kells & District HPS: Have another Social Evening planned to take place in the Dunsilly Hotel, Antrim this Friday 26th October at 8.00pm, pay at the door. Entry including supper is £10, just £5 entry without supper. Raffle to be drawn at event with prizes: 1st £100, 2nd £50 and 3rd Basket of Fruit. There will be a display of Memorabilia, including many photos from the past. INFC President Syd Collins will Chair the proceedings assisted by Ronnie Johnston, “Irish Rover” of the Racing Pigeon. The evening will include an interview with Wesley Sawyers a Gold Medal winner in the Kings Cup race and a Video Show. Ryan Barr will explain the business behind his Belfast based Pigeon Diagnostics re improving health and performance. Free Test Kits for all attending, and a Shoping Voucher to be raffled from H Beattie & Son. Prior to the main event the Kells & District HPS will present the prizes for the year. The evening will finish with questions to the panel of guests. Full coverage next week.

Cullybackey HPS – The show season will continue this year again on the usual Saturday night starting this Saturday 27th October with classes for Young Cocks & Young Hens Through the Wires to be followed on Saturday 3rd November with classes for Old Cock & Old Hen Through the Wires. Other important dates for the club members, the annual dinner and prize presentation will take place in Adair Arms Hotel in Ballymena this Friday 26th October, contact the Secretary Edrick Davidson regarding tickets. Full coverage of the prize presentation next week. Diary Date: The annual Open Show will take place in the local clubrooms on Saturday 15th December.

Lurgan Social- The Lurgan Social series of shows will commence on Monday 5th November with classes for Any Age Cock or Hen. Special for the Best Young Bird.

The NIPA Champion Birds of the Year details have just been released, the presentation will take place at the Annual Ladies Night.

N.I.P.A. Champion Old Bird of the Year 2012 and J. Moreland Memorial Trophy
has been won by Gregg Bros & McCandless of Ligoniel & Dist, Grizzle (c) GB11L 30828 got 10 Votes. Runner-up P Lue & Son Downpatrick Blue (c) BELG09-5109120 got 5 Votes, 3rd Alan Craig Tandragee Dark Cheq (c) GB10T 00609 got 3 Votes.

N.I.P.A. Champion Young Bird of the Year 2012 and The Irish Region R.P.R.A. Trophy has been won by Gregory McEvoy of Beechpark Social, Blue (h) GB12D 32758 got 9 Votes. Runner-up shared with T & K Mawhinney of Donacloney Pencil Blue (c) GB12A 26821 and Gregory McEvoy Beechpark Soc Blue (c) GB12D 32754, both birds had 6 Votes.

Newtownbreda Sale Season - Auctioneer Ronnie Johnston Tel: (028) 90 483625.

Coming Up on Monday 29th October at 7.30pm Ronnie Johnston will present for auction a fabulous select draft of Heremans-Ceusters on behalf of John Wheatcroft (Nottingham). These are the pigeons that are the talk of the country. John has been a regular visitor to Northern Ireland going back to the early 80’s with visits at that time to the likes of Billy Parkes, Harry Stockman, Bob Harkness etc. John has travelled around Europe and has been at all the top lofts. He writes: I first saw the Hermans Ceusters pigeons when I went to a presentation of the Ave Regina Club with Pros Roosen, that would be in 2005. There was an auction there and all the top fanciers had donated a pigeon. Heremans Ceusters had put a lete bred Blue in and I thought it was the best pigeon there on the night. There was no pedigree on the pen, it just said Heremans Ceusters, I had’nt heard of the name. I could’nt stay until the auction and all the way driving up to my hotel in Holland I was thinking I should have stayed and tried to buy the late bred. I called in to see Ad Schaerlaeckens the following day and told him about this late bred. He asked me who bred the late bred and when I told him he laughed and said within three years it will be difficult to but these pigeons as Heremans Ceusters are flying that well. As soon as I got home I contacted Leo and bought five stock cocks. Then I bought five hens, Leo let me have some good birds. Then I heard that Herenans Ceusters would be having AN Entire Clearance Sale early in 2007, so I bought as many 2006 late breds as I could afford at the time from the best pigeons that I could get. I also bought birds at the Clearance Saleand selected birds when I could find them in Holland and Belgium. I also boiught five old breeders together with Willy McClelland. As you know I am a regular visiter to the Continent and have a lot of friends there who have kept an eye out for good ones for me. I have been lucky in that these Heremans Ceusters birds have bred winners for most people who have tried them from the start until the present day.
I have had the Van Dyck and Koopman birds from around 2004 when I bought my first ones from Kannibaal from Dirk van Dyck. I bought some old breeders from Gerard Koopman. The first youngter I bred from the daughter of Kannibaal won 1st Open NIPA Talbenny for Alan Darragh. She was paired with a son of Eric bred by Gerard Koopman. He is old now but has been responsible for several generations of winners inc. NIPA Open & Sections, INFC Yearling Nat winner, Ace Pigeons and an Olympiad bird in Holland etc.
I will also be sending a few birds from Danny van Dyck birds, I got the first youngsters from Kanon and his brother when they were racing as young birds. Mick Collins and myselk had one from each nest. I think I am right in saying we were amongst the first UK people to visit. I bought the Danny van Dyck birds with my friend Willy McClelland from Doagh and I am confident they will do well. Danny has raced very well the past few years inc being Ace YB Flyer in Belgium (KBDB) 2011.

Bookings are now being taken for tickets to the Annual NIPA Ladies Night to be held at the Templeton Hotel in Templepatrick on Friday 9th November. Secretary Fred Russell has requested that all cups and trophies are returned ASAP, and in a clean condition.

Charity Shows – Dates for the two big events in Ireland are Dublin Show on Saturday 3rd November and the INFC Show will be held in the Lisburn Leisure Plex on Saturday 8th December.

Please find below a list of all East Down Combine Winners for the 2012 season.

EAST DOWN COMBINE CUP WINNERS 2012

Ringland Classic Cup - Skibbereen Classic

McCartan & Woodsides Crossgar

Kilpatrick Cup - 1st Talbenny

J Young & Ptnrs Dundonald

Wm Lowery Cup - 2nd Talbenny

D Brennan Hillfoot

Derek Wishart Memorial Cup - Fermoy

Burgess & Brennan Bangor

Taylor Cup - Bude

Not Flown

McCausland Cup - Penzance

J Cleland Annsborough

H & S Muckle Cup Penzance Classic

J Cleland Annsborough

MacMillan Memorial Cup - St Malo O/B Derby

R Strain & Son Millisle & District

McNeil Memorial Cup - Kings Cup O/B National Vannes

G Hawthorne Millisle & District

E Carlisle Cup - 5th Old Bird Race Fermoy

G & P Brown Annsborough

Castlewellan Show Cup - 5th Young Bird Race 1st Mount Charles

C & D Smyth & Sons Ballylesson

Jefford Memorial Cup - Lowest Inland Velocity

A Crawford Ballylesson Vel 1173

R Johnston Cup - 1st Skibbereen Y/B Derby

Skibbereen Cup – Ken McConaghie Skibbereen Y/B Derby

Burgess & Brennan Bangor

Charity Shield - Talbenny Y/B Derby

S & K Duke Crossgar

AVERAGE CUPS

Brown Cup - Old Bird Average S Brown & Sons Dundonald Vel 1258

McCartan Memorial Cup-Old Bird Inland Average

S Brown & Sons Dundonald Vel 1308

L & A Fields Memorial Cup-Best Average O/B Classic

& O/B Derby R Strain & Son Millisle & District Vel 1220

MRS Magee Cup-Young Bird Average M Foulis Dundonald Vel 1581

D Logan Cup-Best Average Penzance & 2nd Skibbereen Y/B Derby

McCartan & Woodsides Crossgar Vel1480

North Region Cup-Best Average Over 3 Channel Races

T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda Vel 1204

McCloud Cup-Best Average Over All Derbies

T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda Vel 1534

Newcombe Trophy-Best Average last 3 O/B & Last 2 Y/B Races

S Brown & Sons Dundonald Vel 1329

R Moore & Son Cup-Best Average Over Channel Championship Races

R Moore & Son Bangor Vel1189

E Hardy Memorial Cup-Best Average Last O/B and Last Y/B Races

C & D Smyth & Sons Ballylesson Vel1424

Marie Cromie Memorial Cup-Best Average Y/B Inland Derby Races

M & A Johnston Newtownbreda Vel 1859

R Russell Memorial Cup-Best Average Channel Races Plus O/B Derby

T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda Vel 1283

Morrow Cup - Under 21 Fancier Of The Year

Jack & Jessica Rogan Newcastle

Ian Cousins Memorial Cup-Best Average O/B Classic & 2 Y/B Inland Derby Races
McCartan & Woodsides Crossgar Vel 1643

H Morrow Memorial Cup-Fancier Of The Year 2012

S Brown & Sons Dundonald

I.H.U. MERITORIOUS AWARD WINNERS 2012

1st Talbenny & Fermoy S Brown & Sons Dundonald Vel 1192

2nd Talbenny & Penzance C & D Smyth & Sons Ballylesson Vel 1287

3 BIRD CHANNEL CHAMPIONSHIP 2012

1st Talbenny : S Brown & Sons Dundonald

2nd Talbenny : Mr & Mrs E Spence Hillfoot

Bude : Not Flown

Penzance : D Croskery & Sons Annsborough

OPEN & SECTION WINNERS 2012 OLD BIRD SEASON

Mullingar : 1st Open 1st East Section Gordon Bros & Sons Cloughey

1st West Section 8th Open McCartan & Woodsides Crossgar

Tullamore : 1st Open 1st East Section B Higgins Annalong

1st West Section R Hunter Ballynahinch

1st Mount Charles : 1st Open 1st West Section R Irwin Dundonald

1st East Section 7th Open Gordon Bros & Sons Cloughey

2nd Mount Charles1st Open1st West Section C & D Smyth & Sons Ballylesson

1st East Section 2nd Open J Cleland Annsborough

1st Fermoy:1st Open 1st East Section G & P Brown Annsborough

1st West Section 21st Open C & G Adair Crossgar

Skibbereen O/B Classic : 1st Open 1st West Section

McCartan & Woodsides Crossgar

1st East Section 2nd Open Gordon Bros & Sons Cloughey

3rd Mount Charles :1st Open 1st West Section A Crawford Ballylesson

1st East Section 2nd Open James Cleland Annsborough

1st Talbenny :1st Open 1st West Section J Young & Ptnrs Dundonald

1st East Section 2nd Open Burgess & Brennan Bangor

2nd Talbenny :1st Open 1st West Section D Brennan Hillfoot

1st East Section 3rd Open G & P Brown Annsborough

Fermoy Classic : 1st Open Burgess & Brennan Bangor

2nd Fermoy :1st Open 1st East Section K Rooney & Son Annalong

1st West Section 12th Open S & K Duke Crossgar

Penzance :1st Open 1st East Section J Cleland Annsborough

1st West Section 5th Open T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda

Penzance Classic:1st Open 1st East Section J Cleland Annsborough

1st West Section 4th Open T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda

St Malo O/B Derby :1st Open 1st East Section R Strain & Son Millisle

1st West Section T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda

OPEN & SECTION WINNER 2012 YOUNG BIRD SEASON

1st Navan : 1st Open 1st West Section M Foulis Dundonald

1st East Section 4th Open Gordon Bros & Sons Cloughey

2nd Navan : 1st Open 1st West Section M Foulis Dundonald

1st East Section 3rd Open Harper & Young Cloughey

Mullingar : 1st Open 1st East Section Gordon Bros & Sons Cloughey

1st West Section 22nd Open R Irwin Dundonald

Tullamore : 1st Open 1st West Section T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda

1st East Section 24th Open J McNally & Son Annsborough

1st Mount Charles : 1st Open 1st West Section C & D Smyth & Sons Ballylesson

1st East Section 7th Open C J Healy Killyleagh Central

Fermoy : 1st Open 1st West Section M Foulis Dundonald

1st East Section 9th Open R Moore & Son Bangor

1st Skibbereen Y/B Derby :1st Open 1st West Section

1st East Section 7th Open R Moore & Son Bangor

Talbenny Y/B Derby: 1st Open 1st West Section S & K Duke Crossgar

1st East Section 7th Open J McNally & Son Annsborough

2nd Mount Charles : 1st Open 1st West Section C & D Smyth & sons Ballylesson

1st East Section 7th Open Burgess & Brennan Bangor

2nd Skibbereen Y/B Derby: 1st Open 1st East Section Burgess & Brennan Bangor

1st West Section 2nd Open McCartan & Woodsides Crossgar

Champion Old Bird 2012
McCartan & Woodsides Crossgar 93 Points

Champion Young Bird 2012
S Brown & Sons Dundonald 80 Points

Club Champions 2012

Old Bird Season: Annsborough H.P.S. 152 Points
Young Bird Season : Dundonald H.P.S. 133 Points

Achievement Award Winners 2012
Awarded for a bird placed three times in Old Bird Derby Result
None Won

EAST DOWN COMBINE BREEDER/BUYER WINNERS 2012

Breeder: D & R Topping Buyer: D & R Topping

CENTRE PRIZE WINNERS 2012

Crossgar Centre

Skibbereen Classic – McCartan & Woodsides Crossgar

St Malo O/B Derby -- S & K Duke Crossgar

1st Skibbereen Y/B Derby – McCartan & Woodsides

Talbenny Y/B Derby – S & K Duke Crossgar

2nd Skibbereen Y/B Derby – McCartan & Woodsides

Ballywalter Centre

Skibbereen Classic – J Rankin Millisle

St Malo O/B Derby - R Strain & Son Millisle

1st Skibbereen Y/B Derby – R Moore & Son Bangor

Talbenny Y/B Derby – R Moore & Son Bangor

2nd Skibbereen Y/B Derby – Burgess & Brennan Bangor

Newtownbreda Centre

Skibbereen Classic – M Foulis Dundonald

St Malo O/B Derby - T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda

1st Skibbereen Y/B Derby – C & D Smyth & Sons Ballylesson

Talbenny Y/B Derby – S Brown & Sons Dundonald

2nd Skibbereen Y/B Derby – J Young & Ptnrs Dundonald

1st EAST DOWN COMBINE MEMBER IN IRISH NATIONAL
FLYING CLUB RACES 2012

Skibbereen O/B Inland National : 1st East Down Combine 4th Open

4th North Section R Johnston Comber Social

Sennen Cove Yearling National : 1st East Down Combine 5th Open

1st North Section B C T Foulis & Gill Dundonald

Plaudren - Vannes Kings Cup 1st East Down Combine 42nd Open

33rd North Section G Hawthorne Millisle

Quimper Friendship National : 1st East Down Combine 23rd Open

T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda

Penzance Young Bird National : 1st East Down Combine 46th Open

30th North Section McCormick & Muckle Donaghadee

Skibbereen Young Bird National : 1st East Down Combine 4th Open

4th North Section B & H Marshall Newtownbreda

EAST DOWN COMBINE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2012

Old Bird Inland Champion : McComb Bros Killyleagh Central 172 Points

Old Bird Inland Champion West Section : McCartan & Woodsidea Crossgar 78 Points

Old Bird Inland Champion East Section : J Cleland Annsborough 72 Points

Old Bird Channel Champion : T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda 124 Points

Old Bird Channel Champion West Section : T Marshall & Son Newtownbreda 63 Points

Old Bird Channel Champion East Section : K Rooney & Son Annalong 36 Points

Young Bird Champion : S Brown & Sons Dundonald 255 Points
Young Bird Champion West Section M Foulis Dundonald 128 Points
Young Bird Champion East Section R Moore & Son Bangor 128 Points

East Section Fancier of the Year 2012

R Moore & Son Bangor 593 Points

West Section Fancier of the Year 2012

McCartan & woodsides Crossgar 592 Points

East Down Combine Fanciers of the Year 2012

S Brown & Sons Dundonald 1495 Points

Any objection to the above results must be made in writing to the East Down
Combine Secretary within seven days.

Return to “NEWS LETTER/FARMING LIFE - First published in 1737 www.newsletter.co.uk”