Lisburn City & Around - 1st June 2013

The Pigeon Fancier, Top Loft Reports, Articles and much more... Plus Lisburn City & Around to include the NIPA Clubs in Lisburn and Dromore and Lisburn based Lagan Valley RPC who race in the Ulster Federation.
adie

Lisburn City & Around - 1st June 2013

Post by adie »

GIBB’S CHOICE’
LEADS THE WAY FOR RICKY McCULLOUGH

Having scribed for the Lisburn and indeed Section D area for a number of years now, and with an avalanche of previous material going back some 40 years available at my father’s home, something tells me I won’t require same to tell you that it has been some years if indeed it has ever been done before, that is a loft in Lisburn finishing 1st and 2nd Open NIPA from a cross channel event ??. Ricky McCullough has just achieved the fate which mirrors the one done by the legendary National loft of NIPA Chairman Alan Darragh, Cullybackey just a couple of years ago, finishing 1st an 2nd Open from Talbenny, you could argue that Ricky has gone one better by also finishing 4th and 32nd Open. But I will leave the debating up to the more educated fanciers. Without any doubt Ricky’s is the performance of the weekend.

Talbenny in South Wales was the race point for a number of organisations at the weekend, with the NIPA opting to release at 8.30am on Saturday morning in a Lt North West Wind. A difficult affair was on the cards with theoretically a head wind crossing the Irish Sea, and with the very evident heavy and prolonged showers, no one area was to have dominance which for most of the time can be expected from the cross channel events. Looking at the NIPA Open result supplied to my father ’Homer’ at lunch time on Sunday and well done once again to the hard working Secretary Fred Russell who is doing a Stirling job in putting together the result in such short time. As predicted and looking through and analysing as I do, I see seven different NIPA Section Winners in the first 27 of the NIPA Open what a race for everybody and extended congratulations to all the Section Winners on what was a difficult day, with many lofts experiencing some empty perches and a lesser feeding bill and not excluding the 8th NIPA Section Winner Alan Hall of Omagh who wins yet again well done.

To the task in hand and the hard working Ricky McCullough who I must add has recorded his 7th win in the Derriaghy HPS this year with more weeks than not dominating the result. A true gentleman who I have known now for some time being a Club mate to Ian & Peter Gibb at Derriaghy and more recently a ardent worker for the Gibb partnership at there lofts, only living a few minutes away in the Milltown estate area of Lisburn his help has been greatly appreciated by Ian and Peter. You can not take anything away from Ricky always a very astute fancier in every way, bought the best feeds the best, hence Ian Gibb seeking his services to assist Peter and himself with the Daily duties at the racing lofts and indeed the ever increasing and popular Gibb & Byrne Stud Operation.

I arranged to meet Ricky on Sunday morning on the calculated pretence that he was the NIPA Open winner based on the info and results coming through our websitewww.pigeonnetwork.com, and on that note I see the number of clubs posting there results this week has increased and from Homer and myself many thanks. Ricky laid homage fair and squarely at the door of Ian Gibb for assisting him in achieving where he is this week, which was a very true testament of the man himself.

As covered already this was Ricky’s 7th 1stClub this year flying with Derriaghy, but to go on and win 1st, 2nd and 4th Section D plus 1st, 2nd and 4th Open NIPA is simply dreams coming true and hard to sink in was the words from Ricky this morning. The McCullough loft timed at 1.02pm, 1.03pm and1.05pm flying 196 miles, recording velocities of 1265, 1264 and 1254 ypm. Best NIPA Open performance previously by the loft was 1st Section D and 7th Open NIPA Fermoy in 2008. First pigeon home from Talbenny was a Blue Yearling Roundabout Cock a progressive racer but this the first time he has headed the ever consistent team of performers for Ricky. Now named “Gibb’s Choice” the name says it all, this one a gift from Ian Gibb @ The Gibb & Byrne Stud and a Soontjen at that, boy what success they have had with this family of pigeons since they where first brought back to Ireland in 2000. They simply have topped all organisations in Ireland and won for a number of major fliers on the UK mainland. I also just heard this week that the McCartan & Woodside Team topped the EDC last week from Skibbereen there respective Derby event with a pigeon sourced from Ian Gibb and have duly named it ‘Mr Gibb’. The Open winner for Ricky is a G/Son of the famous ‘Levi’ . The Sire the 2004 bred ‘Levi 41’ Sire and G/Sire to countless winners was paired to a daughter of the legendary ’Scholar’ and what this pigeon is responsible for is immense but one that comes to mind is “Miss Atom” 1st Midlands National. Second pigeon for Ricky finishing 2nd Section and 2nd Open is yet again the best of the Soontjens from Ian Gibb & Sons. Timed at 1.03pm this again a Yearling Blue Roundabout Cock had scored previously for the loft in recent weeks. Completing the rout and 4th Section and 4thOpen NIPA was one sourced from good friend Mickey McConville. This one topped the Club last week for Ricky. Many congratulations Ricky on your success and he extends his thanks once again to Ian & Peter Gibb and Mickey McConville.

Splitting the pigeons this week for Ricky McCullough was the loft of Martin & Fred Russell in the Dromore West End, Martin can race a pigeon without very much work, an exceptional fancier with immense quality. The Russell loft finishes first Dromore West End, 3rd Section D and 3rd Open NIPA must mention that 93 competing lofts in Section D sent 1,759 pigeons and over-all in the NIPA Open some 918 lofts sent 13,771 hopefuls to Talbenny. M & F also finished 6th Section D and 26th Open NIPA, this falling on top of a very strong performance last week for the loft.

Fifth Section D and topping the mighty Lisburn & District HPS with 29 members sending 482 pigeons was the loft of Brian Spence and son Roy who made it a double also topping the Ulster Federation affiliated Lagan Valley RPC. With a velocity of 1238ypm in the NIPA the Knockmore Park loft finishes 13th Open.
Looking around the rest of the Clubs within my designated area I see the Black loft coming to the fore in the Dromara HPS with 12 members sending 322 pigeons, one to watch in the cross channel events and without any doubt one to be feared each and every year in the major French races especially the much sought after Kings Cup. The Kingswood Club in East Belfast part of Section D had yet again another leading performance by the Burton & Glover team who finish 1st Club against 121 hopefuls and record an impressive 8th Section D and 40thOpen NIPA, this one was followed home in the Club by the R & J Conlane team and the Kemp and McBride partnership completed the top three. Dunedin was the next port of call and a super result for the Brown team topping the Club with a commanding lead on 1216ypm ahead of the Cowan & McCartney partnership who had two in the clock in 2ndand 3rd with the hard working Colin Coates completing the top four. In Glenavy we had a new winner to the fore this season just pipping the inform Gibb Loft, that being Cecil Harbinson on a velocity of 1212ypm ahead of the Gibb loft who finished 2nd Club with John Withers completing the top three with some 211 pigeons competing. Mr Gibb wont mind sacrificing the Red Card as the winning pigeon yet again another Soontjen from his stock (what a race for the Gibb Loft). Sidney Grainger & Son where yet again to top the Hills & Maze HPS and yet again another top season for the loft finishing 13th Section D on a velocity of 1209ypm and will command a finish of 66th Open in the over-all result. Owen Monaghan is equally having a best season flying with the Colin HPS and very much a ding dong each week between his loft and that of the ever consistent John Gregory & Sons, must at this point give my regards to John who I understand is making great progress following his hospitalisation during the early part of the year, and still competing impeccably week in week out with his hard working and committed sons. Owen Monaghan again assisted by his hard working son has had a season to remember scoring a number of top Section and Open positions, this week the loft finishes 14thSection D and 81st Open NIPA, the father and son team timed a good performer who previously finished 2nd club and 9th Section D and proved his status over the Irish Sea with a 5th Club from Bude. In South Belfast the R Kenna Loft was yet again to the top of the pile ahead of the R & H Fear Team with the M Lavery loft completing the top three. Well done to all concerned.

Completing my round up this week we finish with the Dromore Club itself and 1st and 2nd goes to the brothers namely the partnership of Philip and Joe Boal who loft where some 188 miles in measurement from Talbenny timing at 1.08 and 1.09 respectively. Once again the hens are proving there worth, first one timed pure Willy Van Herck and 2nd one into the Clock that being a Leo Hermans this one a G/daughter of ’Safier’ and ’Di Caprio’ the loft finishes 1st, 2nd Club, 22nd and 25th Section D and 151st and 162nd Open NIPA. Must congratulate the brothers on Finishing 1stNorth Section Skibbereen INFC O/B National during the week finishing 7th Open Over-all. A Fantastic achievement following a magnificent Rosscarbery O/Bird National with the NIPA the week previous between both races the loft lifts over £3,000. Will be catching up with the Boal loft over the coming days.

Until Next week good luck

Adie McCormick
email celestiallofts@aol.com
www.pigeonnetwork.com
tel 07921883997

Ricky McCullough 1st, 2nd and 4th Open NIPA at the weekend from Talbenny pictured with good friend Ian Gibb breeder of the 1st Open and supplied pigeons to produce 2nd Open.
Irelands Own Pigeon Auctions

Return to “Around Ireland - with Adie”