The Racing Galabanks & Huyskin Van Riels

A look back at the 1970's through the Archives
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

L Johnston & Son of Larne

L Johnston & Son, internationally known fanciers whose performances with the above families, coupled with those of Tom and David Mills, racing the Huyskin Van Reil, have taken them to the top in this strong hold of pigeons in Northern Ireland. In 1970, for business and health reasons, L Johnston & Son had to curtail their racing programme so T & D Mills took over the H-Van Reil birds and have certainly kept this great family in the premier positions in Open, Derby and INFC races winning approx £2,000 in 2 years. Jim Johnston the sole proprietor of this family since 1964 is full of praise for the brothers and they way they handle the birds and feels that their best performance is yet to come.

The “Racing Galabanks” and H-Van Reils of L Johnston & Son have always been known for their great productive qualities and such is the breeding programme in the Johnston lofts that it is a cycle of winners breeding every year. Apart from their own wins they take great pride in the fact that they produce many winners for others which gives them more satisfaction than winning themselves. Birds from this loft are producing birds to win in Scottish, English and Irish Derby and National races.

To enable you the fancy to get a better enlightenment of this family and fancier the following is a few questions posed to them and their respective answers.

Q1. How long have your family, the Johnston’s, been with pigeons?

A1. Since 1870, My Father, Uncle Robert then my uncle Tommy first Secretary of the first Pigeon Club in Larne. My uncle William Mundell is the oldest competing fancier in Larne and has never missed a season in 60 years. I had my first from him in 1930.

Q2. In those days what would your most pleasant experience have been?

A2. My father purchased some show birds from Barr Bros of Ballymena and we sent four of these to the Dublin Society Show and one, a Dark Cheq W/F Cock NURP – 31- 10500, won 1st and Best In Show against 300 pigeons. This same family for years timed well from Redon for Lynch Bros of Dublin. Again, knowing and meeting such old timers as R St George Carroll, Late J Flanagan, Chris Dalys father, The Ingle Family, Paddy Fogerty, Lynch Bros, E O’Reilly – All Happy Days.

Q3. Why did you choose the Kilpatrick Family to race?

A3. Well, Annan and Larne have much in environment and position and he was successful at the time. However, our purchase in January 1962 of ‘443’ and ‘219’ was a factor, ‘219’ was the best bird we ever owned – ‘443’ was a good bird but 300 miles was the best distance for him.

Q4. When you’re “Galabank Family”, I believe you gave them that prefix, were so successful from 1962 why at their peak did you bring in another family?

A4. Pigeon racing in Northern Ireland was really stepping up and competition was very keen so as prizes grew every season in the NIPA and INFC we were looking for really fast birds at 250 to 300 miles. While it was not un-common for us to win every season in the Opens with 4 or 5 birds in the money we felt we could do better so I went to an auction in London and on arrival met the late Jack Haylock who told me that the last 21 birds of Jeff Van Reil were to be sold so I went with him to view them at a Mr Hunter of Hounslow. On seeing them I purchased the lot and never was to regret it. This family have been the best money spinners and racers in Ireland that one could wish for, winning from 100 miles to France.

Q5. Do you consider the Van Reils to be better than the “Galabanks”?

A5. For years we never pushed them, some were disposed of some were gave to S McCrum who had immediate success. One hen loaned to Downey & Dowds to mate to “The Champ” bred their famous “Golden Queen”, twice Dinard 460 miles winning 1st and 12th Open and £1,600. Now the Galabank line of “1377” x “219”, “18039 x “219”, “18042” x “219”, were equally as good and every bit as successful however for an inland performance on the day a Huyskin Van Reil in form will get the big prizes as has been proved by Tom & David Mills, top winners with them. Prizes from 100 miles to France. They are two different families and have to be handled and raced as such. No Van Reil should ever be sent to a race for the sake of sending it; they are of a different temperament to the “Galabanks”, sent in form they win.

Q6. Do you believe in Cross Breeding your families?

A6. Definitely not. From a racing point of view it would be alright but for reproduction of future winners I have found this practice useless. This is one reason why I like to sell in 2 pairs and guarantee satisfaction. Crosses for breeding can only cause trouble or have done in our case.

Q7. What are your feelings about Eye-Sign?

A7. Yes this is where crossing can lead you up the “Garden”. We have found that our “Galabanks” of at least 5 years of our breeding and our Van Reils like-wise both have different Eye Structure and Sign in regard to breeders. The “Galabanks” will carry the heavy broken Iris, seldom with the full circle, but heavy in the lying position these can be the best breeders in our family. In our Van Reils the Deep Orange/Brown with the Full Green and Black circles would be our best. With regard to racers the common denominator is surely schooling – Training and Management plus the physical ability of the bird. Each Club seems to have an Eye Expert but when racing season comes along he is usually in the back ground.

Q8. What do you consider the most important time in the season?

A8. Schooling of youngsters, this period has to stand them to compete to 269 and 327 miles at an early age so too much or too little can ruin them for all time. There are many ways to school them but only one to win. This we prefer to keep to ourselves at the moment.

Q9. What advice to novices?

A9. This is a tough game once the season begins it is every man for himself. Hard work and good birds can only take you to the top but once there your troubles begin, you can only remain their by your efforts. Like all games you have to be able to take as well as give, you fanciers today have the advantage of more money and better class birds to begin with, yes, but work is required at all times. There are no easy ways to win. So there concludes this interview with Jim Johnston of the L Johnston & Son partnership, a man whose articles grace many publications. A man who is used to giving someone a write up but on this occasion he is on the receiving end.

One will travel a long way before you come across such a class family of pigeons in the Van Reils for feather and Eye-Sign you will struggle to find as good anywhere and if I say the Van Reils have won £10,000 in the last 8 years I wouldn’t be far wrong.

Tom & David Mills won in the Larne & District and Larne Social Club in 1972 – 12 x 1st’s, 3 x 2nd’s, 4 x 3rd’s and 2 x 4th’s plus numerous other positions and averages. In open races with the NIPA and INFC they won the fantastic sum of £1,065.

“National 3” winner of 31st Section and 32nd Open INFC Skibbereen. Raced by T & D Mills and bred by L Johnston & Son of Larne.

“Sure Return” winner of 3rd Section and 26th Open NIPA Haverford West 5,722 birds. Raced by T & D Mills and Bred by L Johnston & Son.

“The Fast One” winner of 1st Larne & District, 1st Larne Social and 5th Section NIPA 4,000 Birds. Sire of the £600 Cock. Bred by L Johnston & Son and raced by T & D Mills.

“The Swansea Hen” nest mate of “The Fast One” and winner of 1st Larne & District Swansea, 1st Larne Social, 1st Larne Social Dinard 406 miles. Bred by L Johnston & Son and raced by T & D Mills.

“The £600 Cock” winner of 2nd Section and 4th Open NIPA Skibbereen Y/Bird Derby, 3,552 birds. Raced by T & D Mills and bred by L Johnston & Son.
Irelands Own Pigeon Auctions

Return to “A look back at the 1970's”