News Update - April 2014

Updates on all the local North Road news and events by Punch. E-mail: franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net Tel: 00353 599145419
Francis Corcoran, Alpine Lofts/Aviaries, 568 Shed Road, Levitstown,Maganey, Co. Kildare, http://www.alpinelofts.net
willie reynolds

News Update - April 2014

Post by willie reynolds »

Leinster North Road Federation 7

By the time this article appears in print we should know the winners of the first races of 2014, but for now we will have to content ourselves with the training of our birds. The weather is fine at the moment April 13th , but still quite cold at times, I feel quite lucky, in that I am working from home so I can pick the times that I want to go training, most days there is at least an hour or maybe two that the weather seems to warm up a bit, its mostly at that time I head off for a short spin with the birds, I am also lucky in that John Hammond, a friend and fellow club member, will bring my birds home with him to Dunlavin and give them an 18 mile chuck, that also leaves me with a bit of time to get the place tidied up a bit and ready for their return, there have been losses already encountered among local fanciers, but these are mostly birds that are being turned round from north road to south or visa versa, along with the usual late breds that are tried out at this time of year, personally I don’t see any or very little purpose in keeping late bred young birds over year for racing, as very few if any ever make it through, certainly not in this country anyway, I may be wrong, but the numbers lost in the early stages of training can seldom justify the effort of rearing and keeping them for so long and for so little return, it is also disheartening for new starters who put any faith in these, because they will surely be disappointed at the level of losses, even before the racing gets started, better new starters be encouraged to race their young birds on a regular basis, maybe not to the bitter end, as that can also cause disappointment but raced enough times to have young birds with a bit of experience that can be stopped for the following year, that is probably the best way to build up a team capable of competing in the future, as old birds.

Just coming up to Easter weekend now, and the weather has improved immensely, most people have started to train by now, however it still looks as if a lot of members wont be ready for the first race of the season, considering that our racing has been scheduled to start a fortnight later than usual, I’m wondering when some might like us to start, as those that are ready now were probably ready to start two weeks ago, they in turn have often been accused of not playing the game, wanting to start too early, however, when they do compromise for those that want to start later, they still end up racing on their own in the first races anyway, well I suppose that‘s pigeon people for you and it takes all sorts to make the world go round.
With the good weather, we have been doing some improvements to the bird rooms & aviaries. Light is very important for the canaries and finches, and with that in mind we have decided to put in several sheets of Perspex in the roof to allow the light and some sunshine in there, this will have a knock on effect, as with having to have artificial lighting on for several hours during the day, our energy bills should be reduced significantly from now on, thankfully there is still a demand for small birds such as Canaries, Budgies & Finches, ect, it is always an advantage to have them in the best possible condition when they are for sale, competition in this market is fierce, so it pays to have them presented in ideal conditions.
Barrow Valley RPC.

The club held it’s first race of the season from Navan on Sunday, April 20th a distance of around sixty miles to most fanciers in the Carlow area. Marking took place on the Sunday morning from eight thirty around 200 birds from eight members were soon marked for the race, and away to the race point by nine forty five, at this point the club would like to thank Derek o Shea for doing the transport and the liberation was at five past twelve into an east north east wind that was quite strong at the race point.

The dynamic duo of Rocca & Roly had a fantastic race, clocking their first three after just fifty seven minutes to record velocities of 1826, 1825, and 1824ypm. The first bird, a Staf van Reet blue hen has been a prolific winner in the early races for the duo, in the last three seasons. She has also recorded two first federations last year as a yearling. Second bird clocked just two seconds behind the winner was a yearling cheq cock, breeding was one off their Gerry o Mara bloodlines crossed with their old Buscheart family, this young cock has already won prizes as a young bird last year including a fourth fed position. Third bird on the clock was another of their staf van Reet birds, a 2011 blue hen that has always been a consistant racer but never setting the world alight, this one, I assume with her age, will be destined for the National from Frazerburgh, not many birds over three years of age reside in this team as the boy’s believe in youth and speed for their race team, and why not, as it has been working for them for the last few years. Nearly all our club members use the ETS system as can be seen from the timings and velocities, meaning very little seperates the top few in terms of time. Damien Maher had one clocked within a minute of Roly and Rocca, however by that time the boy’s had twenty one birds on the clock. A devastating performance and a sign of things to come, I’d imagine.
Next week, it’s back to Navan , this time with the Federation.

News on one of the few Lady fanciers in the south of Ireland, Louise Whiteford from Borris-in-Ossory, racing with the Roscrea club has started the season in great style winning her club from Adair, Co Limrick, on Saturday April 19th with one of her favourite birds, a red cheq cock, which was self bred. Louise is literally out on her own when it come’s to racing pigeons as there is no backround of pigeon racing in her family, not only that but there is very little, if any, racing or pigeon fanciers in her area, the lad’s in the Roscrea club have welcomed her in, and she is delighted to be a part of their club, it cant be easy on Louise as she has to travel, sometimes quite long distances, for anything she needs for her birds, and I am delighted that she is reaping the rewards of her efforts, look after her lads, as she is a very dedicated young pigeon fancier and will surely be a great asset to the club as her confidence grows.

Well that’s it for this week, all is left is to remind the members of the different clubs in the federation to get in touch with news of their winners as soon as possible after each race. There’s one club whose results will be in the book each week, make sure that your club is represented as well.

I can be contacted on, Franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353599145419.
Punch.

Roly & Rocca winners from Navan.

New Bird Room at Alpine Aviaries.

New display pens for canaries.
willie reynolds

Re: News Update - April 2014

Post by willie reynolds »

Leinster North Road Federation 8

After such a grand week of weather, whereby, we were able to get in a nice bit of training with the birds, it was disappointing to find out nearer the end of the week that the forecast for the weekend was not as good as we had hoped for, on Thursday night it emerged that the NIPA, the EDC and the ECF had all decided to change their arrangements for racing this weekend, with that in mind, and with not such a great forecast for an early lib on Sunday, we decided to change our race to Monday, the forecast appeared to be much better for the Monday, and with a bit of luck we would have the skies to ourselves, not that there is ever any guarantee of that.

As forecast, the weather was terrible on Saturday, the only group that travelled on the Friday evening was the ISRF, hoping to get a break sometime on Saturday, however the break did not materialise and they had to hold over, some people think that all these decisions are made lightly and for some alternative motive, let me tell you that all decisions regarding the welfare of our pigeons are made after due consideration of all the facts and weather forecasts that are available at the time, with so many organisations racing in all directions, any changes, especially by some of the major players, certainly need to be taken into account, when making your final decision as regards when to race. That done, the officials that make these decisions need a bit of support for what they have done, rather than the usual whinging and whining by some, that follows any slight changes made, thankfully, in our own club, members normally take what comes along, “on the chin“, and just get on with their racing whenever it takes place.

Marking for our Navan race took place on the Sunday evening for a Monday race, but before that, we had our annual old bird Breed/Buyer auction, this is just a bit of craic and a way of raising a few quid for us to race for from the Larne race in a few weeks time, not a difficult event and not too far away, so most that enter should have their birds for the race, in the end we raised just over €650 for the 15 birds on offer, so, divided into three prizes, it will make a nice little earner for those involved in the finish. Not everybody’s cup of tea, but that’s what’s on offer, we can only do our best. Next week we will have our young bird Breeder/Buyer on the Sunday evening before our results are done , that might be more suitable for those that were afraid to enter the big boy’s race. In either event, there is nothing to loose, the birds are entered and can be purchased by anyone present, the birds are then retuned to the original owner to be raced by them on behalf of the purchaser, as I said, it’s just a bit of craic.

The race from Navan got under way at 9:30 am after race controller Edward Holden had waited a white for the skies to brighten somewhat.

Results from around show a funny type of race, with the winners doing good times and in each club, being well out in front of the pack, the rest struggling in during the course of the day, with not too many missing at clock check.
Newross Club had John Purcell well out in front with three together all timed at eleven twenty three [time] to take the first three in that club, unfortunately the results had not been done, at time of going to press, so apologies for no info.
In the Cill Chainnaigh club, it was Edward Holden, in the beautiful village of Graiugenamannagh, that took the first three places on vels of 1389,1222, &1208 so again one well out in front. His first bird was a yearling Busscheart cross that was his first timer from Mauchline last year, and is the same way bred as his 2009 National winner. Second on the clock was a SVR 09 Blue pied hen with plenty of previous having won several races in the past. Third bird , a yearling had already won last year as a young bird.

Barrow Valley RPC.

The clear winner in our own club was JJ Hurley & Son with a yearling Blue pied cock on 1360ypm. Davy Hurley had two Blue cocks, a yearling and a two year old, drop together for second and third club on Vels of 1160, 1158ypm. Fourth club went to Dwyane Brennan, with a Cheq pied cock, bred in 2010, this cock has plenty of form, having already won twice in the club breeder buyer, he was actually in the pen on Sunday evening and was purchased by Frank Archbold, so a real live prospect for Archie this year, best of luck with that one lads.

Enniscorty RPC.

Again, it was a close run affair in Enniscorty, with Paddy Collins getting two together on Vels of 1206,1206 ypm. Just edging Crosbie Bros into third position on 1204ypm.

Wexford RPC.

Lyn Griffith had a right race, clocking the first five in the club, a two year blue hen taking the spoils on 1252.
Returns overall were pretty good, if not at first, most did eventually make it home and live to fight another day.

Details on the winners are quite sketchy for this first race, probably on account of the race taking place on a Monday, hopefully, with the help of those involved and the winners themselves we can get a bit more info on the winning birds, I do understand how difficult it is to get information, as even in our own club, the winning fanciers just seem to run out the door as soon as the results are announced, so once again I would appeal to those involved to give a little time and information on your winners to the local PRO, you may not think it but people really are interested in who’s winning what and what birds they are winning with, if it’s a secret well that’s fine too, keep it to yourself, but don’t blame the Pro for not giving you a mention.

With that I will wrap it up for this week and hope for better things from my own lot next week.

Francis Corcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353 5991 45419

JJ Hurley, Barrow Valley.

Paddy Collins, Enniscorthy.

Edward Holden Cill Chainnigh.

Return to “Leinster NR Federation”