News Update - May 2014

Updates on all the local North Road news and events by Punch. E-mail: franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net Tel: 00353 599145419
Francis Corcoran, Alpine Lofts/Aviaries, 568 Shed Road, Levitstown,Maganey, Co. Kildare, http://www.alpinelofts.net
willie reynolds

News Update - May 2014

Post by willie reynolds »

Leinster North Road Federation

To start with, I will give you the results of last weeks Leinster North Road Federation race from Navan 1. Taking the first three places was John Purcell from Newross with three yearling cocks on 1396, 1395,1394 ypm, next was our race controller Edward Holden, Cill Cheannaigh on 1389, 5th to JJ Hurley, Barrow Valley on 1360 then Lyn Griffiths, Wexford taking the next three on 1252, 1248, 1248 and another on 1227 for tenth position, in between, was Keith Gardiner Newross for ninth on 1239. Although it was a peculiar race, it was great to see the five clubs represented in the top ten positions, it doesn’t always happen like that, but it would probably be better for all involved, if it did.

This week we were supposed to be racing from Navan again. The weekend got off to a bad start with very few liberations on the Saturday, unfortunately those that did liberate encountered tough racing. We basketed on the Saturday evening for a Sunday race, which in hindsight was a mistake as the Munster Fed were bringing back their birds from Mullingar, believing there was no hope of a liberation on Sunday, as it happened, they were right, we waited most of the day for news of a liberation, eventually race controller Edward Holden decided to bring our birds home to the clubs, again that was a good call, for Monday turned out terrible as well. The weekend being a complete write off as regards pigeon racing. As I stated last week, these decisions are not easily made and are not done without considerable thought going into it, so, well done Edward. Also a big thank you to the driver and convoyer for returning the birds to each club in super condition. Let’s hope for better luck next week, its surely time that we got some decent weather.

Already, and it’s only Tuesday, we are looking at the weather for this weekend coming, and Friday seems to be the best of the rest, as of now, only time will tell.

A request now for some help , I am looking for a copy of the very last edition of the Gazette that was published, 2005/2006, it featured a loft report on the Gregory Bros of Rathnew in Wicklow, with their Champion Hercules on the front cover, the reason I am looking, is that it was one of the last write ups I did before packing in, also it was the first time ever that a pigeon from the south of Ireland made the front cover of the Gazette, I do understand that it may now be somewhat of a collectors item and am willing to pay a reasonable amount for a copy also the post & Packing will be covered, I really don’t know what happened to the copy I had, most probably it was lent out, never to be seen again, I have tried the BHW for a copy and always look through the back editions on offer at Blackpool, but to date no luck, hopefully someone among you will have a copy that you are willing to part with.

Nice to hear from Mike Hannaford of Plymouth recently, Mike and all the boy’s were regular visitors to our place over the years and we had some mighty times, each time that they came they would bring some character with them who had nowt to do with pigeons and we would have a right old time, like the night we had in the Boat club in Carlow, middle of August it was and the weather should have fine however when we had finished the night, which was quite late, we realised that the flood water about four to five feet in dept had come up to the door of the club and we all had to be evacuated in the bucket of a JCB, Robbie Prettyjohn, Andy Nolan, Mike Underhill Mike Hannaford, the lot of them, we had some laugh with that, well Mike, as I said the invite is always open and we look forward to having ye over again for a few days. And can I just ask, was he a Curler from Harlow or was he a Hurler from Carlow? I’m not really sure. Also see if you can get that Bobby Brown to come along or is still afraid of flying.

Well that’s it for this week, not a lot to report on account of the races being cancelled, maybe next week.

Contact. Francis Corcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353599145419.

Tommy & Rodger Gregory.

John Purcell New Ross holding the Fed winner from Navan.

New Ross club members - Keith Gardiner, Billy Sinnott, Stephen Butler, John Purcell, Kathleen Delaney, John Kelly, John O'Neill, Pat.
willie reynolds

Re: News Update - May 2014

Leinster North Road Federation 10.

I’m sitting hear now at the computer, with the sound of rally cars in the background. The Carlow rally Stages have just started across the river, I know most of the roads in that area and with the grass growing up the middle of them, designed as they were more for the Ass and Cart rather than these high powered Rally cars, it must take some nerve to drive at the speeds they get up to, Joe will have a grandstand view of proceedings as the first stage was starting right outside his front door at nine o clock this morning.

I had intended to get up and go over to watch the start, but that idea was in my head last night when I had a few pints in. Well, you know what they say, the best laid plans of mice and men ect.
This weeks race was scheduled for Sunday, however, from early in the week it was apparent that the weather forecast for the weekend and even the start of next week was anything but good. With that in mind the race controller Edward Holden decided that the best option was a Friday race and what a good decision that turned out to be, with the weather getting even worse than expected on the Saturday and Sunday, with high blustery winds and lots of heavy showers.
Marking took place in our club on the Thursday evening, with very few casualties on account of the race being on a working day, having said that, every member was using an ETS system.
Which highlights the fact that after years of struggle and torment between families over pigeon racing there is no reason now why pigeon racing should interfere with family life, fanciers are now able to send their birds to races, then go about their business as usual, whilst having their birds timed automatically, back to the club the next evening ,result done, where’s the bother?. Although it is nice to watch your birds return, and no doubt most fanciers do manage that somehow, people do have other things to do, and now, they can if the want, do them. In reality the answer is in our own hands.
Friday as predicted dawned fine and sunny, the wind was given as mostly west, but there seemed to be some north in it as the birds made good time, with the winners doing over 1500ypm.

Barrow Valley RPC.
At our club, it was rumoured that the little Italian was burning everybody’s chips, whilst daydreaming about what went wrong last week, Roly was having some kind of counselling therapy, he didn’t say from who, or what kind, but who ever it was, really brought them back to where they like to be, at the top, fanciers far and wide and certainly at our club realise the commitment these guy’s put into their birds and I for one don’t begrudge them one little bit, because they really are a great craic and asset in and around our club, as they say, never a dull moment where these boy’s are.

Taking the first eight positions in our club on Velocities of 1517ypm [3] 1516ypm [3]
and 1510ypm [2] was the partnership of Roly & Rocca. Their first bird was the two year old Terence o Brien Cappa cock, a winner already of first prizes, second bird on the clock, a pure Dean Pallatt Staf van Reet c/wf hen, only a yearling, but proving her worth, next another Dean Pallatt Staf van Reet cock named Roger, big hopes held out for this lad in the future.
Highlighting the competition in our club the next four birds, three to Jimmy Hurly, our three times North Road National winner in 2013 alone, and one to our best novice flyer Damien Maher were all clocked within 10/15 seconds of the winners, on velocities of 1508ypm. Giving that the wind was definitely from a west , north west direction these results are a credit to all those involved in the result, as none of them were in a favourable position on the day.

Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
Again it was race controller Edward Holden who made a clean sweep of the cards taking the first four positions. First bird on a velocity of 1478ypm was a three year old Blue Soontjen hen that has won three races already in her career, next, two together on 1476ypm, a Busscheart chequer hen that won the Fed from Larne last year, then another Busscheart Chequer hen this time a two year old that has been a regular performer in the team, and finally on 1474ypm a two year old Soontjen hen, also a previous winner. Just behind the winner with a couple were the team of Conran & Cullen who are just getting them going now.

Enniscorty RPC.
First three in the Enniscorty club went to the evergreen Crosbie Bros, namely Eugene, as he is the only one there now with the pigeons, with his own family of birds bred over the years, the fist a 2 year old Cheq pied hen on 1467ypm, next a three year old cheq w/f cock and another three year old cheq cock. .Taking 4th are the Polish guys from Bunclody, they are trying to make a name for themselves in a pretty harsh environment down there having to travel for every race, fair play to the boys for taking them on and helping them out, I feel that it may be from the emigrant community where our new recruits will be coming from, as there are quite a few of them interested in racing pigeons, its up to each club to encourage them and any other new members they can find.

Wexford RPC.
The winner on a velocity of 1452ypm, from a pretty strong field in the Wexford club was Peter Doyle with a Soontjen from his John Patterson lines, this bird is no stranger to the prize list as she has already scored a 2nd from Larne last year as a young bird. Peter is one of our sports true gentlemen and puts a lot more into the sport than he gets out of it, and has been a life time north road flyer, his dedication to his club and federation is there for all to see. Taking the next two positions was Anthony & Jodie Thomas.

Newross RPC.
Another new face to the fore in the Newross club, this time it was Stephen Butler who took the first two positions, first with a Grizzle hen of Vandenabeele x Staf van Reet bloodlines, next one, a yearling Blue hen. Both these doing 1354 ypm. Third was last weeks winner John Purcell, fourth , fifth & Sixth to veteran north road flyer Pat Ronan.
Next week we are of to Monaghan, here’s hoping that the weather will be a little bit kinder to us, but I wouldn’t hold out too much hope of that. My own little bunch came a bit better this week, with them all locked up about 20 minutes after the first one arrived.
That’s all for this week, any info to.

Francis Corcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353599145419.
Punch.

Edward Holden winner from Carrigmacross in the Cill Cheannaigh Club

Jimmy Hurley 3 times a National winner in 2013.

Roly & Rocca, Barrow Valley.
willie reynolds

Leinster North Road Federation 11

We are always asking ourselves, how we can recruit new members into our sport, yet very few ask why we cannot keep or encourage those that do enter, and prove to be a valuable asset to the club they join, to stay with the sport. What is it that makes these new starters leave a club and sport that they seemingly enjoy, when they are in it. We in the Barrow Valley have had several such cases in recent years. There was a similarity in that most, were all relatively young, and had young families , and had a busy life style. Most however, were working and had a reasonable income, were quite successful, in relative terms to their time in the sport and were very popular with the rest of the membership, they were willing workers, that done what they were asked to do and were not exploited, yet when they achieved a certain level of success, they left. Was it a case of been there , done that, I don’t know, but they are still on the fringes, but don’t have any birds about them, and they all keep up to date with what’s happening at club level, but as yet, no return.

I will start this week with a quick run down on the results of last weeks Leinster North Road Federation race from Carrigmacross.
In the open result and section 1, the first eight positions went to the Barrow valley partnership of Roly & Rocca, next two positions went to Jimmy Hurley, also from the Barrow Valley.
Section 2 was won by Crosbie Bros from the Enniscorty club also taking the next two positions for good measure.
Anthony & Jodie Thomas of the Wexford club won the section 2 Nom.

The way the Federation is structured, it works out that the section prizes work out quite similar and each section is rewarded to the same extent, its just the Open prizes that can sometimes be dominated by one section or the other.
On to this weeks race which was due to take place from Monaghan on Sunday but due to an inclement weather forecast, our race controller Edward Holden decided it would be better to go a couple of day’s earlier, and so it was, that the Monaghan race took place on Friday 16th, liberated at nine fifteen into good racing conditions by stand in convoyer for this race Damien Maher.

Barrow Valley RPC.
In the Barrow Valley, it was the dynamic duo, Roly & Rocca again with another blistering performance by their whole team of pigeons, as the lads race both cocks and hens each week. Taking the First eight positions again this week,1327ypm, 1326ypm [2] 1325ypm [5] and that, on top of winning the first eight in the Club & Federation last week. First bird on the clock this time was their beautiful yearling Smokey Blue cock, breeding is Gerry o Mara on one side crossed with their ever present Dean Pallet Van Reet lines on the other. This cock has already been in the hunt this year, arriving with the winners each race. Second bird clocked was their “Toey” Blue cock, this fella is a full brother to three Federation B oY over the last few seasons and is bred from their Dean Pallet, No 1 stock pair. Third bird on the clock is a smashing Mealy black splashed cock, a previous Fed winner as a young bird, this one, also a Staf van Reet from their Dean Pallet Principle lines. As I said, the boy’s race both sexes, but this week, the cocks seem to have got the upper hand. The next two positions were taken by Jimmy Hurley and again Damien Maher was our best novice this week, all clocked in close proximity to the winners.

Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
Taking the first two positions in the Cill Cheannaigh club and scoring three club wins in a row is our dedicated race controller Edward Holden, his first bird, a 2 year old Cheq w/f cock, a previous winner of 5th Open in the young bird National from Mauchline in 2012, also this cock is a full brother to his winner of the Navan race earlier in the season, Edward still has the parents of these two at stock and no wonder, if they can keep churning out winners like that. His second arrival, a blue Cheq hen, also a 2 y/o was 3rd club last week from Carrigmacross, so two good cards, from her first two races of the year. Both birds were Busschearts and were doing 1282 & 1269.
3rd and 4th positions go to the ever present Conran & Cullen with a yearling Cheq Pied hen, their first timer from the Mauchline Y/B National in 2103. Their second bird, a two year old red cock, they are both related and come down from the bloodlines of Gerry Marley on the sires side and their Mickey Croskery lines on the dams side.

Enniscorty RPC.
Nice to see John Dobbs winning first and 4th in the Enniscorty club, 1277ypm, both birds being yearling hens bred by JJ Hurley of the Barrow Valley club. John retired as Secretary/ Treasurer of the Federation last year in order to devote more time to his family and his own pigeons, seems as if the break from administration has worked in John’s favour, its amazing how very few people realise how much time and effort goes into looking after either a Club or a Federation and nearly always to the detriment of ones own enjoyment of, or success in, the sport.
In second place, it’s the Polish duo of Kurowski & Kolodziej who take that position with a yearling Blue Bar hen, they have been flying well this year, if not a little short at their lofts in Bunclody, and hopefully it wont be long before they see the inside of the winners enclosure. Third position went to the Crosbie Bros with a yearling Blue Cheq hen, Eugene has them in good form and has figured in most of the races flown so far this year.

NewRoss RPC.
Another week, and another new name at the top of the result in the New Ross club, Keith Gardiner takes the first four positions from a strong field in this competitive club. First bird on the clock was a two year old Busschaert cock, closely followed by a yearling Van den Bosch hen, this one bred by close friend Mark Malone, next two were clocked no more that a minute later, a blue cock and a cheq hen, both of Vandenabeele lines. Congratulations Keith, a really good run there.

Wexford RPC.
The result in the Wexford club had Anthony & Jodie Thomas, last weeks runner up, move up a position to take top spot and also 3rd for good measure. First bird was a two year old Van Lint Red pied hen on 1270 ypm, Taking second place was Lyn Griffiths. Not much info on the Wexford birds this week and I do know that Thomas Walsh is trying his best down there to get what info he can, so, come on lads and give Thomas as much detail as you can and the odd photo, while he’s still willing to send it on to me.

Well that’s it for another week, next week we have the club breeder buyer race from Larne, always an exciting bit of craic.

News and Info to, Franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net or Phone, 00353599145419.
Punch.

Edward Holden, winner from Navan.

Roly & Rocca winners from Monaghan.

Robert Lacey best novice Barrow Valley 2012.
willie reynolds

Leinster North Road Federation.

It started with the second race of the season, having to change the race from a Sunday to a Monday , then for the next two weeks we had to change from a Sunday to a Friday, in order to get racing, this weather really is a pain, and very difficult for the race controller to deal with. Knowing however, that the interests of the birds are paramount, all these decisions have been very well made and received by the membership, the reason I mention this is that it is now Friday morning and we still don’t know what will happen this week, although the weather is not too bad, the forecast for the weekend is a little bleak and believe it or not, Monday again looks to be the best day at this point, the race controller will make his final decision at lunchtime tomorrow, after analyses of the mid-day forecast.

Well, Friday came and went along with Saturday, Sunday and Monday and still no sign of a let up in the weather, although most days throw up the odd hour or two of half decent weather, it doesn’t last long and reverts back to thundery torrential downpours in different parts of the country, unfortunately Saturday was the worst day, with a lot of east in the wind, and some Fed’s got caught out, with tough races for all concerned, it was no easy call for those that went up, as the weather was reasonable in patches and quite deceiving.

Its now Monday evening and after heavy rain for the past few hours, it has cleared up nicely again, the plan for our Fed is to race mark on Tuesday evening for a Wednesday race, lets hope it stays fine and that we can get a bit of racing done, actually, again this is published we will be having our first National race which will be held from Mauchline in Scotland.

The National will incorporate two races on the same day, a Yearling race along with an Old Bird event, it surely makes sense to have as many birds as possible on the transporter when crossing the channel and get as much value for money as we can in the one journey.
Over the last few years Mauchline has proved to be quite a good race point, unlike Stranraer & Girvan, the birds get somewhat of a run at the channel when being liberated further up the coast, although I personally liked Girvan as a race point, in latter years we were persecuted with Peregrine strikes from the moment the birds were released, I have witnessed them myself being attacked, and it was very difficult for the convoy to leave that area, being faced by high mountains on the one side, with the only alternative to head out across the sea straight away, which they were very reluctant to do, at the southern end of Girvan going towards Stranraer, there was a gap
Between the hills and the sea, that the birds needed to pass through in order to head for home, it was there that the most damage was done, and until the Peregrines had caught their quota very few birds would pass through, I often wondered at the great ability of those birds that survived those attacks to pick themselves up and make it home on the day.

Speaking of Girvan, it was always a great place to visit with the birds, we made good friends with many of the fanciers in that area, and we were seldom stuck, as they would always come down to the liberation site the night before to see if we needed anything, one such person was Ronnie Davidson [RIP] there was nothing too much trouble for Ronnie, be it telephone calls, something to eat, or if it was a holdover we were brought up to Ronnies house for a Shower and a decent bite to eat, his wife Moira was a lovely woman and a great cook to boot. Ronnie was a great gardener and made a lot of garden furniture. When we would be ready to leave Ronnie would always have a few flowers and vegetables for us to bring home with us, a very generous man indeed. Unfortunately Ronnie passed away early at a young age, I called to see Moira at her shop in the main street a couple of years later and she was still devastated at his loss, rest in peace Ronnie.

Another hugely helpful fancier for many years to the Irish North Road fanciers was Gordon Whiteside, even before our transporters were going to Scotland, Gordon was helping to liberate our birds, he was often our only contact in Scotland, I met him on two occasions and both times he was ever so helpful, again if a holdover was in progress, Gordon would be there to help, also many a purchase that was made by Irish fanciers would end up in Gordons house ready for collection by the conveyers of the day, one must remember that at that time there were no mobile phone for conveyers and most of the conveniences would be locked up from early in the evening, the nearest public telephone could be up to two mile away and once the lorry was levelled and the birds watered and settled it was the conveyer that done all the walking to the nearest phone to make contact with the race controller, and just remember that if the weather was not right one could be walking back wards and forwards for most of the morning until the word was given by the controller to either release or holdover, it was at that point when we were often glad to see one of the afore mentioned appear.

Well that’s all for this week, no results a such but with the log jam that is occurring at the moment, we should have some news on the races for next week.

The usual Contact

Visitors to Alpine Lofts from (l) Paddy Hackman, John Moorehouse, Damo.

Visitors to Alpine Lofts, from (r) Paul O'Connor, Terence McCrudden, Damien Farrell, Dominic Diamond, and Punch.

Return to “Leinster NR Federation”