News Update - June 2014

Updates on all the local North Road news and events by Punch. E-mail: franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net Tel: 00353 599145419
Francis Corcoran, Alpine Lofts/Aviaries, 568 Shed Road, Levitstown,Maganey, Co. Kildare, http://www.alpinelofts.net
willie reynolds

News Update - June 2014

Post by willie reynolds »

Leinster North Road Federation 13.

Thankfully, and finally, we got a race on Wednesday from Larne 1, it had been some weekend of weather and we were beginning to think that we would have to cancel for this week, however, with only four races behind us and having cancelled one already, it was imperative that we should try and get them away to a race, what with the Mauchline National looming in a few days time they would need some flying time put in for preparation. With the forecast giving good weather in the morning time, deteriorating later in the day, and a wise decision by the race controller, the birds were away for an early start at seven thirty, into a north/north east wind and a good race was on the cards for this 140/180 mile journey.
And so it proved to be, with all clubs clocking in good time and more important, with good returns, it looks as if most club winners will be represented in the Federation result, always a welcome sight, given the width and depth of our Fed.
Now on to the results for this week.

Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
As predicted, a change at the top this week in this competitive club with the Conran & Cullen partnership putting a stop to the winning run of race controller Edward Holden.
First & Second club on velocities of 1811ypm and 1808ypm was the ever present Conran & Cullen, their first bird was the 2y/o Red cock that had taken 4th from Momaghan a couple of weeks ago, this one bred through their SVR and De Ric bloodlines from Gerry Marly. and Mickey Croskery. Second bird on the clock was a yearling Dark Cheq cock of Busschaert x Jan Aarden bloodlines that are also flying well for the boy’s. Third position went to Edward Holden on 1807 with a 3y/o Cheq cock of Busschaert breeding, this cock is more suited to channel racing, having already been across to Scotland on several occasions, and is destined for those particular race points again this year.

New Ross RPC.
What another good race for Keith Gardiner in the NewRoss Club, taking the first four positions with his first drop. Winning its second race in a row is the Dark Cheq cock that also took first from Monaghan last week, a Busschaert, doing 1789ypm, next bird clocked was a yearling Gaby Vandenabeele Cheq hen, then Third on the clock, a cheq cock of Janssen x Jan Aarden breeding, followed closely by a yearling Busschaert Cheq Hen. At least three of these should make the Fed result.

Barrow Valley RPC.
First JJ Hurley velocity 1788ypm. Second position by a decimal was Benny Nolan also on 1788ypm, Benny’s bird, a 2y/o Blue cock raced on widowhood, is of his own family of birds cultivated over the years. Third position this week went to my old buddy, “No darkness Joe” with a classy little Blue pied yearling hen, this one is home bred, and also won last year as a young bird. Fourth and climbing the ladder each week is our best novice Damien Maher with a Black Pied widowhood cock of
Jan Aarden/KoNipius breeding, his birds are handling exceptionally well this year, and surely, it wont be long before he makes it to the top. This was a really competitive race in our club with six different fanciers being placed in the first six positions and all that with only 14ypm separating all six, so, not much room for error there.
Also included this week, was our clubs old bird breeder buyer race and in that the winner was Roly & Rocca winning €140 as the breeder sharing the prize and also winning €140 was Pat Farrell as the buyer. In Second place taking both shares as breeder & buyer winning €200 was Benny Nolan with a nice yearling Blue cock, a broken pigeon that was gifted to Benny last year as a young bird by fellow club mate Tom McNally.
Not to be out done the old dog for the hard road “No darkness Joe” was in again to keep up his record as a perennial winner in this event taking the final prize as breeder and Buyer to the tune of € 140. Not a bad pay day for them all.
The committee of the club would like to thank all those that took part and supported this annual event, there is certainly more craic to be had in a club, other than just winning races and these events certainly add to the enjoyment of the sport, in that it provides a more level playing field, with each member restricted to a maximum two bird entry, picked at the beginning of the season.

Enniscorty RPC.
Again it was John Dobbs with the winner of the Enniscorty club with the same bird that won for him last week, a Blue pied hen doing a velocity of 1783ypm. Retirement from administrate work obviously paying off for John, as predicted in my earlier notes. I will say this once again, for those in a more privileged position, workers in this sport are hard to come by, as it is a well known fact that those that do the most for their club are less likely to receive little, if any benefits from racing their birds, as all their attention goes on other members enjoyment of the sport.
Second place goes to the consistent Crosbie Bros with a three year old Cheq w/f cock, this one has also scored before. 3rd & 4th goes to Jarek Szczygiel & partner, their first bird, also a 3y/o Blue w/f cock.

Wexford RPC.
Thomas Walsh P.R.O writes,
1st 2nd and 3rd was won by Lyn Griffiths and sons blue cock, Velocity 1748 y.p.m.
Lyns bird was bred from Kieth Couzans of Fishguard stock crossed with his own Campius stock, this family of birds have won well for Lyn down the years.
As usual Lyn will be the man to beat this year.

Leinster North Road Fed, Sect & Open result for Larne 1
The fed Open result for Larne 1 shows the Conran & Cullen partnership take 1st & 2nd Section B and Open with their first two birds, followed by Edward Holden 3rd & 4th Sect & Open, with the next two. Then Keith Gardiner winning 1st & 2nd Section A. also 5th & 6th. Open.
Section A Nom winner was, Keith Gardiner, Section B Nom winner was Benny Nolan. Open Nom winner was Keith Gardiner.
The Fed committee would just like to thank our very efficient Secretary Kathleen for the quick turn out of the Fed result in the short time between races, each result sheet is prepared to a very high standard with all the information including pools well displayed.
Well, that’s the first Larne race sorted, now its fingers crossed for another good race this weekend, again from Larne, but with the weather so unsettled its in the lap of the God’s as to whether or not we’ll get away.

As luck would have it, the weather settled somewhat for the weekend and we had a Sunday race for Larne 2 as scheduled.
It was a pity that the race was so soon after the the first Larne race, what with marking for Mauchline this Thursday, a lot of fanciers decided that they would hold off until then for their next race. However, we did have a race and those that participated got a good fly into their birds in preparation for next week, with the velocities in the 1200s.
Barrow Valley RPC.
Another very close finish in our own club with only a few seconds separating the first birds. Taking pole position also second was Jimmy Hurley. In 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 6th was the formidable partnership of Roly & Rocca hanging on to the leading positions. And again it was Damien Maher holding his own in 7th place, in a very tight finish.
7ypm covered the first seven places starting at 1224ypm, hopefully most of these will make the Fed result.

Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
Back in the top spot again this week is our intrepid race controller Edward Holden, not only that, but he takes the 2nd and 3rd places for good measure. Winning the race on a Velocity of 1180 ypm for the first two birds. The winner, a Bucharest x Soontjen yearling blue pied hen that Edward was quite surprised to see arrive first, as she has not scored before, ditto also, for his second bird, another yearling, this time, a Red cock of Busschaert breeding. Third bird on the clock, a 2yo Blue Soontjen cock that has plenty of form, having many positions to his credit including first prizes.
Next to clock was our North road National Secretary, Harry Beale, clocking a gift bird that was bred by Edward Holden, a Busschaert, G.son of Edwards National winner. Harry will be flat out next week organising and getting out results for our first National race of the year, which is due to take place on Saturday June 7th from Mauchline in Scotland.

NewRoss RPC.
Taking first position on a velocity of 1154ypm was Terry Sinnott with a yearling cheq hen, just behind and taking the next two positions was Pat Ronan, with a Yearling Blue hen and two year old Blue pied hen. These two guy’s are veteran North road flyers and are only coming into their own, now that the season is moving on and we are getting a little closer to the North Road National races.

Enniscorty RPC.
At last, a breakthrough for the Polish guy’s, Kurowski & Kolodziej in Bunclody, racing with the Enniscorty club, they annexed 1st, 2nd & 3rd positions, their first, a four year old Blue cock,on 1079ypm. followed by another Blue cock, this time, a yearling and finally a three year old cheq hen completed the route for them. In 4th, last weeks winner John Dobbs.
This was a working day for the pigeons, with velocities to match, however, returns were very good, and it was a good work out for the birds, especially those destined for the channel races ahead.

Before I finish, I would like to wish Carl Bowe of Watarford all the best, as I understand that he has been suffering ill health of late. I was out last week when he rang to tell me that his son had taken the photo of Champion Dick that I featured in an article some weeks ago.
At the time, thirty two or three years ago, his son was only a teenager, and was interested in photography at the time, they made up the Photo booth to take the picture, and presented a copy to the late Gerald Crotty.
Carl doesn’t keep any pigeons now, but still keeps an eye on what’s going on within the sport.
Carl Bowe was the owner and racer of some of the best Emerys Jones pigeons that ever came into this country and I remember well visiting him in the early eighties along with my Brother Michael and Thomas Moore to view the beautiful Red and Mealy Pied pigeons that this family produced, one in particular, a Red saddle back hen had just won the Munster Fed for Carl.
I will call on Carl Bowe one day, as he too is a mine of information, and a long time supporter of North Road racing here in the south of Ireland.
Another visitor to Alpine Aviaries this week, see photo, was Derek Sales from Ballybofey in Co Donegal, Derek races with the Strabane club in the NIPA, and retired here from England some seven or eight years ago, he finds the racing in this country quite difficult, as most who come here do, however he has started to get a family of birds together now that are performing to his satisfaction, it does take time I’m afraid, but I’m sure Derek will get there.
Well that’s it for this week, only to wish every one a good National race from Mauchline on Saturday, remember there can be only one winner, but all birds that cross from Scotland into these parts are well worth their perch in any loft, so look after them.
Usual contact with any info is.
Franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353599145419.
Punch.

John Dobbs, winner from Monaghan and Larne in Enniscorthy.

Derek Sales, recent visitor to Alpine Aviaries.

Lyn Griffiths, winner from Larne in Wexford RPC.

Wattie Cullen and Jimmy Conran winners from Larne in Cill Cheannaigh RPC.

Edward Holden Larne (2) winner in Cill Cheannaigh Club.

Keith Gardiner winner from Larne (1) in New Ross RPC.
willie reynolds

Re: News Update - June 2014

Leinster North Road Federation 14.

It has happened again, just when we thought the weather had settled down for a while, it has erupted again just in time to spoil our weekend North Road National race from Mauchline, in Scotland.. The plan was to race mark on Thursday for a Saturday race, however that was not to be, as the race controllers decided that heavy weather conditions, with thundery showers forecast, was deemed unfit to travel and the race has been postponed, temporarily, hopefully it will pick up soon and we can get away in the next few day’s.

Talking to a few fanciers about the situation, it was interesting to hear the different problems that each was encountering on account of the change in race plans and dates, most had their candidates set up and ready to go, widowhood cocks and roundabout hens, on fire with anticipation of the race ahead, not to mention the fanciers themselves, North Road National racing is taken very seriously in this neck of the woods, and I know that quite a number will be disappointed with what has happened, all of course appreciate that circumstances dictate what happens in any given race and unfortunately we have no control over the weather. That said, the consensus of opinion was that the results will now change, birds that were ready may well have gone over their peak, I’m not sure what to think of those statements, for I still believe that most of the fancied contenders will come up trumps regardless.

For my own lot, it looks like the birds that were sitting fourteen days will now be racing to day old chicks, those that had already hatched out babies, some a few days old now, will be struggling to cope, and the effects will begin to tell on them , if they don’t get away soon. The only thing, I suppose, is that we are all in the same boat as regards disruption to our plans, its just a matter of seeing who and which pigeons cope best with the changes.
Its Friday afternoon now and it looks as if the earliest we will have a National race will be next Wednesday, but, not sure yet.
In the meantime the Federation has decided to push on with the race programme and have a short race from Carrigmacross about 80 - 110 miles for most of the Fed members, that will keep them occupied until such time as we have confirmation of the National.

Its difficult to know if this idea will have much support from the members, as most are fairly well focused on the upcoming National race, and with the possibility of marking on Monday for that event, fanciers will have a few tough decisions to make over the weekend, I suppose, only time will tell.
Well racing is racing, no matter where its from, so when the Federation suggested a short race from Carrigmacross it was well received and we were away to the race on Sunday, liberated at nine fifteen, the birds made short work of it, even into the fairly strong headwind that was encountered on route, I will now give you the results that I have received for this race.

Barrow Valley RPC.
Taking the first five positions in our club was the partnership of Roly & Rocca, with velocities ranging from 1210 ypm, down to 1202ypm. they have had a fantastic season so far, seldom being out of the first few in any race this year..
Dwyane Brennan out in Rathoe, was sixth, with his 2010 Cheq Pied cock. His old bird breeder buyer of this year, he’s a steady pigeon with lots of previous form and is now earmarked for the Old Bird National from Frazerburgh.

Cill Cheannaigh.
Edward Holden has done it again in the Cill Cheannaigh club, taking the first three positions, his first bird on a velocity of 1172 ypm, was a yearling Busschaert Cheq hen, no previous, but now a winner. Second on the clock is the Red Busschaert cock that was second last week from Larne, and the third bird is a 2yo Soontjen Blue hen that already has several first prizes to its credit.
Noticeable about the results these day’s is that when a loft is in form they seem to have multiple timings in close proximity to one another, not like the old day’s when we would to be clocking one every few minutes, and multiple drops were few and far between, modern day racing & techniques I suppose.

Enniccorty
First and second positions were taken by the Polish partnership of Kurowski & Kolodizij, from Bunclodey, for the second week in a row. The slower pace of the races seems to suit them better and they take full advantage of it. First bird on the clock was a yearling Mealy cock, +doing a velocity of 1086ypm. The second bird, a 2yo Blue cock. Not easy to get a lot of information on these boys, for one reason or another, but if they keep racing like this, we may have to pay them a visit and get the low down on them myself.
Third and Fourth positions were won by John Dobbs, his first bird was bred and gifted to him by Jimmy McNally of Castlewellan and is of Tom Marshall bloodlines. The second bird was bought at auction and was presented by Brian Cully of Newbridge, from his Luc Poncelet imports, this one was a Grizzle, a typical representative of this strain, as she is most likely down off of Luc,s Champion 10, the Grizzle cock that put his name up there among the champions of Belgium.

Motor racing & The Moat of Ardscull..
Having written lately about the modern day rally cars that were about a few weeks ago it would be remiss of me not to mention the beautiful old cars that were present this week in our neighbourhood taking part in the annual Gordon Bennett rally which takes place in our area. When I saw some of the old cars about on Friday morning I decided to go up to the Moat and view, not only the cars but also the small monument that has been erected there. Now I have been there on many previous occasions as it is one of the first training spots for my young birds, but I’m ashamed to say that I never took much notice, as is usual for us that have things of historical importance on our door steps.
According to the plaque, the fourth Gordon Bennett rally took place in 1903 on the 3rd of July at this spot, and it made motor racing history by being one of the first events ever to be held on a closed circuit. The winner of the race was a Belgian Driver of a 60 HP Mercedes car.

Other Manufacturers were Panhard, USA. Mors, France. Napier, Great Britain. Winton, USA, and Peerless, USA. Most of these, I must admit, I have never heard of. The British car was driven by a Mr Edge. Doing an average speed of 35.5 mph. the winner was doing an average speed of 49 mph. over a distance of 327 Miles, the race itself was on two circuits of seven laps each, the first one taking in the towns of Athy, Stradbally, Portlaois, Monestereven, Kildare, Kilcullen and Ballyshannon, with the second leg, being in the opposite direction and taking in the towns of Athy, Carlow, Castledermot, Ballitore, Kilcullen and the finish at Ballyshannon, where a grandstand had been erected for the event. Nowadays I‘m not sure that it’s a race that takes place, as the roads are not shut off for the event, maybe its more of a fun run than anything, either way, those that take part, a lot of whom come over from the UK seem to enjoy themselves for the weekend, and keep this historic event alive for future generations of motor enthusiasts.

The Moat itself, called the Moat of Ardscull, Meaning “The Hill of Shouts“ where the Plaque is situated, would seem to have been a prime piece of real estate over the years, as they have been fighting over it since the year 111AD when the King of Leinster, Felim Reachtmal, “The Law Maker” King of Ireland, defeated the Munster men , they fought again over it in the 13th century and also in the 15th century, when the Fitzgerald’s took possession and finally it was the Duke of Leinster that planted the Moat in 1820 when things started to quieten down a bit I suppose.
Nowadays it is well kept, the trees on the Moat are beautiful Beech that are as straight as goal posts and must be standing some 150 feet in height, placed as they were right on the top of the Moat rampart which itself stands some 55ft in height. Its a lovely place to sit and look out over the counties of Kildare, Carlow, Laois, and Wicklow.

I going to leave it there now as I seem to have lost my way with this article, what with all the coming and going over the National.
Latest news in the Barrow Valley RPC from the Mauchline race is that Jimmy Hurley will win the Old bird race and son Davy will win the yearling race, with only a couple of minutes separating both birds.
In the Cill Cheannaigh RPC its Edward Holden taking 1st & 2nd, also Harry Beale has clocked his only yearling entry, fully pooled, hopefully for a good section and Open position, As a good worker for the sport, he deserves it.

Until next time, any new is welcome to Francis Corcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353599145419.
Punch

Competitor in the Gordon Bennet Rally.

Route of the Gordon Bennet Rally.

Plaque to the Gordon Bennet Rally.

The Moat of Ard Scull.

Edward Holden Cill Cheannaigh.

Harry Beale.

Rocca & Rolly winners from Carrigmacross.
willie reynolds

Leinster North Road Federation 15.

Now that the weather has finally taken up, the race results are coming in thick and fast, so much so, that I’m a bit behind with the whole scene, I will give a quick run down on what’s happened over the past couple of weeks, then I can get on to the Hamilton old bird Derby straight away in my next notes.
The Mauchline race was a pretty tough affair, however as usual some birds made good times and most fanciers in our area had arrivals that will feature well up in the Open prize lists, I’m sure. So here goes with a quick run down of the Mauchline results that I have to hand.

Barrow Valley.
Had Jimmy Hurley take first place in the old bird section, whilst son Davy will win the Yearling race.
Just before I finish, the Barrow Valley club Members would like to congratulate Damien Maher on clocking six birds in this most difficult event, just missing out on his first win in both races, however he has the consolation of knowing that all of his birds will feature well up in the Open and Section positions in both the Yearling and the Old Bird Nationals.

Cill Cheannaigh.
Harry Beale had the First placed yearling in the Cill Cheannaigh club, having sent only the one bird, this was a great achievement for Harry and not for the first time with a single entry, as he is definitely not a big team man, usually only sending the one or two birds to each race.
Again it was Edward Holden that clocked the first Old birds in the Cill Cheannaigh club, taking the first three positions, his winner, a SVR x Busschaert, bred by good friend, Matt Flood [ Billy] of Graiugenamanagh. Edward will take prominent Section and Open positions with his arrivals.

Wexford RPC.
Stalwart, Peter Doyle, clocking a Red Soontjen, takes the honours in Wexford just in front of Lyn Griffiths with the next two.

Enniscorty RPC. was won by Crosbie Bros, followed by John Dobbs.

And in NewRoss RPC. Terry Sinnott comes out on top.

As I said, details on this race are a bit patchy and I have not seen the Fed result for Mauchline as yet, but I’m sure more details will emerge shortly from the National people.
On now to this weeks race which was held on Sunday 15th as scheduled, for a change. The race point was Cookstown in Northern Ireland and the distance covered was between 120 / 160 miles to most members of the Fed.

Wexford RPC.
Taking pole position, Velocity 1744ypm. also Second for good measure, in the Wexford club was Thomas Walsh & son both birds were supplied as young birds last year by Alpine Lofts from Derek o Shea stock, the winning hen has already won from Navan as a young bird and both birds have flown consistently as young birds and now as yearlings. 3rd position was taken by Joe Sinnott.
I missed Joe in last weeks round up of the Carrigmacross race, so I will include it here, as written by Thomas Walsh.
1st was won by Joe Sinnott (Rosslare) Joe is one of our new fanciers having joined the north road club last year and has a successful future ahead of him.

Barrow Valley RPC.
Taking the First two positions on the same Velocity of 1744ypm was
Dwayne Brennan out in Rathoe flying 129 miles. His first bird was a two year old Cheq cock, followed immediately by a three year old cheq cock, these have been knocking on the door quite a lot in the last few races, however, with competition so close in our club, a few seconds can see you relegated right out of the results, and hence, not a mention. Dwayne has been winning races in our club for quite some time, but now with more commitments, he is concentrating a little more on the National events, he will obviously be chuffed that his birds have come into form just one week before the Hamilton Derby.

Davy Hurley took the next two, then Roly & Rocca had two in for 5th & 6th. I will mention J & J Hammond here now, because the lads said I probably would, John flies in partnership with his dad, John senior as J & J Hammond and they struggle to get birds on the result sheet in our club, flying as they do very short 110 miles in this race, and out in the middle of nowhere, in Dunlavin Co Wicklow in fact, a very difficult place to race pigeons, J & J have got their birds into form, as last week they clocked a very good yearling in the National from Mauchline, but as luck would have it, an ETS malfunction cost them their position in that race, so this week they were back on the T3, and given that they took 8th position from this race with only a few yards separating the first few in the club, I think they deserve a harty well don as well.

Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
First place, in this event went to the formidable Edward Holden, he is having a great season with his team, having won several of the races so far.
In this one he had a 3y/o Blue hen of Soontjen blood lines come to take the red card.
Taking the next two positions are the partnership of Conran & Cullen, both were yearling hens.

Newross, RPC.

No news again this week from the winners in NewRoss, but I believe that Keith Gardiner has a right good one down there doing 1470ypm. I suppose we’ll have to wait until the Fed results emerge to see.
Well that it for this week,

Any news or info to. Franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353599145419.

Peter Doyle of Wexford RPC.

Thomas Walsh & Son holding the Wexford winner from Cookstown.

Edward Holden winner in Cheannaigh from Mauchline and Cookstown.

Keith Gardiner winner in New Ross from Cookstown.
willie reynolds

Leinster North Road Federation 16.

Its now Friday morning and the weather is just fine, with good visibility some sunshine and a nice north easterly breeze, the birds have been race marked and are on route to Hamilton in Scotland for the second National race of the season, with a bit of luck and the weather holding up, we should see an early liberation in the morning.
The send in our area is pretty good for this time of the year, and not forgetting the difficult Mauchline we had a couple of weeks ago.
While out and about recently I paid a visit to Mick Miler in Clondalkin along with fellow club mate John Hammond and was very impressed with the set up there, Mick races with the Irish South Road Fed and also with the Irish South road National, we viewed all the stock birds, many of which had been imported from some of the best long distance lofts in the UK. Mick’s most recent achievement was in clocking a provisional 4th Open in the Irish South Road National from Truro in Cornwall, with a Yearling Blue pied Van Coppen cock raced on semi widowhood, he also timed a couple more including the late bred Mealy pied cock I have included in the photo of Mick at the lofts. I’m sure we’ll be hearing a bit more about Mick Miler, and we would like to wish him well in the future.
Back to the Hamilton race and, Saturday morning the news came through very early that the birds had been liberated in Hamilton, Scotland into a clear blue sky, with a light North Westerly breeze to help them on their way, at the home end the breeze seemed to be from the North East at times varying to North West during the morning. Most around here were expecting arrivals from around ten thirty, some were even more optimistic than that.

Barrow Valley RPC.
Well, what a good race it was for the members of the Barrow Valley Club from this second North Road National of the year.
Taking the red card on this occasion was Benny Nolan from the village of Old Leighlin, about 8 miles below Carlow Town, where most of our members race to.
With a velocity of 1646ypm, this Black cock, raced on widowhood blazed a trail that will most likely see him win 1st Section and take provisional 1st Open National in this race, if that be the case, there will be no more popular winner, certainly in our club anyway, as Benny is definitely one of the quite men of pigeon racing, he has been around birds for most of his adult life and has been very successful in the past from such race points as Frazerburgh, Thurso, and even Lerwick, in fact he has won Hamilton only a couple of years ago. His birds have been lightly raced this year, having only four inland races up to 140 miles before being sent to the National,
Another interesting point is that the birds have not been trained at all since being put on Widowhood at the beginning of the season. Well done to you Benny. In Second is another class pigeon named Roger belonging to the Partnership of Roly & Rocca, this yearling Blue pied cock of SVR Breeding, is off Rocca’s Dean Pallet mealy pied cock, a prolific winner on the road and now turning them out in the stock loft.
Roger has been racing really consistently all season, taking several positions along the way, again sent on total widowhood he recorded a velocity of 1602ypm that should see him take a prominent Section and Open position. Third club in a fairly tight finish was Dwyane Brennan from Rathoe, Dwayne’s birds have come into form just at the right time and are coming well for him, this latest result was turned in by a yearling Van Lint cock, bred from a son of Amos, purchased from Dean Pallet a couple of years back.

Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
What can I say about the winner this week in the Cill Cheannaigh Club only a hearty well done to Edward Holden, our Federation race controller whose birds have been racing out of their skins all of this year. In this race be clocked three birds in a few seconds to record velocities of 1640, 1640, and 1639 ypm. And Provisional 2nd & 3rd Open National, what a good performance these birds have put in from Scotland, well done Edward. His first bird is a Soontjen x Neulaerts 2y/o Blue hen, this was her first water race but she has been very consistent inland over the last couple of years winning several firsts at club level and also winning 2nd Federation earlier this year. His next arrival is definitely one of his best pigeons and also one of the best birds racing in our federation. A 2y/o cheq w/f cock, a Busschaert cross, he has already been to Scotland on four previous occasions, winning 6th Open in the young bird National from Mauchline, 4th Open from the Old bird National from Mauchline this year and now probable 3rd Open National from this Hamilton race, he is however a little unlucky in that he has been beaten into second position on two occasions already this year in inland races and again this time, by loft mates, for the Club snowball and DTW prize, a real good pigeon this, and always hanging around at or near the top of most result sheets, no matter where he races from. wouldn’t we all like to have a shed full of that type.

New Ross RPC.
I said it two weeks ago that Pat Ronan was playing a waiting game, as I know him for years and also know that his real interest lies in Channel / National racing, not for him the hustle and bustle of inland sprint racing, although he sends on a regular basis. Returns without injury in those events are his main priority, which enables him to have a decent team for selection for his favourite North Road National races, this time his winning pigeon was on a velocity of 1628 ypm also taking second position on 1597ypm. These two will take early Section & Open positions. Keith Gardiner was next on 1454ypm, this is another loft that has come to the fore this year and Keith is certainly enjoying his North Road racing. Well done boy’s.

Wexford RPC.
First and Second positions in the Wexford club were taken by Lyn Griffiths, his first bird putting in a velocity of 1558 ypm, next one was doing 1464ypm. Lyn's birds were bred down from Keith Couzans birds. Lyn's birds continue to show outstanding form.
Thomas Walsh and sons winning bird was the yearling that was second from Cookstown last week when he took first & second positions, well done Lyn & Thomas.

Enniscorty RPC.
The Polish lads from Bunclody, Kurowski & Kolodziej racing with the Enniscorty club take the first two positions here at Hamilton, next to them we have previous National winner Paddy Collins taking third, Paddy loves his North road National racing and is always there or there a bouts when the big races come round.

Before I go I would just like to mention on behalf of my good friend “no darkness “ Joe Brennan, how grateful he is to the fanciers that rallied to his assistance when he had a bit of bother with his young birds earlier this year, Edward Holden, David Doheny, Derek Brophy, Michael Ramsbottom, Derek o Shea, Tony Austin and Roly Brennan, all the above either gave young birds or organised young birds for Joe to continue racing with this year, and for that he is really thankful, as it was a dark time for Joe with the birds, again Thank you to all those mentioned above, and I would like to apologise in advance, if I have left any one out.

Well that just about wraps it up for this week, next National race is Frazerburgh on July 4th, lets hope all goes well for that one, so we can end the old bird season on a high note, it wasn’t long going, was it ?.

Any news or info to, Franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353599145419.
Punch.

Lyn Griffiths Wexford RPC, 1st Hamilton.

Mick Miller Clondalkin.

Thomas Walsh & Son Wexford RPC, 3rd Hamilton.

Edward Holden Cill Cheannaigh, 4 x 1sts plus prov 2nd Open Hamilton Nat.

Paddy, prov 3rd Open Hamilton Nat for Edward Holden.

Rocca & Rolly, 2nd Club Hamilton.

Dwyane Brennan Barrowvalley, 3rd Club Hamilton.

Benny Nolan Barrowvalley, prov 1st Sect & 1st Open Hamilton Nat.

Harry Beale, hard working Secretary.

David Doheny Cill Chainnigh clocked well from Hamilton.

Return to “Leinster NR Federation”