News Update - July 2014

Updates on all the local North Road news and events by Punch. E-mail: franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net Tel: 00353 599145419
Francis Corcoran, Alpine Lofts/Aviaries, 568 Shed Road, Levitstown,Maganey, Co. Kildare, http://www.alpinelofts.net
willie reynolds

News Update - July 2014

Post by willie reynolds »

Leinster North Road Federation 17.

After all the excitement of last weeks National race, its back to the Bread & Butter stuff this week, and it looks like another change is on the cards for this race, as it is the opinion of the federation committee that there will not be enough birds on board to justify the long haul up to Malin Head, but instead, a shorter race from Carrigmacross is planned. Marking for Frazerburgh will probably take place on Wednesday and I believe that most serious minded fanciers will be concentrating on their preparations for that one, however, as usual, there will be people looking forward to this weeks race, which gives them an opportunity to get another race into their birds before the season ends.

Young bird training seems to have got underway in the past week or so, and with the weather so fine it was a great opportunity to get them up an running. Thankfully I have not heard any tales of woe as yet, but as everybody knows, young bird training can be a nightmare, obviously the most important thing is to make sure that your birds are as healthy as can be, ever before, putting them in a basket, and also to make sure that the stress of the early training spins doesn’t bring on any ailments, try to be observant, the first signs of stress and the birds should be stopped for a day or two, just to make sure everything is ok, better to be safe than sorry, it is now acknowledged that the out break of decease can be so rapid, as to catch a fancier unawares, no use realising that they are not at their best when liberating them twenty or thirty miles down the road, at that stage it will be too late.

The weather has changed slightly over the last twenty four hours, its still warm but the rain has been falling, albeit softly, with no real heavy showers, rather they are just strong enough to water the crops and keep the farmers happy, I expect that if its fine again over the next few days that the growth will be tremendous. The corn fields in our area are starting to turn colour and harvesting will start within the month and certainly before the young bird racing starts. There is a field of Linseed growing just beside us, and the beautiful Blue/purple colour of it is quite striking, as it happens its in the same field as Green peas and beans, all these crops are thriving, having been sowed after the ground was prepared last year with a game crop put in over the winter, that effectively brought in every Pheasant and other wild bird in the area, which, although was not the original idea, certainly had the desired effect as far as I was concerned, just goes to show that if any effort is made by the likes of farmers or gamekeepers in any particular area, wildlife in general will definitely benefit from it.

Now on to this weeks results from Carrigmacross, a town just on the border with Northern Ireland, a distance of between 80 / 120 Miles to Fed members, and which provided a very successful race with practically 100% returns.

Wexford RPC,
News again this week provided by Thomas Walsh.
Hi Francis ,Race results for Carrigmacross on June 29th.
Taking, 1st and 3rd positions was Joe Sinnott, his first bird on a velocity of 1647ypm. In 2nd position its that man again Lyn Griffiths and son with a velocity of 1636ypm.
The winning bird for Joe, was a blue cock bred down from his Leo Dobbs bloodlines.
Leo's birds are flying very well for Joe at the moment. All our members are looking
forward to the Fraserburgh Old Bird National and would like to wish all competitors the best of luck in this event.
Looking at those velocities I would imagine that Joe’s bird might well be good enough to win the Fed, Francis

NewRoss RPC.
Looking at the result this week for the Newross club shows a brilliant race for Keith Gardiner who took ,1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th & 6th Positions. Best one doing 1636ypm
,He got 6 birds on the drop this week from 13 sent. His first over the pad was a 2 year old blue Gaby Vandenabeele cock. 2nd bird was a good yearing cock, a Janssen X Jan Aarden that has been very consistent all year and won the Federation from Cookstown two weeks ago. 3rd bird in the clock, is a yearling cheq Busschaert hen. and the 4th bird over the pad is a Staf van Reet cock. 5th is another Gaby Vandenabeele, this time a blue hen. 6th bird is a mealy Staf van Reet cock . The six birds were all clocked within 6 seconds. Fabulous flying by any standards, well done Keith.
Following his wins at club level in the previous two National races from Mauchline and Hamilton in Scotland, I have received the following report from Pat Ronan, NewRoss RPC.
Hi frank,
The family of birds that I am flying at the moment are a bit of a mixture. In 2005 while feeding my young birds in after been flying out, I noticed a stray among them, this bird was stamped and was racing from France. I rang the number and found that the bird belonged to a man called Ernest Logan from Ballyclare in Northern Ireland . He asked me to release the bird asap, as the race was still on, so I did so at about 4pm . Later that night, about 8pm, Ernest rang me back to say he had clocked the bird and that it had taken a nice position in the result He said I was to send him 4 rings, so that he could breed me some young birds the fallowing year . Well one of these birds turned out to be a real star, winning a number of 1st prizes including 1st open from the inland National. This cock is now the father of my loft and is the Sire of both club winners from Mauchline and Hamilton. I also race some Busschaert pigeons that I have crossed with the above mentioned cock . I honestly think that this is the luckiest bird I have ever owned.
Well Pat, it certainly proves the point that a lot of people make, and that is , the best pigeons are often obtained as gifts, given in goodwill, and not as a result of parting with your hard earned. The Photo included is of Pat Ronan with the Sire of his loft, a good winner on the road, and an even better Breeder in the stock loft, bred by Ernest Logan of Ballyclare and raced by Pat Ronan, NewRoss RPC.

Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
Edward Holden had another excellent race from Carrigmacross, clocking two hens on Vels of 1639 & 1638ypm. Both birds had been in the clock only last week from Hamilton when they won 2nd & 4th Open National. This time they take 1st & 2nd Club and will be well up there in the federation result. First bird was the Soontjen Blue hen, a two year old and now the winner of 5 x 1st prizes and a 2nd Open National, from Hamilton last week. Next bird was the two year old Busschaert Cheq hen, a very consistent winner including a 4th Open National from Hamilton last week. Edward is obviously not afraid to race his pigeons and is up for racing on any given day and can compete with the best in all races. Taking 3rd position was the partnership of Conran & Cullen with their very good cheq pied hen, this one from their Gerry Marley x Mickey Croskery bloodlines. Others to clock in the Cill Cheannaigh club and having the first birds into the city of Kilkenny is Pat o Shea taking 7th position, David Doheny had five drop together and Harry Beale also clocked well, all these, clocked in close proximity to the winners.

Barrow Valley RPC.
David Hurley takes the first three here , top velocity of 1628ypm, followed by Roly & Rocca with the next couple, then “No Darkness Joe” completing the top six.
A bit of late news just in, is that the Frazerburgh race has been postponed for a few day’s owing to weather conditions deteriorating over the next few days, hopefully we will get away soon, although with the old bird racing just finished and most not starting the young birds for a couple of weeks, there is no real pressure, apart perhaps, for those that had their candidates in certain nesting conditions, all I can say there is that everybody is in the same boat as regards the changes.
Well that about wraps it up for this week, only to say that when we get this Last old bird National race out of the way, we can start concentrating on the youngsters.

Any news to 00353999145419 or e-mail Francis Corcoran@alpinelofts.net

No Darkness Joe

Roger fantastic yearling cock for Roly & Rocca.

Pat O'Shea of Cill Chainnigh RPC.

Keith Gardiner holding his winner from Carricmacross.

Pat Ronan New Ross winner from Mauchlin and Hamilton.
Last edited by willie reynolds on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie reynolds

Re: News Update - July 2014

Leinster North Road Federation 19.

The birds finally got away to Frazerburgh in Scotland for the final Old Bird National race of the season, this is the race that all serious minded North road fanciers in this country look forward to, normally the race would take place from Thurso, a little further up the coast, but every now and again the membership opt for the slightly shorter race point.
Marking took place on Tuesday and with everything done and dusted by mid-day, we we were away down to Waterford to meet the transporter, as usual we were well looked after by those in attendance at the Waterford centre.
Thursday dawned a fine morning, with a North /North West breeze blowing, but apart from the slight bit of west in the wind that might make for a more difficult channel crossing, expectations were high in our area for day birds from this near four hundred mile race to our area, the Munster men would obviously be flying a good bit further which always makes for a tougher race on them.

Barrow Valley RPC.
Being a working day, most fanciers had someone on the look out for birds that might arrive early, others were relying on their ETS systems to hold the fort until such time as they arrived home from work, and so it was for the eventual winner JJ Hurley & Son that when he arrived home just after four, his ETS was showing the arrival time of his first bird to be 15:06pm from a liberation time of 6:15 this three year old black pied cock making a velocity of 1285 ypm for the 388 mile journey, was an absolute belter, that will feature well up in the National result, if not an outright winner. Next to ring in with an arrival was Dwayne Brennan or to be more precise, his side kick, James Nolan, as Dwayne was away in Spain on a family holiday, I’m not sure that he would not have preferred to be at home to see the arrival of his good yearling cock which was making a velocity of 1104ypm. The next two birds obviously came together as only mere decimals separated the two, the first one to David Hurley velocity 1072.5 the next to Roly & Rocca Velocity 1072.3. There was a total of nine birds clocked on the day in our club and a further four early next morning that will feature in the Open result, including one to our best novice this year, Damien Maher, so all in all a good days racing for members of the Barrow Valley club.

NewRoss RPC.
Had Pat Ronan take the premier prize here, as he did in the last two channel races, a good two year old cheq cock bred down from the original Ernest Logan, Ballyclare birds, these pigeons have flown exceptionally well for Pat over the last number of years right up to National level.

Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
The Red Busschaert cock that featured earlier in the year for Edward Holden has scored again, this time at just over four hundred miles on this extremely hard route from the north of Scotland into the sunny south east of Ireland, he’s been over before on several occasions, but this was his first trip to Frazerburgh.

Enniscorty RPC.
Paddy Collins wins first and second in the Enniscorty club with his only two entries, the first a blue hen sitting eggs and feeding youngsters in another nest, the second bird was its mate and obviously sent in the same condition, Paddy had put a bit of time into these two and was a little concerned with the delay of the shipment day, the hen went on to lay before basketing and was deemed fit enough to travel and Paddy’s judgment was vindicated, not surprising really, Paddy having won this race from Sterling in 2009, so he knows what it takes to get them from these races. 3rd bird clocked into Enniscorty was to the Crosbie Bros.

Hopefully we will have more information on the Open winners next time, but I do know that Peter Mansell clocked a real good one down in Clonmel to win section “M” and that Nicky Hayes from Tramore Co Waterford clocked to be well up in the Munster Federation flying over four hundred and forty miles, well done to all.

Over this past weekend we had the pleasure of a visit from good friend Paul Gunning of Bude in Cornwall who came to stay with us for a short break. Its always a great craic when he calls and it gives us a chance to catch up. We had a visit to a few fanciers in the area, a few pints and watched the world cup final together with Derek & Sue with whom he stayed whilst here, I’ve included a few photo’s of his visit, one of which includes the 800 year old Carlow Castle, this building towers over the lofts of Frank Archbold our oldest member who has raced pigeons in the shadow of the Castle for over fifty years, clocking some mighty pigeons from the likes of Lerwick, Thurso, and Frazerburgh on the North road, over those many years.

As I write these notes I have been told of quite a few birds arriving home in the past few day’s from races that were flown in the past month, it must have been a change in the weather as they arrived from race points such as Hamilton, Mauchline, & larne and also Dwayne Brennan has had his best pigeon, the 2010 pied cock 36 arrive safe and well from Frazerburgh, having made one of the few mistakes of his racing career, always nice to see them get home, regardless.
Next up will be the young bird racing, we’re taking a short break, then starting on the 21st with a short spin from Trim between 50 to 90 miles for the Fed members. Let’s hope that things work out better than last year or we will be back to square one again.

Until next time, any info can be sent to Franciscoran@alpinelofts.net or phone 00353599145419.
Punch.

Paul Gunning with Roly Brennan.

Paul Gunning and Frank Archbold beneath Carlow Castle.

JJ Hurley & Son winners from Frazerburgh in Barrow Valley RPC.

Paddy Collins of Enniscorthy 1st & 2nd from Frazerburgh.

Red cock 1st Frazerburgh for Edward Holden.

Pat Ronan of New Ross, winner from Frazerburgh.

Relaxing in the garden at Alpine Lofts.
willie reynolds

Re: News Update - July 2014

Leinster North Road Federation 20.

Just received this letter from Jodie Thomas in Wexford, asking if I might include it in one of these articles for the pigeon papers. That is something that I am always prepared to do, so , if anyone out there wants anything included in these notes please get in touch. A nice photo, such as the one included with Jodie’s letter would be most welcome. With this particular letter, it will go in as written by Jodie.
Hi Francis
Please find enclosed some information on my Grandad, Adam Thomas, Wexford.
Adam was always a lover of pigeons & pigeon racing. As a young boy he raced pigeons with his uncles Billy and Lar Murphy in the 50's and 60's and enjoyed some success in his day, especially on the North road channel races. Even after marrying wife Mary and moving address he kept up with racing, his main interest was North road channel racing and he lived for it, even more so, than his love of greyhounds which he always kept with his brother Danny.
During his racing days he clocked pigeons from different race points in Scotland and was delighted when he timed a bird from Lerwick which was 13th open, That race organised by the late Stuart Cant in Dublin.
Later on, I started racing pigeons with my dad, Anthony, and we still race as Anthony & Jodie Thomas in the Wexford RPC, we have had some good times together and still enjoy our racing.
Yours in sport, Jodie Thomas, Wexford RPC.

Some more good News for our federation, has been the acceptance of new members from the Arklow area and we expect that they will be starting to race with us straight away in the young bird races, look forward to hearing from the winners in that area for inclusion in these notes.

New Members have also joined from the Wexford, Enniscorty, and NewRoss clubs, welcome to Tony Kelly, Jack o Brien, Jack & Luke Power and old North road soldier Michael Holman.
The Federation and the North Road National are always looking for new members, either through the north road clubs or as individual members of the National, if you are interested just get in touch with any of the North road clubs in your area or contact Harry Beale the Secretary of the North Road National Flying Club direct for more information.

Also on board, for the start of the young bird season is the Fethard Club, already they have provided good birdage for the first two races, and long may it continue. Maybe some one from that club might get in touch with their club winners, as I am receiving the info second hand at the moment, and again photo’s of your club members and club winners would be most welcome.
The first race for the young birds got off to a start this week with a short pipe opener from Trim in Co Meath, a distance of between 50 and 90 miles to the different clubs in our Fed. Liberated at 8:30 am. Into good conditions with west in the wind.

Wexford RPC.
No result this week from the Wexford club, but I believe it will be between Lyn Griffiths, Peter Doyle and new Fed member Tony Kelly for the early prizes.
Enniscorty RPC.
Paddy Collins wins here with a velocity of 1487ypm. Quite a good bird this and should run close for Fed honours this week.
NewRoss RPC.
Billy Sinnott from John Purcell and Terry Sinnott in that order are the winners of the first three places here in NewRoss
Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
Pat o Shea had the first two in the Cill Cheannaigh club followed closely in third position by David Doheny with one of his Star View Busschaerts.
Fethard RPC.
First three positions go to Mick Nolan from a good entry from this new club.
No info on the birds as yet, hopefully we can get someone from down there to send in their results and some info on the winners.

Barrow Valley RPC.
First, Second, & Third positions, Vel 1285ypm, go to the Roly & Rocca partnership, with a Red cock bred for them by Enda & Tom Kelly from their old Busschaert family, their second bird was one of their trusty Staf van Reets. This was a great start for the lads having moved their loft at the end of the old bird season, they are now racing to Roly’s home address. With young families to look after I think that the travelling back and forth to the lofts has taken its toll on them both, now they will have the luxury of having them much closer to home.

The second race also took place from Trim, this one, on the Wednesday midweek, liberated at 8:30am. Into a west north west wind and fine conditions on route.

Wexford RPC.
No News so far this week, which surprises me as Thomas Walsh is normally on the ball with his clubs results each week. Although the grapevine say’s there are some good birds clocked in Wexford. lets be hearing from ye boy’s down there.

Enniscorty RPC.
John Dobbs has the first bird into Enniscorty this week, well ahead, on a velocity of 1461ypm. A cheq hen bred from his Jim Donaldson imports. Second and third positions go to the polish lads , Kurkowski & Kolodziej, in Bunclody. Flying a bit short, these boy have a difficult task to compete in this club.
NewRoss RPC
The Chairman Joe o Neill takes first position on 1341ypm with a Van Loon x Rocca & Roly Grizzle cock, sire belongs to Kathleen Delaney crossed with a hen purchased by Joe from the Carlow partnership of Rocca & Roly. Next two positions to Pat Ronan with his own family of birds blended with lines obtained from Ernest Logan of Ballyclare.
Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
Davy Barron & Son woke up to find four in the loft that will take the first four here in the Cill Cheannaigh club, thank goodness for ETS. The first a Blue hen both parents bred by Jimmy Conran. Next a cheq cock from birds off Roly & Rocca, these two doing 1344 ypm. The next two doing 1343ypm.

Fethard RPC.
Luke and John Power have the first two in this new club to our federation, I’m sure they will make a big impact on future results.

Barrow Valley RPC.
Roly and Rocca take the first three in the Barrow ValleyRPC.Velocity 1330ypm
Then Damien Maher, Michael Ramsbottom and Anthony Baldwin in that order
Returns in our club were excellent with over 95% returns which augurs well for future racing. Not all of our members are up and running yet with quite a slow start to the season for most . Having had quite a difficult and intense old bird campaign, it would appear that most are taking a breather and treading softly with their young birds, having said that, “No Darkness Joe” is on holidays at the minute, which means that he will probably hit the ground running on his return and set fire to the racing and get everybody up and at it once he gets going.

Wind and weather has played its part in the results of the first two young bird races, which just goes to show that if you have patience and the weather is in your favour the results will come. That is the beauty of pigeon racing.

Till next time, any news or items to. Franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353599145419.
Punch

John Dobbs winner from Trim.

Roly & Rocca 1st & 2nd Trim.

Paddy Collins 1st & 2nd Trim.

Adam Thomas and grand-daughter Jodie Thomas.

Diarmuid Barron & Son of Cill Chainnigh RPC top four Trim.

Pat O'Shea 1st Trim.

Billy Sinnott New Ross winner from Trim.

Return to “Leinster NR Federation”