News Update - August 2014

Updates on all the local North Road news and events by Punch. E-mail: franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net Tel: 00353 599145419
Francis Corcoran, Alpine Lofts/Aviaries, 568 Shed Road, Levitstown,Maganey, Co. Kildare, http://www.alpinelofts.net
willie reynolds

News Update - August 2014

Post by willie reynolds »

Leinster North Road Federation 21

With the rain pouring down here at the moment, Saturday evening, there was no hope that we would have got a race tomorrow, so it was a good decision to hold back and have the marking on Sunday evening for a Monday race, as it happens to be a bank holiday weekend, nobody should be too put out about that decision, however, another slight problem has popped up, that being, that all the major organisations in the North of Ireland have decided to do the same thing, which means that our birds flying southwards could be flying straight into the path of over 40,000 birds heading north, now this is not a big country and not a lot of air space available, so our situation will have to be accessed in even more detail than anticipated.
With so many birds in the sky on Monday, we decided to hold the birds a little later than usual and liberated the convoy of just over 900 birds into a North West breeze.
The returns were no better or worse than usual with some fanciers having all their entries home, with others that have some still missing, a typical young bird race.
Just to catch up first, we have some results in from the Wexford P.R.O. Thomas Walsh
Wexford RPC
Hi Francis
Results from Trim on the 27th July.
1st Lyn Griffiths and son
2nd Peter Doyle
3rd Tony Kelly
Results from Trim on the 30th July.
1st Peter Doyle
2nd Lyn Griffiths and son
Results from Carrickmacross on the 4th August.
1st Peter Doyle
2nd Anthony and Jodie Thomas
3rd Peter Doyle
Ennioscorty RPC.
He went, he conquered, and now he’s back. Eddy Dobbs takes pole position in the Enniscorty Club on his return to North road racing, his dark cheq cock doing a velocity of 1200ypm. next Paddy Collins with another dark cheq, this one a hen from his own family, followed closely by Crosbie Bros with a cheq hen.
A little more detail on the winning birds and fanciers, and a few photo’s would be much appreciated.

NewRoss RPC.
Pat Ronan had a good race here winning 1st & 3rd positions

Arklow Members had 129 birds away for their first race back on the North road after a long stint away on the South road, but like everything else in life, these things go around in cycles and we are glad to have a few of them back competing with us. There is a long tradition of North road racing in the County of Wicklow and plenty of fine performances have been put up by fanciers in that area in many a North Road National., one only has to look at the inscriptions on the An Taoiseach Cup for the longest North Road National race from Thurso to appreciate that fact.
James Clare took the pole position in this event from Carrigmacross on a velocity of 1205ypm just ahead of J & M Murphy on 1180ypm then John Annesley in 3rd, not a lot of detail as yet, but I’m sure someone from over there will keep me posted in future events.
Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
Edward Holden back to winning way’s in the Cill Cheannaigh club with a 1,2,3, in this race, his first bird, a Red Bucharest x Van Reet cock, Winning velocity was 1267ypm. Diarmuid Barron & Son were next with only decimals separating both lofts.
Barrow Valley RPC.
Rocca & Roly take first place in this race with a likely Fed topper, on a velocity of 1286ypm just ahead of Damien Maher and Tom McNally in his first race back with the club after being out through illness, a welcome return by Tom and I’m sure it wont be long before he visit’s the winning enclosure, I did say the same thing about Damien Maher some time ago but thus far that illusive first prize has evaded him, but he is still trying, remember boys this partnership of Roly & Rocca will show no mercy when it comes to winning races, we are all going to have to try a little harder, there’s only a yard or two in it, the difference is, that these guys seldom make any mistakes in their preparation and their attention to detail is second to none.

Next week we are in Monaghan and it looks like it will be Monday for this one, with the weather acting up again it is very unstable, with some difficult decisions having to be made by all concerned.
As regards these write ups, I’m afraid that the information I am receiving on the races in my opinion is not up to scratch, taking into account that the people that provide these notes, do their best to get as much info as possible, it seem that that their task is near impossible, with the lack of information being presented to them. Its going to take a bit more detail on the winning birds and fanciers to make the effort sustainable and worthwhile, the will is there, but without the proper info it just does not make good reading, so please help them to get something tangible to use.
I told you at the beginning of the year that mere results are not enough, as these can be seen within minutes of birds being clocked on every mickey mouse web site going, which seems to be the norm these days, but in my view it does take away from the winners of the races. From what I can gather, most of the material on these sites seems to be a little hysterical and very sensational and before the real results come out in full, the performances of the birds and fanciers is lost in the furore over whether they should or should have been released, losses being reported as fact within minutes of the winners being clocked instead of waiting a good few hours and get a more realistic view of the returns, remember birds that are not home within a few minutes of the winners are not always lost, in most cases they do turn up, but unfortunately this is not what some people want you to hear or read about, no, they seem to get some type of satisfaction in getting the negative message out there, and as quickly as possible, as they say there’s no point in letting the truth get in the way of a good story, especially if it spells doom and gloom for those competing, we seem to have lost the ability to wait, take stock and then analyse the results of any particular race or event in the rush for a quick fix, as it were.
Anyway that’s my lot for this week, any news or info to Francis Corcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353599145419. Punch.

Rocca & Roly

Peter Doyle

Edward Holden

Pat Ronan
willie reynolds

Re: News Update - August 2014

Leinster North Road Federation 22.

It was off to Monaghan this week for us, but as usual the weather wasn’t kind on the Sunday, so it was decided to have the race on Monday. That being a working day put some off the idea of racing, but I think the wind forecast being due west had most of them running for cover, having said that it is up to each individual to make up there own mind as to when and where they want to race their birds, that being the case it makes life a bit better for those in charge, as its about time the members take responsibility for their birds when deciding whether to send to a race or not, we all see and understand the forecasts these days, so when it looks a bit dodgy, make your own decision and remember that they are going to a race and will most likely be released as that is what they are being sent there for in the first place, if you don’t want them released or don’t trust those that are in charge of releasing them, then don’t send and be done with it. The birds were released in Monaghan at 7:30am on the Monday morning. Now on with the results
Arklow North Road Members..
Winning first club and a likely Fed winner this week, Velocity 1306ypm is the Father & Son Partnership of John & Mick Murphy, their timer was a light cheq hen of the old Walkinshaw bloodlines that the boy’s bought in from John Catherwood, NI, when they were getting back in to the birds. These are an old strain in these parts and are built for hardship, which is what they will get plenty of whilst racing on the north road with us, their second bird, which finished in third position was a Jan Aarden blue cock, this one from birds brought in from Keith Cousins of Fishguard.
Splitting these two was octogenarian fancier John Annesley, don’t have any details of the bird, but I do understand that when john decided to return to racing, his son acquired some of the best birds available to get him started, if I’m not mistaken John had a great result from Swansea last year when he finished 2nd Open in that race. Back in the day’s, John used to be the driver/Convoyer for the old North road Fed that included birds from Newtown right down the coast to Wexford, I met him several times on the road, in the likes of Dundalk, Monaghan and Larne, and at that time he was always committed to the job in hand, I’m delighted to see him enjoying his retirement and racing his pigeons again. Damien Farrell completes the Arklow result in fourth position.
Wexford RPC.
News again this week from Thomas Walsh
Hi Francis, Please find race results below for Monaghan on the 11/08/14
1st and 2nd Lyn Griffiths and son on 1236ypm.
3rd Joe Sinnott
Lyn's bird 146 is a blue hen of Campius x Tommy Storey x Staf van Reet breeding, quite a mix, don’t you know, but winning regularly for Lyn. Both parents of this bird have won from Mauchline, Scotland in the Eire National North Road races.
Enniscorty RPC.
A one, two. Three here for John Dobbs, on a Velocity of 1230ypm. His first bird, a FVW x SVR, both parents bought at the Dublin show a couple of years ago, the sire from Plantation Lofts, the Dam from Petron Lofts. Also clocking well were Paddy Collins and Eddy Dobbs who were both in close contention.
Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
Edward Holden had the first three here, his first bird a Blue cock, on a Velocity of 1113ypm, was a gift pigeon from near neighbour and good friend Diarmuid Barron, it was up for sale earlier in the year, but when there was no takers for this one, he was gifted to Edward, so someone has missed out on a good one. Next two a Blue hen of Soontjen bloodlines, then a cheq pied Busschaert cock finishing the line up for Edward.
Harry Beale had his single entry home in good time again, so 100% returns for Harry, and what a great supporter and sportsman Harry is, taking part in nearly every race with as little as a single entry for each event, a bit more of that spirit would see a more flourishing sport for us all.
Barrow Valley RPC.
J&J Hammond won in the Barrow Valley club, velocity 1057ypm on a difficult day for our club, it was John senior’s birthday the previous day, so a nice present for him, not sure how old or young he was on the day and I’m not guessing, because I need to have my facts straight or he will be getting on to me. The bird clocked was one of their imports from Mick Miler, Clondalkin. Taking the next three positions with all three on the one yard was Derek o Shea, all were bred in Belgium by our good friend Luc Cueleman.
This Sunday it was the race point of Cookstown, and with the wind more or less in the same position with perhaps a little more north in it, the birds were released at 8am for their journey of between 120 to 170 miles to the lofts in our Federation.
Arklow Members.
Club results was John Annseley 1st at 1518ypm and 2nd on1381ypm and Peter Lucas from Carnew in 3rd at 1378ypm John &Michael Murphy were 4th on 1367ypm and 5th on 1363ypm.
Wexford RPC.
News again this week from PRO Thomas Walsh, and he writes.
Hi Francis
Please find below race results for Cookstown 17/08/14!
1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th was won by Lyn Griffiths and son, velocity 1502ypm
Lyn's 1st and 4th birds are nest mates, They were bred down from birds by William De Bruyn and Tommy Story. His 2nd and 3rd birds are also nest mates and bred from the same stock. Kind Regard, Thomas Walsh.
Enniscorth RPC.
Clocking near 11 minutes in front of his club mates this week with his winner in the Enniscorty club was John Dobbs, John is having a good season so far this year having won several races already, this one, a Blue cock is home bred and was doing 1475ypm. In second position we have the Polish partnership of Kurkowski & Kolodizij with a Blue hen on 1446ypm. Paddy Collins takes the third position on 1377ypm.
NewRoss RPC.
1st Pat Ronan ,2nd Joe o Neill ,3rd Pat Ronan.
Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
Winning the Cill Cheannaigh club on a velocity of 1456ypm and having a good season overall is Diarmuid Barron & Son with a gift Pigeon from George Cully of Finglas in Dublin, this Blue hen had been trained privately from the earlier race points single up and was reckoned to be putting in quite good times from these, so the decision was made to pool her in the snowball that has been running now for some 18 weeks and hadn’t been won all season, she has duly obliged and has earned her corn for the year, well done Diarmuid. Second position and never far off the lead is Edward Holden with the same cock that won from Monaghan last week, as explained before, he was a gift from Diarmuid Barron earlier in the year.
Third place went to the Conran & Cullen partnership with one from their Gerry Marley x Padfield family of pigeons.

Barrow Valley RPC.
Having a great race this week was Tom McNally of Bagnalstown, a small town about 10 miles below Carlow town. Tom had the first eight positions in the Barrow Valley Club, the first on a Velocity of 1462ypm. All are from the bloodlines of Enda Kelly and Mick Whelan from Clondalkin.
Right, that’s it for this week, usual contact applies. Franciscorcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353599145419.

John Dobbs.

John Hannond Senior holding winner from Monaghan.

Lyn Griffiths.

John & Michael Murphy.

Pat Ronan.

Diarmuid Barron & Son.

John Annesley Sons and g/son.
willie reynolds

Re: News Update - August 2014

Leinster North Road Federation 23.

This weeks race was held from Larne, a distance of between 140/190 miles to our federation members.
Enniscorty RPC.
Taking first position on a velocity of 1610ypm, with a Janssen cheq hen was the loft of Crosbie Bros, from John Dobbs in second with a FVW x Van Reet blue hen. and Eddie Dobbs in third position, with a G daughter of his Hamilton National winner.
Returns were reported to be excellent in the Enniscorty club.
Wexford RPC. Results, as sent in by PRO, Thomas Walsh.
Hi Francis, Race results for larne 22/08/14
1st and 2nd Lyn Griffiths and son, on 1603ypm. In 3rd Tony Kelly
Again, an outstanding performance by Lyn Griffiths and son who took 8 out the first 10 places in our club. Lyn’s birds continue to show outstanding form, and also a great performance from one of our new members, Tony Kelly.
Barrow Valley RPC.
Following on from his great performance last week when he took the first eight positions in our club, Tom McNally continues this week with the top four in the Barrow Valley, Vel 1569ypm. Roly & Rocca, followed by J & J Hammond were in to complete the result. The club also held their young bird breeder / buyer in this race, with Billy Brooks winning first prize of €250 as the breeder and buyer.
Roly & Rocca took the final share of €150, they too were also the breeder and buyers. Returns in this event were rather patchy in our club, with a good few out overnight.
There is so much North and West in the wind that the youngsters are finding it difficult to work into it, then, when they end up miles below and east of us, they are reluctant to face back into it again, considering that we would have the largest number of birds on the truck, it would appear that the urge to keep to the East along the coast, is stronger than the drag that should be there with numbers.
Arklow Members.
In first position this week is the partnership of John & Michael Murphy, Velocity 1566ypm John Annseley is have a great run of form following his win last week, and takes second position in this race on 1559ypm, followed closely by Perter Lucas for 3rd & 4th places on 1556& 1555ypm, with Damien Farrell finishing the result in 5th position on 1552ypm. A very close run competition over there in Arklow this week.
Cill Cheannaigh RPC.
Result of Cill Chainnigh RPC from Larne 22/8/14 1st Conran & Cullen with a blue cock bred from Gerry Marley stock vel 1549ypm. 2nd Conran & Cullen cheq pied hen bred from Gerry Marley x Padfield bloodlines, vel 1548. 3rd Edward Holden cheq wf Busschaert cock vel 1547.
NewRoss RPC.
Joe o Neill wins here also 3rd with two of his Staf van Reet young birds bred from Red Daniel and Toey bloodlines, Velocity of 1567ypm just in front of John Power in 2nd place on 1556ypm.
The Wars.
Speaking to Frank Archbold the other day he told me that the current edition of the Pictorial was one that was well worth having. The copy in question was the one with world war one in it from cover to cover. So much so that he went out and purchased another copy, as he had donated his own copy to our local museum here in Carlow, for which they were very grateful and promised to put it on display in the coming weeks, it may seem peculiar to our friends in England, but until recently there has been very little in the way of publicity to those that enlisted from this country and fought in both world wars, but thankfully that anomaly is being addressed in a big way by those that should have known better over the years. Many people in this country have relations that went to war, however their sacrifice has never or very seldom been recognised until lately. Talking to my mother the other day, she told me of my grandfather, and his two brothers who went off to battle, only one returned, my grandfather, and unfortunately he was never a well man after, but the horrors of war were never spoken of and details of their deaths and those of many others are not remembered in this country as they so rightly are in Great Britain. There is a monument in Kilkenny and I believe that my two Gran uncles are listed on that, but until I spoke to my mother, it was the first I had heard of it. Over the coming years, I hope that things will get better, as they have done in so many other aspects of conflict in our country.
Young Fanciers
Had a visit the other day from a young man , Adam Hillis of Wexford, and what a right young fella he is, not surprising that he is very interested in the pigeons, and will make a a really good pigeon fancier. being the grandson of one of the best National flyers in this country, Robin Hillis, a multi National winner at that. Adam himself at only 15 is very quite, has his own loft at his parents house, and loves his pigeons.
He has had quite a bit of success with them so far, having won the Penzance race in his club already this year. His father Brian, although more interested in breeding Native birds than pigeons, is giving Adam all the encouragement he requires, which, in this day and age is to be commended. I have included a nice photo of Adam and his Dad on their recent visit to Alpine Aviaries.
Well that’s it for another week, will have the results of the Federation Gold ring scheme then I hope. Any news or photo’s to :
Usual contact is Francis Corcoran@alpinelofts.net or 00353599145419.

Lyn Griffiths.

John Hammond Jnr.

Adam & Brian Hillis.

John & Michael Murphy.

Wattie Cullen and Jimmy Conran.

Tom McNally and his children.

Joe O'Neill.

Return to “Leinster NR Federation”