March Update 2015 -

The UK's Premier One-Loft Race From FRANCE. THE ULTIMATE IN ONE LOFT RACING.
willie reynolds

March Update 2015 -

Post by willie reynolds »

31st March

The weather today was not so good, heavy rain showers and very strong winds so we took the decision to concentrate on working with the new arrivals, all were again put through the traps, yes although it was at times absolutely poring it down we continued with the job in hand so maybe tomorrow we will assign the green team it all depends on the weather.

I have been asked about the venture birds………. If you click onto the shop page you will see the ventures which are for sale, again this year I travelled to Belgium and had selected the birds, we have again had ventures from Karl and Tom Hufkins in 2014 birds from this loft achieved amazing results, unfortunately all the Robin Cools birds are sold, new this year is 10 ventures from Eric Ceulamans and class they are.

Some 2014 results achieved by venture pigeons.. Hot Spot 1 birds were 2nd and 20th, Hot Spot 2 birds were 8th and 9th, Hot Spot 3 birds were 1st, 20th, 11th and 13th, Hot Spot 4 birds were 1st, 2nd, 7th and 9th, Hot Spot 5 birds were 2nd, 5th and 10th, Final Race from France 295 Miles in a North East Wind birds were 2nd, 6th, 11th, 14th, 20th, 21st, 38th, 40th and 56th, absolutely outstanding Oh i forgot also the Ace pigeon was a venture bred by Karl & Tom Hufkins but because it was not purchased before the first Hot Spot it did not qualify, birds from this top Belgium loft raced outstanding, don’t sit on the fence and miss out, I again selected these venture birds, I spoke with Eric Ceulamans and told him of the performances achieved by the ventures in 2014 his words i have selected birds to win, his words not mine.

Until Next Time Remember Who Dares Wins - Gary,Annette & Rob

29th March

Well what a miserable day, it has rained most of the day, I started at 7.30am this morning with the scraper and then tested all the blinds for darkening the loft all is good, more birds arrived to-day one of which was Team A.K these guy’s travelled all the way up from Portsmouth some 200 miles so fair play to them, we sat in the office having a coffee and a natter about how we intend to race the youngsters, medication, feeding etc plus various other aspects of racing in general, I think it is safe to say they were impressed, I would like to thank you guy’s for bringing your entries personally let’s hope we meet again on the final day, as I stated yesterday the youngsters go on the dark system to-day so at 4.55pm the lights were put on then all the birds was driven into their section of the loft, at 5.00pm it was click and lights out its bed time, lights on again at 9.00am tomorrow then all out into the aviaries, its the start of another week of educating the babies it is rather like school, some liked it and some didn’t pigeon’s are no different, some adapt immediately to our method’s and some dig their heels in but for sure there can and will be only one winner, we now have 363 birds in the loft and more arriving to-day so all is well.

To View the Race Program For 2015 click on Results and select Current Results.

28th March

Well were does the day go, its all action now, again to-day I hand caught 165 youngsters and put them through the traps, more birds are arriving tomorrow and all next week, we are closing in on the shut off date of 16th April, next week the green team will be allocated their ETS rings and move onto stage two of their education, tomorrow the birds will start on the Darkness system this will bring on stress and some will panic and come down with the dreaded YBS but we are prepared.

I today spoke with Leon and there has been an issue with my e-mails thus the delay in the ring list update, but if you click on now the ring list has been updated, thanks for your patience things are moving forward and improving just look were we were 12 months ago, hard work, honesty and dedication is why we are now and only in our second year the Premier One Loft race in the UK and Ireland.

To View the Race Program For 2015 click on Results and select Current Results.

Until Next Time Remember Who Dares Wins - Gary,Annette & Rob wink

24th March

Hi Everyone, to-day we have been extremely busy, we have had quite a few visitors we now have over 281 birds in the loft this is without the venture birds, we have vaccinated 105 birds to-day and have also put the green and red team through the traps, we will be assigning the birds in the Orange team tomorrow they will then join the others in the top section’s of the loft, I hope to move the green team up 2 section’s by Sunday but they will not be rushed we have plenty of time, some are asking how long are the older ones flying for when I say it depends we just allow them to do as they please so say perhaps 5 or 10 minutes they look at me as if to say that’s not very long but we never allow them to go onto the grass, this is important, we do things a little different here, we will get the birds to fly an hour or more when we are ready, for now its all about them familiarising themselves there is no need to put extra stress on them at this early stage, also in 2 weeks the hawk threat will have minimised because they will be sitting eggs so the hawk’s are reluctant to take chances and go more for the poor song birds.

I was over in Belgium on Monday picking up the Venture birds, we have again purchased birds from Karl and Tom Hufkin’s, Robin Cools and new this year Eric Ceulaman’s and a fine sample they are, if the venture’s this year race as the others did in 2014 then the purchaser’s will get real value for their money.

To View the Race Program For 2015 click on Results and select Current Results. I have just e-mailed the latest Ring List to Leon so a new list should be on the site shortly.

18th March

Well another good but long day to-day, we decided to take the Orange team down the field and release them from the crates, all did O.K but it was a 5 hour job getting them all back in and through the traps, we did have fanciers bringing birds today and they all said you have patience of a saint, I would just open the aviary door and let them in but that’s no use, you cannot let youngsters beat you, we had over 40 no problem at all but you always get some which try to break you, but the corn tin will be the master and there will be only one winner. The irish birds arrived this morning a great job done by G&R Couriers, the birds was picked up at 1.00pm yesterday and they were at the lofts at 4.00am this morning well done Rob, I hope for the ring list to be updated later but we do now have 218 birds in the loft and more arriving daily.

Thanks for you patience regarding the ring list. To View the Race Program For 2015 click on Results and select Current Results. I have just e-mailed the latest Ring List to Leon so a new list should be on the site shortly.

Until Next Time Remember Who Dares Wins Gary,Annette & Rob

16th March

Hi, well fancier’s doesn’t time fly when you are enjoying yourself, I have been up at 3.30am for the last 7 days helping Rob get the vans away, to-day I drove up to Halifax to collect birds for Ireland, many thanks to Ron Hillcoat for getting out of his bed at 5.30am to get me the squeakers, I was back home for 7.00am which is perfect I didn’t have to ring Annette to open the loft, we let the youngster’s into the aviaries at 7.30am, well the education has continued to-day and all is going well, we have more arriving over the next couple of days, Rob is collecting 18 from Ireland which includes 6 from last years winners Cookstown Sizzlers, probably the most successful One Loft Fanciers ever, they have won the NCC & Our race in the last 3 years. The older youngsters are starting to get brave flying longer and now going over the field some are still squeaking.

To View the Race Program For 2015 click on Results and select Current Results. I have just e-mailed the latest Ring List to Leon so a new list should be on the site shortly.

13th March

Hi everyone, well all is going superb, the older youngsters have been out everyday and are trapping unbelievable, we have moved the orange ringers up a section so come Monday things will now increase with this team, the youngest have green split rings on and have been through traps everyday although we do have new arrivals coming in daily, we now have 170 in the loft and more on the way back from Devon as I update, Rob has been really stretched, can I again ask that you try and give Rob ( G&R Couriers ) 5 days notice for collection. I cannot say much more for he moment but things could not be better, droppings like marbles what more could we ask for.

Please note Leon will update the ring list every 3 days as he is away at the moment on business.

10th March

Hi, well fanciers we had another good day at the Who Dares Wins, the older birds were out again just flicking around and showing off, we had al the birds on the top of the loft when bang something startled them and up they got the birds were all over the skies but the good news is all are present and correct plus tucked up for the night, we did not see any hawk’s but you know youngsters they have a mind of their own, we got the last pigeon in at 3.00pm this beautiful dark chequer belongs to J&R Tweets two really lovely people from Congleton Cheshire, we shouldn’t lose this one it flew and flew, coming back for a look and then off over the field again, the Orange and Green squad were again put through the traps and again all are taking to our system well, dropping’s in all section’s are the way we would want them, weather forecast tomorrow not so good with gale force winds and rain sweeping through by early afternoon, we will try and get the older birds out but no chances will be taken, the younger ones however will again continue with their education.

9th March

I was out and about at 7.00pm putting the ETS back into circuit, It has been a really cold day to-day but we assigned 70 birds and then crated them up, took them down the field and released them, after what happened last year it was heart in the mouth time but all performed as they should so that is stage 2 of their education sorted, the Orange and Green team were again put through the traps most are really pulling to get into the loft just as they should be, I hope the orange team took notice of the No colour team and noted how it should be done because next week it’s their turn, we have quite a few pick ups booked in for this week from all over the UK so Rob is going to be busy sorting out the routes etc. Annette has been filling in the transfer forms we have to date and it is quite sickening thinking of the cost, if say a syndicate of just 3 birds are from different fanciers then we have to pay £2.00 for each transfer, I think we have accounted that £500 will be required just for the transfer of birds, it’s a shame something could not be sorted for One Loft Races because this money could be added to the Prize Fund, thats all for now, Good Day to-day quite happy now its time for a pint and watch the football.

8th March

Hi, we now have 134 birds in the loft with more booked in for the coming week, however please can I ask the you give G&R Couriers more notice, Rob is having fanciers telephoning from different parts of the UK saying that their birds are ready expecting a next day pick up, this is not always possible so please give and estimated week’s notice, after all its free pick a weeks notice is not too much to ask.

Well we again had the older ones out to-day but I think Annette was a little heavy with the corn tin yesterday afternoon, I was stood out for 5 hours getting the birds in, plus it decided to poor it down with rain so I ended up wet through, I told Annette not to bother doing me any dinner so she brought me some sandwiches and a hot drink down the field, we will not leave the loft whilst birds are sat on top of it, Mrs Sparrow Hawk would have a field day, the older youngsters will go out daily now weather permitting, what we have done is put coloured split rings on new entrants so for e.g last week it was Orange, this week its Green, the older birds have no split rings, next week it will be Red but then the Orange section will have their split rings removed and they will move up a section and go out Daily, yes its time consuming but we have to do things the right way, education is paramount.

6th March

Well not a great deal to report, more birds arrived to-day all picked up again free of any charges by G&R Couriers the birds were all vaccinated and given a magic pill, we now have 118 in the loft, we were all set for stage 2 of the older youngsters education but unfortunately the wind was a little to strong so we decided to postpone until Sunday, the younger birds were again put through the trapping system and are adapting well to the cane, after completing my tasks in the loft I gave Rob a hand fitting a ventilation spinner in his new van, Rob run’s G&R Couriers the way a courier business should be run all his vans have Air Conditioning and are defra approved, no birds are picked up in cars or passed onto car drivers.

5th March

Hi, we have had a few more birds arrive to-day and I must say all were in top order, there were some real crackers, we now have 111 in the loft and I have to say that most of the youngsters which have come to the loft were a a perfect age between 25 and 30 days we have had a few younger ones but they have come through O.K, we have continued with the birds education and all is going well, the forecast is for a good day weather wise tomorrow so the older ones will have there first fly out of the racing crates this is a big test so let’s see. I have spoken to quite a few fanciers and it appears that the sparrow hawk is really in full swing this is bad news for everyone, we never leave the loft when the birds are out but I remember when we raced at the old house a sparrow hawk hen struck whilst we were stood no more than 6 feet away, it is sickening I know but i don’t see things changing we just have to get one with the job in hand, I will update tomorrow if we have more news.

4th March

Hi, well a dry day to-day but a very cold and at times blustery wind, we had a fancier from Barnsley bring along the remaining 4 birds of the two teams he has entered, it was some 2 week’s ago he bought down his first two, to quote what he said. ” Well i thought my youngsters looked well until I saw these from the 92 in the loft there is not a bad one” this is credit to all who have sent us some super birds, we have continued with the education and all are taking to our method’s quite well, we don’t like wild pigeon,s the birds must be happy and content they will then be calm and not nervous, we will continue to work hard and then hopefully they will be as tame as last years were. I went down to the loft around 5.30pm and we are in for a cold night, not one pigeon was in the aviary all had gone inside to roost, I spent around 10 minutes in the loft with them just talking and stroking the odd one or two most are now becoming to know it’s treat time yes they get a little something every night.

Rob was telling me to get ready for the rush, the phone has been pretty busy with fancier’s putting order’s for their youngster’s to be picked up, remember G&R Couriers are picking up for FREE it can’t get much better, on the courier side he said the Scottish fanciers are now starting to see were they can get real value for money, Rob said he has had two run’s up to Scotland in the last 5 days including as far as Aberdeen, mind after he told me that a fancier rang and said he had been quoted £90 delivery to Aberdeen for a pigeon he had purchased from a well known Auction site I could not believe it, also he was told it would be 3 to 4 days before delivery, at that price it should have Gold rings and a bow tide around it, G&R Couriers do the same job for £40.00 enough said.

2nd March

Well what a day the weather has been a mixed bag, Sleet, Snow, Sunshine but a terribly cold strong wind, mind we have seen the mad March Hares on our lawn this afternoon, again to-day more birds have arrived we now have 88 in the loft, Leon updated the ring list last night, I have again sent him the new ring list he will update ASAP, again what’s set’s this race aside again from any other is all 88 of the birds iare activated we don’t have reserve’s this for me is the way forward, what we have promised is that if anyone was unfortunate to lose all there entries then you get a free entry in 2016, last year any syndicate which lost birds got a venture bird of their choice for free, I can’t see any other One Loft race in England doing this can you ? remember we entered One Loft Races for many year so we understand the up’s and down’s that’s why we intend to give you value for money.

Now onto another subject, I have been again pestered if you like by someone which I won’t name asking why we did not have a yearling race, so again I will repeat myself, its simple we would not have time to do the job right, we all know that to race yearling’s and get the best out of them then you must race them on Widowhood that’s if you know how too! so that would mean 45 minutes cocks out, 45 minutes hens out, morning and afternoon or train in the afternoon so to my reckoning that;s about 5 hour’s of the day gone, with a loft full of youngsters say only 500 birds were would we find the time to give your youngsters what they deserve remember YOU are paying for a service, now on the other hand if we wanted to pretend then we could leave the yearling’s together which would mean hen’s going to races in egg we all know 99% won’t return, next is the exercise well we could just leave them an open loft we all know then what happen’s the birds go fielding sitting in tree’s and drinking stagnant water a recipe for loft disease, but most of all Prize Money if for e.g we had 100 yearling’s how much do you think you should be racing for at say £150 per bird activation, we must remember and not kid ourselves we all enter One Loft Races because the cash prize far out weigh’s any amount you can win at club level, I now hope no-one else will ask me about a yearling race.

Remember Who Dares Wins Gary,Annette & Rob

1st March

Hi everyone, more birds have arrived over the weekend, we now have 80 in the loft and I hope to be able to up date the ring list soon, Leon is still working on things and I myself cannot access what is needed for me to up date the list, now for the birds, all is O.K I was hoping to move 40 onto stage 2 of their education but due to poor weather but more so strong winds we have decided to hang fire there is no rush, if the wind drops tomorrow then I will assess what’s next, I have to say we are very happy to date with the health of the youngsters it must be the new magic tablet they all have been given upon arrival, many have asked what is it well its magic, it surprising what you come across on the continent, I think enough said, I will update tomorrow if we have any more fresh news.

Remember Who Dares Wins

Gary,Annette & Rob

Return to “Who Dares Wins - One Loft Race”