Going back in time -

New scribe to cover Northern Ireland, all the news reports here plus all the info on his Charity Sales.
willie reynolds

Going back in time -

Post by willie reynolds »

Going back in time...

Peaceful, Tranquil and very relaxing is just how i would describe our lovely few days away to the Townland of Birr in Co.offaly. Just under 4 hours of a lovely drive, on the outskirts of Dublin, heading through the main roads with lovely surroundings and sites passing through some little villages and finally arriving in the very welcoming town of Birr, after unpacking and refreshing, myself and my good lady Elaine headed off down town for a stroll, exploring the sites and sounds of the little town with a big heart had to offer. After our nice stroll it was only fair we called into a local restaurant for a bite to eat and sample a few drinks, after finding a place called Spinners, which was recommended to us we were not disappointed at all, the surroundings and welcome we got from the staff not to mention the first class evening meal. After our lovely meal we ventured out into the court yard and sipped on a few drinks while enjoying the lovely weather. After a long drive we both settled for an early nite as we had a busy day planned today (Sunday) for some pigeon business and calling in with Garret Hensey to see his loft set up and handle some of his new bloodlines, he has brought in from top winning lofts within the UK. Garret is new to the sport of pigeon racing with 2009 being his first year racing youngbirds, after quite a few hours of talking to each other it seemed the main topic of what he faces racing every week was the topic of racing north road with the Munster fed to which is resulting in alot of lost pigeons every week, it seems to be every fancier even the main winners within the club lost basically 1/3 of the pigeons they sent every week. After 3 races he told me he has already lost between 20-30 pigeons to which i was gobsmacked as alot of fanciers dont even keep that amount of pigeons in my own area and after 3 weeks their season would be over for them before it really started. With being a local busy taxi driver Garret finds it hard getting the time for his pigeons to race the likes of widowhood or roundabout so has to settle for the natural system and let the pigeons come and go as they please. Garret has his goals set for the longer distance with the hope of clocking from the scottish nationals he takes part in so he is hoping the pigeons bond well to their partners, their boxes and enjoy the comforts of their home, being the main reason they will fight through the weather and wind conditions plus having the heart to get home and be successful for him one day. Like most fanciers Garret is still learning the sport of pigeon racing and im sure one day with the drive and motivation he has to succeed he will achieve his goals. I would like to take this chance to thank Garret and his good lady Aoife for their hospitality and great welcome they gave us on arrival, we look forward to meeting up with you this year in Blackpool if not before it, and wish you all the best for the rest of the racing season...

"Flying start with Ross Kelly"

Return to “"Flying Start with Ross Kelly"”