AGM Lisburn - 27/02/16

It was in 1932 that His Majesty King George V presented a new cup to the Irish National Flying Club to be known as The King George V Challenge Cup and was to be awarded to the winner of the OB Grand National.

The 1932 Grand National race was flown from Les Sables at a distance of some 600 miles and the race was won by R Hawthorn from Ligoniel in North Belfast.This race was flown under IHU rules and it was not until 1948 that the Kings Cup was flown under IHU and RPRA rules.The race in 1948 was won by Sammy Robinson from Belfast.

The Irish National Flying Club have a six race programme for the 2020 season which enables its members to compete in the inland Nationals or over the channel at the very highest level. I hope you will enjoy using the website as it will be a source of information through out the season. Good luck to all members competing in this years Nationals. Ronnie Johnston Patron INFC.

The INFC has 2,100 members across Ireland. The 6 Race Programme includes the famous Kings Cup from France. Friendship Nat is also France, Ylr Nat Sennen Cove, YB Nat Penzance and OB and YB Nat from Skibbereen. Numerous other awards including Gold Medal, Hall of Fame Diploma, Triple Championship, Single Bird Challenge, 3 Bird Championship, Merit Awards etc. Results, Reports, Latest News etc. See Website http://www.irishnationalflyingclub.com or http://www.infc.co.uk
willie reynolds

AGM Lisburn - 27/02/16

Post by willie reynolds »

The INFC Annual Meeting will take place on Saturday 27th February. Ronnie Johnston has tendered his resignation as Patron. Please note the final date for joining this year has been brought forward to 12th April, don’t miss it! Individual Application forms are available to download from website http://www.infc.co.uk

Report to follow and AGM Review by Ronnie Johnston.

The Irish National Flying Club AGM will be held on Saturday 27th February in the Lagan Valley Leisure Centre in Lisburn at 2.00pm sharp. The membership will have received the accounts and balance for 2015, the club is in a very healthy position on the financial side. 2015 was a good year for the INFC with all cups and trophies won, the annual dinner was well attended and enjoyed by all. The agenda is very light and I can see the turn-out of members being low when in fact it should be the exact opposite. The General Committee are always interested in getting the opinion of the membership on the way forward for the club.

I have had the honour of being President and Patron of this great National Club and I believe without this club offering its membership exciting National racing with an array of cups diplomas and special awards to be won the number of fanciers would show a sharp decline. The balance sheet is very strong and I would like to see a special amount set aside for special prizes in the coming season. In 2015 the General Committee decided to allocate some £6,000 split over the 6 race programme – 10 prizes of £100 each -, single bird – free nom. I know several fanciers who won one of these prizes and they were more than delighted. The scheme was run along the same lines as the Kings Cup Single Bird Challenge and puts all fanciers competing on the same level – one bird per loft.

When on the Kings Cup Grand National for Old Birds would the committee perhaps consider a Single Bird Challenge for the Young Bird Penzance Grand National. Last year 766 members sent to the 2015 Kings Cup and yet only 542 entered the Single Bird Challenge, a free nomination. That’s over 200 members missing out! Trevor Topping has the Single Bird entry form now out to all members and they need to be returned to David Black by 17th March, it’s a great competition and I was more that impressed with last year’s result – 15 prizes were on offer and all the 15 prize-winners were in the Open Result. That’s a great selection on the owners part – with another £500 sponsored by the INFC we could go to 20 prizes for 2016. The club has the funds!

Fanciers will suggest the club reduce birdage for all races and again it has draw-backs, the fancier sending one bird will save a £1 but the fancier who can send 20 will save £20. With a membership fee of £15 I doubt if any other National Club has provided more exciting special prizes and awards for its membership which still stands at over 2,000.

The agenda is light for 2016 but the General Committee have two very important new rules to be discussed and hopefully passed. New Rule: Annual Subscriptions must be paid and returned by 12th April – No Application will be considered after 12th April. New Rule: When more than one application for membership is received from the same address, each applicant to submit evidence they have their own separate loft and timing system. All applications in this category, to be made direct to the Management Committee, in writing.

The opening race for the INFC will be the Skibbereen Inland OB Nat on Tuesday 24th May – race marking Monday 23rd. Full race dates are.

Skibbereen Old Bird - Tue 24th May - Mark Mon 23rd May. Sennen Cove Yearling - Wed 8th June - Mark Mon 6th June. St Allouestre Kings Cup - Frid 1st July - Mark Tue 28th June. Quimper Friendship - Frid 8th July - Mark Tue 5th July. Penzance YB - Wed 7th Sept - Mark Mon 5th Sept. Skibbereen YB - Sat 17th Sept - Mark Thur 15th Sept. Ronnie Johnston INFC Patron.
rid 1st July - Mark Tue 28th June. Quimper Friendship - Frid 8th July - Mark Tue 5th July. Penzance YB - Wed 7th Sept - Mark Mon 5th Sept. Skibbereen YB - Sat 17th Sept - Mark Thur 15th Sept. Ronnie Johnston INFC Patron.
willie reynolds

Re: AGM Lisburn - 27/02/16

IRISH NATIONAL FLYING CLUB 2016 AGM

The 66th AGM of the Irish National Flying Club was held in the Lagan Valley Leisure Plex on Saturday, 27th February. The attendance was slightly up on last year and the President, Eugene Fitzgerald, after accepting a few apologies asked the members to stand for a minute’s silence in respect for those members who had died during the past year. He paid tribute in particular to the following who had been great supporters of the Irish National Flying Club, Andy McFarland and Norman Black and all others who passed away in the past year.

The secretary Trevor Topping was invited to read the minutes of the previous AGM which were passed on a show of hands. The Convoyer’s race reports were on the table and available to the members. There were no questions raised in respect of the reports. The Secretary then gave his report.

Secretary’s Report for the 2015 season.

“Firstly I wish to thank on behalf of the members the following sponsors for the 2015 season Bamford’s Top Flight, Frazers Animal Feeds., H. Beattie & Son, Bucktons, Veterinary Services for Birds and Sawyers & Co. Estate Agents. Thanks also to the British Homing World who give a discount on the publishing rates for all results.
The sponsorship prizes are greatly appreciated by the club members.
The 2015 season will long be remembered for the fastest race in living memory from France on 10th July from Quimper. The winning pigeon in the King’s Cup race for H. & C. Thorpe Boyne Valley from St. Allouestre also recorded a record breaking velocity. The other races were mixed with a strong head wind making Penzance Y.B. a very testing race.
I congratulate all national winners and prize winners.

Ronnie Johnston once again arranged the annual dinner in November to a very high standard and many compliments have been received. On behalf of all the members a big thank you Ronnie.
I wish to thank the committees of the East Down Combine and Ulster Federation for assistance with transport during the 2015 season along with Paddy Cullen. On behalf of all club members I thank all of the committee members and members who helped at the race markings, clock settings, checking’s and race controllers. Thanks also to Jim, Vincent and Brian McCrory for all their assistance without all this help the club would not function.
I also thank the officials, the committee members, press officers, clock station officials and any other members who helped me during the past season your help is appreciated.
The 2016 season is fast approaching and I appeal for help at the marking centre if only for a few hours as those members of the committee who faithfully attend the race marking are struggling to cope.
I wish the outgoing president Mr E.Fitzgerald every success in the future and thank him for all his help during his term as chairman and president.
To all those who will be elected to office later in the meeting I wish them well for 2016 and please remember high standards are expected at all times.
I hope we all have a successful 2016 season.”

Annual Accounts: No questions had been asked prior to the meeting regarding the annual accounts and in the Auditor Ron McKelvey’s absence, the secretary read the Auditors report
He highlighted that 2015 was a record year in many respects for the club. Monies paid out to the membership amounted to a massive £133,698 and birds entered in the six races was 20,451. The Irish National Flying Clubs accounts were in a very healthy state and the committee were able to give back to the members £5.800 as free nominations across the 6 races as well as £2000 for the Single Bird Challenge from the King’s Cup. The Auditor thanked Trevor and David for their assistance in the preparation of the accounts.

Election of Officers: All offices were declared vacant and new President David Black conducted the election. There were some changes at the top as the President, Senior Vice President and Junior Vice President had all completed their third year of a three year term in office. Eugene Fitzgerald was elevated to a Life Vice President.

Officers for 2016 are: Patron Ronnie Johnston, President David Black, Senior Vice-President Clifford Browne, Junior Vice-President Wesley Sawyers, Chairman Clifford Browne, Secretary and treasurer to be confirmed at the next committee meeting, Auditor Ron McKelvey, Press Officer Brendan McLoughlin.

INFC Management Committee 2016: RPRA representatives: G McDowell Kells, G Delaney Dromore, W Reynolds Ballymena, P Dunlop Edgarstown, C O’Hare Ballyholland, R Stevenson Dromara, J Serplus, Laurelvale, P Smith Dublin, K Shannon, Dungannon, R Duddy, Ballyclare, A Thompson Ballyclare, C Lyons Hillsborough & Maze, D Suitters Doagh, T Griffith Eastway, E McGimpsey Ards; INFC Appeals Committee: W Knowles Kingsmoss, J Burrows Eastway, W Kelly St Pauls:

IHU representatives: L McCavery Annalong, B McLoughlin Annalong, G Gaw, East End, T Marshall Newtownbreda, B Marshall Newtownbreda, A Milliken Lagan Valley, M Irvine Tyrella, T O’Reilly Andersonstown, R Taylor Shankill, R Trimble Ballynahinch, F Gilmore Comber, P McKeown Dundalk, B O’Leary Cork, D Coleman Castlebellingham, J Prenter Sallynoggin; INFC Appeals Committee representatives: J Albert Ballylesson, H Patton East End, M Roche Blanchardstown.

Race Advisers: To be appointed at the next committee meeting.

Motions: There were 2 motions before the meeting.
1. To replace present rule 21 with “Annual subscriptions must be paid and returned before 12th April each year. No applications will be considered after 12th April. New member’s £10 joining fee plus annual subscription. Any member paying his/her subscription individually will incur a £5 charge to cover administration and postage costs” Passed
2. New rule: “When more than one application for membership is received from an address, each applicant to submit evidence that they have their own separate loft, unique loft location and race distances, the management committee or its appointed agent to inspect any address from which multiple applications are received to verify each application has its own loft and separate timing system, before any application will be accepted from that address. Al applications in this category to be made to the management committee in writing” Passed

INFC Charity Show report: Samuel Briggs, the Show secretary was unable to attend the AGM as he was in Coventry on RPRA but submitted the INFC Charity Show report in writing. There were 24 trade stands in attendance and the numbers attending were up on the previous year. Samuel thanked Helen and Bertie Marshall for the work they do with the raffle which saw an increase from 2015. The Charity Auction saw £6,525 raised for 36 pigeons. He thanked all who had helped in any way to make the Show a success. The Show supports local charities and £8,500 was presented to various charities at the Merit Award night in January. The 2016 Show will be held on Saturday 3rd December.

INFC Race programme 2016: Skibbereen Old Bird Inland National Tuesday 24th May; Sennen Cove Yearling National Wednesday 8th June; Grand National Kings Cup St Allouestre Friday 1st July; Friendship National Quimper Friday 8th July; Penzance Young Bird National Wednesday 7th September; Skibbereen Young Bird National Saturday 17th September:

The next committee meeting will be held in Lisburn & District HPS on Tuesday 15th March at 7.30pm.

Brendan McLoughlin
INFC Press Officer
willie reynolds

Re: AGM Lisburn - 27/02/16

BHW 25/03/16 Page 41

The AGM of the Irish National Flying Club was held recently in Lisburn. Clifford Browne of Bangor is the new Chairman and he will serve a three year term. Clifford is a former INFC Press Officer and Press Officer for East Down Combine. This is a fancier who is held in high regard by all who have worked with him and he will be a great asset to the INFC. The main officials were all re-elected and the financial statement showed the club to be in a very strong position.
I have been writing a column on pigeon matters for some 50 years, a long time, and I have held strong views on many subjects. But they are not always what the majority thinks. As Patron of the INFC my views are not always those of the officials and the general committee, we call it free speech.

I am keenly interested in horse racing and take all the major publications of the horse racing world, they too are suffering a decline in owners, but the numbers will come back as it was the financial turndown in 2008 that caused the problem. As the economy improves more people will go racing. However it is not the same with pigeon racing as the members we lose every year are not being replaced with new blood.

The AGM of the RPRA was held recently in Coventry and the club numbers from the Regions saw 12 out of 19 show a decrease year on year. The Irish Region Clubs for 2014 – 108, 2015 – 98 and I hope 2016 will not show another decrease.
The long drawn out appeal for Speirs & Campbell v NIPA has finally been settled, it was the majority decision of Council that the appeal be allowed and Speirs & Campbell are the winners of 1st Sect & 1st Open NIPA Old Bird National. Speirs & Campbell are one of Ireland’s longest serving partnerships and very popular.

The Irish National Flying Club is very important to many fanciers in Ireland and they can play a big part in keeping a lot of fanciers in pigeons.

The Midland National Flying Club is very forward thinking and in 2016 are using their transporters for training, plus a new One Loft Race. The INFC will not be running as One Loft Race as we have a very well established one in Coleraine, but there are many other ways the INFC can give back awards to its membership.

The auditor remarked in his report that the loss for the 2015 season was mainly down to the free nominations. I was responsible for these nominations and I see them as very important in creating interest and recycling money back to the membership. The club has £50,000 invested and this sum should see the future of the INFC safeguarded for many years.

One of the most exciting competitions in the National programme is the Single Bird Challenge flown from the Kings Cup. In 2015 the prize fund was £2,000 split into 15 prizes with a 1st prize of £500, the nomination is free! In 2015 the general committee introduced a Single Bird Free Nomination allocating £1,000 to each National split into 10 prizes of £100. It was a very well received idea and the feedback has been very positive. A member of the INFC who won a £100 prize told me it was the most exciting moment of his whole season and that’s what it means to many fanciers – a National prize. I hope it will stay in place for 2016.

I have always been in favour of any item received from a member being put on the agenda and discussed at the AGM. This year Joe Brown had an item that he asked should be on the agenda. No more than 15 birds in a hamper in all National Races. The committee decided that it should not go on the agenda, the reason given was that the number of pigeons per crate must comply with current legislation and as the INFC used different transporters for its National Races, the numbers will vary from race to race. Let me assure the membership that the pigeons are not overcrowded, as I spend all my time behind the baskets and we have a counter on each basket.

I like to see items sent to the Secretary to go on the agenda because it lets those attending hear the reason why the committee have turned it down. Mr Wesley Sawyers was of the opinion that the Kings Cup Race should be around 600 miles to the longest flying members and he would contact the RPRA to find a suitable site with a view to offering the members a choice for the 2017 season.

The INFC Committee may look at running a Single Bird Nomination for the Penzance YB Grand National, a Free Nom with £2,000 prize money. The General Committee is made up of 15 members from the RPRA and 15 members from the IHU, from those 30 members it should not be difficult to get a member to take on the task.

The opening race for the 2016 programme is not far away now, Saturday 9th April and I hope the weather will be kind to us. Ronnie Johnston “Irish Rover”.

Return to “Irish National Flying Club”