AGM in Glenavy 11/02/17 -

The NIPA was founded in 1945 and it's membership was open to all members within Northern Ireland - We are one of the largest weekly convoying organisations in the UK. Presently we have approx. 100 clubs as members, with over 2,000 members. Birds competing each week can reach 25 to 30 thousand, depending on the race. The race programme starts in Ireland down to Rosscarbery and continues through Wales & England to Penzance, and the Premier OB Nat flown from St Malo (France).
willie reynolds

AGM in Glenavy 11/02/17 -

Post by willie reynolds »

The 72nd Annual General Meeting for the NIPA will take place in the Protestant Hall, Glenavy, on Saturday 11th February commencing at 2.00pm sharp. It should be noted that only Delegates can vote or enter into the business of the meeting. Official Delegate Cards will be required in the recording of votes, and no discussion on Resolutions. Note: All Clubs must hold a meeting on the Resolutions and mandate their Delegate(s) on how to cast their vote and a letter of confirmation that each Delegate(s) club had held a club meeting to vote on Resolutions being produced at the AGM.

Just 5 Resolutions have been listed on the agenda

Resolution 1 Submitted by Delegates and Clubs of Section F. All Section F members pigeons in National & Championship races be race marked at One Centre (Killyleagh).
Resolution 2 Submitted by Derry & District. That the NIPA for 2017 season old and young birds move from Talbenny in Wales to a more inland race point in Wales (ie. Flos Las a horse racing track).
Resolution 3 Submitted by Derry & District. That for the NIPA 2017 race season old and young bird races move from Rosscarbery to Skibbereen.
Resolution 4 Submitted by the Section C Delegates. In Channel Races the NIPA only transport pigeons from within the NIPA Boundaries.
Resolution 5 Submitted by Ligoniel HPS. Delete NIPA Rule 34 and replace with a new Rule 34. That all clubs must ensure that there are members from at least 5 Competing Lofts present before race marking commences and throughout the Race Marking procedure. That all Club’s whose membership falls to less than 5 Competing Lofts can ring their birds and set their own clocks but will not be allowed to compete for NIPA Open & Section positions. That all clubs with less than 5 Competing Lofts can go to another club for race marking to compete for NIPA honours.

NIPA Secretary Report 2017 –
I have just come from a meeting with the General Transport & Finance Committee members at which I presented them with their Financial Statements for the 2016 season. A copy of which should now be in your procession.
They are to me personally the worst set of Accounts I have submitted to you in all my 39 years as Secretary.

It is quite clear to anyone the income is outstripped by the expenditure and the total loss for the year stands at £27,608.43 and if nothing is done to try and balance the accounts the deficit will only get higher. I have to ask you if this is acceptable, if action is not taken next year’s loss will be greater and the following year even greater and in 3 years you will have lost £100,000. The present situation cannot be allowed to continue.

All year I have been warning the Committee and also many members of the NIPA the state of the Accounts for 2016, but to no avail. Nothing was being done to try and balance the Accounts.

Personally I believe there is an attitude out there to spend, spend, spend and leave the Organisation with next to nothing for the future. Since 1945 many members have been responsible in building our Organisation and making it one of the best in the British Isles.

The future does look bleak for Pigeon Racing, there is no doubt of this and there will be many changes within the next decade. In 10 year’s time, I believe we will not recognise our sport as it is today, it will have changed dramatically. Much less membership, many clubs having to amalgamate, maybe many more One Loft races. Changes will have to be embraced and some of these will be difficult to accept.

Surely this generation of Pigeon Fanciers will not go down in history as the one that let our sport down. Count yourselves fortunate that your Organisation is still in a relatively strong position financially, but in has been dented.

Your Accounts show that the NIPA Capital in 2015 stood at £614,863.79 and at the end of 2016 it is down to £590,080.54, quite a drop. This amount is not all cash as many believe£133,744.88 is the value of your Fixed Assets and your cash in the various Bank Accounts is approximately £546,335.66. Still very healthy and thankfully it is there if an emergency arises.

If a Transporter or two needs replacing in the future, you could spend up to £300,000 and at the moment a trailer which is approx. 16 years old is being completely re-furbished at a cost of at least £10,000 to £12,000. Some of your fleet of transporters are getting very old and money will have to be spent on them.

I have been asked by many of you if Membership Fees and Crate charges will rise, they need to but will your Committee implement any rises, I simply do not know. Last year I asked them for a £1.00 rise in Membership Fee to alleviate the loss of revenue of 60 members at £22.00 each which calculates at £1,320. When this request was put to them, they turned down my request for a £1.00 per member for the year by 19 votes to 1. A very low point in my time as Secretary and I had to wrestle with myself, should I go or stay as your Financial Secretary a position I have been privileged to hold for 38 years. I decided to carry on and I am sure there are some would say it is time to go maybe!

Your Committee has to make cuts in expenditure to save money and this is something they are currently working on, any changes will always be difficult, but changes will have to happen slowly.

2017 will be a very difficult year for everyone, price rises are certain, wages may stay the same, and inflation will continue to rise along with possible Bank Interest, any rise in Bank Interest would generate a small windfall with the cash on deposit.

It is now 7 or 8 years since we raised our Transporter Fees and I believe a modest rise should have been introduced last year but it was not. If a £1 rise had been implemented I believe our loss in the Transporter Account would have been as low as £2,000. Fuel seems to be rising and it is estimated to be 1/3 higher this year and this possibly will mean an increase of around £10,000, Insurance will be 3% higher, there is an increase in Freight Charges to cross channel races. We will have to keep a very tight rein on Tyres, Crate Repairs – something you as members could assist if you see crates being handled incorrectly by anyone, including our employees please report it to me. Also we will have to keep an eye on Maintenance & Parts, but this is one area you will not be able to do a lot about. You are aware in this day and age Transporters must be kept up to the mark.

To cover all this extra costs Transport Charges should rise by £1.00 in Irish Races and £2.00 in channel races. I have no idea if your Committee will agree, time will tell.

Membership Fees should have risen by £1.00 last year, we lost 60 members last year and probably 60 to 80 this year. Membership Fees should rise this year by £2.00 per member this will only make a small dent in the deficit. Costs on the Expenditure will have to be reduced. Expenditure will have to be reduced in all expenses. There will have to be cut backs to bring this deficit under control.

You also have copies of Proposed Race Programmes and I would like your votes returned to me on or before the AGM. I cannot advise you on how to use your vote, but I think I must remind you when we moved Inland in Wales the results were very poor, remember Carmarthen, remember Swansea, but you must make the decision.

You will also have received the Resolutions for the AGM, again it is up to you to use your vote wisely. As your Financial Secretary I must advise if you agree with Resolution 4 it will have severe implications on your finances. I point out once again use your vote as you see it, do not be influenced by me.

My Report is coming to an end and I must take this opportunity to thank everyone of you who assisted us in the running of the NIPA in 2016 and hope that 2017 proves to be an excellent years racing. Regards F Russell, Secretary NIPA.

NIPA Proposed OB race programmes for 2017 – Approved at Committee Meeting 04/01/17 to put out to member clubs for voting, adjustment had to be made to No 1 Programme, a typing error.

Old Bird Race Programme – No 1 – (Last year’s programme)
8th April Mullingar, 15th April Tullamore, 22nd April Roscrea, 29th April Fermoy, 6th May Fermoy, 13th May Rosscarbery Inl Nat, 13th May Roscrea Comeback, 20th May Talbenny (1), 27th May Talbenny (2), 27th May Fermoy 5 Bird Championship, 3rd June New Bude, 3rd June Rosscarbery Ylr Hen & Cock Nationals, 10th June Penzance, 10th June Fermoy, 17th June Penzance Classic, 17th June Fermoy Comeback, 23rd June St Malo.

Old Bird Race Programme – No 2 – Submitted by Newry & Dist
8th April Tullamore, 15th April Roscrea, 22nd April Corrin, 29th April Corrin, 6th May Pilmore Beach, 13th May Rosscarbery Inl Nat, 13th May Fermoy, 20th May Talbenny (1), 27th May Talbenny (2), 27th May Fermoy 5 Bird Championship, 3rd June Bude, 3rd June Rosscarbery Ylr Hen/Cock Nationals, 10th June Penzance & Penzance Classic, 17th June Pilmore Beach, 23rd June St Malo.

Old Bird Race Programme – No 3 – Submitted by NIPA Committee
8th April Mullingar, 15th April Tullamore, 22nd April Gowran Park, 29th April Fermoy, 6th May Corrin, 13th May Rosscarbery Inl Nat, 13th May Gowran Park, 20th May Flos Las (South Wales), 27th May Flos Las (2), 27th May Fermoy 5 Bird, 3rd June Bude, 3rd June Rosscarbery Ylr Hen/Cock Nationals, 10th June Penzance, 10th June Fermoy, 17th June Penzance Classic, 17th June Fermoy, 23rd June St Malo.

NIPA Proposed YB race programmes for 2017 –

Young Bird Race Programme – No 4 – (Last year’s programme)
15th July Area Liberations, 22nd July Area Liberations, 29th July Tullamore (Mass Lib), 5th August Roscrea, 12th August Gowran Park, 19th August Fermoy, 26th August Talbenny Nat, 26th August Roscrea Comeback, 2nd September Fermoy & Fermoy 5 Bird Championship, 9th September Rosscarbery Inl Nat.

Young Bird Race Programme – No 5 – Submitted by Newry & Dist
15th July Split Lib – Top Half Mullingar/Bottom Half Tullamore, 22nd July Split Lib – Top Half Tullamore/Botton Half Roscrea, 29th July Roscrea (Mass Lib), 5th August Gowran Park, 12th August Corrin, 19th August Corrin, 26th August Talbenny Nat, 26th August Roscrea Comeback, 3rd September Fermoy & Fermoy 5 Bird Championship, 9th September Rosscarbery Inl Nat.

Young Bird Race Programme – No 6 – Submitted by NIPA Committee
15th July Top Half Mullingar/Botton Half Tullamore, 22nd July Top Half Tullamore/Bottom Half Roscrea, 29th July Roscrea (Mass Lib), 5th August Gowran Park, 12th August Gowran Park, 19th August Fermoy, 26th August Flos Las Nat (South Wales), 26th August Gowran Park, 2nd September Fermoy & Fermoy 5 Bird Championship, 9th September Rosscarbery Inl Nat.

Voting Papers to be returned to NIPA Secretary Fred Russell, 108 Hillsborough Road, Dromore, Co Down BT25 1QW - on or before the 2017 AGM Meeting.
willie reynolds

Re: AGM in Glenavy 11/02/17 -

The 72nd Annual General Meeting for the NIPA took place in the Protestant Hall, Glenavy, on Saturday 11th February commencing at 2.00pm sharp. More detailed report to follow.

As usual the votes were counted for the season’s race programmes just at the start and for old birds following the withdrawal of Programme No 1 and No 3 that just left the one Race Programme No 2 submitted by Newry & Dist.
8th April Tullamore, 15th April Roscrea, 22nd April Corrin, 29th April Corrin, 6th May Pilmore Beach, 13th May Rosscarbery Inl Nat, 13th May Fermoy, 20th May Talbenny (1), 27th May Talbenny (2), 27th May Fermoy 5 Bird Championship, 3rd June Bude, 3rd June Rosscarbery Ylr Hen/Cock Nationals, 10th June Penzance & Penzance Classic, 17th June Pilmore Beach, 23rd June St Malo.

The Penzance site is not available from 4th – 10th June it will either have to be a change of race point or change around the races for 10th and 17th June.

Voting for the young birds saw almost 500 votes cast for Race Programme 4 which was the one flown in 2016. This had more votes than the other two put together.

Young Bird Race Programme No 4 – (Last year’s programme)

15th July Area Liberations, 22nd July Area Liberations, 29th July Tullamore (Mass Lib), 5th August Roscrea, 12th August Gowran Park, 19th August Fermoy, 26th August Talbenny Nat, 26th August Roscrea Comeback, 2nd September Fermoy & Fermoy 5 Bird Championship, 9th September Rosscarbery Inl Nat.

For the election of officers for 2017 the out-going Chairman Alan Darragh indicated he would not be putting his name forward for re-election. Ken Wilkinson was elected to fill that position.

Just 5 Resolutions have been listed on the agenda – voting as follows

Resolution 1 Submitted by Delegates and Clubs of Section F. All Section F members pigeons in National & Championship races be race marked at One Centre (Killyleagh). Ruled Out of Order.

Resolution 2 Submitted by Derry & District. That the NIPA for 2017 season old and young birds move from Talbenny in Wales to a more inland race point in Wales (ie. Flos Las a horse racing track). Ruled Out of Order.

Resolution 3 Submitted by Derry & District. That for the NIPA 2017 race season old and young bird races move from Rosscarbery to Skibbereen. Ruled Out of Order.

Resolution 4 Submitted by the Section C Delegates. In Channel Races the NIPA only transport pigeons from within the NIPA Boundaries. For 26, Against 47. This was defeated.

Resolution 5 Submitted by Ligoniel HPS. Delete NIPA Rule 34 and replace with a new Rule 34. That all clubs must ensure that there are members from at least 5 Competing Lofts present before race marking commences and throughout the Race Marking procedure. That all Club’s whose membership falls to less than 5 Competing Lofts can ring their birds and set their own clocks but will not be allowed to compete for NIPA Open & Section positions. That all clubs with less than 5 Competing Lofts can go to another club for race marking to compete for NIPA honours. For 42, Against 35. This carried.
willie reynolds

Re: AGM in Glenavy 11/02/17 -

The 72nd Annual General Meeting for the NIPA took place in the Protestant Hall, Glenavy, on Saturday 11th February commencing at 2.00pm sharp.

As usual the votes were counted for the season’s race programmes just at the start and for old birds following the withdrawal of Programme No 1 and No 3 that just left the one Race Programme No 2 submitted by Newry & Dist.

The Penzance site is not available from 4th – 10th June it will either have to be a change of race point or change around the races for 10th and 17th June.

Voting for the young birds saw almost 500 votes cast for Race Programme 4 which was the one flown in 2016. This had more votes than the other two put together.

Young Bird Race Programme No 4 – (Last year’s programme)

Alan Darragh opened the meeting by asking the Delegates to stand and observe a moments silence in respect of deceased members and friends. Some questions were raised from the floor regarding the race programmes put out for voting. He then invited the Secretary Fred Russell to read the minutes of the previous AGM, these were accepted. The Secretary Report was next on the agenda and this was read to the meeting.

I have just come from a meeting with the General Transport & Finance Committee members at which I presented them with their Financial Statements for the 2016 season. A copy of which should now be in your procession.
They are to me personally the worst set of Accounts I have submitted to you in all my 39 years as Secretary.

It is quite clear to anyone the income is outstripped by the expenditure and the total loss for the year stands at £27,608.43 and if nothing is done to try and balance the accounts the deficit will only get higher. I have to ask you if this is acceptable, if action is not taken next year’s loss will be greater and the following year even greater and in 3 years you will have lost £100,000. The present situation cannot be allowed to continue.
All year I have been warning the Committee and also many members of the NIPA the state of the Accounts for 2016, but to no avail. Nothing was being done to try and balance the Accounts.
Personally I believe there is an attitude out there to spend, spend, spend and leave the Organisation with next to nothing for the future. Since 1945 many members have been responsible in building our Organisation and making it one of the best in the British Isles.

The future does look bleak for Pigeon Racing, there is no doubt of this and there will be many changes within the next decade. In 10 year’s time, I believe we will not recognise our sport as it is today, it will have changed dramatically. Much less membership, many clubs having to amalgamate, maybe many more One Loft races. Changes will have to be embraced and some of these will be difficult to accept.

Surely this generation of Pigeon Fanciers will not go down in history as the one that let our sport down. Count yourselves fortunate that your Organisation is still in a relatively strong position financially, but in has been dented.
Your Accounts show that the NIPA Capital in 2015 stood at £614,863.79 and at the end of 2016 it is down to £590,080.54, quite a drop. This amount is not all cash as many believe£133,744.88 is the value of your Fixed Assets and your cash in the various Bank Accounts is approximately £546,335.66. Still very healthy and thankfully it is there if an emergency arises.
If a Transporter or two needs replacing in the future, you could spend up to £300,000 and at the moment a trailer which is approx. 16 years old is being completely re-furbished at a cost of at least £10,000 to £12,000. Some of your fleet of transporters are getting very old and money will have to be spent on them.

I have been asked by many of you if Membership Fees and Crate charges will rise, they need to but will your Committee implement any rises, I simply do not know. Last year I asked them for a £1.00 rise in Membership Fee to alleviate the loss of revenue of 60 members at £22.00 each which calculates at £1,320. When this request was put to them, they turned down my request for a £1.00 per member for the year by 19 votes to 1. A very low point in my time as Secretary and I had to wrestle with myself, should I go or stay as your Financial Secretary a position I have been privileged to hold for 38 years. I decided to carry on and I am sure there are some would say it is time to go maybe!
Your Committee has to make cuts in expenditure to save money and this is something they are currently working on, any changes will always be difficult, but changes will have to happen slowly.

2017 will be a very difficult year for everyone, price rises are certain, wages may stay the same, and inflation will continue to rise along with possible Bank Interest, any rise in Bank Interest would generate a small windfall with the cash on deposit.

It is now 7 or 8 years since we raised our Transporter Fees and I believe a modest rise should have been introduced last year but it was not. If a £1 rise had been implemented I believe our loss in the Transporter Account would have been as low as £2,000. Fuel seems to be rising and it is estimated to be 1/3 higher this year and this possibly will mean an increase of around £10,000, Insurance will be 3% higher, there is an increase in Freight Charges to cross channel races. We will have to keep a very tight rein on Tyres, Crate Repairs – something you as members could assist if you see crates being handled incorrectly by anyone, including our employees please report it to me. Also we will have to keep an eye on Maintenance & Parts, but this is one area you will not be able to do a lot about. You are aware in this day and age Transporters must be kept up to the mark.

To cover all this extra costs Transport Charges should rise by £1.00 in Irish Races and £2.00 in channel races. I have no idea if your Committee will agree, time will tell.
Membership Fees should have risen by £1.00 last year, we lost 60 members last year and probably 60 to 80 this year. Membership Fees should rise this year by £2.00 per member this will only make a small dent in the deficit. Costs on the Expenditure will have to be reduced. Expenditure will have to be reduced in all expenses. There will have to be cut backs to bring this deficit under control.
You also have copies of Proposed Race Programmes and I would like your votes returned to me on or before the AGM. I cannot advise you on how to use your vote, but I think I must remind you when we moved Inland in Wales the results were very poor, remember Carmarthen, remember Swansea, but you must make the decision.

You will also have received the Resolutions for the AGM, again it is up to you to use your vote wisely. As your Financial Secretary I must advise if you agree with Resolution 4 it will have severe implications on your finances. I point out once again use your vote as you see it, do not be influenced by me.

My Report is coming to an end and I must take this opportunity to thank everyone of you who assisted us in the running of the NIPA in 2016 and hope that 2017 proves to be an excellent years racing. Regards F Russell, Secretary NIPA.
The report indicated big problems with the finances of the NIPA and this brought a lot of questions from the floor. A lot of the matters have been addressed at present and more is to be done over coming weeks. It was thought bad races did not help the case starting with the Clonmel race of 3 years ago and then the late liberation in poor conditions from Fermoy last season. Race control will be a big decision for the new committee. The Secretary Report and the Accounts were then accepted.

For the election of officers for 2017 the out-going Chairman Alan Darragh indicated he would not be putting his name forward for re-election. Ken Wilkinson was elected to fill that position. Most of the rest were elected as year previous, President Robert Reid on his second and final year assisted with election and he and the Secretary Fred Russell thanked all for their help in the past year noting the retirement of long time Fleet Supervisor Terry Mulgrew.

There was very little change at the top, most members were returned. Patron L Boyle (Dromore WE), President Robert Reid (Carrick & District) with Sam Briggs (Lisburn & Dist) elected as Senior Vice President for Sect D. Life Vice-Presidents are A McDonnell (Coleraine Prem), L Boyle (Dromore WE), D Carson (Banbridge HPS), M Livingstone (Portadown & Drumcree), O Donnelly (Larne & Dist), J Kelly (Londonderry), H McVeigh (Killyleagh), V Thom (Cookstown), H Boyd (Coalisland) and A Darragh (Cullybackey).

Chairman Ken Wilkinson (New Antrim), Vice Chairman S Thompson (Windsor Social), Financial Secretary F Russell (Dromore WE), Assistant Secretary G McEvoy (Beechpark), Fleet Supervisor Paul Howard (Coleraine), Convoyer filled later, Race Controller filled later. Press Officers W Reynolds (Ballymena & Dist), S McGarry (Horseshoe). RPRA Delegates – C O’Hare (Ballyholland), W Seaton (Ligoniel). Auditors Robinson & Co (Portadown).
The Finance & General Purposes Management Committee were elected, some positions will have to be confirmed at later Sect Meetings. The following were returned.

Sect A – H Boyd (Dungannon), J Hanson (Coleraine Prem). Sect B – K Wilkinson (New Antrim), G Magill (Muckamore), G McDowell (Kells & Dist), K Kernohan (Harryville). Sect C – O Donnelly (Larne & Dist), S McGarry (Horseshoe), W McClelland (Doagh & Dist), D Campbell (Eastway), G Robinson (Carrick Soc). Sect D – J Conlane (Kingswood), A Houston (Lisburn & Dist), J McCready (Lisburn & Dist). Sect E – K Henderson (Lurgan Soc), J Parr (Edgarstown), S Corrigan (Loughgall), D Mawhinney (Beechpark). Sect F – P Murray (Killyleagh), V Pollock (Ards). Sect G – B Durkin (Newry), G Delaney (Ashfield). Sect H – P McLoughlin (Maiden City), D Simpson (Londonderry), J Ramsey (Derry & Dist).

Just 5 Resolutions have been listed on the agenda – voting as follows
Resolution 1 Submitted by Delegates and Clubs of Section F. All Section F members pigeons in National & Championship races be race marked at One Centre (Killyleagh). Ruled Out of Order.
Resolution 2 Submitted by Derry & District. That the NIPA for 2017 season old and young birds move from Talbenny in Wales to a more inland race point in Wales (ie. Flos Las a horse racing track). Ruled Out of Order.
Resolution 3 Submitted by Derry & District. That for the NIPA 2017 race season old and young bird races move from Rosscarbery to Skibbereen. Ruled Out of Order.
Resolution 4 Submitted by the Section C Delegates. In Channel Races the NIPA only transport pigeons from within the NIPA Boundaries. For 26, Against 47. This was defeated.
Resolution 5 Submitted by Ligoniel HPS. Delete NIPA Rule 34 and replace with a new Rule 34. That all clubs must ensure that there are members from at least 5 Competing Lofts present before race marking commences and throughout the Race Marking procedure. That all Club’s whose membership falls to less than 5 Competing Lofts can ring their birds and set their own clocks but will not be allowed to compete for NIPA Open & Section positions. That all clubs with less than 5 Competing Lofts can go to another club for race marking to compete for NIPA honours. For 42, Against 35. This carried.

All those who won awards racing with the Mid Antrim Combine are invited to Ballymena & Dist HPS Clubrooms on Wednesday 22nd February at 8.00pm for the presentation, Cups, Diplomas and sponsored races. Lost in Ballymena Area Cheq (c) NEHU16-SED 2479, contact Tel: 07538 238364.

The AGM of Kells & District HPS will be held in the club rooms on Thurs 16th February at 8.00 pm. The AGM for Harryville HPS will take place in the local clubrooms on Wednesday 15th February at 8.00pm. Ballymena & District HPS held the 2017 Annual General Meeting on Monday 13th February 2017 in the Clubrooms at Fountain Place, Ballymena. All fees to be paid on Monday 20th February in the clubrooms at 8.00pm. Ballymoney HPS fees etc to be paid by 23rd February please.

HOMER. Willie Reynolds
Tel/Fax: (028) 256 44683
Mobile: 07538 238364
Twitter: willie reynolds@homerbhw
Email: reynoldshomer@aol.com
www.pigeonnetwork.com
www.irishnationalflyingclub.com

Return to “Northern Ireland Provincial Amalgamation (NIPA)”