An Englishman, two friends -

John lives in Leicester, United Kingdom and is a local scribe for the BHW. He has recently been selected as PO for the big British International Championship Club in England. He is also on Facebook, see The Pigeon World. E-mail: johnghent@me.com
willie reynolds

An Englishman, two friends -

Post by willie reynolds »

An Englishman, two Friends and a VW Golf, Part 1......

From (l) Eddie McGettigan, Paddy Burns and John Ghent

I’d been waiting for this weekend for a fair old while. Just over two years since our friendship started, Eddie McGettigan were going to meet for the first time. What had started out as search for long distance birds by Eddie and his Uncle John, had now blossomed into almost daily communication between Eddie and I, discussing all the different things that us fanciers chat about! The Internet has its good points and its bad points but for this humble hobby of ours, it is all good as far as I am concerned (minus a few chatrooms that is!). Facebook in particular has been very kind to me, allowing friendships to be cultivated that fanciers of yester-year would not have been able to, yet we are able to undertake with the click of a button on our mobile phone.

So, the Saturday morning alarm rang, my loyal companion on many Blackpool adventures, my Uncle Gaz, knocked on the door to deliver me to East Midlands Airport for my 8:30am flight into Belfast City Airport, named after legendary George Best. When I got through to the boarding gate I was greeted with an aeroplane powered by propellers! I couldn’t believe my eyes if I’m honest, I had never flown internally before and was therefore expecting a small plane, but one at least powered by jet engines, alas it was not to be. Apart from a few turbulent moments on take-off the flight went seamlessly, and as the Northern Irish coastline came into view the excitement in my stomach fluttered up. This was my first real loft visiting tour of any kind. I have done many one-off visits but a weekend filled with top quality fanciers lay ahead of me and I was like a kid in a sweet shop. I kept reminding myself that I must take enough photos and make plenty of notes, I wanted these articles to be special, to inspire, and be there for me to look back on in years to come, maybe in a Blackpool bar one evening in 2037, with Eddie and his co-pilot Michael, reminiscing about “that weekend at in 2017.”
Well enough of that, here’s what happened!

As I stepped through the arrival lounge, a phone call from Eddie confirmed he had just pulled into the collection area and as I walked along the pavement, the red VW Golf pulled up. Little did I know at the time but that I would become so well acquainted with this piece of German machinery, all 158,000 miles of it! I was informed by Eddie that we were off to see Paddy Burns, “a great long-distance man” said Eddie, and he was not wrong!

Paddy Burns of Belfast

Paddy is a star. I could just leave it at that to be honest but I will put some meat on the bones for you! Having flown for many years alongside his brother Hughie, Paddy continued to fly the Burns Brothers flag following Hughie’s passing away a few years ago. Eddie, Michael and I were greeted by Paddy at the front door of his end town house in a Belfast suburb. Pigeons were in Paddy’s blood, you could sense it straight away, and the photos that clad the hallway walls were confirmation of this. We didn’t even get into garden for a good 15-20 minutes or so. Paddy was quite happy discussing the remarkable performances from France of the birds which adorned the aforementioned hallway walls, and we were all more than happy to listen, mesmerised by the words which flowed from Paddy’s lips. I was quickly getting up to speed with the Northern Irish accent, although one or two words did elude me, and I had to ask for a repeat on a couple of occasions, this was to become a recurring theme over the weekend. The Jewel in the Crown of the Burns was the hen “Dolly”. Famous around these parts for her performances. This Hall of Fame cheq pied hen flew in the Kings Cup in 2004, 2005 and 2006, recording 21st, 33rd and 40th Open against over 2000 birds every time. “Dolly” is the Mother of loft and her bloodlines still flow through the loft now.

"Dolly" - famous across the whole of Ireland

Around 10 years prior to “Dolly”, the Burns loft secured one of the most sought-after awards in the Irish National Flying Club, the Gold Medal. Paddy’s 1991 cheq hen went to Rennes as a yearling, finished 114th Open from 2,400+ birds and was doing just 364 YPM! Paddy must have known he had something quite special on his hands with her and she was prepared meticulously, as is the way at this loft, for the next 3 years to take 73rd Open, 95th Open and 188th Open. All from Rennes. All in the Kings Cup. All these results before she was even 5 years old, incredible.

I said whilst standing in that hallway that you could actually see the evolution of the long-distance pigeon in Northern Ireland on these photos. We had birds from the 1980’s, typical dark chequers with strapping frames, right through “Dolly” and then onto the most recent performer for the Burns household, the aptly named “Trish”, named after Paddy’s wife, who makes a splendid ham and cheese sandwich I might add! “Trish” went to the Quimper Friendship National as a 2-year-old, 460 miles covered on the day, doing 1144 YPM and putting the Burns name right up towards the top of the race result in 3rd Open. This is not a loft that has relied on one bird to do the damage year after year. The blood which flows in the Burns loft keeps churning out top pigeons in a remarkable manner, especially given the set up available to Paddy.

Two lofts, postage stamp sized by today’s standards, a simple trapping system with a landed board that runs the length of the main loft and a variety of perching and nesting opportunities for the birds. One could be forgiven for thinking that Paddy keeps things simple, but I would say he makes it LOOK simple, which is a world apart from it being simple! Think what Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo do with a football, they make it look easy, but give it a go, it’s not that straight forward. Paddy is the same, a wizard, a magician if you like. He gets every ounce of effort and performance out of his birds and my bet is that this has all come about after years and years of study, practice and most of all, hard work.
Paddy pairs late, around March, and the birds race natural. No splitting them up onto widowhood or celibate, just total natural. I asked Paddy if used any safe mates or different tactics for preparing natural pigeons for the main races, I may as well have been talking Swahili with the way Paddy looked at me! He said that “Dolly” and her mate went to the 2006 Kings Cup race and scored 11th and 40th Open between them, the cock was just a yearling, another yearling doing the business in these tough races across the Irish Sea, quote incredible.

A shot inside Paddy's loft

“Dolly”This may be a little controversial but I always think of the natural flyers that are still around today to be the truly greatest pigeon men. They treat pigeon racing like an art form, the birds are the colours and their methods are the brushes. The race result sheet becomes the canvas. Only by using the right brushes with the right colours, and the right techniques, can an outstanding artist ever hope to produce a masterpiece. Well if Paddy was an artist there would be a whole section of the Tate Modern honoured to him. This man can do things with pigeons that us mere mortals can only dream of.

One thing I don’t tend to do when speaking with successful fanciers is ask for a full run-down on their feeding methods as well as the exact system they use. Quite often there is no rigid system and as for feeding, well we all know there are a million and one different combinations so I am not even going to get into that. However, I do like to get one or two tips from the fanciers that any fancier could quite easily integrate into their own regime if they so wished. Paddy gave me a couple of really good ones. With him flying natural and the birds only getting a couple of times a day, no open hole here due to feline issues, Paddy trains his birds. He prefers private training to racing and will go as far as 60 miles with his birds. Anyway, the tip he gives is to let the birds up in threes if you can. This way they still have some form of flock to help them along but they avoid the wires and Paddy says he has not had too much peregrine trouble when training this way. Also, Paddy swears by Harkers 3-in1 tablets. He gives ½ a tablet to the babies when they are approaching 3 weeks old, whilst they are still in the nest, and then another tablet a few weeks later after they have learnt how to eat and drink for themselves with ease.

Following all this it was down to the house for a spot of lunch courtesy of Trish, a look at the Gold Medal won in 1995 and a little bit of nostalgia from some old publications that featured Paddy, usually reporting on one of the splendid performances that have been recorded to this little housing estate in Belfast. I cannot thank Paddy and Trish enough for making us feel so welcome, I hope you have enjoyed Part 1 of this little mini-series, there’s plenty more to come!

Burns Bros Gold Medal, won in 1995
To summarise, what may appear to be small tweaks can have much larger effects when you get to the long days of June and July and the Nationals are in full flow, this is where people like Paddy Burn come to the fore. The hard races that are flown to these parts of British Isles have been a happy hunting ground for Paddy, and from what we saw and heard on that morning, I would think that there will be plenty more hunting to come from the Burns house in the years to come!
“I dream my painting, and then I paint my dream”
Vincent Van Gogh

John Ghent
jeela@yahoo.com
willie reynolds

Re: An Englishman, two friends -

An Englishman, Two Friends and VW Golf, Part 2

Shalimar Lofts, Belfast

As a bit of an old romantic when it comes to pigeon racing, I often find myself longing for a throwback to the mid-nineties when I first came into this great sport of ours. Sat around The Rocket at the top of Stephenson Drive in New Parks, with another 30-40 pigeon fanciers, all waiting for the result to be published. Flicking through the verification cards to see who was in front on the cards, not even thinking that clocks could be fast or slow, just day-dreaming at what might be because you think you are 30 seconds in front!

As a 12-year-old boy, thrust into the underground world of pigeon racing, I sit listening intently to what the “crack” fanciers of the day were saying, what was the latest fad, the latest fancy. I would see little groups form on result night. The old-stagers in one corner, remembering times from a bygone age, when “real pigeons” could fly every race in the season and still be fit and raring to go the next year. Or what about that time I clocked the two mealies out of Lerwick on the day….I could listen to those old boys for days. Another group would be the aces, top flyers, the winner would usually come from there. They would have heated debates about the right and wrong thing to do, should they have liberated that early, what about the wind today, you know the type of conversations! Then the final group, my personal favourite, the characters! There aren’t as many about now. That man that could make you laugh just by the way he smiled, you always knew he was thinking about something that would make grin from ear to ear. Stories rolled off his tongue in the way that words would fall out of Shakespeare’s pen. He was always ready with his one-liners, quick as a flash.

I’m sad to say that whilst the two groups first mentioned, the old-stagers and the crack flyers, are still going strong, the third group which was always the smallest anyway, even more so nowadays, is very thin on the ground now. So, imagine my delight when I found one, a true pigeon character. It’s been a long time since I had that much fun in relation to pigeons, if I am honest, despite the joy I get from the birds, I often find them wreaking havoc with my mind. To say that the 12 hours or more I spent with this man changed my outlook on pigeons would be an understatement. I’m so pleased that Michael Rabbett arranged for us to go and see this 42-carat diamond. Ladies and gents, I give you Jim Braniff!

Jim Braniff

Local authority housing estates the length and breadth of the country have been home to some of the greatest pigeon men this Earth has ever seen. It is where the sport still has its roots and we should never forget that. This sport is where the King can compete against his subjects, and long may it continue. Jim Braniff lives on one of those estates on the outskirts of Belfast, on a road called Ballymurphy Crescent. The name Ballymurphy should ring a bell with anybody old enough to remember the massacre that took place there over 40 years ago. We drove into the estate, with the murals looking down at us from the sides of houses, and I must be honest, a little chill shot up my spine. A peruse into some of the gardens had me thinking, “these gardens aren’t that big?”

The Trophy Room/Corn Room

Then we entered Jim’s………up the alleyway and into the yard we went, and I have never seen anything like that! Lofts up, lofts down, coal bunkers with trophies in, it was brilliant. The photos that accompany this article will do much more justice than words will ever do in relation to the layout and set-up at Jim’s house. Michael had said to me before we went in, “Jim tests his birds.” After a chat in the trophy room/corn room, we looked at some of Jim’s hens, true racing hens. The Busschaerts have served Jim well right out into France for many years and after handling several of the birds, we got to look at an absolute stalwart. This particular hen flew from France into West Belfast three times in one season. After a trip to St Malo with a Saturday liberation she arrived just out of race time. Back in the basket on Tuesday she was liberated on Friday to be 33rd Kings Cup. The following week she was back into France again and this time was 114th Quimper in the Friendship National, what a pigeon!

The set-up at Shalimar Lofts, I really felt at home

I love Jim’s outlook to pigeon racing. He is a fanatic. Pigeons are his life. He races a very simple and straight-forward roundabout system and the birds are tested week in, week out. Jim will be pairing at the end of November for the young birds to be rung on January 1st. He had used the darkness system prior to 2017 but this year he decided not to and saw no difference in the performances of the birds. Whether this is because they were reared so early and therefore went through a natural darkness, only Mother Nature knows! The young birds are then pushed through the programme where only the strongest survive, which is how it must be as the race loft for the old birds is not a big structure and only so many birds can be kept. As for the old bird racers, as I have mentioned it is all very simple. The cocks and hens are trained regularly and I dread to think how much fuel Jim uses on a weekly basis, the commitment put in at Shalimar Lofts is there for all to see. Come race day, the cocks are basketed ready for the off, then placed into the corridor. The hens are then released from their section and allowed to do as they please over the basket of cocks, thus motivating both parties, easy as that!

Jim holding the 3 x France Hen. 3 French races in 15 days.

Jim’s record from the shortest races to the longest race points on the Irish calendar is exemplary. We handled countless pigeons to have scored in huge races, not just the hen mentioned earlier. We also looked at;
13th Open Hen, bred by Jim and raced by John Jackson
4th Open as a yearling from St Allouestre, 490 miles (told you they are tested)
90th Open Kings Cup

The list goes on! Jim Braniff is a racer of pigeons. They are there to race and Jim allows them to, it’s that cut and dry. And yet under all the bullishness of this Belfast Council Estate man, I sense there is a softer side. As we stood on the platform, some 10 feet or more off the ground where his race loft stands, I looked out to the edge of the platform and there sits an old stool. Jim watched as I was looking at the stool, and in a quiet tone, in complete contrast to how everything else had been spoken in that last hour or so, he said to me;
“When I sit there and watch one come from France, it’s like I’m floating.”

That was it for me, it was the only thing that had been missing from the last hour, the connection. I could tell within 5 minutes that Jim knew how to race pigeons, but that one thing that sets the good pigeon racer apart from the top notch of this fancy is that connection with their birds. I wasn’t 100% sure Jim had it, and within a split second, he showed me he had it in abundance, he just keeps it a little hidden away, his own little secret.
Jim, I will never forget my time with you on that Saturday afternoon, you made me very happy and gave me lots to think about.
“Many individuals have, like uncut diamonds, shining qualities beneath a rough exterior.”

John Ghent
johnghent@me.com
willie reynolds

Re: An Englishman, two friends -

An Englishman, Two Friends and VW Golf, Part 3

This was really becoming a day to remember. We had probably spent a little more time at Jim Braniff’s than we had originally expected to but the fun there was unquestionable and so we let the good times roll.
However, we had a long journey ahead of us, down to the outskirts of Dublin for somewhat of a contrast to the two earlier visits during the day. We left Jim’s house full of enthusiasm for what lay ahead, even though it was to be a good old haul into my third country of the day! England, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in one action-packed Saturday. Jim was to be our guide down South, so our “three-man wolfpack” had become four. Off we went for loft visit number three, Herbie Thorpe and the stunning Proudstown Lofts.

Herbie Thorpe holding one of many International performers at Proudstown Lofts

Herbie Thorpe

I wasn’t sure what to expect, but this set-up is class! And I’m just talking about the shop, not the lofts. Herbie has really gone to town and now offers not just fabulous pigeons, but a full racing pigeon experience for his many visitors. Stocking what would appear to be the full range of Natural products, the purpose-built shop has a multitude of products for the pigeon fancier and to the rear is a kitchen area for entertaining and an office where Herbie had been investing quite a bit of time sorting out pedigrees for the many fantastic birds which now call Proudstown Lofts their home. The various corns on offer, all open and on display so you can really see what you are buying, and the advice from Herbie, a Kings Cup Winner, what more could you want on a day out. After a long chat and discussion about National racing, both in Ireland and England, and the difficulties of flying into both areas, we went outside and first to the wonderful breeding facility that has been constructed.

Just a small section of the shop at Herbie's

Two long rows of single pair breeding pens, all housing top quality stock, from both Irish fanciers and Continental imports. It is no secret that Herbie is good friends with Sheldon Leonard, and they often found together on trips over to Belgium and Holland, sourcing new opportunities for their customers back in Ireland and the UK. I did ask Herbie if he had ever brought any English or Welsh pigeons in to the stud and he said not yet, but watch this space. The right opportunity had never really presented itself so far, so it had not happened yet, but Herbie said he would never rule it out, if the right results were being put up by the right individual.

The Breeding Set-Up at Proudstown Lofts

We were introduced to many champions, one of which was “Bert’s Girl”, the 2015 Kings Cup Winner, which had been paired to some super cocks, one of which was the 2016 Miller Gold Cup winner, the breeding does not get much better. As we moved from bird to bird, the quality was outstanding, you could tell that Herbie had really embraced this relatively new project. The breeding loft housed so many relatives of International performers form the continent I honestly lost count!
Following this we moved into the barns which had now been converted to house more individual breeding pens, it was here that we met “Proudstown Lad”, Sire to the aforementioned “Bert’s Girl”. A sturdy chequer cock, not as big in the hand as he looked, but nevertheless you could tell that he had some fight about him, which had obviously been passed down to his King’s Cup winning daughter. A lot of the breeding for 2017 was just being finished off, we were then shown some of the hens which had completed their breeding for the season and were now being housed in a large aviary close to the rear of the shop.

Sire of "Bert's Girl"

One hen here really stood out for me personally, a pigeon called “The Thurso Hen”. Now maybe the old romantic on me was coming back to haunt me, but Thurso has a special place in my heart, as it was when a pigeon dropped from Thurso over 20 years ago that the pigeon bug really bit me hard. This hen though, what a cracker. Long and sleek, a body to die for, effortless. I can imagine she took everything in her stride whenever she went into the basket. Twice high up in the Open result from Thurso across ludicrous terrain, this hen would have been the one I would have taken home with me!
Time was racing along, and our bellies were becoming very loud. We made what Jim told us was an all too frequent pilgrimage for him to The Snail Box restaurant, what a place! Hundreds and hundreds of hats adorn the ceiling and you are more than welcome to swap one hat for another. I was encouraged to do so but the hat atop my head came all the way from New York’s MTV store nearly 15 years ago so that was going nowhere. We had stacks more conversation about the pigeon racing world before we thanked Herbie and made the long trip back up to Belfast to drop Jim off. Saturday was drawing to a close, we were all very tired, none more so than Eddie, who had done many miles in the trusty red Golf, and we arrived back into Belfast with midnight approaching.

My starter at "The Snail Box"

“So, Northern Ireland isn’t all that big, how long back to Londonderry now?” I asked hopefully……...
“We should be back around 1am……. with a bit of luck,” replied Michael.

WOW, what a day! Out of East Midlands airport at 8:30am and now getting into bed in a B&B in the heart of Derry at 1am the following day. I don’t want to unveil too much before I wrap everything up at the end of Part 4, which will be released very soon, but I can honestly say that the ideas and theories from all the pigeon addicts I met on that Saturday had my mind spinning. I’ll sum up more, like I say, after I conclude this series of articles, it’ll be worth the wait, I promise.

“I can’t understand why people would ever want to get rid of pigeons, they don’t bother no one.”
Mike Tyson

Thanks again for reading, it won’t be too long a wait until the next one!
John Ghent johnghent@me.com

An Englishman, two friends and a VW Golf Part 4

Following an extremely long day on Saturday I finally got into bed at around 1am on Sunday morning, having been chauffeured from Belfast to Dublin, back to London and finally across Northern Ireland to Derry where my bed for the night was greatly received. It wasn’t long though, or it certainly didn’t seem like long, before the alarm was going off and I was heading out into the blustery Derry conditions, waiting for Eddie to come and collect me for the final leg of our journey.
I managed to get a good look around Derry, a walled city with some incredible scenery. The walls date back to the 17th Century and coupled with the bridges that cross the River Foyle, you can imagine it would be quite a formidable foe for any would be invaders! Well, this Englishman’s “invasion” of Derry was drawing to a close and the VW Golf pulled up the hill into Derry to await its last journey of the weekend, much to its delight no doubt.
After a brief visit to Michael’s we headed off on our way down to Newry, once again crossing Northern Irish countryside, this time in a South Easterly direction as oppose to due East and Belfast. We were destined for Paul Swindell’s and I was very much looking forward to seeing some of the birds on offer at Paul’s as well as being able to have a closer look at the loft set-up and hear from Paul himself how these birds were raced.
After arriving at Pauls we spend a little while in the conservatory overlooking the superb views to the rear of the property and we could see the imposing lofts away to our right hand side. Paul’s views on pigeons are very straight-forward and I like that. You know where you stand and for him it, at the distances he wants to race and the difficulty of the races that he is competing in, it is nearly all about the pigeon. Paul has tried to source tough British and Irish pigeons in an effort to get them clocked from France into Newry, and hopefully beyond in the future, with his sights firmly set on British Barcelona Club and British International Championship Club racing. Doing it for himself as oppose to chasing red cards is what it is all about for Paul and let’s be honest, the chances of Paul competing with the South coast of England from any race across the English Channel is slim, especially when we take into account the prevailing Westerly winds in this country and the Irish Channel as well.

Outlook from the house

Loft set-up

As we made our way down to the lofts my feet got rather wet, the ground is quite a lot lower around the loft area and the weather had not been kind through the morning and Paul said the water just sits in this part of the field for a long time, plimsoles therefore were not a good call on my part! Once we got into the converted barn that the lofts are housed in though it was a different kettle of fish, bone dry and air circulating freely. All the birds that we handled were in fine fettle, despite a lot of the birds being heavy in the moult. The individual breeding pens that we had seen the previous day at Herbie Thorpe’s were also in situ here, and pigeons were just finishing off their final round, some destined for the Far East where Paul has several connections and is indeed setting up a racing loft on that side of the world in conjunction with a local man, this hobby does great things to bring people together from all walks of like and from many areas of the globe.
Paul’s old birds are raced on his own version of round-a-about/widowhood, to keep them fresh and available for racing through the whole season, that way he is able to “strike” whenever the opportunity arises, not needing to worry about getting the birds down on eggs, or having to concern himself with the nest condition of pigeons. However, don’t let the fact that he doesn’t race natural draw away from the fact that the way the birds are raced to the Swindell lofts is anything but simple. It’s the easiest way to race pigeon I have seen in a long time, and the fact that it is scalable is the beauty of it. Paul could race twice as many pigeons and with how the system works it wouldn’t be that much more work. The hens are kept in a fairly small section, somewhat hidden away, and are simply run through a corridor to the awaiting cocks when required. When exercise time comes, doors can be opened and closed to just allow the hens access to the elements, without having to go through the cocks section, all very straight-forward. Feeding is also kept simple and when we were there we were able to see that in the hoppers was nothing but farm maize, bucketloads of it! The hoppers can be closed off in the evenings to prevent vermin accessing them and when we were there the young birds were having their liberty all through the Winter on open hole and with a hopper of maize in front of them, again, nice and simple. The youngsters are not raced but are allowed to come on and grow, then are pitched into battle as yearlings and latebreds, with some latebreds being pushed all the way to 400 miles or more. “Queen of the Rain” was one such latebred, when at just 8/9 moths of age she competed in the Friendship National to score 2nd Open. Descendants of “Queen of the Rain” have continued to put in performances from France for Paul and many other fanciers, as the offspring is in such high demand around the UK and the rest of the World.

Hens section

There are several photos included showing the excellent set-up that Paul has to work with, as well as some of the birds that call this beautiful location home. My own personal favourite is the one showing the birds that performed to this loft in the St Malo race of 2016. Very few pigeons were clocked on the day in this race but birds racing to this loft scored an incredible 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th and 11th Section, with the following Open positions; 3rd. 5th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th. Now I’m not a big one for listing results or individual performances of pigeons but this result needed to be mentioned in this write-up about a fanatical pigeon fancier. Anybody else that I know in the pigeon world, including myself, would look at that result if it was their own and think, “I’m onto a winner here, just keep concentrating on this race each year and I’ll go down in history.” Not Paul Swindell………………

The St Malo Perfomers from 2016

3rd Open and 5th Open St Malo

Paul wants to go further, fly further than any fancier in Ireland has done CONSISTENTLY. There have been many birds clocked into Ireland from the French racepoints with UK National clubs, and even a fair smattering from the Spanish racepoints, but to my knowledge very few have done it consistently and that’s what Paul wants to do. Yes he wants to show people that it can be done and whilst it may be a dream to clock with regularity into Newry from the likes of Barcelona or Palamos year in, year out, that’s not going to stop Paul Swindell from having a right good go at it!
Time was racing by and it was time to say our goodbyes, a short drive up to Belfast City was now needed to get me on my flight home, after what was an incredibly enjoyable and tiring weekend of pigeons! We thanked Paul for allowing us to come and see him, and I now had pages and pages of notes to decipher from the previous two days, in an attempt to put into words, and video in some cases, the things that I had learned over the last 48 hours or so.
Paul Swindell is a one off. A unique individual with a single mindedness that few share within this hobby. His drive and determination to succeed are available for all to see. But one thing Paul does know, is that without the right bird, achieving his goal could be extremely difficult. Has he got those birds already in place? Do the birds even exist to fly this most arduous route on a consistent basis? Well I guess that’s the strange fascination about it all……we just don’t know! But Paul Swindell is determined to find out and wish him all the luck in the world!
“To succeed in your mission, you must have single-minded devotion to your goal.”
Abdul Kalam

That wraps up this mini-series, I hope you’ve enjoyed it. All that’s left me to say is thank you to Paddy Burns, Jim Braniff, Herbie Thorpe and Paul Swindell for allowing us to come and spend some time with them all. I learnt new things from each and every one of you, and will no doubt be a better fancier following the weekend. A mention to Michael Rabbett for the company over the 2 days, I enjoyed bouncing ideas off you and vice-versa. Finally, my good friend Eddie McGettigan. Since we first spoke 2 years or more ago, a true friendship has blossomed and long may it continue. Thank you for the driving, the organising, the bed for the night and for providing the hardest worker over that weekend………….the red Volkswagen Golf!

L-R:- Michael Rabbett, Eddie McGettigan and Paul Swindell

Thanks for reading, speak soon.

John Ghent

Return to “John Ghent reports”