AGM Lisburn - 10/03/18 -

It was in 1932 that His Majesty King George V presented a new cup to the Irish National Flying Club to be known as The King George V Challenge Cup and was to be awarded to the winner of the OB Grand National.

The 1932 Grand National race was flown from Les Sables at a distance of some 600 miles and the race was won by R Hawthorn from Ligoniel in North Belfast.This race was flown under IHU rules and it was not until 1948 that the Kings Cup was flown under IHU and RPRA rules.The race in 1948 was won by Sammy Robinson from Belfast.

The Irish National Flying Club have a six race programme for the 2020 season which enables its members to compete in the inland Nationals or over the channel at the very highest level. I hope you will enjoy using the website as it will be a source of information through out the season. Good luck to all members competing in this years Nationals. Ronnie Johnston Patron INFC.

The INFC has 2,100 members across Ireland. The 6 Race Programme includes the famous Kings Cup from France. Friendship Nat is also France, Ylr Nat Sennen Cove, YB Nat Penzance and OB and YB Nat from Skibbereen. Numerous other awards including Gold Medal, Hall of Fame Diploma, Triple Championship, Single Bird Challenge, 3 Bird Championship, Merit Awards etc. Results, Reports, Latest News etc. See Website http://www.irishnationalflyingclub.com or http://www.infc.co.uk
willie reynolds

AGM Lisburn - 10/03/18 -

Post by willie reynolds »

The 68th AGM for the Irish National Flying Club will take place in the Lagan Valley Leisureplex, Lisburn Leisure Park, Govenors Road, Lisburn, Co Antrim, BT28 1LP on Saturday 3rd March 2018 at 2.00pm sharp. The Agenda and Balance Sheets for all races have been sent to all members. Agenda is along the usual lines. (1) Apologies, (2) Minutes of the 2017 AGM, (3) Secretary Report, (4) Convoyers Race Reports 2017, (5) Passing of Accounts, (6) Election of Officers, (7) Notice of Motion submitted by N Lusty No 1695. The Young Bird Channel National is flown from Bude in Cornwall.

The Management Committee is still drawn from the RPRA (Irish Region) and Irish Homing Union meetings, I have a list of those selected by the RPRA.

INFC (RPRA) Management Committee: G McDowell Kells, W Reynolds Ballymena, P Dunlop Edgarstown, C O’Hare Ballyholland, J Serplus Laurelvale, P Smith Individual Dublin, R Duddy Ballyclare, A Thompson Ballyclare, C Lyons Hills & Maze, D Suitters Doagh, T Griffith Eastway, E McGimpsey Ards, N Lewis Doagh, A Kelly Individual Dublin.

INFC (RPRA) Appeals Committee: W Kelly St Pauls, J Burrows Eastway, and W Knowles Kingsmoss.

Noel Shields will be standing down as a Race Advisor and after seven years Brendan McLoughlin will stand down as the main Press Officer due to IHU duties. Brendan done a fantastic job and will be hard to replace.

The Agreed race programme for 2018 is a follows, venue for the YB Grand Nat will be confirmed after the AGM. At the minute the list reads.

Tuesday 29th May - Skibbereen Old Bird Inland, marking (Monday); Wednesday 13th June - Sennen Cove Yearling , marking (Monday); Friday 6th July - St. Allouestre Grand Nat King’s Cup, marking (Tuesday); Friday 13th July - Brest Friendship National , marking (Tuesday); Wednesday 5th September - Bude/Penzance Young Bird Grand Nat, marking (Monday); Saturday 22nd September - Skibbereen Young Bird Inland, marking (Thursday).

At the last Committee Meeting it was agreed to the request to having a Clock Station in Kilkenny, to be reviewed after a one year trial period, also South Leinster Federation will present a cup to be won by 1st South Leinster Fed member in the Kings Cup Grand National. The INFC will purchase three portable display banners with the club logo on to be used as a background for the photography at the prize presentation. A race is being planned to mark the 100 years for the ending of the First World War on 14th July to be flown from Ypres in Belgium. The Irish pigeons could be convoyed by the Welsh Nat Club the INFC will provide marking and clock station facilities if needed. This year the Single Bird Challenge in the Kings Cup will have an entry fee of £5.00. Birds to be nominated by 17th March 2018 and the Entry Form and £5 fee to be sent to Mr David Black, 11 Drumiller Hill, Dromore, Co Down, BT25 1EP. New Member Application form and Single Bird Challenge form are available to download on the website http://www.infc.co.uk
Last edited by willie reynolds on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie reynolds

Re: AGM Lisburn - 10/03/18

Important Information A.G. M. put back one week.

Update Thursday 1st March 2018 @ 12.00 mid day.

The Annual General Meeting planned for Saturday has been put back one week, due to adverse weather conditions, until Saturday 10th March same venue and time. Trevor Topping, Secretary.
willie reynolds

Re: AGM Lisburn - 10/03/18 -

INFC Annual General Meeting in Lisburn –

A smaller than usual number of members attended the 68th AGM of the INFC held on Saturday 10th March in the Lagan Valley Leisureplex in Lisburn. The meeting had been put back for one week due to the severe weather condition over that weekend across Ireland.

Chairman Len McCavery welcomed the members and firstly asked them to stand and observe a moments silence for the members and relatives who had passed away since the previous AGM, included were Past President Lyndin Boyle Committee member George Gaw, Bobby Smyth, Joe Adamson, Brian Hogg, George Barr and Angus Houston. Apologies were received from D Mawhinney, R Johnston, N Lusty, J Albert, S Thompson, J Hughes, D Black, J Doheny and SG Briggs.

He then invited the secretary Trevor Topping to read the minutes of the previous AGM which were then approved. Next item was the Secretary Report of 2017.

On behalf of all the members I thank the following sponsors for the 2017 season Bamford’s Top Flight, Frazers Animal Feeds, H. Beattie & Son and Sawyers & Co. Estate Agents, also to the BHW with a discount on publishing rates for race results. The sponsorship special prizes are greatly appreciated by all the club members.

The club had a difficult seasons racing with the weather playing a big part in all the races. The Saint Allouestre King’s Cup was due to the efforts of the race advisors and convoyer, the most successful race of the season. I congratulate all national and prize winners during the 2017 season. Thanks has to go to the efforts of race advisors David Black, Tom Marshall and Noel Shiels who had poor weather to deal with and had to make some very difficult decisions.

Ronnie Johnston arranged the annual prize distribution to a very high standard once again in December. The awards were presented by our retiring treasurer after 30 years of service, Mr David Mawhinney, assisted by Mrs Pamela Mawhinney.
I wish to thank the committees of the East Down Combine and Ulster Federation for assistance with transport during the 2017 season. On behalf of the members I wish to thank all of those committee members and club members who helped at the race markings, clock settings and checking’s and also the race controllers. Thanks also to Jim McCrory INFC Convoyer, Vincent, Danny and Brian McCrory for their great work and assistance in transporting the pigeons along with Paddy Cullen.
I personally thank the officials, committee members, press officers and any members who helped me during the past season. I also wish to pay tribute to the late Lyndon Boyle and the late George Gaw who served on the management committee of the INFC faithfully for many years.

Just before I finish a lot has been published in the fancy press about the poor races and that the INFC has experienced over recent years, please remember the committee serve the members and change can be brought about by the members not by articles in the fancy press. Just one more point to consider, what would our forefathers have done?

The 2018 season is fast approaching and I appeal for help at the marking centre if only for a few hours as those members of the committee who faithfully attend the race marking are struggling to cope. Remember the single bird challenge entries have to be returned before 17th March. I hope we all have a successful 2018 season.

The Convoyers race reports were on the table for inspection and next item was the passing of accounts. Annual Accounts: No questions had been asked prior to the meeting regarding the annual accounts and Auditor Ron McKelvey presented the Auditors report to the members. With an upgrade to the computer programme it saved a bit of money on the Auditor fees. Monies paid out to the membership amounted to a massive £118,060 which included £3,300 in free nominations and there were 6,807 birds entered in the six races. The Irish National Flying Clubs accounts were in a very healthy state and the Auditor thanked Trevor for his assistance in the preparation of the accounts.

Election of Officers: All offices were declared vacant and Life Vice President Eugene Fitzgerald conducted the election.

Officers for 2018 are: Patron Ronnie Johnston, President David Black, Senior Vice-President Clifford Browne, Junior Vice-President Wesley Sawyers, Chairman Leonard McCavery, Secretary Trevor Topping, Treasurer vacant, Auditor Ron McKelvey, Press Officer Willie Reynolds. Race advisors - Peter McKeown, David Black Tom Marshall.

INFC Management Committee 2018:

RPRA representatives: N. Lewis Doagh, C O’Hare Ballyholland, W Reynolds Ballymena, E McGimpsey Ards, P Simth Dublin, D Suitters Doagh, R Duddy Ballyclare, C Lyons Hills & Maze, T Griffiths Eastway, A Thompson Ballyclare, A Larkin Wilton Cross, J Serplus Laurelvale, G McDowell Kells, P Dunlop Edgarstown.

RPRA Appeals Committee: W Knowles Kingsmoss, J Brown Blackwatertown, J Burrows Eastway.

IHU representatives: L McCavery Annalong, B Marshall Newtownbreda, P O’Neill Grosvenor, B McLoughlin Annalong, D Walton Skerries, A Kelly Skerries, R Topping Ballynahinch, M Irvine Downpatrick, J Hand Skerries, D Coleman Castlebellingham, R Trimble Ballylesson, B O’Leary Cork T Marshall Newtownbreda, D Caskey Bangor, P McKeown Dundalk.

IHU Appeals Committee: J Albert Ballylesson, H Patton Belmont, M Roche Blanchardstown.

Motions: The single item on the agenda was to change the YB Grand Nat from Penzance to Bude, although the proposer Noel Lusty was absent the fact the meeting date was changed at short notice the motion was allowed to go forward. Opinions were expressed on both points and when put to the vote the members were reluctant to change, for Bude 12, against Bude 23. Most of the older members remember Bude was flown before, and I checked back the records, races were before my time racing. Bude was flown in 1963 and the winners were a top Ballymena loft of Gray & Lowry, I think they finished 3rd as well winning velocity was 1006. 1964 was Milford Haven won by Smyth Bros of Ballymena velocity 1284, it was Bude again in 1965 won by E Herron & Son Holywood velocity 879, then Cork in 1966 won by J & W Machie of Belfast just over a mile a minute. Penzance was first flown in 1976 and was won in Mid Antrim yet again, Campbell & Francey were to dominate for many seasons in Harryville.

The Agreed race programme for 2018 is a follows, venue for the YB Grand Nat will be Penzance. Tuesday 29th May - Skibbereen Old Bird Inland, marking (Monday); Wednesday 13th June - Sennen Cove Yearling , marking (Monday); Friday 6th July - St. Allouestre Grand Nat King’s Cup, marking (Tuesday); Friday 13th July - Brest Friendship National , marking (Tuesday); Wednesday 5th September - Penzance Young Bird Grand Nat, marking (Monday); Saturday 22nd September - Skibbereen Young Bird Inland, marking (Thursday). Annual Dinner & Prize Presentation Stormont Hotel in Belfast on Friday 23rd November 2018.

At the committee meeting that followed it was agreed Single Bird Challenge to have 10 prizes on a reducing percentage, the entry fee this year is £5.00 and deadline for entries to David Black is 17th March 2018. The race planned from Ypres is not going to be easily arranged and there may not be a lot of interest and could prove expensive to enter. The committee will make a final decision at the race marking for the Old Bird Skibbereen. It was approved the secretary purchase a new printer. At this meeting I was selected as Press Officer which will be my third time in office, Adie has agreed to give me a hand and we look forward to covering all the latest news and race reports over the season. Willie Reynolds Press Officer.

Return to “Irish National Flying Club”