A National Special - Ronnie Johnston (Patron)

It was in 1932 that His Majesty King George V presented a new cup to the Irish National Flying Club to be known as The King George V Challenge Cup and was to be awarded to the winner of the OB Grand National.

The 1932 Grand National race was flown from Les Sables at a distance of some 600 miles and the race was won by R Hawthorn from Ligoniel in North Belfast.This race was flown under IHU rules and it was not until 1948 that the Kings Cup was flown under IHU and RPRA rules.The race in 1948 was won by Sammy Robinson from Belfast.

The Irish National Flying Club have a six race programme for the 2020 season which enables its members to compete in the inland Nationals or over the channel at the very highest level. I hope you will enjoy using the website as it will be a source of information through out the season. Good luck to all members competing in this years Nationals. Ronnie Johnston Patron INFC.

The INFC has 2,100 members across Ireland. The 6 Race Programme includes the famous Kings Cup from France. Friendship Nat is also France, Ylr Nat Sennen Cove, YB Nat Penzance and OB and YB Nat from Skibbereen. Numerous other awards including Gold Medal, Hall of Fame Diploma, Triple Championship, Single Bird Challenge, 3 Bird Championship, Merit Awards etc. Results, Reports, Latest News etc. See Website http://www.irishnationalflyingclub.com or http://www.infc.co.uk
willie reynolds

A National Special - Ronnie Johnston (Patron)

Post by willie reynolds »

The frustration felt by members of the Irish National Flying Club was finally ended on Friday 3rd July when the 2,620 birds were liberated in Vannes at 6.15 am and the race for the Kings Cup was underway. Over the next few weeks I will bring you the readers some history on the race and exciting and interesting facts.

The Kings Cup was not flown in 2007 and 2008 for various reasons so the entry for the 2009 race @ 2,620 was excellent, in fact the highest since 1996 when N Black & sons of Dromara won the cup from 2,954 entries. In this race, Malcolm Robinson of Bondhill was 3rd Open, keep that in mind. The highest birdage for the Kings Cup was in 1995 when Jackie Patience of Lurgan set that amazing record of 1st & 2nd Open, both these races were flown from Rennes. The race conditions were good and with a favourable wind, the race winners would record fast times.

Congratulations to Tommy Morehouse of Rathnew on winning 1st South Section, 1st Open on 1416 ypm with a yearling. Since the late Jackie McCloud of Newtown presented the INFC with a new Cup for the first yearling from the Kings Cup race, a number of yearlings have gone close including Paddy Rock & son Martin from Dublin, 2nd Open in 2005, to Maurice Wilkinson of Lurgan. Tommy morehouse was sending to the Kings Cup for only the second time having won 5th Open in 2006 winning 4,031 also with a yearling. A piece of history was set in this race as 1st, 2nd & 3rd Open were all yearlings. Second Open and just missing out on a fourth National win was Glen Buckley & son Johnathan of Annaghmore, this loft has enjoyed a magnificent finish to the 2009 Old Bird season as they also won another NIPA National. Glen was also 8th Open in 2006 and again this was a yearling.

Malcolm Robinson of Bondhill was 3rd Open for a second time and again this was a yearling. Malcolm is an out and out National flyer and a former winner of the Harkness Rose Bowl Best 2Bird Average.

With no Kings Cup flown in 2007 and 2008, this has made the winning of the Hall of Fame and Gold Medal very difficult indeed. I can update you on both. We had two super hens competing for the Gold Medal, four times a prize winner in the Kings Cup race remember these two hens have already won a Hall of Fame. The owners Sam Corrigan and Gary Benson have to be admired and congratulated on getting them both to the 2009 Kings Cup after missing two years. I am also pleased to confirm that both hens have been clocked but on this occasion are out of the prizes, so no Gold Medal. I have spoken with Sam and Gary and would not rule out another attempt in 2010. Remember Ronnie Williamson's 5 Times a Lady, she won a Hall of Fame and was sent back to win a Gold Cup Medal but finished 202nd and out of the prizes as that year the club only had 200 Open prizes. Ronnie prepared her for another attempt and this time was successful in winning a Gold Medal, one of only eight to be won in the last 30 years putting it into perspective just how difficult this medal is to win.

I am more delighted to confirm that at the time of writing, two Hall of Fame winners have been recorded. Paddy Rock & son Martin of Skerries win their first Hall of Fame Diploma with a five year old cock rung 13192. In 2005 he went to Messac as a yearling, winning 35th Open and in that year was also 2nd Open with another yearling cock. In 2006 the Kings Cup was flown from Vannes and 13192 was 33rd Open.

2007 and 2008 no Kings Cup race and his next chance to win the Hall of Fame Diploma came this year when again the race was flown from Vannes and 13192 won 103rd Open and the coveted Diploma. I know the Rocks very well and their pigeon season revolves around Derby and National racing. Paddy and Martin won the Kings Cup in 1997 from St Nazaire with Champion Jack and they have told me that winning a Hall of Fame has given the family just as much pleasure as the Kings Cup win in 1997.

In 2006, four Hall of Fame Diplomas were won and collecting one of these was the popular Stewart Bros of Randalstown. I think you are going to like this piece on how they won a second Hall of Fame in 2009. The pigeon in question is rung 03 05576 and first went to the Kings Cup in 2004 as a yearling winning 54th Open. The next Kings Cup race, 05576 was a prize winner in Vannes 2006 winning 64th Open with no race for two years, 05576 was now six years old when the Stewart Bros sent him to Vannes and this brilliant pigeon did not disappoint winning 247th open from 2,620 pigeons and sealed a second Hall of Fame for Stewart Bros. these two lofts can now look forward to the National dinner when the Hall of Fame Diplomas will be presented.

The leading East Down Combine Loft winning the EDC Cup is Tom Marshall & son David of Newtownbreda winning 37th Open. The Marshall Loft has now won this cup four times, (1981, 1985, 2004 and now 2009), and this is a record for the Combine.

John Ramsey & son of Grosvenor HPS will win the Ulster Federation Cup 85th Open and John is winning this cup for the third time having been successful in 2003 and 2005. A story behind the latest win. The Ramsey Loft first won the Federation Cup in 2003 with Glen Mount Lady then in 2005 with her son John Boy, the 2009 winner is a daughter of John Boy when paired to a hen from none other than Tom Marshall. With the entry at 2,600 and only 250 Open prizes, you can work it out, only 10% are Open prize winners.

I want to highlight the performances of A Hughes & son of Largymore, this loft sent three pigeons and clocked all three to win 25th, 52nd and 68th Open, a performance out of the top drawer. Hope to have more information in my next column on the winning pigeons.

I'm delighted to report that the clubs hard working secretary Trevor Topping clocked two birds in the Open prize money, the first winning 65th Open and was placed 5th in the Single Bird Challenge. The Joe Dohewy Trophy for the single Bird Challenge has become one of the most coveted trophies within the INFC.

The 2009 Kings race has produced another record within the club in that all 11 prize winners are within the Open prize money. Winning the Joe Dohewy Cup, a framed Diploma and 500 was the popular Jim robinson of Edgarstown in 5th Open. Former Kings Cup winner Alan Darragh of Cullybackey is 2nd winning 300 and a framed Diploma in 11th Open, Tom McClean of Annaghmore is 3rd winning 200 and a framed Diploma in 30th Open and this pigeon also wins the Triple Crown Diploma; Open prize winner, YB National, Yearling National and Kings Cup. Fourth was Billy McClure of Kells winning 150 in 46th Open, 5th Trevor Topping & son of Lisburn winning 100 in 65th Open, 6th Jim Butler of Banbridge winning 75 in 90th Open, 8th M & V Gorman of Balbriggan winning 50th in 97th Open, 9th Paddy Rock & son of Skerries winning 50 in 103rd Open, 10th Paul Dunlop of Edgerstown winning 50 in 119th Open and 11th T Shanks & son of Kells winnning 50th in 143rd Open.

David Black who puts so much into the organisation of this event was telling me that another eight Challenge Birds were clocked in the Open Result. The framed Diplomas are sponsored by Wesley Sawyers of Banbridge.

The race for the French Diploma; Best Average OB Derby/National and Kings Cup has been the history of the competition and I will feature the contender's in my next column. Ronnie Johnston INFC Patron.

Return to “Irish National Flying Club”