Gold Medal Awards - Updated March 2019

It was in 1932 that His Majesty King George V presented a new cup to the Irish National Flying Club to be known as The King George V Challenge Cup and was to be awarded to the winner of the OB Grand National.

The 1932 Grand National race was flown from Les Sables at a distance of some 600 miles and the race was won by R Hawthorn from Ligoniel in North Belfast.This race was flown under IHU rules and it was not until 1948 that the Kings Cup was flown under IHU and RPRA rules.The race in 1948 was won by Sammy Robinson from Belfast.

The Irish National Flying Club have a six race programme for the 2020 season which enables its members to compete in the inland Nationals or over the channel at the very highest level. I hope you will enjoy using the website as it will be a source of information through out the season. Good luck to all members competing in this years Nationals. Ronnie Johnston Patron INFC.

The INFC has 2,100 members across Ireland. The 6 Race Programme includes the famous Kings Cup from France. Friendship Nat is also France, Ylr Nat Sennen Cove, YB Nat Penzance and OB and YB Nat from Skibbereen. Numerous other awards including Gold Medal, Hall of Fame Diploma, Triple Championship, Single Bird Challenge, 3 Bird Championship, Merit Awards etc. Results, Reports, Latest News etc. See Website http://www.irishnationalflyingclub.com or http://www.infc.co.uk
willie reynolds

Gold Medal Awards - Updated March 2019

Post by willie reynolds »

Forty years ago I proposed the Gold Medal award for 4 Times in the Kings Cup prizes with the same bird, the first season a bird was able to qualify was in 1982 and I was pleased to be asked to present Gold Medals to G M Kirkpatrick and John McCartan. It looked liked something that could be achieved with ease, but that has not been the case it is a very difficult award to win and the record shows just 13 award winners in 40 years, it’s a real test achieved by Champions.

I am doing a little update and I need details of winner's to be included. Breeding details and racing record, how prepared and any other items of interest. You might not be aware but on our Website http://www.pigeonnetwork.com we have a special dedicated section for the INFC History, lots of interesting bits there including the Gold Medal. At the minute I am learning how to do updates on this site which has been changed in the last year. Your details will be added and also included in an article to BHW & RP. E-mail: homerbhw@gmail.com

Four Times in the Result in the Kings Cup Old Bird Grand National - Won by the following

1982 Season - G M Kirkpatrick, Ballymacbrennan
1979 - 119th, 1980 - 83rd, 1981 - 62nd, 1982 - 14th

1982 Season - J McCartan, Annalong
1979 - 84th, 1980 - 97th, 1981 - 149th, 1982 - 17th

1992 Season - W Catherwood & Sons, Ballynahinch
1988 - 26th, 1989 - 133rd, 1991 - 7th, 1992 - 48th

1993 Season - M Conlon & Sons, Banbridge
1990 - 26th, 1991 - 14th, 1992 - 89th, 1993 - 68th

1994 Season - Ron Williamson, Bondhill Soc
1989 - 22nd, 1992 - 126th, 1993 - 113th, 1994 - 147th

1995 Season - F Scott & Son, Dromore HPS
1992 - 31st, 1993 - 67th, 1994 - 62nd, 1995 - 8th

1995 Season - Gordon Kirkpatrick, Ballymacbrennan
1991 - 47th, 1992 - 79th, 1993 - 49th, 1995 - 77th

1995 Season - Burns Bros, Comber Social
1992 - 114th, 1993 - 73rd, 1994 - 95th, 1995 - 188th

2011 Season - J Waring & Son, Lisburn & District
2005 - 24th, 2006 - 53rd, 2010 - 25th, 2011 - 163rd

2012 Season - Rev T.A.B. Sawyers & Son, Banbridge
2005 - 107th, 2010 - 134th, 2001 - 58th, 2012 - 41st

2012 Season - N Black & Son, Dromara
2009 - 241st, 2010 - 153rd, 2011 - 200th, 2012 - 52nd

2013 Season - John Greenaway, Bondhill Soc
2010 - 145th, 2011 - 241st, 2012 - 34th, 2013 - 159th

2018 Season - A McAteer & Sons, Ballyholland
2015 - 107th, 2016 - 27th, 2017 - 162nd, 2018 - 47th

Before the new season starts I intended to look at some of the award winners within the Irish National Flying Club and supply the list of what are now 13 Gallant winners, this award has turned out like the Hall of Fame Diploma to be something special. I managed to track down the most recent winner, Aiden McAteer of Ballyholland in Newry, a loft that has been getting a number of top INFC positions, including winning the Friendship National.

He writes –
When I was nine years old a stray bird arrived at my father’s farm, I liked after it and it stayed. One of my neighbours Michael Smith was taking milk to the Creamery and he told me he knew a pigeon man in Newry and he would get me a mate for my bird. The fanciers name was Andy McMurray and Michael took me to see him, he had a 8 x 6 Foot Loft and I thought that was massive. I got the bird to go with my own, and I was as they say smitten. Andy and his son Brien became good friends after that.

At 15 years of age I joined the local Newry Clanrye club, thius club disbanded and I moved on to Newry & District. From there the Ballyholland HPS was later formed and I have raced there since. Over the years and indeed more recently this great club is the most difficult to win and some fantastic lofts are members. We are all great mates and currently I fill the position as Chairman. I also fly with the Mighty NIPA and of course the all-Ireland Irish National Flying Club.

My loft is brick construction, double decker, its 32 x 9 Foot with stock down below and the racers up top. I also have a 8 x 6 Foot loft for Widowhood and two Young Bird lofts. One for the distance birds and the other one recently built to race some sprinters I have purchased.

Old birds are raced Roundabout but paired up for the Nationals. Young Birds are on Darkness and raced through the complete programme. Feeding is obtained from Frazer Feeds, the birds are mostly fed Breeders Elite right through to France. The Young Birds are fed Frazer YB Mix, they have Apple Cider Vinegar in the water and a sprinkle of Flax Oil on the feed.

Pigeons are treated Canker, Worms, and Coxi with a tablet and treted for Canker every four weeks when racing. Breeding starts when I am on Christmas Holidays with the stock birds, racers are paired up from 14th until 24th February.

My stock birds are mostly Alan Darragh of Cullybackey and Mick Conlon of Banbridge (his Gold Medal bird “Grove Hill Gold” and a hen from Davy Campbell’s Northbound x Achievement. These three birds are the foundation of my loft, I suppose after 20 years I think I Can safely call them my own bred Drumcove Lofts.
At club level my results are northing to shout about due to the quality of the membership, this is an issue I am striving to change. When it comes to France racing I sort of turn the balance slightly. Having said that some of the boys turn up some very good performances, there is always someone to put you back in your box.

Since 2004 through to 2016 I have clocked every year from the St Malo/Lamballe OB Nat, my best being 3rd Opern in 2007 and 2nd Open in 2012. I have won the NIPA Sect G on three occasions also including 2011 when I was 1st, 2nd & 3rd Sect G and 21st, 22nd & 28th Open St Malo clocking three birds in less than 5 minutes. I was also 105th and 151st Open in the same race from an entry of eight birds. The INFC Friendship Nat in 2012 is a race I will never forget, I was 1st Open INFC with “Drumcove Olympic Gold” on one of the worse racing nights I can remember. In this race I also won the Olympic Gold Medal with only 7 birds on the day and second day arrivals for me finished 69th and 99th Open.

After winning the Friendship Nat I scored again, although not as high up the result as 1st Open. 2013 – 13th & 34th Open Quimper, 2015 – 53rd & 84th Open Quimper, 2016 – 18th Open Quimper, 2018 – 74th Open Lamballe.

Kings Cup Grand National – Having clocked in a number of races for the Blue Riband of old bird racing, it was in 2015 that something special was about to take place.

Blue cock GB13B-***18 finished 107th Open INFC St Allouestre vel 1271. The Blue cock was sent back in 2016 this time beat by a loft-mate that finished 15th Open INFC St Allouestre vel 600. Blue cock GB13-***18 finished 27th Open INFC winning a Merit Award and a third bird finished 54th Open and was only fancier in Ireland to have three birds in the result. Moving on to 2017 he was again beaten by a loft-mate that finished 148th Open INFC St Allousetre vel 622. Blue cock GB13-***18 finished 162nd Open INFC and won the Hall of Fame Diploma. The decision was made and Blue cock GB13-***18 was prepared and sent back and timed to win 47th Open INFC St Allouestre vel 792. After winning the highly prized Gold Medal and Diploma the bird has been named “Drumcove Cheekey Boy”
These four years were some of the hardest Kings Cup events, only 70 odd birds home on occasions over this period. You have to experience it just to feel the emotion of the occasion. With no birds home on the first day, the minute he landed and knowing the way birds were arriving all day you knew fine well you had timed a gallant bird and a Champion. To be honest I was choking a bit, despite the emotion it was truly a great day. His sire is “Drumcove Allan” who when racing won 2nd Sect & 22nd Open St Malo and 1st Sect & 2nd Open St Malo. His dam was my own Friendship Nat winner “Drumcove Olympic Gold” which makes it all the more sweeter. Add all this to 2nd Open YB Nat Penzance 2017, 10th Open YB Nat Penzance 2017, and 11th Open Yearling National, it’s a grand time.

List of Achievements to date: Gold Medal, Hall of Fame Diploma, Olympic Gold Medal Quimper, 3 x Merit Awards, 7 x Bronze Awards and Runner-up for National Average in the INFC and De Scheemaecker Trophy.

I would like to thank both Alan Darragh andf Mick Conlon for putting me on the Road to France, both great flyiers in their own right and very knowledgable fanciers. To win a Gold Medal and join the list of elite lofts, it has to be my best achievement Only 13 winners since it was introduced it has proved to be a lucky number for me. President Davy Black was quick to congratulate me and having won the Gold Medal himself knows the level of this performance. Well done Aiden you are on a great run and no doubt more to come.

Aiden McAteer (l) collects the Gold Medal & Diploma from guest Phil Smith.

John Greenaway (r) collects the Gold Medal & Diploma from guest Anthony McDonnell.

N Black & Son collect the Gold Medal & Diploma from guest Allan McDonald.

Wesley Sawyers (l) collects the Gold Medal & Diploma from guest Allan McDonald.

Return to “Irish National Flying Club”