INFC Update - Ronnie Johnston (Patron)

It was in 1932 that His Majesty King George V presented a new cup to the Irish National Flying Club to be known as The King George V Challenge Cup and was to be awarded to the winner of the OB Grand National.

The 1932 Grand National race was flown from Les Sables at a distance of some 600 miles and the race was won by R Hawthorn from Ligoniel in North Belfast.This race was flown under IHU rules and it was not until 1948 that the Kings Cup was flown under IHU and RPRA rules.The race in 1948 was won by Sammy Robinson from Belfast.

The Irish National Flying Club have a six race programme for the 2020 season which enables its members to compete in the inland Nationals or over the channel at the very highest level. I hope you will enjoy using the website as it will be a source of information through out the season. Good luck to all members competing in this years Nationals. Ronnie Johnston Patron INFC.

The INFC has 2,100 members across Ireland. The 6 Race Programme includes the famous Kings Cup from France. Friendship Nat is also France, Ylr Nat Sennen Cove, YB Nat Penzance and OB and YB Nat from Skibbereen. Numerous other awards including Gold Medal, Hall of Fame Diploma, Triple Championship, Single Bird Challenge, 3 Bird Championship, Merit Awards etc. Results, Reports, Latest News etc. See Website http://www.irishnationalflyingclub.com or http://www.infc.co.uk
willie reynolds

INFC Update - Ronnie Johnston (Patron)

Post by willie reynolds »

THE FRENCH DIPLOMA - Sponsored by Ronnie Johnston

The French Diploma is one of the most coveted awards that we fly for in Ireland and for a very good reason. The diploma is awarded to the loft with the best Average from St Malo OB Derby/National and the Kings Cup. Over the years many of Ireland's top lofts have won this award and it is very much sought after to add to their CV.

With both races flown from France it has not been difficult to find the winner in most years. That has not been the case this season with three lofts in contention. I have been involved with this special award for over 30 years and can never remember such an exciting finish.

Let me give you details on the three lofts involved and their performances. Ronnie Williamson, Bondhill, 8th Open NIPA St Malo OB National (163 pts), 10th Open INFC Vannes Kings Cup (161 pts), total 324 pts, Jim Robinson, Edgarstown, 6th Open NIPA St Malo OB National (165 pts), 9th Open INFC Vannes Kings Cup (162 pts), total 327 pts; and the winner Robert Russell, Beech Park Social, 2nd Open NIPA St Malo National (169) pts, 5th open INFC Vannes Kings Cup (166 pts), total 335 pts.

Roberts's total points is only one short of the record set in 1988 by Allan McDonald of Portadown, the year that he won the Kings Cup from Rennes. Allan is a former secretary of the INFC and I always found it a great pleasure to work with him.

TRIPLE CROWN DIPLOMA

The irish National Flying have over the years introduced many exciting championships for its members to compete for. The Hall Of Fame Diploma, the Gold Medal Award, the Single Bird Championship and new in 2009 we have another one - the Triple Crown Diploma. Let me give you the back on the award. To win the Diploma a pigeon must be in the Open prize money in three succession Nationals - YB Channel National, Yearling National and finally the Kings Cup from France. The thought of winning one of these diplomas would make the hair stand on the back of your head. I have taken a keen interest in this new Championship having put it forward to the INFC general committee.

I am aware of at least 10 pigeons going for the third leg this year and my congratulations to Tommy McClean of Annaghmore on winning the Triple Crown Diploma with his 2yo blue hen. In 2007 as a YB she won 5th Open Sennen Cove YB National and it was a very hard race. The second leg was from Sennen Cove Yearling National when she won 138th Open. Tommy was confident that she would do well from the Vannes Kings Cup race and she was his Single Bird Championship nomination. The hen was to fly another great race winning 30th Open clinching the Triple Crown award and for good measure finished 3rd Open in the Single Bird Challenge, Sennen Cove 303 miles - Vannes 488 miles - total winnings 2,000 pounds and I think she has earned the Champion prefix. The hen is a soontjen x Hartog with the Soontjen from Derek Parr and the Hartog through Henry McLoughlin.

When the award went through the committee, it was agreed that the pigeon must win the Diploma in three successive years and little did we know at that stage it would be possible to shortcut this criteria and this is exactly what Glen Buckley & son Johnathan achieved from the Vannes Kings Cup race. This blue w/f yearling hen won 134th Open Sennen Cove YB National and this year was sent to the Sennen Cove Yearling National winning 26th Open. The Buckley's then sent her to the Kings Cup race and she was to fly a blinder winning 2nd Open and 2,670 pounds bringing her total winnings in excess of 3,000 pounds. This super hen is three quarters Soontjen with the other side being the old mealy cock owned by Glen's late father Sam. The Buckley hen has achieved the Triple Crown in three successive races and not in three successive years.

The committee will need to decide at its next meeting if the criteria and working needs to be changed for the 2010 National season. Tommy McClean and Glen Buckley both fly in the Annaghmore club and it may be the air in that part of the country but whatever it is these are two world class hens.

For those that are interested in the statistics of the Kings Cup let me give you some interesting figures. 250 Open prizes - the age groups: 33 yearlings, 87 2yos, 76 3 yos, 23 4 yos, 15 5yos, six 6 yos, four 7yos, two 8yos and one nine yo.

McCLOUD CUP

This cup was presented to the INFC by the late Jack McCloud of Newtownards in 1993, to be won by the 1st yearling from the Kings Cup race. The first winners being the Portadown partnership of N Ferguson & son in 32nd Open. The next two years saw two top ten finishes, Robin Duddy of Ballyclare 4th Open, Livingstone Bros 10th Open. In 1996 Jimmy Mount, Milltown, won 67th Open, the following year Billy McIIroy, Ballymena was 44th Open. Then followed two more top ten finishes, Gary Benson, Derriaghy, 10th Open and H Gormley & son, Monaghan 5th Open. In 2000 B&H Spence, Lisburn won 14th Open. No race in 2001 and the following year A Whelan, Enniscorthy won 6th Open. The first Belfast loft to win the cup was Jim McAlorum of Grosvenor in 17th Open 2003.

The next three Kings Cup races saw a series of remarkable results from the yearlings. 2004 Tommy Cairns & son, Glengormley, 7th Open; 2005 Paddy Rock & son Martin, Skerries 2nd Open; 2006 Tommy Moorehouse, Rathen 5th Open. No race in 2007 and 2008. History was made this year and a new record set when Tommy Moorehouse won the cup for the second time and didn't he do it in style, 1st Open.

The cup has been competed for 14 times and nine times a yearling has been in the top 10. I hope you enjoyed that information. Before I leave the McCloud Cup did you notice that the last three winners have all won the Kings Cup.

Return to “Irish National Flying Club”