St Cleres (Wales) - Thursday 30/05/19

This board will carry all info relating to the IHU National Flying Club including results with the excellent support of the Secretary Ken Knight.
willie reynolds

St Cleres (Wales) - Thursday 30/05/19

Post by willie reynolds »

The Irish Homing Union National Flying Club held their second race of the season from St Cleres in Wales, released on Thursday 30th of May at nine thirty, after a one day hold over due to poor weather conditions.

This was always going to be a tough test for the convoy, as the majority of the pigeons would be expected to fly due east into a very strong west south westerly wind, the exceptions being the birds from the Dublin area that might be able to take some advantage of the little south that was in the wind, and of course the Dungarvan, Cork birds that would find it much more difficult flying directly into the face of the wind.

The first birds, as expected were clocked into Dublin to the Lofts of M Byrne & sons in Ringsend, taking provisional 1st section A 1st Open vel 1106ypm. Next in 2nd sect A and provisionally 2nd Open we had J&J Carabini on 1068ypm, then 3rd Section A 3rd Open goes to Hill & Mason on 1036ypm.

Surprisingly the next few birds Were clocked into the South of the country, in particular two very brave birds got into the Dungarvan area flying every inch of the race into a very strong west south westerly wind.

Taking first section D and provisionally 4th Open was the loft of Sean Leahy & son closely followed by octogenarian Mick Mullcathy taking 2nd section D.
In 3rd Section D we have John Collins from the Tower Inv club in Waterford city. John's bird is a two year old cock and is bred from a Jannsen sire and the dam is Leo Van Rjin, this was it's first time across the water.

1st section C probable 7th Open on a velocity of 643ypm goes to J & J Hammond from Dunlavin who fly with the Barrow Valley RPC in Carow, John's bird was a yearling cock bred from birds he obtained from Mick Miler from Clondalkin, the cock is three parts Scammell & Peploe, Nearly cock lines, and 1 part Jimmy Roy, the paternal grand sire being a winner from Barcelona for Jimmy.

2nd section C was recorded by Angelo Marcella from Rathcoole, who flies with the Naas club, the bird, a 2 year old Mealy Pied cock was having its first race of the season, he is bred through the best Staf Van Reet lines of Onario Rocca, Carlow, when paired to a home bred Soontjen, although he has been well raced, this is his first turn in the top flight.

3rd section C goes to Colin Nolan, Carlow with a two year old hen that had just taken a prize from Talbenny on the Saturday previous to this race, Colin is a hard task master and his birds have to toe the line, and thats why he is often found at the top end of the sheet in these difficult races.

John Hammond, 1st section C, St Cleres.

Red yearling cock, 6th Section A, St Cleres for Alan Knowles.

Sean Leahy, Dungarvan, 1st section D, St Cleres.

John Collins, Waterford, 3rd section D, St Cleres.

Mealy Pied cock, 2nd section C, for Angelo Marcella, Naas RPC.

Mick Mullcathy, Dungarvan, 2nd section D, St Cleres.

Colin Nolan, Carlow, 3rd section C, St Cleres.

Our driver and convoyer for the St Cleres race, Jimmy Cummins and Richie Mullane, Cork.

Ian Harty, with his young daughter, 1st Section, 1st Open from Valentia (1).

10) Blue hen, 1st section D, 1st Open, Valentia (1) for Ian Harty, Dungarvan.

In my last report the two photos of the winner of 1st Open Valentia (1) Ian Harty and his winning blue hen, were omitted, so I have included them in this report, apologies Ian.

Our next race will be another Inland event from Valentia, and oweing to the success of the last Inland race, it is expecred that the birdage will be much improved for this one.

Please can members that finish in the first three in their respective sections, Get in touch as quickly as possible after the race, with some info and a photo of their winners, the provisional result is always published on the night of the race, so there is no excuse for not getting in touch on the contacts below.
Obviously, if I don't hear from the winners, then I can't include any information on them in a report, apart from what I can glean off the result sheet myself.

Any news, and or photos, to.
Francismartincorcoran@gmail.com
whatsapp 00353852047610
Phone No : 00353599145419
Francis Corcoran.

Return to “Irish Homing Union National Flying Club”