AGM in Glenavy 08/02/20 -

The NIPA was founded in 1945 and it's membership was open to all members within Northern Ireland - We are one of the largest weekly convoying organisations in the UK. Presently we have approx. 100 clubs as members, with over 2,000 members. Birds competing each week can reach 25 to 30 thousand, depending on the race. The race programme starts in Ireland down to Rosscarbery and continues through Wales & England to Penzance, and the Premier OB Nat flown from St Malo (France).
willie reynolds

AGM in Glenavy 08/02/20 -

Post by willie reynolds »

AGM for Mighty NIPA -

The 75th AGM will be held in the Protestant Hall Glenavy on Saturday 8th February 2020 commencing at 2.00pm sharp. It should be noted that only Delegates can vote or enter into the business of the meeting. Official Delegate Cards will be required in the recording of votes, and no discussion on Resolutions. Note: All Clubs must hold a meeting on the Resolutions and mandate their Delegate(s) on how to cast their vote and a letter of confirmation that each Delegate(s) club had held a club meeting to vote on Resolutions being produced at the AGM.

Resolution details submitted by NIPA Committee

Resolution No 1
Amend General Rule No 7 to read – The Rules & Disciplinary Committee shall deal with Disputes, Grievances and Complaints. Their decisions shall be binding on all parties subject to the right of Appeal to the Royal Pigeon Racing Association.

Resolution No 2
Amend General Rule 13b to read – If as a result of an investigation by the NIPA Committee into a Club Result, it is found that the club has not adhered to of carried out RPRA Rules and NIPA Rules, the club and all its members shall be disqualified from racing/competing with a number of races as determined by the NIPA Committee.

Resolution No 3
To correct an error at leaving the following rule out of the 2018/19 Rule Book. This rule will now be known as General Rule 34. That before racing commences all clubs must ensure that there are at least 5 NIPA Members present before Race Marking commences and through-out the Race Marking procedure. The 5 NIPA Members must all have separate IR Numbers and these will have to be recorded on the Transporter Envelope and forwarded via the transporter to the NIPA Headquarters. Failure to comply with this rule in its entirety will mean disqualification from the race.

Resolution No 3a
Amend General Rule 17 to read – All birds race marked as per General Rule 34 and convoyed by the NIPA from a member club shall compete in their club and the NIPA. All documentation to be returned to the NIPA Secretary.

Resolution No 3b
To correct an error in the NIPA Rule Book - Rule 34 will now be known as General Rule 85.

Resolution No 4
Delete General Rule 23 in its entirety. General Rule 23 states that the NIPA will introduce the NIPA 3 Bird Championship Club.

Resolution No 5
Amend General Rule 39to read – In young bird races a member is permitted to have their own crates in the first seven Irish Races only. The remainder of races you are not permitted your own crate under any circumstances. In all Young Bird Nationals and 5 Bird Championship Races pigeons will be Race Marked at Centres.

Resolution No 6
That all members can purchase their own hampers for the first four old bird Irish Races only. In all other club races pigeons must be spread as evenly as possible over all the crates. In National, Classic and Championship Races pigeons will be Race Marked at Centres.

Resolution No 7
Delete General Rule 3b and replace with a New Rule 3b. All Sections will be guaranteed 2 Committee Members no matter how many members are in their Section up to 100 Members. Any Section with over 100 Members would be guaranteed 1 Additional Committee Member for every Full 50 Members. I.e. 150 Members is 3 Committee Members, 200 Members is 4 Committee Members.

Resolution No 8
Amend General Rule 22a – All Members of Clubs including Life and Non Flying Members must pay NIPA and RPRA Membership Fees.

Secretary Report

The 2019 season is over and we look forward to 2020. Last season proved to be a very difficult year for racing pigeon’s especially young birds. The old bird season proved to be challenging at times weather conditions were not very helpful and some races proved to be more difficult than others. The young bird season right from the very start of racing proved to be a disaster for the Nipa financially. Thousands of pigeons lost before racing commenced, Sickness seems to be everywhere and many different strains of it. Members not racing young birds all adding up to poor entries.

It is not viable for seven transporters and all their relevant costs to collect 14/16 THOUSAND PIGEONS. Five transporters with a capacity of holding 25 thousand pigeons would be enough unfortunately under the present structure this would be impossible to do. I have had discussions with the transport manager and we believe it is possible to collect all club`s pigeons with six transporters it will have an effect on some club`s collection times some more than others. If this can be achieved with the minimal of disruption we could save around £10,000 plus on expenses. The transport manager is presently looking at options available to us so that we can plan for the future, he will report to the committee in due course I would like to take this opportunity to thank Paul and his drivers for the excellent work carried out on our behalf during the season and I would also like it to be put to bed that there is no truth in the rumours that are being spread about that the birds being released early to suit the drivers, total nonsense. Drivers have to stay within the restrictive laws that governs their ability to drive, they must take their breaks they cannot leave the release site as soon as the birds are released. They return to the Nipa office around Five to Six pm on release day in Ireland sometimes later.

Pigeon racing is changing at an alarming rate. Not always for the good we are losing members’ and club`s in ever increasing number`s and this will continue, prices being paid for pigeon`s are mind blowing, the sport is now an expensive one and there seems to be no end to it. I remember paying £5.00 for a young Krauth hen from my very good friend the late Jimmy Quinn of Dundrum which bred me winners galore from Arklow to Rennes and I will remember her always. Those day`s will never return and I honestly believe the fanciers of my generation not knowing at the time experienced the best of what our sport has to offer.

During the year the Nipa lost a past President OWEN DONNELLY of Larne. Owen served our sport well a true gentleman and our organisation and the members of Larne are much poorer for his passing. To his wife Nancy and family we all send our sincere condolences. Our chairman Ken Wilkinson has struggled with poor health all season, this has not affected his enthusiasm for the Sport, he still works tirelessly for our Organisation and all its members, His health is stable and he is in good form. I was speaking to him this morning and he wishes you all a happy New Year and enjoy a wonderful season in 2020. Your committee has to be thanked for the immense work carried out on your behalf during the season. They will have to tackle some difficult decisions as we go forward and I am sure they will appreciate any constructive advice given to them. I personally would like to thank them all for their assistance given to me it is very much appreciated. Also to the club secretaries treasures and members without your assistance and cooperation the Nipa would not be the organisation it is in today.

There is one thing every club must do immediately Lodge their intent with the Rpra Ceo Mr Ian Evans by sending an e mail to him stating your club name and ir number confirming your interest in using the New RPRA result programme. If the Nipa confirms it will be using this method to produce open and section results in 2020 and you are not registered your club will not be able to take part in the result. The NIPA is still examining the programme, but you must register now if you have any problems or do not understand what is going on please do not hesitate to contact me.

The NIPA was formed in 1945 before many of us were born and not to many original members are still with us. The NIPA will be 75 years old in 2020. Over the years the Nipa has gone from strength to strength sadly like many organisations in our sport the numbers are in decline, we will never reach the heights of 35.000 pigeons being released each week, but we have achieved a lot over the years opening up our Organisation to all parts of Northern Ireland and to members in Monaghan and Donegal a truly inclusive organisation, Members can be old and young, Male and Female, Different Nationalities and religions as long as you have the interest of a truly magnificent, intelligent and beautiful Bird at heart we will all be true friends for life. Next year 2020 which will have arrived when you are reading this report, the NIPA will be 75 years old and we would like assistance from everyone to make it a year to remember. We would like you all to assist in obtaining sponsorship for races and yes we have already received promises of new sponsorship it cannot be all left to a few . If you have any suggestions in organising events they will be most welcome and if you wish to volunteer your assistance it will be very much appreciated.

At the time of preparing this report I have not received confirmation from the committee regarding resolutions etc. as soon as I have them I will include them in my report I do have a set of your accounts for 2020 and they do look quite good after such a difficult year. This would not be the case if the committee had not done such an excellent job in putting measures in place to balance the books.

I will start with the General Account which thanks to keeping the expense side down to a minimum we had a surplus of £6508.65 You will see a sharp decline in pools and prize money due to less birds being entered in all National, Classic races something you will require to look at for season 2020 All outstanding cheques for prize money in 2017 have now been written of totalling £1357.91. 2018 cheques and 2019 cheques will still be honoured but remember your rule after 12 months and they have not been cashed they will be deleted If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

The Transport account again in good shape with a surplus of £119,19.38 Very little money has been spent this year on repairs to crates I am told there is a mountain of them requiring repair before the next season. The cost could exceed £500 Pigeon line is now no longer with us in the past it served us well Again any queries please feel free to contact me The BALANCE SHEET is self-explanatory your Capital account the amount your organisation is worth on paper is £633,765.54 The Balance sheet shows your organisation is still very strong and in good shape, your transport manager may spend up to £100,000.00 plus in 2020 thankfully you can afford it.

We have lost three club`s as we go forward into 2020 that simply means a substantial loss in revenue add on the number of member`s leaving the sport I would estimate a decrease of around 8 to 10 Thousand pounds wiping out what we would hope to save in the removal of one lorry from our fleet
The committee have met and discussed all the varied suggested race programmes submitted to them in their opinion none of them would receive a majority vote and have decided the Old Bird Race Programme for 2020 will be the same as 2019. The release point at Bude is no longer fit for releasing our pigeons and we are looking for a replacement.

The committee at the moment have adopted two resolutions for the Agm more may follow A resolution from Ligoniel to allow all club`s and their members to purchase their own crates for the first 4 OLD BIRD RACES, I believe this procedure was permitted in 2019 The rule governing young bird racing remains the same A resolution from the committee to delete GENERAL Rule 3b and replace with a new rule 3b All Sections would be guaranteed two committee members no matter how many members are in their section up to 100 members. Any section with over 100members would be guaranteed one additional committee member for every full 50 members i.e. 150 members 3 committee members 200 members 4 committee members. This is simply to reflect on the decrease in membership in all sections and will keep the representation fair for all PS Your committee are still considering your young bird programme and it will be announced in plenty of time.

This just leaves me to thank our outgoing President Mr Samuel Briggs for all of his assistance over the past two years and welcome our new President Mr David Mawhinney and hope he enjoys his experience over the next two years In ending my report I wish you all a most enjoyable season in 2020.
willie reynolds

Re: AGM in Glenavy 08/02/20 -

Post by willie reynolds »

75th AGM of the NIPA held in Glenavy -

The 75th AGM for the Mighty NIPA was held in Glenavy on Saturday 8th February, Chairman Ken Wilkinson was unable to attend and the Vice-chair Pat McLaughlin from Maiden City in Derry called the meeting to order just after 2.00pm and asked the members to stand for a minute and observe silence in respect of members and friends who had passed away in the last year. That included in the past week two members in my area of coverage Jim Speirs and John McFadden. Speirs & Campbell who race in Cookstown have a distance record second to none, many top positions from France and the top highlight in 2015 winning 1st & 8th Open NIPA St Malo OB Nat plus the 2 Bird Average. I noticed a report on Sunday that the loft had been broken into overnight, a very sad state of affairs. John McFadden passed away after a short illness, he was in partnership with Matt Wray and over 40 years scored many top positions in Harryville. Matt himself continues to supply top birds to many friends, a gift pair of Soontjen produced a 1st Open NIPA for Coyle Bros of the Maiden City in the opening race for the NIPA from Mullingar in April and his bloodlines have been involved with some of the birds timed recently from France by James Walker of Ballymoney. Success from the shortest to the longest races, out of France, and no doubt, more to come for Matt who is totally dedicated and a founder member in Harryville HPS.

The Secretary Fred Russell was invited to read the minutes of the previous AGM, which were passed without question, no matters arising.

Item 2 & 3 the Secretary Report and Accounts copies of which had been distributed to local clubs earlier in the year were passed, with some discussion on why race programme was not confirmed for young bird racing. Two programmes had been submitted before the deadline but did not meet the required criteria as per the rules. The feeling of the committee had been they were best placed to set out a programme in the best interests of the organisation, some at the meeting were of the opinion it should be a decision for the entire membership as had usually been done. On the accounts some general discussion on the financial standing of the organisation, it was thought in the future banks might be charging to look after our money. Some money has been released to update the fleet, the oldest transporter will be coming off and some changes will be made to collections. Birdage last year especially in young birds was well down and general cleaning of crates was discussed and that clubs should spray them weekly.

Under AOB for 2019 members were updated on the new RPRA Results system a number of clubs have still not registered and they should do so. It was thought it will take some time to implement the new system and to provide training for club personnel, modern technology is the way to go and it might be necessary to engage with an expert to assist.

After a year free of charge the new RPRA Insurance for 2020 is to be charged at an additional £2 for each individual member of the RPRA fees, which are now £12. It appears to cover everything outside the clubhouse itself, but I think we need to find out for sure that any claims from either North or South of Ireland will be covered.

Clubs resigned include Abby Social, Glen Inv, South Belfast and Dunedin. There was a lot of discussion on the 75th Anniversary Year and a lot of ideas put forward both in fund raising for each Section, sponsorship general, a number promised already, and Steve McGarry has offered to provide a platform for a sale on his Pigeon Craic site. The suggestion was that we possibly have 2 Ladies Night events, a Celebration and then a Presentation. Guests would probably be invited from the RPRA. There will be a big load of work during 2020. Any help or suggestions, or sponsorship, would be greatly appreciated.

Members should note the new fees for 2020, NIPA membership fee increased to £32 per individual loft and club fee to £31. All clubs must register with the RPRA regarding the club results programme, a number are still missing.

Item 5. Was the election of officers for 2020, all offices were declared vacant and first job of the retiring President Samuel Briggs was to install the new President representing Sect E, David Mawhinney of Beechpark Social. The new President thanked the members and said he would assist all members as best he could over the next two seasons while holding office. As is the custom the new President conducted the remainder of offices assisted by Secretary Fred Russell. Very few changes were the order of the day.

Patron Sammy Thompson (Coleraine & County Derry), President David Mawhinney (Beechpark Social), Senior Vice President for Sect F Paddy Murray (Killyleagh). Life Vice-Presidents are A McDonnell (Coleraine Prem), D Carson (Banbridge HPS), M Livingstone (Portadown & Drumcree), H McVeigh (Killyleagh), V Thom (Cookstown), H Boyd (Coalisland), A Darragh (Cullybackey), R Reid (Carrick & District), and S Briggs (Lisburn & Dist).

Chairman Ken Wilkinson (New Antrim) had been opposed by Cormac O’Hare of Ballyholland but won the vote 54-4, Vice Chairman P McLaughlin (Maiden City), Financial Secretary F Russell (Dromore WE), Assistant Secretary G McEvoy (Beechpark Soc), Fleet Supervisor Paul Howard (Coleraine), Convoyer Pat McNeice (Annaghmore), Race Controller Jim Ramsey Derry & District), assisted by K Wilkinson, and G Hughes. Press Officers W Reynolds (Ballymena & Dist), and S McGarry (Horseshoe). RPRA Delegates – C O’Hare (Ballyholland), S Briggs (Lisburn & Dist). Auditors G McG (Portadown).

The Finance & General Purposes Management Committee were elected, only changes were in Sect B who now just have 3.
Sect A – H Boyd (Dungannon), J Hanson (Coleraine Prem). Sect B – Sam Murphy (Muckamore), J Steele (Rasharkin), K Kernohan (Harryville). Sect C – W McClelland (Doagh & Dist), D Campbell (Eastway), G Robinson (Carrick Soc), W Seaton (Ligoniel). Sect D – J Conlane (Kingswood). Sect E – K Henderson (Lurgan Soc), J Parr (Edgarstown), S Corrigan (Loughgall), G O’Dowd (Gilford & Dist. Sect F – P Murray (Killyleagh), V Pollock (Ards). Sect G – B Durkin (Newry), G Delaney (Dromore). Sect H – P McLoughlin (Maiden City), J Ramsey (Derry & Dist), G Quinn (Omagh).

All the resolutions on the agenda bar one carried with a big vote, Resolution 3a was ruled out of order but no doubt will be looked at again and fixed.

Resolution details submitted by NIPA Committee

Resolution No 1
Amend General Rule No 7 to read – The Rules & Disciplinary Committee shall deal with Disputes, Grievances and Complaints. Their decisions shall be binding on all parties subject to the right of Appeal to the Royal Pigeon Racing Association. For 69, Against 2.

Resolution No 2
Amend General Rule 13b to read – If as a result of an investigation by the NIPA Committee into a Club Result, it is found that the club has not adhered to of carried out RPRA Rules and NIPA Rules, the club and all its members shall be disqualified from racing/competing with a number of races as determined by the NIPA Committee. For 65, Against 5.

Resolution No 3
To correct an error at leaving the following rule out of the 2018/19 Rule Book. This rule will now be known as General Rule 34. That before racing commences all clubs must ensure that there are at least 5 NIPA Members present before Race Marking commences and through-out the Race Marking procedure. The 5 NIPA Members must all have separate IR Numbers and these will have to be recorded on the Transporter Envelope and forwarded via the transporter to the NIPA Headquarters. Failure to comply with this rule in its entirety will mean disqualification from the race. For 72, Against 2.

Resolution No 3a
Amend General Rule 17 to read – All birds race marked as per General Rule 34 and convoyed by the NIPA from a member club shall compete in their club and the NIPA. All documentation to be returned to the NIPA Secretary. Ruled Out of Order.

Resolution No 3b
To correct an error in the NIPA Rule Book - Rule 34 will now be known as General Rule 85. For 71, Against 0.

Resolution No 4
Delete General Rule 23 in its entirety. General Rule 23 states that the NIPA will introduce the NIPA 3 Bird Championship Club. For 71, Against 1.

Resolution No 5
Amend General Rule 39to read – In young bird races a member is permitted to have their own crates in the first seven Irish Races only. The remainder of races you are not permitted your own crate under any circumstances. In all Young Bird Nationals and 5 Bird Championship Races pigeons will be Race Marked at Centres. For 69, Against 2.

Resolution No 6
That all members can purchase their own hampers for the first four old bird Irish Races only. In all other club races pigeons must be spread as evenly as possible over all the crates. In National, Classic and Championship Races pigeons will be Race Marked at Centres. For 60, Against 13.

Resolution No 7
Delete General Rule 3b and replace with a New Rule 3b. All Sections will be guaranteed 2 Committee Members no matter how many members are in their Section up to 100 Members. Any Section with over 100 Members would be guaranteed 1 Additional Committee Member for every Full 50 Members. I.e. 150 Members is 3 Committee Members, 200 Members is 4 Committee Members. For 68, Against 5.

Resolution No 8
Amend General Rule 22a – All Members of Clubs including Life and Non Flying Members must pay NIPA and RPRA Membership Fees. For 56, Against 11.

HOMER. Willie Reynolds
Tel/Fax: (028) 256 44683
Mobile: 07538 238364
Twitter: willie reynolds@homerbhw
Email: homerbhw@gmail.com
www.pigeonnetwork.com
www.irishnationalflyingclub.com
www.niparacingpigeons.co.uk

Samuel Briggs (r) hands over chain of office to the new NIPA President
Davy Mawhinney from Beechpark Social representing Section E.

Speirs & Campbell finished 1st & 8th Open NIPA St Malo OB Nat in 2015 and won 2 Bird Average.

Return to “Northern Ireland Provincial Amalgamation (NIPA)”