Derek Tierney featured by Jimmy Hamilton -

The Irish South Road Federation (ISRF) was formed in 1968 and currently has approximately 800 racing members/partnerships in over thirty clubs. The federation covers an area from Wicklow to Monaghan, with the majority of the members located in the Dublin region The weekly races have approx 8,000 to 14,000 birds competing in the inland races, and 2000 to 4000 approx birds competing in the six channel races. Depending on where the birds cross, they will fly between 60 and 100 miles approximately from England (the Irish Channel) and over 600 miles from France (St Malo) to Dublin. The ISRF has four 40 foot transporters with a carrying capacity of nearly 17,000 birds at 20 birds per crate. For all the latest News and Results on the Federation click here.
willie reynolds

Derek Tierney featured by Jimmy Hamilton -

Post by willie reynolds »

A great little post by Jimmy Hamilton on my pigeon was only talking to a friend about this pigeon and he asked me why she never got the credit she deserves I said it’s Simple one of the Top lofts don’t own her it’s not what you no in this Game it’s who simple as that but one things for sure there’s very few of them so called top lofts have a hen good enough to sit on my Hens Eggs, good Read thanks jimmy.

Just seen this post and taught to myself is this the good hen that Derek Tierney raced so I had a look and seen that it is indeed. Now lads I have to say that this is a very special hen in my eyes given that this is two INFC national races and shes on the button in both of them and in two totally different conditions .Unless Im mistaken this hen was 1st middle section and 10th open overall in the youngbird national in 2017 when in fact she Shouldn’t Have Even Been In The Result given that the wind that day was coming from the west and this favors the flyers on the east coast in a big way and we have seen this many many times over the years when the east coast would clean out the national in this wind and in this national looking at the result the east coast take about 85 % or more of all the positions so Dereks hen on the day must have raced her heart out . Then in 2018 here she is again and in a head wind and she very nearly won it out right 1st middle section and 2nd open overall .This is a quality hen in my eyes and I havent even looked at any other results that she may have . Birds that hit the top of national results like this are special as lets not forget there is only one young bird Skibereen national every year and one old bird Skibereen so its either get in the top results or its over for another year . Well done Derek you have a good hen on your hands there.When it comes to people buying pigeons I see almost daily where people spend thousands of euros on shit and pass by real good birds for handy money . I see lads who race against myself spending thousands to race against myself and I often wonder do they never think why I dont have these fancy named pigeons ? do they think that I cant afford them or something , its funny as I can fill my loft with these fancy names for nothing but I dont as they dont appeal to me as I know I wont be able to win with most of them .Some people dont even look properly at results and take into account loft location and wind direction which plays such a very big part especially from a short distance race . Good hen Derek fair play.

Pearls Angel” 1st Middle Sect Skibbereen 2017 & 2018 for Derek Tierney of Sarsfield RPC in Dublin. Photo Eddie Barry.

Return to “Irish South Road Federation”