Loft Feature Gary Gibson, Cullybackey HPS -

Homer's Odyssey - News From Around Ireland by Willie Reynolds BHW & RP Scribe and PO for NIPA, INFC and RPRA (Irish Region).
willie reynolds

Loft Feature Gary Gibson, Cullybackey HPS -

Post by willie reynolds »

Over recent seasons Gary Gibson is getting a mention regarding stock he has supplied to various lofts that are scoring some top results, he himself can put up a top result as well not easy in a club like Cullybackey where racing for many years has been dominated by Alan Darragh, one of the best lofts in Ireland racing in both the NIPA and I believe has 6 x 1sts in the INFC including the Kings Cup and a record 1st, 2nd and 3rd Open in the Yearling National. A number of years back Gary Gibson left the sport and we were pleased to conduct a very successful sale at Blackpool Show. He was scoring top results then and is still doing so today. His loft location might be in a bit of favoured site, the other side of the road is the loft of club-mate James Greer who has also won the Kings Cup.

LOFT FEATURE

Q1. When started racing, what club and was any family involved? Why did you start in the pigeons and what birds did you start with?

I Started racing in the 2000 season joining Cullybackey when moving to a new address at Hiltonstown Road in Portglenone. Just across the road was the loft of James Greer a long time member in Cullybackey and a former chairman of the club. Jimmy won the Blue Riband of the sport the King V Challenge Cup with his Champion Rachel in 2004 from Messac at 527 miles.

Q2. What organizations do you fly with currently?

Race with both the NIPA and Irish Nat FC, also a member of the local Mid Antrim Combine.

Q3. Your Loft, Structure, length and how many?

All told I have five lofts, all with aviary attached. Main lofts are 70 x 6ft and the young bird loft would measure 21 x 7ft.

Q4. Racing/training methods for old birds and young birds. Do you put YB’s on Darkness System, and what about Old Birds – Widowhood, Roundabout or just Natural?

Old birds are mostly raced Widowhood, and the young birds would usually be darkened. The old birds would get would get up to 8 or 10 training tosses prior to racing. For the youngsters I like to get as many training tosses as possible, and a few times on the local transporter for further education.

Q5. Feeding and systems etc over the season?

Old birds and young birds are fed twice a day using the best corns on the market, I especially like Vanrobaeys and Beyers

Q6. Treatments, what and when used? Do you use Vitamins, if so what?

Moxidectin for worms prior to pairing, very important for internal and external parasites. Also Baycox is on hand if ever needed for cocci with Metronidazd for canker. Vitamins are used also, Pre and Pro Biotics and plenty of Tea during the moult.

Q7. Breeding info when done etc.? - now that the rings are available before Christmas.

Pigeons are paired late November, early December each year.

Q8. Birds at stock, strains kept and families etc.?

I have the best Willy van Hercks via Robert Rea of Larne and P & J Boal from Dromore, Stickers Donckers, and top Lambrechts via Danny Dixon of Dunloy. I have also a number of children bred from 1st National winners from Jimmy Rock and Robert Rea.

Q9. Racing results over the years – Club, Sect & Combine and best Open positions with NIPA & INFC?

From Mullingar in 2006 – 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Club; 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th MAC (2,324 birds); 2nd, 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th Section; 2nd, 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th, 11th, and 13th Open Area Lib (4,362 birds). Before ETS came out, it’s a lot easier clocking now! Also remember Rosscarbery OB Inl National after a four day hold-over winning 1st Club, 1st Combine, 2nd Sect & 18th Open NIPA.

Q10. Outstanding racer’s, and stock birds since starting the sport?

“Hillview Star” was a winner of 6 x 1st Club, and 3 x 1st Mid Antrim Combine up to 3,000 birds. Sire to 2nd Combine 1,920 birds beat by loft-mate. “Classy Lady” was Mid Antrim Combine Old Bird of the Year in 2017. Winner of 2 x 1st MAC, 2nd MAC beat by loft-mate and 3rd MAC. Dam to 1st Club, 2nd Combine, 2nd Sect B and 10th Open NIPA Penzance plus 1st Club, 2nd Combine, 2nd Sect B & 5th Open NIPA Penzance OB Classic.

Q11. What about cross channel racing both old bird and young bird?

Two club winners of note, firstly in the NIPA Talbenny YB National 1st Club, 5th Combine, 5th Sect B & 18th Open NIPA and then the Penzance Old Bird Classic, 1st Club, 2nd Combine, 2nd Sect B & 5th Open NIPA.

Q12. Any positions held past or present? – Any work covered at the club?

Generally helping basketing of the birds and taking my turn preparing race crates and loading transporter.

Q13. Special mention of anyone who helped, or influenced you in the sport? Any views for the future?

Alan Darragh especially, supplying me with my first loft and Jimmy Greer also Jimmy Rock, Danny Dixon, Robert Rea, Colin McBride and A & M Kerr for some super pigeons.

Q14. Last but not least your best result, and what was biggest disappointment in the sport?

Best result would probably have been in a hard Talbenny YB National from South Wales winning 1st & 2nd Club, 1st & 2nd Mid Antrim Combine, 1st & 2nd Sect B and 21st & 30th Open NIPA recording velocities 1122 and 1110.

Q15. Anything I missed you would like to mention? Another quiet and dedicated fancier, has youth on his side and I am sure the best has yet to come. HOMER.

Gary Gibson holding an ace bird at the lofts in Portglenone.

The Golden Couple top Stickers Donckers.

“Wonderboy 219”

Return to “Homer's Odyssey”