The Latest from Bilco

The articles displayed within the Bilco's Bulletin area off the forum have been retyped by one of our pigeonnetwork.com editorial team in the interests of promoting the sport of pigeon racing in Ireland with the prior approval of late Bill Cowell, for the enjoyment of our many loyal members around the world who don't have access to the Racing Pigeon Weekly.
Administrator
Site Admin

The Latest from Bilco

Post by Administrator »

BBC Bordeaux

Because of factors beyond my control, my mainframe PC expired just before the birds were liberated, and the new laptop I had purchased last week for personnel details became my link to the world. That, coupled with the holdover and lack of phone numbers to go with early birds, meant that I had five minutes to write a full report on the race. Sadly I cannot do miracles these days, so this brief is for the time being anyway! The winner, 1st Sect D and 1st Open Mick Carrick of Chesham, Bucks, really expected to do well. The full brother of this blue pied 2yo Litherland x Jaap Jan Gerijk was 2nd Open NFC Messac last month, and this winner was 3rd Sect, 25th Open Portois only weeks ago. Doing a vel of 1261 and arriving just at teatime, he certainly didn't let Mick down. To round things of nicely, his sister is 2nd Sect D, 4th Open too. Naturally he was pooled all the way. Mick said he felt so good about the bird that Xd everything in sight on the entry form. One of the old school, 47 year old Mick has been into pigeons since the age of three when he followed his father around the loft with his bucket and spade to scrape out at Stockton on Tees, where they used to live.

Has Anyone Got...

A copy of a book called the Public Life of Street Pigeons by one Eric Simms, written about the mid 1970's? Karen wants it. Give us a shout if you have a copy going spare, reasonable price offered.

Sorry...

About the erratic story, I've been in hospital for another of those irritable operations. It was my gall-bladder last time, this one was to chop half the inside of my schnozzle away, it makes me sore terribly apparently. (Im deaf). I recall way back in 1972, Alf Nield (then RSM of the RCMP) and I were staying in Shotten Barracks overnight while we attended the Dusseldorf Olympiade in Germany, and the barracks were exactly opposite the Messe Halle. Alf asked me to excuse him when we turned in, having to share the same room, because he snored. I replied Ok, mate so do I apparently. I slept like a top, and when I woke at 7.00 am the following morning, there was Alf with a huge cigarette tray full of butts, and a cloud of smoke round his grot. You awake? he rasped, so I nodded and stretched. Thank God he says, Now I can get some sleep, what a bloody racket, Hell be pleased to hear that I am now having the op I feel sure.

Obituary...

Another giant of the sport left us recently when Piet de Weerdt passed away. I recall how, in 1968, he was a guest at the old Gazette's Garden Party Day of the Champions which used to be held in the grounds of the late S W E Bishop's million pound home Redferns in St George's Hill, Weybridge every summer after the Grand National had been flown, and guests were invited to bring their Champion long distance pigeons along to compete for the trophy. Piet de Weerdt was the judge that particular year, and Jack Adams was the favourite, having just won the Pau Grand National. I personally favoured Fred Thatcher's (reading) dark hen, knowing that PdW would probably go for the continental type which he did, and she was selected as the Champion. She had won five times at 500+ miles so was no slouch. I vhatted with PdW after the judging, and was delighted to hear that we shared the selection by the shoulder' that I disclosed in 1981 and later 1992 in my two books. Piet was a master selector, and many an Ace was born from his selections at major lofts world wide. A wonderful gentleman, revered by pigeon men all over the world. RIP.

Time Flies...

As they say, but this year has really galloped past. The Grand National is a memory, Barcelona was when? The YB Classics are breathing down our necks and that's another season done. Did you fare any better, or were you sickened by the hazards of the game? Some of them may go for a ball of chalk in the not too distant, but that's a matter of guts and slice of luck. My crystal ball says that a lot of fanciers are getting together these coming winter mornings with some latebreds to do something about the hawk menace, which could prove interesting. As with our pigeons, when they're in the sky there anybody's.
Irelands Own Pigeon Auctions

Return to “Bilco's Bulletin”