T McLoughlin & Sons, Finglas by Jamie Kelly -

The Irish South Road Federation (ISRF) was formed in 1968 and currently has approximately 800 racing members/partnerships in over thirty clubs. The federation covers an area from Wicklow to Monaghan, with the majority of the members located in the Dublin region The weekly races have approx 8,000 to 14,000 birds competing in the inland races, and 2000 to 4000 approx birds competing in the six channel races. Depending on where the birds cross, they will fly between 60 and 100 miles approximately from England (the Irish Channel) and over 600 miles from France (St Malo) to Dublin. The ISRF has four 40 foot transporters with a carrying capacity of nearly 17,000 birds at 20 birds per crate. For all the latest News and Results on the Federation click here.
willie reynolds

T McLoughlin & Sons, Finglas by Jamie Kelly -

Post by willie reynolds »

Article & loft report ,
Thomas McLoughlin &sons ,
Finglas rpc ,isrf ,co Dublin
By Jamie Kelly

This week I spoke with Thomas to compile his article on there fantastic 2020 racing season and also to highlight some great past performances from this great loft in dublin .this partnership consist of thomas his father thomas snr also and now thomas's son has shown a bit of interest recently also ,thomas snr is racing since 1973 and still today loves the pigeons and going the club but these days young thomas takes a more leading role in the workload of the birds and system as thomas snr is not a young man anymore. So this loft had a fantastic season in 2020 racing in the isrf in Dublin and competing from the finglas rpc club were this loft won 9 first prizes in 2020 and were also yb average winners and combined average winners in club and section for the 2020 season ,thomas told me this club alone can send anywhere from 600to800 birds weekly and can have upto 30 flying members racing in it ,so fair to say competition is top class in this club and it is very hard to win a race in this club let along winning 9 races in 1 season ,so superb effort that is for sure ,Thomas also told me they finished 3rd best loft in the yb average in the isrf and also 5th best loft in the isrf combined averages for 2020 ,this loft also had the 2nd best old bird in the isrf for 2020 ,so that really is another great achievement as we all know how though the competition is in the isrf in dublin so to have the 2nd best old bird in the fed is something any1 should be really proud of ,and that great pigeon is bred down from gerry omara figo boy lines ,one stand out performance in the 2020 season was topping the isrf from thurles from 11500 birds ,thomas told me there isrf winner from thurles that day is a pigoen bred from his friend mark Pearce from the uk and is bred from Mark's direct

Robin Van Leuven sprint birds from Belgium,so super result that from this loft to top the isrf ,that's not the first time this loft has topped the isrf as they have had some great results over the years, 1 great days racing that thomas said sticks in his head was back in 2012 when he won 1st skibereen open isrf and also 9th open penzance isrf on the same day, that's really was a super effect that day to do so well on land and channell ,also in 2019 they topped the isrf from castletown from 10500 birds and recorded wat thomas thinks might be 1 of the fastest velocity ever recorded in a race in isrf been a whoppin 2465 velocity so a very fast race that day and super result topping the isrf , this loft has also had great success with the infc in recent years topping the middle section 2 times and also thomas tells me they sent 1 pigeon to the yb national penzance with the infc in 2019 and finished a very good 13th infc national with just 1 entry away that's super flying to do that . Now we will go onto the system, the 2020 season thomas started with a very small team of only 13 widowhood cocks and 11 widowhood hens ,Thomas tells me that he will give the widowhood cocks a few training tosses by car before the season starts but after the first race they will just loft flying twice a day at 6am & again at 6pm ,at the start of the week thomas will feed the cocks on a light diet mix and then from tuesday onwards they will be moved onto the versa laga superstar plus widowhood mix and will get added fats Friday morning or if forecast is indicating a though race then thomas will add fats a little earlier than friday but that will depend on weather for each race so will change week by week , the birds are giving grit and minerals on return from the race but wont be giving them during the week only on wkends ,thomas likes to use some multi vits in the water and also makes up a pigeon tee and will also add sedechol to this and birds will get this every sunday and monday trueout the season ,the hens are fed very similer only they will road train during the week were as the cocks only loft fly but feeding wise thomas likes to keep things fairly similer for both, Thomas told me they race the yb on the darkness system and will feed them the same as widowhood pigeons but again like hens the yb team will train on the road a few times a week during the yb season, both sexes in the yb team stay together and are never separated,Thomas does let them sit a nest of eggs during yb season and finds u can get a good results from a yb sitting 10to14 days on eggs as this was exact conditions of his isrf open winner a few years,but thomas said he never let's the young birds sit babys strictly only eggs here ,treatment wise Thomas said he treats for the usual worms canker respo pre season and will only treat then if he thinks there is a problem, thomas also has 3 uncles who race in dublin so a pigoen family u could say ,Thomas also told me he got great help from tommy Murphy from Dublin and does really good with his birds ,now there u have a good insite into 1 of the top lofts in the isrf in Dublin,well done lads and best of luck next season

Return to “Irish South Road Federation”