Homer's Odyssey/BHW PLus - 09/10/09

Homer's Odyssey - News From Around Ireland by Willie Reynolds BHW & RP Scribe and PO for NIPA, INFC and RPRA (Irish Region).
willie reynolds

Homer's Odyssey/BHW PLus - 09/10/09

Post by willie reynolds »

The Blue Riband YB Nat was flown from Penzance as planned on Wednesday 9th September, 459 members from across Ireland entered 2,120 birds racing for £21,031 in pools and prizes. Birds were released at 8.15am in a fresh Northerly wind to be North/West en-route. The Old Hens race is flown in conjunction with this event, 131 members sent 390 birds competing for £2,219 in pools and prizes. This race was sponsored by Gem Supplements and the YB Nat by Natural Granen, and Veterinary Services through Dr Francis Scullion and race results are sponsored by BHW. Both races were very difficult with around 100 day birds and the prizes not filled for the YB National.

I have listened to the annual complaint, its too far for young birds but where do we go? Would a change of point pass through the AGM, I dont know, would it be the answer, I dont know that either. Having been released in a fresh Northerly wind it was always expected to be hard, maybe on this occasion conditions were just too difficult. A couple of weeks earlier the birds had problems coming out of Talbenny in South Wales, again in a North wind. Penzance even on a perfect day and with helping conditions will still be very hard, should we only release or plan for a big race in these circumstances? Big subjects for debate as will the Old Hens Nat flown at the same time, many members are not happy with this.

The overall winners were two of the biggest names in the sport, YB Nat was won by the Donnelly Bros from Newry City a loft that have topped the NIPA on numerous occasions and are former winners of the Northern Ireland Fancier of the Year. From Quimper last year they had the only bird on the day to win the Friendship National, and what about Richard Cassells of Edgarstown? The Portadown loft won the corresponding race in 2008 winning 1st Open INFC from Sennen Cove and was race runner-up in 2009. Gregg Bros & McCandless from Ligoniel in Belfast need no introduction sending old hens for the first time they had an outstanding result with three birds on the day timed at 17.29pm, 18.31pm, 20.02pm and early second morning at 6.29am. They won 1st Open doing velocity 986 flying 311 miles also 6th, 13th and 14th Open. Donnelly Bros had the top velocity of 1023 flying 284 miles into Newry City to collect the famous J M K McGugan Cup for 1st Open INFC. The Natural Grains Specials of Two bags Mixture for 1st in each Organization were won by Donnelly Bros, Newry City 1st NIPA, John Patterson Ballylesson 1st East Down Combine, J & D Braniff Wheatfield 1st Ulster Federation, Alan Maguire Ind South 1st Irish SR Fed, Seamus Neary Gorey 1st SLF, Richard & Shane McAleer Balbriggan 1st ECF (Dublin).

Robin Duddy presented the INFC with a new trophy that was flown for this season. The criteria was 3 Bird Nomination Sennen Cove Yearling National and 3 Bird Nomination Penzance YB National, you will agree a formidable task. Congratulations to the first winner of the trophy, former Kings Cup winner Geoffrey Douglas of the Wilton Cross club in Lurgan. At the National Dinner in the Stormont Hotel on Friday 27th November Geoffrey will collect his trophy and £1,000 prize money. Runner-up was J Dowey & Sons from Tandragee and in 3rd place another former YB National winner, McCartan & Woodside of Crossgar.

Donnelly Bros, Newry City 1st Open on Vel 1023 & 7th Open on Vel 909 winning £1,950

What more can be said about the Donnelly Bros that has not already been covered, two early birds timed from Penzance and the race winner out on its own. They also managed an early arrival in the Old Hens event and just looking back to last season when the Blue Riband YB Nat was flown from Sennen Cove the Donnelly team finished 9th, 21st and 23rd Open. This race from Penzance was the start of a truly outstanding finish to the year when the loft came very close to winning 3 x National Races. Three days later they finished 2nd Open NIPA Rosscarbery YB Inl Nat (beat by decimal point) and one week after that 2nd Open INFC Skibbereen Nat this time beat by just two yards. How about that? Racing at the very highest level and almost winning both INFC Young Bird Nationals in the same year. I dont believe this has ever been done before and a 1st & 2nd over the two races might be a record itself. Just as a matter of interest how many lofts have in fact won both races over the years they have been flown, a question that for the experts. We will have a loft feature on Donnelly Bros very soon.

Richard Cassells, Edgarstown 2nd Open & 2nd North Sect on Vel 987 winning £546

I heard the comment at the race marking about Richard out to defend the title, boy did he come close, I just wonder how this 2 race record over 2 seasons would fare in the records, has the Blue Riband YB Nat ever been won twice. I used to have a memory for all this but not now, another question for the experts.

McCracken Bros, Banbridge 3rd Open & 3rd North Sect on Vel 983 winning £1,110

A very famous loft from Banbridge in the County Down, they have featured in the results of the INFC for as long as I can remember and Raymond previously served on the INFC Committee. He had a good finish in this race just a few years back, finishing 6th Open from Wadebridge in 2005. He mated up late in February and the youngsters got some darkness although he was not sure that proved anything. He started young birds on the 4th week and his Blue Ch hen had a few races on the land and Talbenny with the NIPA, 4th bird to the loft. She is very inbred to their good Champion Lucy the Red Cheq winner of the Kings Cup Challenge the first year it was flown and Lucy also won a Hall of Fame Diploma. The dam was a daughter of Mick Conlons Gold Medal winner and the sire was from McDowell Bros, she is steeped in the best long distance bloodlines truly Banbridge bred, an area with an outstanding record.

Peter Tierney, Monaghan 4th Open & 1st South Sect on Vel 947 winning £429

Very glad to see Peter getting a top result and for a while we though he might have been the winner, still its a top result and he will collect the William Erwin Memorial Cup for 1st South Section. Peter keeps me up to date weekly on the racing news in Monaghan, they had a top season in the Orchard Combine with 8 x1sts that will also include Peter Tierney 1st Penzance YB Nat only bird on the day. Peter had some positions earlier, two birds placed in the Yearling Nat and then he timed 4 cocks in the prizes of the NIPA Yearling with his best position 15th Open. I had a nice little article from his brother Patrick who unlike me is a professional journalist, bloodlines of his Home Alone were Willy Thas x Busschaert.

HOME ALONE DOES THE TRICK - A Monaghan racing pigeon rewrote the history books last Wednesday (September 9th) when he was the first pigeon home in southern Ireland and 4th in the whole of the County to win the southern section of the very prestigious Blue Ribbon Young Bird National race under the Irish National Flying Club. The 300-mile race from Penzance Cornwall in the South of England drew an entry of over 2,000 from the finest lofts in Ireland north and south. The birds were liberated in Penzance on Wednesday morning (September 9th) at 8.15am and by early evening not a bird had been timed in the Republic. However that was to change at 5.17pm on Wednesday evening when a Black Check hen, known as Home Alone landed on the loft of Peter Tierney in Belgium Park after flying, in a North West wind, just over 9 hours across the English Channel and home. The brave 6 month old, who had flown well in her 5 races this season was well ahead of any other bird in the southern section and won 1ST club 1st in the Orchard Combine and, amazingly 1st Southern section and 4th Open All Ireland. A bird from Newry in County Down won the Open, many congratulations to the Donnelly Bros. Home Alone was the only bird home in race time in the Monaghan club and the only bird on the day in the Orchard Combine. There was great excitement amongst local fanciers as the word spread about the birds achievements and Peter was inundated with phone calls and visits from fanciers and well-wishers who wanted to see the bird. However the excitement was not confined to locals as Peter received calls from pigeon fanciers across Ireland and the U.K. and has received many inquiries about the birds future. However it appears that Home Alones racing days are over and he will now be retired to a life of luxury in his home loft for breeding purposes.

Liam Prunty, Drumcree 5th Open & 4th North Sect on Vel 933 winning £144

I thought I was seeing things when I noticed the Prunty name appear in some of the young bird results, Liam is back racing in Drumcree into the Portadown area of County Armagh and we well remember the racing achievements of Prunty & Larkin. 1st Nat from the NIPA Talbenny, 1st Nat from Skibbereen with INFC and added to that 1st Open NIPA Bude with the famous Ballybay Destroyer which I hear is producing the goods. Liam has set up a 50ft loft, no bother to the man who builds the sheds himself, and he remains busy. His Blue cock was bred by Martin Douglas of Lurgan, from a pair of Hartog birds he had on loan from Henry McLaughlin of Coalisland. A Darkness youngster he raced the programme which included Talbenny. A lot of fanciers feel this is a priority to have a cross channel race before Penzance. After cat trouble in the early part of the season Liam finished well and took 21st Open in the INFC Skibbereen, I am sure we will be hearing more from this loft.

John Patterson, Ballylesson 6th Open & 5th North Sect on Vel 923 winning £476

The top loft in the East Down Combine and he has done that before, one of the very best and several times EDC Fancier of the Year. Last year of course he won 1st Skibbereen YB Nat with The One Hen and first time winner of the Charles Hunniford Memorial Trophy for best Ave North Sect Skibbereen OB (4th Open) & YB Nationals.

J & D Braniff, Wheatfield 8th Open & 7th North Sect on Vel 906 winning £296

The top loft in the Ulster Federation and they have had a fantastic racing season in 2009. David sent me some details, this hen had previously been 37th Open Ulster Federation Talbenny Derby. Her sire was 2nd Skibbereen Derby in 2006 (beat by a faster trapping loft m8) & £800 Plus T3, then in Skibbereen Nat 11th North Sect & 23rd Open INFC. He has already bred a Skibbereen Classic winner in 2007. Bloodlines are M & D Evans top Vandenabeele, being a g/son of Solitaire. Her dam is a daughter of Higginson & McMeekins Nat winner from Penzance, while paired to a hen we bought at the C & H Beattie Clearance Sale. She was 4th in the Friendship Nat and also 10th in the Kings Cup.

Ron Williamson, Bondhill 9th Open & 8th North Sect on Vel 903 winning £256

Another loft needing no introduction, has won over 50 x 1st Open with the NIPA and Northern Ireland Fancier of the Year on numerous occasions. The most recent win by the loft was 1st Open NIPA Talbenny YB National, on a difficult day. A loft feature will follow soon.

J Dowey & Sons, Tandragee 10th Open & 9th North Sect on Vel 898 winning £699

John Doey & Sons from Tandragee complete the Top 10, a well fancied bird to claim both Open & Sect Nominations. The loft race the best of the Frans Van Wildemeersch through the late Bertie Fletcher & Son of Oakfield Lofts. This Blue hen carried the lines of two of the best Bliksem and Beer, flown Darkness she had every race and was the lofts second bird home from Talbenny. She was sent to Penzance looking at a cock and produced the goods, Kyle told me a half brother has already won 2nd Sect & 5th Open NIPA. Well done lads.

A few fanciers were not available when I called, hopefully they can be added to the next report, which will be next week.

Mid Antrim Combine Secretary George McDowell has released the list of winners of the 2009 seasons cups and trophies, winners from last season should return same as soon as possible to allow time for engraving etc. Old Bird Inl Ave won by Scott & Clements of Kells & Dist Vel 1535.8, Cross Channel Average won by Danny Dixon of Rasharkin & Dist Vel 1212.3, Old Bird Average won by W & J Smyth of Ballymena & Dist Vel 1337.0, B Eagleson Memorial (1st 4 cross channel races) won by Danny Dixon Vel 1294.1, Young Bird Average won by M Graham of Ballymena & Dist Vel 1459.3, Combined Average won by George Connolly of Harryville Vel 1043.1, Bird of the Year won by W & J Smyth 100 Points. For the first time a new cup is up for competition the New North Cup is for Best Ave Bude OB & Talbenny YB Nat and won by Danny Dixon Vel 1388.4. Les Mairs Cup OB Fancier of the Year won by Danny Dixon 778 Points. W McIlhagga Memorial Cup 1st Combine OB Nat St Malo won by Russell Bros of Cullybackey Vel 1257. Old Bird Club Shield won by Kells & District 90 Points, Young Bird Club Shield won by Kells & Dist 63 Points.

Harryville HPS have arranged a meeting for this Thursday 8th October at 8.00pm in the local clubrooms at Antrim Road to discuss the annual dinner etc.

On sick call this week, I have been hearing that both Martin Russell and Tommy Patterson have been admitted to hospital, Martin from Dromore is the former INFC Secretary and he races very successfully with brother Fred in the local West End, Tommy is a past National winner and continues to race in Muckamore. I am sure the whole fancy extend best wishes for a speedy recovery as they do as well to Rosie McCloy from Cullybackey. She has been in and out of hospital and is on treatment at present, a lot of the young bird racing was missed and she is looking forward to get going again in the new season.

The sales got into full swing from last weekend Ronnie Johnston has 5 Saturday dates in Glenavy the first was for Mark Hughes of Edgarstown to be followed by the entire Clearance Sale for (Collimore Lofts), Mr & Mrs Colin Gibson of Corcreeney on Saturday 10th & 17th October. Tel RJ: (028) 90483625. Sarsfield will be the Dublin venue on Sunday 25th October and 1st November (to be confirmed), contact Gerry McCourt Tel: (00353) 868124076. Just had a note from Ronnie to confirm that Newtownbreda Clubrooms will be the venue for the final sale of North Coast Classic on Monday 12th October, all birds having flown Cork. Kick-Off 7.30pm and Sale List available on www.northcoastclassic.co.uk

Also in Dublin we have the Entire Clearance Sales for the late Terence OBrien at Dublin Homing Club and the final one Sunday 11th October the auctioneer is Henry Byrne Tel: (00353) 868153986. The Entire Clearance Sale for the late Eddie Wright (Fountainhead Stud) will have Dublin dates at Northside Pigeon Club on Friday 9th October at 7.30pm and Sarsfield on Saturday 10th October at 2.00pm, contact Gerry McCourt. Details of these sales are on www.pigeonnetwork.com

COMPLETE CLEARANCE SALE for one of the top breeding and racing lofts in IRELAND.

The Collimore Lofts of Mr & Mrs Colin Gibson (Corcreeney) 234 Gilford Road, Lurgan.

Tel: (028) 38341551. Mobile: 07715 472966.

Sale to include 6 x direct Koopmans None better available in EUROPE! Can be viewed with pedigree details at www.pigeonportal.com

The Soontjens are direct from Frank Sheader and Jos Soontjen that have been purchased direct Super Winning Lines! These pigeons have been ultra-successful throughout the UK & Ireland. Dont forget the super Grizzle Family (Soontjen based). There will be 5 birds direct from the 2006 Kings Cup winner Malconeys Dream paired to the super breeder Miss Donnelly, 15 x 1st Open NIPA winners in her bloodlines. The super lines of Marcel Albrecks and one of Belgiums best Jose Vanolnan will be in the SALES! Dont miss THEM!

Birds can be viewed by appointment, contact Colin Tel: 07715 472966.

SALE (1) Glenavy Protestant Hall, Saturday 10th October KO 2.30pm sharp.
SALE (2) Glenavy Protestant Hall, Saturday 17th October KO 2.30pm sharp.

SALE (3) Sarsfield RPC, Dublin 10, Sunday 25th October, viewing Noon - KO 1.30pm.
SALE (4) Sarsfield RPC, Dublin 10, Sunday 1st November. (To be confirmed).

Auctioneer Glenavy Ronnie Johnston Tel: (028) 90 483625 or Mobile 07954 273820 available on day of sale.
Auctioneer Sarsfield Gerry McCourt Tel: 00353 868124076.

SALES LISTS TO FOLLOW. See advert BHW 02/10/09 pages 139-141 and RP page 2.

HOMER.
Mobile: 07939 684876
Tel/Fax (028) 256 44683
E-mail: reynoldshomer@aol.com
www.pigeonnetwork.com
www.niparacingpigeons.co.uk

Return to “Homer's Odyssey”