Avian Influenza Prevention Zone lifted

Homer's Odyssey - News From Around Ireland by Willie Reynolds BHW & RP Scribe and PO for NIPA, INFC and RPRA (Irish Region).
willie reynolds

Avian Influenza Prevention Zone lifted

Post by willie reynolds »

Colleagues

Following discussions last week I am writing to confirm that the Avian Influenza Prevention Zone ( AIPZ) which was declared on 1 December (updated on 23 December and 14 April) has been lifted from noon today 20 May.

Based on the most recent NI Veterinary Risk Assessment (VRA), the risk of a Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) incursion into the NI poultry flock has reduced and is now considered LOW.

There have also been no further positive cases of AI in commercial poultry in NI since the two holdings confirmed in early January. In addition the last wild bird confirmed with AI was submitted to the Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute 14 January and there have been no more AI cases since 8 February.

Taking this into consideration officials have determined that removing the AIPZ from today, including the ban on all bird gatherings providing they meet the conditions under general licence, would not increase the current risk of incursion. Colleagues in GB lifted their AIPZ on the 15 May and The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine in the Republic of Ireland also intend to lift their AIPZ in the coming days.

While removal of the AIPZ and the associated mandatory biosecurity measures is good news for industry, the deployment of excellent biosecurity measures and vigilance remain of paramount importance. Best biosecurity practice and the guidance laid out in the self-assessment checklist here should still be adhered to as much as is practically possible by all flock keepers.

Even though the risk of an incursion has reduced, LOW risk does not mean NO risk. Communication channels will be used to highlight the importance of enhanced biosecurity measures on holdings to mitigate the risk of an AI incursion. Communications relating to the lifting of the AIPZ will be focused on increased biosecurity awareness, the importance of good practice and the need to avoid complacency.

I have included a link to the press release here that was issued today informing of the lifting of the AIPZ and removing the ban on bird gatherings. This will be further supported by a social media communication campaign, web site update and a text alert.

I would be grateful if you could share this information with your members and encourage them to continue to be vigilant for signs of the disease and to maintain high levels of biosecurity

Thank you for your ongoing support in communicating this message during this crucial period as we emerge from the restrictions imposed by the AIPZ.

Jim Blee

Jim Blee I Animal Disease Control & Trade Policy Branch I Veterinary Service Animal Health Group I Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs I Ballykelly House I 111 Ballykelly Road I Ballykelly I Limavady I BT49 9HP

Tel: (028) 77442074 I Ext: 49074 I Mob: 07841 804 520 I Email: jim.blee@daera-ni.gov.uk

Return to “Homer's Odyssey”