Area Liberations on Sat 17/07/21 -

The NIPA was founded in 1945 and it's membership was open to all members within Northern Ireland - We are one of the largest weekly convoying organisations in the UK. Presently we have approx. 100 clubs as members, with over 2,000 members. Birds competing each week can reach 25 to 30 thousand, depending on the race. The race programme starts in Ireland down to Rosscarbery and continues through Wales & England to Penzance, and the Premier OB Nat flown from St Malo (France).
willie reynolds

Area Liberations on Sat 17/07/21 -

Post by willie reynolds »

First Area liberation on Saturday 17/07/21

I have been asked by your committee to release to all members the reason for moving some liberations from their intended site ie Mullingar

I will do my utmost to explain what took place at all sites

Section F Had opted for a release at NAVAN, they had 33 crates on the small NIPA trailer

Arriving in Navan the EDC where already there, Keys were obtained for the usual release site on the Race Course, however the locks had been changed and none of the keys would unlock the gates

Both organisations looked for an alternative site one was found and one of the keys opened the gate, this allowed both organisations to finalise arrangements for a release, however this site would not have accommodated our remaining fleet of transporters.

I have been informed that the original site in Navan was being used as a COVID centre and we would not have been allowed on site

This ruled out any possibility of sending any of our transporters back from Mullingar

When the first of our transporters arrived in Mullingar they found the Ulster Federation had arrived and parked up, this is the first time that I can remember that both organisations were on site at the same time, the Ulster federation have as much right to be there as any other organisation.

We found at Mullingar we could not access the site which is a public space as there were also a number of private vehicles already parked and blocking our way to our
Usual release area which runs right down to the lake

The driver of our first transporter was informed that a Triathlon would be taking place that morning and all vehicles would have to be off site by 7:00 to 7:30am that morning. This would make it impossible to release our pigeons.

The Transport Manager and Convoyer were immediately informed of the situation, this was around 03:00am in the morning. They immediately looked google for an alternative site none could be found, they searched the area themselves and could not find an alternative release site.

As Navan & Mullingar had no sites to offer they were left with no alternative but to go on to Tullamore were they where quaranteed a site to have the pigeons rested and watered. Sections A, B, C & H all had terrible races poor returns with up to at least 50% losses a real disaster to any fancier.

The committee have met discussed every detail possible, they have agreed that racing will continue this weekend. The information we have at present is that Mullingar will be available, we are looking for this to be confirmed as triathlon could continue for at least 3 weeks, I will confirm as soon as information is received also the convoyer is looking at a race course between Mullingar and Tullamore I believe you call it Killbegan or similar name. Paddy has a lot of contacts in horse racing circles, if this can be achieved we should be able to ditch Mullingar.

Committee members from Sections B AND C have agreed to release together with the Coleraine Area, I personally hope this is a success.it has been tried before they intend to release in Mullingar Sect H will also release in Mullingar, Sect F will release in Mullingar, Sect D & G will release in Tullamore also Sect E and part Section A will also release in Tullamore. We will see how this weekend works out before we post any further information. I hope this release answers most of your questions.

Regards Fred Russell NIPA Secretary.

Return to “Northern Ireland Provincial Amalgamation (NIPA)”