Obituary Billy McKillen and Matt Wray (Ballymena)-

Homer's Odyssey - News From Around Ireland by Willie Reynolds BHW & RP Scribe and PO for NIPA, INFC and RPRA (Irish Region).
willie reynolds

Obituary Billy McKillen and Matt Wray (Ballymena)-

Post by willie reynolds »

Obituary – I have the sad duty to inform the fancy of two more big stars of recent years having passed away firstly William McKillen who raced for many years in the Ballymena & District under W & S McKillen. He scored many top results when racing and was especially interested in the long-distance events and had a great team of birds based on the old Kenyon family of birds raced in the same club by the famous Smyth Bros. For many years he operated Hilltop Feeds on the Old Bal;lymoney Road and always had a top selection of the various mixtures. Over the weekend I was informed of the passing of Matt Wray who raced with great success in the Harryville HPS where he was a founder member and more recently filled the post of Secretary. In his hey-day he could score from all points and again he had a great interest in the long-distance events not having success just for himself racing under Wray & McFadden but had produced several birds to win for other lofts across Ireland. He never missed the annual Blackpool Show and I travelled with him on the last occasion I was there myself, his final house move was to 141 Moat Road, and I have mentioned before we ourselves lived there in the early 70’s and had great fun in our early days in the sport. Out in company Matt was always great craic, never let his bone go to the dog. Due to ill health, he retired from the sport earlier this year, he will be sadly missed. HOMER.

Return to “Homer's Odyssey”