Bird Flu in NI - 12/10/22

Homer's Odyssey - News From Around Ireland by Willie Reynolds BHW & RP Scribe and PO for NIPA, INFC and RPRA (Irish Region).
willie reynolds

Bird Flu in NI - 12/10/22

Post by willie reynolds »

Avian Influenza in Northern Ireland -

Following the suspicion of notifiable avian influenza, including initial laboratory results, at a holding of captive birds in Comber, County Down, the Chief Veterinary Officer has taken the decision to take appropriate disease control measures. This includes the introduction of Temporary Control Zones (TCZ) effective from 23:59 hrs 11 October 2022, to mitigate onward disease spread. Samples have been sent to the National Reference Laboratory to confirm pathogenicity.

Full details of the scope and measures required within the TCZ will be published imminently and a pdf is attached to this email.

I would greatly appreciate you forwarding this information to your members. Please carefully consider the need for any moves at this juncture and the mitigations that could be put in place to minimise the risk of onward disease spread.

Thank you for your ongoing support with proactive messaging regarding vigilance, early reporting of suspected disease, and the importance of maintaining good biosecurity measures during this crucial period.
willie reynolds

Re: Bird Flu in NI - 12/10/22

Colleagues - Following official laboratory results, confirming that Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) H5N1 has been found in captive birds at Castle Espie, Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT) a 3km Captive Bird Monitoring Controlled Zone (CBMZ) has now been put in place around the infected premise, whereby all poultry and captive birds must now be kept in secure housing or otherwise kept separate from wild birds.

The CBMZ came into effect from 09:00 on 16 October 2022 and replaces the temporary disease control zone which had been placed around the site on 11 October 2022.

Full details of the scope and measures required within the Captive Bird Monitoring Zone can be viewed in the attached pdf.

Samples were taken from a poultry premise in Aughnacloy on 14 October 2022 and submitted to AfBI for testing, the subsequent results were negative, and the flock has been de-restricted.

As of Noon today 17 October 2022, an Avian Influenza Prevention Zone (AIPZ) has been introduced across Northern Ireland. Housing measures have not been introduced at this time and bird gatherings are not prohibited, but the situation will remain under constant review. Further information on this AIPZ can be viewed at:

https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/Av ... entionZone

The AIPZ Declaration can be view at:

https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/publication ... clarations

We encourage each premise to review their current biosecurity measures. Further information is provided online at:

https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/bi ... y-guidance

I would greatly appreciate you forwarding this information to your members.

Thank you for your ongoing support with proactive messaging regarding vigilance, early reporting of suspected disease and importance of maintaining good biosecurity measures during this crucial period. Kind Regards Jim Blee.
willie reynolds

There are presently no restrictions on Shows or Sales outside the 3km area around Castle Espie

Should this change, you will be informed

Mr. Ronnie Johnston has asked me to inform the membership that the Sale of the late Willie Hayes of Ballynahinch will go ahead as planned in Newtownbreda clubrooms on Monday 24th and 31st October 2022 birds on view at 6:30 pm Sale starts at 7:30 pm
willie reynolds

From: Animal Disease Control and Trade Policy Branch <ADCTPB@daera-ni.gov.uk>
Sent: 10 November 2022 09:30
To: Thompson, Michelle <Michelle.Thompson@daera-ni.gov.uk>
Subject: DAERA - Wild Birds and Advice for the Public

Dear Colleagues,

Further to our stakeholder meeting on Wednesday 09 November 2022, please see below the link which takes you to information on “Wild Birds and Advice for the Public”. We would encourage you to use the information within this link and to share it far and wide.

https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/wi ... ice-public

Also, I have attached a copy of our poster which can be printed out and displayed.

Thank you for your time and support.

Kind Regards

Michelle Thompson I Animal Disease Control Branch I Veterinary Service Animal Health Group I Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs I Jubilee House I 111 Ballykelly Road I Ballykelly I Limavady I BT49 9HP

willie reynolds

Avian Influenza Alert: Disease control restriction zones have been put in place in Co. Fermanagh after the Republic of Ireland confirmed Avian Influenza H5N1 in a commercial turkey flock in Co. Monaghan. Further details can be found on DAERA Website.

13 November 2022
Avian Influenza H5N1 has been confirmed in the Republic of Ireland at a holding in Clones, County Monaghan, close to the border between County Monaghan and County Fermanagh.

The Chief Veterinary Officer (CVO) for the Republic of Ireland has taken the decision to adopt appropriate disease control measures. This will include the introduction of disease control zones including, a 3km Protection Zone (PZ) and 10km Surveillance Zone (SZ) being established around the infected premises.

As a result the CVO for Northern Ireland has declared corresponding disease control zones for the area which extends into Northern Ireland from the Republic of Ireland.

Full details and the scope of the measures required, which apply from 17:30 on 13 November 2022, can be found in the declaration here.

Return to “Homer's Odyssey”