Obituary Ron McKelvey, Newry -

Homer's Odyssey - News From Around Ireland by Willie Reynolds BHW & RP Scribe and PO for NIPA, INFC and RPRA (Irish Region).
willie reynolds

Obituary Ron McKelvey, Newry -

Post by willie reynolds »

It was with the most profound sadness that we, the members of Millvale HPS, learned of the passing of our much loved and respected member Ron McKelvey RIP. I first met Ron, a Dundrum native, when he settled in Newry after living in England. I immediately warmed to his friendly soft spoken nature. He had impeccable organisational skills and numeracy ability second to none. He joined our club several years ago with his close friend John J McCabe where his willingness to help others was apparent. Nothing was ever too much trouble. He was a unique man. He had a rare affinity with his birds. He had a bond with them. Ron loved his birds and their love for home was often repaid by winning many races including at NIPA and National level. While I will remember him as a fantastic pigeon man he was much more than that. He was a gentle, honourable and moral person. Over the past few years the members of Millvale and Newry City, who we share a club room, had the pleasure of his company at race marking and clock checking. Ron loved to see others winning and we genuinely loved to see him winning. Even with failing health he won his last race with us in September 2022. We were delighted. That’s the esteem we held him in. Ron McKelvey you were a brilliant pigeon man and an incredible human being. We will miss you. May God wrap his arms around you and grace your gentle soul with eternal peace. Tommy Mooney on behalf of - The members of Millvale and Newry City clubs.

Well our wee Ron. You liked to state and always asked wheres my wee Claire the boss lol.. Always the first to ring me and congratulate dad and the family & always the first to ring and text on my birthday.. I was always so happy and proud to do the same with you.. Many of fond moments we had with you. Always life and soul of every room. Always the first there for anyone.. The sport has been dealt a great loss and friends to you also have gained a great loss.. But we will awknowledge your love for the sport and your friends in it and remember your whitty attitude, your love, your friendship, your remises, your teachings, but most of all how you touched us all daily on a man so full of joy on life and sheltering those you felt close with your open arms of protection. You always had us. We will never forget you. Getting that phonecall from you less than a month ago on Facebook and hearing your voice of love I will always cherish and your love and thoughtfulness towards us, you didn't say alot but what you did say touched me so much that you felt you had to ring me and speak to me. What a man. What a legend!! I will always remember. Of a friend and a sportman! You always talked about our white pigeons out all day how you found them beautiful at weddings and funerals to come up our lane and see them.. You always told me, 'you know wee woman they are the bird of peace, the reason you don't lock them up at nights is because they are free, the bird of peace can't be locked away' and I always said Ron if you had them over your tin roof at 6am in the morning you won't see them as that, but now I will cherish them over my roof and remember you everytime I hear them on the roof. . This birthday is going to be strange without you ringing first thing in morn but when them birds hit my roof, I will remember you and know you are there. Your beautiful kind soul is at peace now and I hope to see you again one day and give off to you about them white birds on the roof. Your loss has hit us hard. But I know your preparing things for us all there. Ron from your wee Claire 'the boss' lol, fly high bud and thank you for your love and thank you for everything. Dad will be there with your birds of peace to send you off. We love and cherish you we will see you again our friend this isn't the end to Ron's family may you have the strength and cherish your memories, we all have you in our hearts.. We stand by his side and your side of love for this wonderful man and his family. Claire Williamson.

It is with great sadness this afternoon that we have learned of the Sad Passing of our great friend and one of lifes true gentlemen Mr Ron McKelvey.
Ron first came to Newry 20+ years ago and Raced in Newry & District H.P.S. Ron took Newry by storm coming with a big reputation of being an out and out champion of the UK and Racing in Greater Harrow Pigeon Club in London.
When first being introduced to the Club he was interested in taking on the role of being Club Secretary/Treasurer/Ets Secretary. Some members not aware of his vast knowledge and intelligence Ron submitted a 4 Page CV to the Club. The Members response upon reading his impressive CV at a meeting was "This man could run the Country nevermind a Pigeon Club"

Everyone who knew Ron knows the hard work and outmost care he put in for the Club and every single pigeon fancier in need of assistance or simple advice. His kindness shined from person to person and even more so into his family of pigeons he held so dear. Ron was a Connoisseur of Pigeons and cultivated one of the finest Braspenning Families in the UK and Ireland and it was always a pleasure to handle them on a Friday Night through the Ringer.
Many Winners was timed into his lofts over the years into Newry but he got an even better kick out of seeing someone else Win or do well in the Sport being the first to Congratulate everyone every race no matter what the outcome.
Myself personally ill never forget as a 11 year in the Club being shy and wanting to help out in anyway I could, Ron took me under his wing and passed on his knowledge of ETS Rings, Computer Work with Results and Velocitys and helped my confidence to help him and do out Results myself even if i did mess up it was never a problem

On behalf of Newry & District H.P.S and the wider Pigeon Faternity in the Newry & Mourne Area and across the UK and Ireland we would like to pass on our sincere condolences to the McKelvey Family on the sad passing of Ron.All of our thoughts and prayers go out to the entire family circle at this difficult time
Our members are forever grateful for his hard work he put into our Club and the Sport
I will miss seeing Rons smile with a cheeky pat on the cheek 'Your a Wee Star' May he Rest In Peace. Jordan Hughes PO.

PLEASE NOTE@ Ron's family have advised that the family home is open to his friends and fellow fanciers to pay their respect to Ron from 3pm until 8pm tomorrow Friday.

Return to “Homer's Odyssey”