Valentia (1) OB -

This board will carry all info relating to the IHU National Flying Club including results with the excellent support of the Secretary Ken Knight.
willie reynolds

Valentia (1) OB -

Post by willie reynolds »

Some time ago I wrote in the weekly pigeon papers about the increase in membership into the sport of pigeon racing here in Ireland of immigrant pigeon fanciers who were trying to integrate into the social fabric of everyday life here in Ireland, and said at the time that it would not be long before they would be making an impact on the sport here.

In that regard, it has already come to pass, as several have been very successful in the clubs that they have choosen to compete in, none more so than the person who is the subject of this short report, having won the opening IHUNFC National race from Valentia last weekend.
My report starts off with a contribution from Joe Connolly, the Thurles RPC secretary in whose club Marek Piascki competes and whom they are very proud to have as a member of their club.

HI Francis,
As requested, please find attached a couple of photos of Marek Piasecki, the IHUNFC National winner from Valentia, who is a prominent member of our club. The Thurles RPC in Co Tipperary. The first one shows him with his son Eric.
Eric was most disappointed when his dad changed over to the UNIKON ETS a few years ago.
Because he used to get a great kick out of clocking the birds into an old STB clock. So much so, that the clock was often brought back to me at the club for the check strike....completely full !!!!! Yours truly wasn't very impressed with this because the club only allows three positions. But all I got for my disapproving glare was a little cheeky grin from Eric.

By way of an anecdote, it was somewhat amusing (and clever) the way Marek went about finding out where the local Pigeon club might be. Which as you know could be likened to a secret society, For the most part the general public know absolutely nothing about us. Anyway, the bould Marek ignored all of today's technology such as social media etc, and resorted to the old and trusted method that we used years ago to hopefully make contact with other pigeon fanciers, He had caught a flown out stray in his back garden and looked after it for a few days and when he felt the bird was ready to go he wrote his phone number on a slip of paper and slipped it into the rubber ring. As it turned out, the bird was one of mine. I hadn't seen a bit of paper on a pigeon for many years so I was intrigued and rang the number and discovered that the man was from Poland, but living in Ireland, Conversation was diffiicult because of his somewhat limited English. I invited him to call round to me for a chat. Luckily he brought his good wife, Katarzyna, with him to act as an interpreter. The rest, as they say, is history. Marek is a very astute and knowledgeable fancier and makes the very best of his somewhat limited resources. His loft is little more than the standard garden shed but he makes clever use of every available square inch of space. He is also a great believer in giving his birds natural tonics that he prepares himself. Dandelions, nettles, garlic and all sorts of other herbs that he grows in his small greenhouse. A very affable and likeable man who has always got on with everyone in the club. And, it must be said, is a bit of a prankster. He is rather fond of playing practical jokes on people. Sorry Francis, I seem to have rambled on a good bit there (It would be more in my line to get cracking on the Fed result, say's you ). But if you want to give Marek a ring to find out a bit more about his methods etc. His English has improved a great deal so there would be no bother communicating.
Best Regards,
Joe Connolly, Sec : Thurles RPC.

And finally a few words from the man himself.
Hi Francis, my name is Marek Piasecki.
I came to Ireland in 2007. Pigeons have always been my passion, I also kept them while living in Poland.
I joined Thurles RPC in 2011 and have been flying pigeons since then. The same hen that won this year’s IHUNFC Valencia National race last weekend has already won 23rd Open and 13th Open, in the two IHUNFC Valentia Inland National races in 2022.
I would also like to acknoledge and thank the Thurles RPC and the IHUNFC club members for the brilliant atmosphere in the pigeon clubs that I compete in, and the hard work of the
secretary's in organising the races.
Kind Regards. Marek.

The next inland National with the IHUNFC will be held on June 11th from Valentia, then it will be on to the National races from across the channel, starting on June 10th from Penzance.
Any news or info on the National winners can be sent to me on ;
Franciscorcoran21@ gmail.com

Marek Piasecki and his son Eric, winners of the IHUNFC Valentia (1) race last weekend.

The wing of Malek Piasecki's National winning Cheq Hen.

Return to “Irish Homing Union National Flying Club”