Obituary Stephen McGarry -

Homer's Odyssey - News From Around Ireland by Willie Reynolds BHW & RP Scribe and PO for NIPA, INFC and RPRA (Irish Region).
willie reynolds

Obituary Stephen McGarry -

Post by willie reynolds »

Drumnavaddy inv hps members would like to pass on there condolences on the passing of Stephen Mcgarry aka the New kid on the Block . To his partner Maggie and all the family circle at this very sad time . RIP Stephen Mcgarry.

Larne and District hps would like to pass on there condolences on the passing of Stephen Mcgarry aka the new kid on the block . To his partner Maggie and family . Great man in the pigeon circle from keeping the lads in feeding and over the years the great write ups . RIP Stephen Mcgarry.

There will never be another anywhere near him, unreal Auctioneer and knew good birds, and always had a bit a craic. RIP Stevie. George Robinson.

Rest in peace stephen mcgarry. You will be sadly missed and for your auctions hope you get the best bed in heaven you were one nice bloke I will miss your story's RIP. Dave Ward (Dublin).

Just heard the passing of Stephen Mc Garry Stephen was sec of the Horseshoe Hps and helped in any way he could always a laugh when he was about will be sadly missed by myself and members of the Horseshoe Hps condolences to Margaret from us all. James Hastings.

Very sorry to hear of the passing of Stephen McGarry. I spent a lot of time with Stephen over the years & there was never a dull moment, he was one of a kind. Several trips to Belgium & Holland, plus all those Blackpool trips. The sales were entertainment as much as anything. I never left his house in Kinhilt Street in Ballymena back in the day. Learnt a lot about pigeons from Stephen & got a few decent ones from him too. I used to spend my summer holidays knocking about the lofts & with him wherever he was going. I helped his father George on the transporter when it was going too. The McGarry family where very good to me when I was a young lad. Hopefully he's with his parents George & Edna now. Some great memories made over the years. Sean Drain.

A couple of photos below from our first visit to Belgium over 20 years ago, Bert Braspenning, Louis Panis & Staf Van Reet. RIP Buddy 🕊️

Obituary McGarry Stephen – New Kid on the Block

Just got the very sad news this week that one of the big stars of the local racing scene has passed away in hospital after a period of illness. Where do you start with a character like Stephen who was known the length of the country and was as many described a one off the like of never to be seen again. He had been involved in the sport all his life racing in partnership with dad George in both Ballymena Championship and Ballymena & District where he was later Chairman. In recent years he has been based in Larne and was Secretary of his local club Horseshoe HPS. In the early days he trained the birds with his father, they had a successful Pet Shop and Stephen always had a supply of feeding. The quality of stock they had was the best money could buy, Stephen could select a good one and did so for many lofts and he knew the family line for most of the strains available. He took up the gavel and was a top auctioneer starting out at Chimney Corner and sales at other venues in Ireland and on the mainland and then during the BHW Show of the Year he was based for a long time at Blackpool Football Club with many sales packed out. He took up the pen as well and produced a few publications, had a website and until his passing we shared the role of Press Officer for the Mighty NIPA. I was friendly with his father George for a long time, and for a period of time I worked with him, he was always available to help in many family occasions and Stephen was usually first to call and help in any family drama. He took me the length of the country at a time when I had never left the house, over and above the sales we had a trip to the Olympiad in France and a loft visit to the famous Janssen Bros. The many messages posted on Facebook were a testimony to the man himself, a one off who will never be replaced. Rest easy old friend, gone too soon. Stephen's funeral is on Wednesday 5th July from The Cottage Funeral Parlour (Michael McSparron’s) on the Victoria Road Larne at 2.00pm up to Larne Cemetery for 3.00pm. Condolences to his partner Margaret and family at this very sad time. Homer.

Photo Caption

On a trip to the Olympad in Lille France we made a loft visit to the famous Janssen Bros, arranged by Jeff van Winkle.

On a trip to the Olympad in Lille France we made a loft visit to the famous Janssen Bros, arranged by Jeff van Winkle. Homer.

Just wanted to say, to the family of Stephen McGarry my sincerest condolences at his passing. Pigeon sport has lost another good man, another character and another friend. I had the privilege of knowing Stevie for 20 plus years and he was a good friend and never a cross word between us. I met Stevie in the middle of a dual carriage way. He'd pulled up on one side and I'd pulled up on the other side and we had both stopped to catch a Red Cheq pigeon walking on the road looking like it had run out off flying energy. I remember very well the 2 off us standing in the middle of 4 lanes of traffic having caught the pigeon chatting away and getting to know each other. That was just how he was. You can meet a new friend in the strangest places. That was Stevie, a great character and a kind hearted guy. He will be missed by a lot of folk for sure. Don Smyth.

Such sad news - never a dull moment in Stephen company - many a time i disagreed with him but we were always wonderful friends. Myrtle Taylor.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on Stephen McGarry's passing from Maggie n myself. Stephen's Funeral is on Wednesday 5th July from The Cottage Funeral Parlour (Michael McSparrons)on the Victoria Road at 2.00 pm n upto Larne Cemetery for 3.00pm. Rest in Peace Stephen Marlene McDonagh.

McGarry (Larne) 29th June 2023 peacefully at hospital Stephen dearly loved partner of Margaret (Maggie) late of 26 Dromaine Drive. Funeral service will be held on Wednesday 5th July 2023 in The Cottage Funeral Home 49 Victoria Rd at 2.00pm with burial immediately afterwards in Larne Cemetery. Very deeply regretted by his sorrowing partner. At Rest. House strictly private please. Donations in lieu of flowers if desired to Laurel House Antrim Hospital C/O Michael McSparron Funeral Director Larne. Tel: 028 28275255.
willie reynolds

Re: Obituary Stephen McGarry -

Post by willie reynolds »

On the 29 th of June the fancy learnt of the sad passing of Mr Stephen McGarry best known as ‘New
Kid on the Block’. Stephen sadly passed away in Hospital after a battle with illness. Stephen was a
one in a million character and known so well around the UK and Ireland and further afield. The
Ballymena native was a man ahead of his time with the best of progressive thinking ideas and always
looking to put his trademark on things which he did so well from his website ‘Pigeon Craic’, his skills
as an auctioneer and his great informative hard work that went into his scribing articles in the BHW
‘Abit of Craic’. When I was very young, I would have sat in many auction rooms bored to tears but as
soon as I went to one that Stephen was Auctioneer in, it was straight away different and better than
the auction. His witty and funny way of controlling the room was hilarious. No matter how hard the
bidder tried to hide away secretly you just could pick them out as Stephen would have them
breaking their poker face with a witty line or two.

After race day there was always a phone call from Stephen to Dad without fail, he would say ‘make
sure that wee younging of yours has his hair done for a photo by god he has some head of hair’
There is a massive void left in the sport that cannot be replicated. He was a great friend and even
bigger role model to look up to in scribing. May he Rest in Peace. Jordan Hughes NIPA Press Officer.

Obituary McGarry Stephen – It is with regret that I have to report the passing of Stephen McGarry. Stephen was a previous Press Officer for the RPRA Irish Region. He was a colourful character as well as having a great knowledge of the pigeon fancy. He was a member of Horseshoe HPS in Larne where in the last few years he gave a lot of his time to the running of the club. On behalf of the Officers and members of the RPRA Irish Region I would like to send our deepest condolences to the whole family circle. Noel Higginson Irish Region Secretary.

Return to “Homer's Odyssey”