St Malo OB National - Thursday 22/07/23

New NIPA Press Officer – I would like to inform everyone that I have been newly elected as Press Officer for the NIPA and will be covering Sections C, D, F and G in the NIPA in this forthcoming season 2024. I kindly ask for all the Club Secretaries or race Secretaries within these sections to get in contact with me highlighting their club and contact details for the future publication of results, loft reports and any other information for publication. I would loke to take this opportunity to wish everyone the best of luck and good health in 2024. I am very privileged to be taking on this esteemed role and I can’t wait to get up and running. Jordan Hughes. "Journey’s End” NIPA Press Officer. Mobile: 07713 808554, E-mail: jordanhughespro.gmail.com
willie reynolds

St Malo OB National - Thursday 22/07/23

Post by willie reynolds »

JOURNEY’S END - N.I.P.A NOTES – SECTIONS C, D, F, & G

The Big Finale of the N.I.P.A. Old Bird Season held from St. Malo in the North West Coast of France.
With the go-ahead given Race marking took place on Monday the 19 th of June at allocated Centres.
353 members of the Mighty N.I.P.A. sent 1,309 Birds to the St. Malo Old Bird Channel National. The
Birds were liberated on Thursday the 22 nd at 6:30 AM in a Light North Wind.

St. Malo Here Qui Go

The Winning Bird from the St. Malo National Race belongs to S. Mc Flynn of Castledawson H.P.S in
Section A. Many Congratulations to S. Mc Flynn on claiming 1 st N.I.P.A St. Malo OB Channel National
Also, Big Congratulations to J C Reid of Ballycarry & District H.P.S finishing 2 nd Open. Also,
Congratulations to J. Mc Maw of Carrick Social H.P.S finishing 3 rd Open. Congratulations lads great
result. When flying from France the Race will be confirmed as a 3-day race if Open Prizes are still
there to be claimed. A total of 15 heroic birds returned home on the first day from France crossing 2
Channels and miles of Open Sea and the vast array of different terrains and obstacles along the way
towards their respective lofts. It’s a tough ask for our birds with I would confidently say the toughest
of flight paths out there. A total of 85 gutsy birds made the journey home over the course of the 3-
day period.

St. Malo National Result

1 st S. Mc Flynn Castledawson 1033;2 nd J C Reid Ballycarry & District H.P.S 1027.9; 3 rd J. Mc Maw
Carrick Social 1027.2; 4 th Cormac O’Hare & Daughter Ballyholland H.P.S 1022; 5 th Gary Hughes & Son
Newry City 1006; 6 th J. Mc Maw Carrick Social 1000; 7 th C. Mc Manus Corrigs H.P.S 983; 8 th P.
O’Connor Coleraine Premier 975; 9 th G&S Mc Mullan Drumnavady H.P.S 965; 10 th S&N Lester
Laurevale H.P.S 950; 11 th D. Calvin Bondhill H.P.S 904; 12 th G. Marsden Hillsborough & Maze H.P.S
900; 13 th S&N Lester Laurevale H.P.S 888; 14 th B. Chambers Ballyholland H.P.S 859; 15 th C. O’Hare &
Daughter Ballyholland H.P.S 787; 16 th W. Blair Ballymoney H.P.S 723; 17 th R. Adamson Lurgan Social
721; 18 th R. Corey Coalisland H.P.S 701; 19 th L. O’Neill & Sons Harmony H.P.S 686; 20 th T. Wilson
Gilford H.P.S 681;

Centre Results

Newry Centre – Cormac O’Hare & Dtr Ballyholland 1022, Gary Hughes & Son Newry City 1006,
Brendan Chambers Ballyholland 859, Cormac O’Hare & Dtr Ballyholland 787, Aidan McAteer & Sons
Ballyholland 659, Cormac O’Hare & Dtr Ballyholland 523, Owen Markey Ballyholland 488, Ron
Williamson Newry & District 472, Leo Fallon & Son 456, Peter Murtagh & Son 433, Aidan McAteer &
Sons 415
Lisburn Centre – G. Marsden Hillsborough & Maze H.P.S 900, G. Marsden Hillsborough & Maze H.P.S
665, G. Marsden Hillsborough & Maze H.P.S 662, W. Begley & Son Trinity R.P.C 614, G. Marsden
Hillsborough & Maze H.P.S 589, D. Coulter Glenavy & District H.P.S 587, G. Marsden Hillsborough &

Maze H.P.S 559, S&W English Lisburn & District H.P.S 528, M. Mairs 520, M. O’Reilly & Son 479, J.
Waring & Son Lisburn & District H.P.S 448

SECTION C REPORT; ST. MALO
The Winner of Section C (60/256) from St. Malo was J C Reid of Ballycarry & District H.P.S. He
Finishes 1 st Club, 1 st Section C (256 Birds) and 2 nd National N.I.P.A (1,309 Birds). Joe has timed a very
smart looking 3-year-old checker cock. He has been a good steady racer for him, and his bloodlines
are from Vandenabeele. Joe was delighted to time on the first night at 7:36PM flying 459 Miles to his
lofts from France. Many Congratulations to Section C Winners J C Reid and Big Congratulations to all
Club Winners. A Total of 9 birds were clocked in Section C

Ballycarry & District: 1 st J C Reid 1027; 2 nd N J Arthurs 580
Carrick Social: 1 st J Mc Maw 1027; 2 nd J. Mc Maw 1000; 3 rd Mr & Mrs R Reid & Son 480
Eastway H.P.S: 1 st J. Burrows 491
Jeff Mc Maw of Carrick Social pictured holding his 2 St. Malo heroes. He finishes 1 st , 2 nd Club, 2 nd , 3 rd
Section C, 3 rd & 6 th National. Jeff therefore wins the Devine Memorial Trophy which is for the Best 2
Bird Average from the St. Malo Old Bird National Race. Jeffs 2 birds are both from good friends the
Donaldsons at United Lofts. Jeff also timed and finished 13 th National Kings Cup
Nigel of N J Arthurs of Ballycarry & District pictured with his 2021 hen he timed from St. Malo. He
finished 2 nd Club, 6 th Section C, 39 th National. This hen is a Lambrechts Hen bred down from Danny
Dixons Pigeons. Nigel gets a great turn out of these birds. Well Done, Nigel.

SECTION D REPORT; ST. MALO
The Winner of Section D (32/115) from St. Malo was S&W English of Lisburn & District H.P.S. The
partnership of brothers Willie & Sam Finish’s 1 st Club, 1 st Section (115 Birds) and 45 th National N.I.P.A.
(1,309 Birds) Pictured all smiles holding their Section D winner which is a yearling blue Cheq cock. He
had 2 inland races from Fermoy & Pilmore Beach and across the channel to Talbenny. He is bred
from the new bloodline that Mark Gilbert races to a Dam from good friend and clubmate Michael
O’Reilly who also timed. He was just let out on the open trap flying round the loft and not paired
just calling a hen prior to the race. The duo was fortunate enough to time from all 3 French races
which is a great achievement they are both great clubmen and great craic for the sport and well
deserved. Many Congratulations to Section D Winners S&W English and Big congratulations to all
Club Winners. A Total of 4 birds were clocked in Section D

Dromore H.P.S: 1 st Tomlinson & Wilson 484
Glenavy & District: 1 st D. Coulter 587; 2 nd D. Coulter 261
Harmony H.P.S: 1 st L. O’Neill & Sons 686; 2 nd R&S Malcomson 660; 3 rd L. O’Neill & Sons 515
Hillsborough & Maze: 1 st G. Marsden 900; 2 nd G. Marsden 665; 3 rd G. Marsden 662; 4 th G. Marsden
589; 5 th G. Marsden 559; 6 th G. Marsden 319
Lisburn & District: 1 st S&W English 528; 2 nd M. Mairs 520; 3 rd M. O’Reilly & Son 479; 4 th J. Waring Sons
Trinity R.P.C: 1 st H. Begley & Son 614
Gary Marsden’s 2 Children proudly displaying their first bird of a total of 6 in a super tough race from
St. Malo which is a unbelievable achievement especially when finding out its only their 2nd old bird
season and sending to France for the first time, they clocked 6 birds: First one on the day at 21:14

Next day arrivals 07:59, 08:04, 10:32, 11:46 and 6 th on the 3 rd day at 11:04am. All pigeons sent were
raced on the roundabout system.
R&S Malcomson of Harmony H.P.S Mealy Grizzle sitting tight on her nest in cracking order after
flying home from France on the 2 nd morning after spending the night alone timing home at 7:49AM.
From the best of his old lines, and it was well spotted from the picture that even the wood on the
box says Class.
James Tomlinson’s wee woman GG of Tomlinson & Wilson proud as punch displaying their prized
bird from St. Malo timing at 2:52PM on the second day. James and GG set a goal this year to time a
pigeon from France his dream to do it and the pair done it and our both delighted your dad would be
super proud of you both congratulations to you both well deserved.
Liam O’Neil & Sons Martin & Gareth from Larne are buzzing after timing from all 3 French Races. The
lads train and set their stalls out for these races. They timed at 7.56AM from St. Malo and take top
spot in Harmony H.P.S. breeding is from their good Jack Jones Cock from good friends Geoff and
Clayton. The dam being ‘Dawn’ 3 rd Open St. Malo bird.

SECTION F REPORT; ST. MALO
The Winner of Section F (22/69) from St. Malo was Charlie McManus of Corrigs H.P.S. He finishes 1 st
Club, 1 st Section F (69 Birds) and 7 th National N.I.P.A (1,309 Birds). Charlie is pictured proudly
displaying the Section F Winning Pigeon from St. Malo. The winner is a 2-year-old roundabout hen.
She had 3 races, 2 inlands and a Talbenny. Her Sire was bred by his good friend Geordie McIntosh
Downpatrick from his ace distance birds. Her Dam is a hen he purchased from former BHW scribe
the late John ‘Dixy’ Dixon from Wales. Many Congratulations to Section F Winners C. McManus and
Big Congratulations to all Club Winners. A Total of 4 Birds were clocked in Section F
Bangor R.P.C: 1 st Burgess & Brennan 429
Corrigs: 1 st C. McManus 983
Killyleagh Central: 1 st J. Linden & Son 256

SECTION G REPORT; ST. MALO
The Winner of Section G (34/142) from St. Malo was Cormac O’Hare & Daughter of Ballyholland
H.P.S. Cormac finishes 1 st Club, 1 st Section (142 Birds) and 4 th National N.I.P.A (1,309 Birds) The
Section winner is a blue hen purchased from Alan McDonald of Portadown from the S.O.S. Sale in
Banbridge. Many Congratulations to C. O’Hare & Dtr and Big Congratulations to all Club Winners. A
Total of 11 birds were clocked in Section G
Ballyholland: 1 st C. O’Hare & Dtr 1022; 2 nd B. Chambers 859; 3 rd C. O’Hare & Dtr 787; 4 th A. McAteer &
Sons 659; 5 th C. O’Hare & Dtr 523; 6 th Owen Markey 488; 7 th Peter Murtagh & Son 433; 8 th A. McAteer
& Sons 415
Drumnavady: 1 st G&S McMullan 965
Newry City: 1 st Gary Hughes & Son 1006
Newry & District: 1 st Gary Hughes & Son 1006; 2 nd Ron Williamson 472; 3 rd Leo Fallon & Son 456
Brendan Chambers of Ballyholland was another member who timed on the day from St. Malo timing
his 2-year-old Blue Cheq Cock to finish 14 th National 3 rd Section G. This bird is from the house of
Arden padfields invincible an Jellema top bloodlines and top result.

Geoff & Stan McMullan of Drumnavady HPS timed GB 21 D 02163. The Sire inbreed drum cock of
Sammy Olges Dam granddaughter of Herman cuesters Olympic 003 Making him a half-brother of
Sammy's Ogles good, pied stock cock. He wasn't raced are trained as a young bird been a summer
breed. As a yearling he picked up a couple minor prizes. This year he was very consistent from the
first race. they finished 29th Section E and 68th open Bude two weeks earlier before winning 1st sec
E 9 th National St. Malo
Gary Hughes & Son Jordan of Newry City 3-year-old blue hen just home from France after flying 434
Miles to sit on her two 2-day old ybs fighting to protect her young. They finish 1 st Club Newry City, 1 st
Club Newry & District, 2 nd Section G, 5 th National also Winning £565 in Prize Money. She has been
newly named as "Titan" she is bred from 2 Racers bred by our great friend Alan Massey of Newtown
Kilpedder in Co. Wicklow from his top Distance Bloodlines originating to the best of G. O'Reilly &
Sons, Liam McCall, Pat Lambert French lines. Her Sire was 222nd National from N.I.P.A. St. Malo Old
Bird National in 2020. She was Trained with the Newry & Mourne Channel Club Transporter in
Skerries on the Coast 2-3 times a week. Her first race of the season was from Bude 246 Miles and
then she was sent to St. Malo

And that brings an end to the 2023 N.I.P.A. Old Bird Season. It has been a season to remember for all
from the First Race to the Last. I would like to thank everybody for their kind regards on my weekly
reports over the course of the Old Bird Season I thoroughly enjoyed writing them and chatting to
you all every week. I have made a lot of new friends right from the get-go and it’s great to be
building up friendships all over the country and afar over the love of the sport. I would like to thank
everybody that took the time to take photos and gather info for myself I really appreciate it.
I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate all the winners in the old bird season and I
would like to wish you all the very best of luck in the upcoming 2023 N.I.P.A Youngbird Season.

P.S I will be posting some Loft Reports I have in the pipeline and will be looking to publish soon.
Please feel free to contact myself about looking any info/loft reports to be published for your great
racing and breeding success to date.

N.I.P.A NOTES

On the 29 th of June the fancy learnt of the sad passing of Mr Stephen McGarry best known as ‘New
Kid on the Block’. Stephen sadly passed away in Hospital after a battle with illness. Stephen was a
one in a million character and known so well around the UK and Ireland and further afield. The
Ballymena native was a man ahead of his time with the best of progressive thinking ideas and always
looking to put his trademark on things which he did so well from his website ‘Pigeon Craic’, his skills
as an auctioneer and his great informative hard work that went into his scribing articles in the BHW
‘Abit of Craic’. When I was very young, I would have sat in many auction rooms bored to tears but as
soon as I went to one that Stephen was Auctioneer in, it was straight away different and better than
the auction. His witty and funny way of controlling the room was hilarious. No matter how hard the
bidder tried to hide away secretly you just could pick them out as Stephen would have them
breaking their poker face with a witty line or two.

After race day there was always a phone call from Stephen to Dad without fail, he would say ‘make
sure that wee younging of yours has his hair done for a photo by god he has some head of hair’
There is a massive void left in the sport that cannot be replicated. He was a great friend and even
bigger role model to look up to in scribing. May he Rest in Peace

Thank you for taking the time to read through my N.I.P.A Journey’s End Report

Yours in Sport , Jordan Hughes

Return to “Journey's End with Jordan Hughes”