Penzance YB Grand Nat - 1st Open Martin Graham

It was in 1932 that His Majesty King George V presented a new cup to the Irish National Flying Club to be known as The King George V Challenge Cup and was to be awarded to the winner of the OB Grand National.

The 1932 Grand National race was flown from Les Sables at a distance of some 600 miles and the race was won by R Hawthorn from Ligoniel in North Belfast.This race was flown under IHU rules and it was not until 1948 that the Kings Cup was flown under IHU and RPRA rules.The race in 1948 was won by Sammy Robinson from Belfast.

The Irish National Flying Club have a six race programme for the 2020 season which enables its members to compete in the inland Nationals or over the channel at the very highest level. I hope you will enjoy using the website as it will be a source of information through out the season. Good luck to all members competing in this years Nationals. Ronnie Johnston Patron INFC.

The INFC has 2,100 members across Ireland. The 6 Race Programme includes the famous Kings Cup from France. Friendship Nat is also France, Ylr Nat Sennen Cove, YB Nat Penzance and OB and YB Nat from Skibbereen. Numerous other awards including Gold Medal, Hall of Fame Diploma, Triple Championship, Single Bird Challenge, 3 Bird Championship, Merit Awards etc. Results, Reports, Latest News etc. See Website http://www.irishnationalflyingclub.com or http://www.infc.co.uk
willie reynolds

Penzance YB Grand Nat - 1st Open Martin Graham

Post by willie reynolds »

INFC Grand National Young Bird Penzance race marking times.
Trevor31 August 2023

INFC Grand National Penzance Young Bird National 2023 times for race marking.
Race Sponsored by Frazers Animal Feeds.

11:30 to 13:00 East Down Combine, Ulster Fed., N.I.P.A. sections C, F, and G and Individual north section members.
13:00 to 14.30 N.I.P.A. sections A, B, D, E, H.
14.30 to 15:30 South section members and Individual south section members.

Please take care when completing your entry forms, especially when totalling them up.
Attach your payment to the entry form and put your membership number on the back of your cheque or bank draft. If the payment covers more than one member please put all membership numbers on the back of the cheque or draft and please attach all of the entry forms together.
Payments will not be processed at the race marking to avoid queuing.
Any shortages will be removed from pool monies and any over payments will be added to pool monies.
(This can be avoided by accurately completing your entry form and payment.)
Any members paying by euro please remember to multiply the sterling grand total by 1.25 for the currency conversion.

Any help to race mark the pigeons would be appreciated.
Thank you for your cooperation and please all act responsibly when attending the marking centre and respect the facilities which have been kindly granted. Catering will be available as usual.

We will update on Sunday 3rd September 2023 to confirm if race marking will take place on Monday 4th September.
Trevor Topping I.N.F.C. Secretary.
Last edited by willie reynolds on Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
willie reynolds

Re: Penzance YB Grand Nat 2023

INFC Grand National Penzance Young Bird Race.
Sunday 3rd September 2023 @ 10:45Am

Grand National Penzance Young Bird Race Sponsored by Frazers Animal Feeds.

Race marking will take place on Monday 4th September 2023 as planned for a possible release in Penzance on Wednesday.

Race marking times as in the previous post. Thank you Trevor Topping.

Tuesday 05/09/23

2023 INFC Penzance young bird national there is a total of 1950 Birds sent. Good luck everyone. Lib update later.

Wednesday 06/09/23

Grand National Penzance Young Bird Race Liberation Wednesday 6th September 2023.
Trevor6 September 2023Uncategorised

Grand National Penzance Young Bird Race Wednesday 6th September 2023. Race Sponsored by Frazers Animal Feeds.

284 members have entered 1950 pigeons and are competing for £15,940.00 in pools and prize money.

The pigeons have been released at 07.45am in calm conditions wind on route light southerly.

Our next update will be this evening.Trevor Topping Secretary.

Grand National Penzance Y. B. Race Update Wednesday @ 22.30

Race sponsored by Frazers Animal Feeds. Wednesday 6th September 2023.

Provisional top ten in todays race. All positions are subject to change.

1. M. Graham Ballymena Vel. 1452

2. B & D Coyle Coleraine Premier Vel. 1448

3. N. Murtagh Millvale Vel. 1399

4. P. Boyd Annaghmore Vel.1396

5. S & E Buckley Edgarstown Vel. 1350

6. J. Smyth & Son Ahoghill Vel. 1332

7. D & H Stuart Ballymoney Vel. 1331

8. S & J Bones & Yeats Muckamore Vel. 1330

9. Mr & Mrs Magill Muckamore Vel. 1329

10. G. Marsden Hillsborough & Maze Vel. 1326

All prizes and pools have been claimed on the first day of the race.
willie reynolds

Re: Penzance YB Grand Nat - 1st Open Martin Graham

Martin Graham of Ballymena wins 1st Open INFC Penzance YB Grand National 329 Miles -

It gives me great pleasure to again write about my good friend Martin Graham for the second time this season. The first time was on the 14th June when Martin timed his blue pied hen "Den's Lass" at 14.24pm to win 1st Open in the Irish National Flying Club Penzance Yearling National. This was Martin's third National win having won the same race in 2018 with "Denman" who was in fact the sire of "Dens Lass" and Martin's other National win came back in 2004 when he won 1st Open in the Nipa Skibbereen OB Inland National with "Sunnyhill Lass" Martin's fourth National win arrived on Wednesday 6th September when he timed his blue w/f hen "Sammy's Girl" at 14.24pm to win 1st Open INFC Penzance Young Bird National velo1452 after flying 329 miles to the fabulous lofts on the Old Cullybackey Road in Ballymena. The National winner herself "Sammy's Girl" had all the young bird races including the Dale National being the first bird home 3rd club and 110th Open and in-between races was privately tossed both north and south road with the wind always on her head. She was bought in a kit of young birds from one of Irelands top racers and breeders Paddy & William McManus of Ahoghill. The sire now retired was a fantastic racing cock winning a stack of prizes including 1st Section & 10th Open Nipa Penzance/Classic 2022 velo 1421. He was bred from two of the pigeon's Paddy and William brought in from Louis Thijs (100% Leo Heremans). The National winners dam is a direct Van Den Brande hen. Something of interest, both Martin's National winners this year were timed at 14.24pm how bizarre is that. To win one National in a season is an achievement but to win two is quite incredible and both of them flying the toughest channel route in the UK. It might also be the first time a fancier has ever won two INFC channel Nationals in the same season. Martin Graham is now up there with the best National racers in Ireland and the United Kingdom, and I can see him adding more wins to his CV over the coming years.

Martin penned a few words about the run up to his fourth National win. After a 4-year break from racing young birds competitively I decided to have another go at the Penzance YB National, a race I've tried so hard to win for many years. My best efforts over the years got me many Open prizes including my best result's 11th, 13th, 15th & 18th Open with only failing to time once (2007) in 13 years. This season I put 12 youngsters bred off my own stock on the darkness, and I made contact with the famous partnership of Paddy & William McManus of Ahoghill to enquire if they would be willing to sell me 12 young birds for a bit of fun up Ireland. My good friend Sammy Steele who has been a great help and encouragement to me, and helped train my pigeon's for the Nationals this year. Sammy and I bought the 12 young birds from Paddy and William and we had good sport with them timing them in the prizes most weeks. The hen in question that has now been christened "Sammy's Girl " was sent to Dale National the previous weekend and she was my first bird to the loft finishing 3rd club and 110th Open Nipa 222 miles on velocity 1322 flying 4 minutes short of 5 hours. I'd noticed that a pair of young ones in the loft were feeding a small chick and she would have tried to cover the chick and sometimes she managed to push her way on to the nest and sit beside the other hen but more often the cock chased her away. She was still keen to claim the chick and would sit on a block above the nest and would always be looking down at the chick. On the Sunday after the Dale National which was the day before basketing for the Penzance National I gave the birds a bath and in the evening I noticed a real change in her appearance, she looked very sharp and her feathering was so tight. I made my mind up she was for the Penzance YB National and the rest is now history, and I was fortunate to win a second national within a few months. Martin would like to thank everyone who phoned or sent messages to congratulate him on his success and said it means a lot to him and he appreciates every last one of them. In closing I would like to congratulate Martin once again for this season's National performances and wish him all the best for the future Nationals. Mervyn Eagleson Mid Antrim PO.

INFC race report by Homer

1st North Section, 1st Open M Graham Ballymena & District, vel 1452 flying 329 miles winning £380 plus the J M K McGugan Perpetual Cup for the winner.

Other than the Kings Cup which was won on several occasions locally the major race each year with the best results was the Blue Riband YB Nat and the famous J M K McGugan Cup. It was first flown in 1948 from Milford Haven and was won by the late Norman Rea from Crumlin recording velocity 838. Penzance has been the point, for the vast majority of races, it was first flown in 1967 and a number of times since, always hard good day or bad day. In the local area many of previous winners were household names in the sport, in the new era Martim Graham has joined those ranks, a third-generation fancier his late father Robert was the former Chairman in Ballymena & Dist, a club where Martin is the current Vice-Chairman. Martin lives beside where the late William McIlroy raced his birds, he won Penzance in 1980 timing his winner in lashing rain. See the above detailed report by Mervyn Eagleson the Mid Antrim PO.

The full winning list is featured in the pigeon network website under INFC History.
J M K McGugan Perpetual Cup – YB Channel Grand National
1948 Milford Haven N Rea Crumlin 838
1949 Skibbereen Burrell & Son Lurgan 1223
1950 Milford Haven Burrell & Son Lurgan 444
1951 Milford Haven G Nixon Belfast 737
1952 Milford Haven R Best Lurgan 831
1953 Milford Haven S & G Boyd Randalstown 454
1954 Milford Haven W Mallon Lisburn 965
1955 Milford Haven J Gillespie Randalstown 827
1956 Milford Haven D McNeilly Ballyclare 969
1957 Milford Haven R Mason & Son Bangor 1099
1958 Milford Haven D Suitters Doagh 1106
1959 Milford Haven E G Leckey Cullybackey 1172
1960 Milford Haven Devine & Devine Ballymoney 542
1961 Milford Haven T Molloy Donacloney 1096
1962 Milford Haven Dowie & McCallum Lurgan 1269
1963 Bude Gray & Lowry Ballymena 1006
1964 Milford Haven Smyth Bros Ballymena 1284
1965 Bude E Herron & Son Holywood 879
1966 Cork J & W Machie Belfast 1798
1967 winner deleted.
1968 Penzance McBride Bros/McBride Ligoniel 1279
1969 Penzance Loughlin Bros & Whiteside Antrim 822
1970 Penzance Gilmour & Beattie Newtownbreda 914
1971 Penzance R Harkness Crumlin 938
1972 Penzance W V Troughton Portadown 890
1973 Penzance S Herbison & Son Cullybackey 1192
1974 Penzance No Competition
1975 Penzance McAuley Bros Carnlough 1031
1976 Penzance J Mulgrew & Son Dromore 792
1977 Penzance A P & J McConville Lisburn 1090
1978 Penzance J W & T Harper Ballymena 989
1979 Penzance W V Troughton Portadown 968
1980 Penzance W McIlroy Ballymena 1126
1981 Penzance Bell Bros Randalstown 1294
1982 Penzance S Smyth Ballymena 1138
1983 Skibbereen G Herron & Son Kells 1377
1984 Perth B Fletcher & Son Laurelvale 312
1985 Skibbereen Mallon Bros Hills & Maze 1551
1986 Skibbereen A & R Glass Larne 1261
1987 Penzance J Burrows Merville 1647
1988 Penzance Mr & Mrs Magill Randalstown 1201
1989 Talbenny B Swann & Son Kells 1513
1990 Penzance R Duddy Ballyclare 534
1991 Penzance J Patterson & Son Muckamore 1059
1992 Penzance Kelly Bros Malahide 1339
1993 Penzance S Darcy Greenhills 1173
1994 Penzance J Lennox Rasharkin 1322
1995 Penzance V Kelly & Son Kish Inv 1309
1996 Penzance E Campbell Balbriggan 810
1997 Penzance J Eagleson & Sons Harryville
1998 Penzance Walker & Watson Killyleagh
1999 Penzance R H Clements Harryville
2000 Talbenny T Sinnamon Son & McManus Donacloney
2001 Skibbereen J & M Magee Lisburn & Dist 1354
2002 Penzance S Corrigan Loughgall
2003 Penzance T Wilson Gilford
2004 Wadebridge G Buckley & Son Annaghmore
2005 Wadebridge G Calvin & Son Annaghmore
2006 Sennen Cove G Buckley & Son Annaghmore 1006
2007 Sennen Cove C & L Woodside Ballyclare 844
2008 Sennen Cove R Cassells Edgarstown 1134
2009 Penzance Donnelly Bros Newry City 1023
2010 Penzance D Dixon Ballymoney 1311
2011 Penzance S Millar Randalstown 1417
2012 Penzance Cullen & Burke Arklow Utd 1548
2013 Penzance H Cordner Annaghmore 1648
2014 Penzance B McCarthy Cork Fed 1318
2015 Penzance L Magee & Son Lisburn & Dist 975
2016 Penzance M Robinson Bondhill Soc 1631
20`7 Penzance Jeff Greenaway Dromore 1055
2018 Penzance Telford Bros/S & J Milligan Downpatrick 1249
2019 Penzance K Henderson & Son Lurgan Soc 1389
2020 No Race
2021 Bude D & B Lyness Lurgan Social 969
2022 Penzance Larkin Bros Blackwatertown WE 1238
2023 Penzance M Graham Ballymena 1452.

2nd North Section, 2nd Open B & D Coyle Coleraine Premier, vel 1448 flying 345 miles winning £367.

Coleraine Centre result from INFC Young Bird National Penzance had a super bird in the Coleraine Premier HPS. . Congratulations Bobby & Danny Coyle - Super flying from a loft on fire. Bobby’s winner today was bred by his friend Tony McCrudden from Derry & District an ace racer in that area. Bobby has now named her “Derry Girl”, just perfect. Probably a best season for this partnership who I well remembering covering back in the days of Portstewart HPS and the Sect A Combine. Adriam Moffatt PO.

3r.d North Section, 3rd Open Noel Murtagh Millvale, vel 1399 flying 283 miles winning £369.

Congratulations Noel Murtagh from Milvale HPS winning 3rd Open INFC Penzance young bird National, this pigeon also came 3rd in Newry Citys Gold Ring race from Dale Nat in South Wales. Included in this photo Bart Pigeons (left) who bred the parents for Noel. Jordan Hughes PO.

4th North Section, 4th Open Philip Boyd Annaghmore, vel 1396 flying 302 miles winning £274.

Philip Boyd timed a home bred blue hen her breeding is Leo Van Rijn x Soojents a line that have served Phillip well over the years. She was flying to a nest box and was previously 23rd Open, 19th section Dale YB National. Philip sent her to Penzance as she was very keen to the nest box. She romped home and was timed in at 14.05hrs to take 1st Club, 4th Open, 4th North Section. Simmo PO.

5th North Section, 5th Open S & E Buckley Edgarstown, vel 1350 flying 299 miles winning £217.

First of all Simon and Eric would like to thank the late Paddy O'Neil and son Michael (Grosvenor HPS) for gifting us the sire and dam of the wee hen that finished 5th North Section and 5th National. The sire is Walter Docx and the dam is van Wildermeersch. The wee hen was a darkness young bird she was raced right up till Fermoy then she was let sit because she had started to nosy at a young cock. When we were weaning this hen at a young age she was Da’s pick for this race. Would like to thank Tommy McClean for his help getting them down to be raced marked.

6th North Section, 6th Open J Smyth & Son Ahoghill Flying Club, vel 1332 flying 329 miles winning £95.

Jimmy Smyth & Son are a top racing loft in the village of Ahoghill on the outskirts of Ballymena. Jimmy's no stranger when it comes to timing in the big channel National's regularly winning prizes in the Top 30 and only a few season's ago, won 8th Open in a hard Lamballe Friendship National velo 626. The bird Jimmy timed in the Penzance National is class blue chequer cock in excellent condition. He was timed at 2.59pm and was flying 7 hours 14 minutes. The cock's nestmate a chequer hen won 1st Section & 3rd Open Nipa Kilbeggan (2) 14072 birds and like the cock was in some order. Sire of the nestmates was from Mark Milliken of Rasharkin & District and is a De Zot Lambrecht, this cock won the club from Talbenny on two occasions for Jimmy. The dam is Jimmy's old bloodlines, and she also has a first club from Talbenny. This pair have bred Jimmy at least six channel winners and a 1st Club, 1st Ahoghill Centre Talbenny YB National for clubmate at the time Adrian Shiels. Jimmy's had another excellent season with some highlights being 1st Combine, 1st Section B and 21st Open Nipa Bude 5452 birds, 2nd Section B & 7th Open Nipa Penzance 5019 birds, 1st Section B & 3rd Open Nipa Kilbeggan 14072 birds, 97th & 113th Open Dale YB National 2897 birds and now 2nd Combine & 6th Open Infc Penzance YB National 1950 birds. Mervyn Eagleson Mid Antrim PO.

7th North Section, 7th Open D & H Stuart Ballymoney HPS, vel 1331 flying 346 miles winning £76.

This darkness young bird in 7th Open is a cheq cock who had the first 6 YB races, then sent to Dale YB Nat where this young cock was 25th Open and 1st Sect B flying 240 miles. He was then sent to Penzance YB Nat to record 7th Open flying 346 miles. His breeding is Leo Hereman x Staf Van Reet. He was flown around the loft and trained from Moira by CT Training Service. In recent years in this particular race the loft has won 3rd Open, 5th Open and now this year 7th Open at 346 miles.

8th North Section, 8th Open S & J Bones and T Yates Muckamore, vel 1330 flying 312 miles winning £438.

This partnership is not too long formed and compete with the best in the local club, many win recorded and a host of other positions. Always prominent in the young bird season they can also score through to France, recent top results include 1st Sect & 4th Open NIPA St Malo and 2nd Sect in the Talbenny YB National.

9th North Section, 9th Open Mr & Mrs Magill Muckamore, vel 1329 flying 321 miles winning £101

Mr and Mrs Magill still live in Randalstown but now race their birds with Muckamore HPS, interested only in long distance racing. In the late 80s they enjoyed great success winning Penzance YB Nat from Penzance in 1988 and the National Championship, and the next season from Sartilly the Friendship OB Nat. Nothing compares to winning the Blue Riband Kings Cup, A Simpson and Son brought the trophy to Randalstown in 1974 from Nantes with Champion Shean and Muckamore are also previous winners for Goudy Bros in 1964 also from Nantes. Mr & Mrs Magill won with “Champion Paula” from St Allouestre in 2016.

10th North Section, 10th Open Gary Marsden Hillsborough & Maze, vel 1326 flying 307 miles winning £58.

Gary Marsden is a new member in the sport and so far has had quite a record, previously racing with Glernavy & District and now moved to Hillsborough & Maze. Top result so far was clocking six birds over 2 days and finishing 12th Open NIPA St Malo OB National. This latest winner finishing 10th Open Penzance was bred by Joesy Kelly of Dromore HPS who themselves had an early bird in this race.

1st South Section, 28th Open INFC D Mooney Dublin North County, vel 1255 flying 232 miles winning £738 plus William Erwin Memorial Cup for 1st South Section YB Channel National

On behalf of Dick Mooney and myself we would like to thank Trevor Cahill and family for breading us a few young birds this year. I met Trevor a few years ago and have to say he is a gentleman, and his wife Denise is a lady. I was made so welcome by his family when I first entered their home and when I went out to the loft I fell in love. Since then I’ve got birds from him and have got wins with them. I got out of birds last year but I got involved with Dicky at the end of the year and introduced him to Trevor and we got a team of young birds and set are stall for to get one win and that was are plan. Up to now we have got that win and a few second and a few more positions but last week we sent a few to Talbenny and got 38th in the fed with a hen from Trevor. We made are minds up to send four birds to Penzance National. We got all four of them back on the day and the same hen was first back. She was 28th national, 1st south section. The second bird home was the nest mate of the hen so over the moon. This is Dicky second time winning the south section. He won it back in 2016 12th national 1st south section with a cock he bred himself, so he isn’t a novice at this. Dicky and myself would like to thank Trevor and the Cahill Family for all their help. Anthony Keogh PO.

Results INFC Penzance:-

INFC Penzance YB Grand Nat Open 284/1950 – Martin Graham Ballymena 1452, B & D Coyle Coleraine Prem 1448, Noel Murtagh Millvale 1399, P Boyd Annaghmore 1396, S & E Buckley Edgarstown 1350, J Smyth & Son Ahoghill 1332, D & H Stuart Ballymoney 1331, S & J Bones and T Yates Muckamore 1330, Mr & Mrs Magill Muckamore 1329, Gary Marsden Hills & Maze 1326, Tomlinson & Wilson Dromore 1321, O & M Monaghan Colin 1317, Robert Shaw Corrigs 1316, J Kelly & Sons Hills & Maze 1315, M McCabe Harmony 1309, Jeff Greenaway Hills & Maze 1302, A Darragh Cullybackey 1301, Sean McLoughlin Crossgar 1294,J Brush Drunavaddy 1291, J Kelly & Sons Hills & Maze 1287.

INFC Penzance YB Grand Nat North Sect 169/1218 – Martin Graham Ballymena 1452, B & D Coyle Coleraine Prem 1448, Noel Murtagh Millvale 1399, P Boyd Annaghmore 1396, S & E Buckley Edgarstown 1350, J Smyth & Son Ahoghill 1332, D & H Stuart Ballymoney 1331, S & J Bones and T Yates Muckamore 1330, Mr & Mrs Magill Muckamore 1329, Gary Marsden Hills & Maze 1326, O & M Monaghan Colin 1317, Robert Shaw Corrigs 1316, J Kelly & Sons Hills & Maze 1315, M McCabe Harmony 1309, Jeff Greenaway Hills & Maze 1302, A Darragh Cullybackey 1301, Sean McLoughlin Crossgar 1294,J Brush Drunavaddy 1291, J Kelly & Sons Hills & Maze 1287, McCullough & Dickson Fortfield 1280.

INFC Penzance YB Grand Nat South Sect 115/707 – Dick Mooney Dublin North County 1255, Hand & Kallmeter Skerries 1255, T McLoughlin & Son Finglas 1202 E Barry Dublin North East 1201, Patrick Arthur Boyne Valley 1175, Tom Kavanagh Drogheda & Dist 1139, C & T Murphy Newtown Kilpedder 1132, MRRIGAN Bros Rathnew 1124, S Dunne & Son Balbriggan 1114, P & J Jones Sherries 1097, Gary Doyle Arklow United 1096, Hand & Kallmeter Skerries 1048, P Rock & Son Dublin North East 1038, Gary Doyle Arklow United 1026, Merrigan Bros Rathnew 1016.

NIPA (INFC Penzance YB Nat) - Martin Graham Ballymena 1452, B & D Coyle Coleraine Prem 1448, Noel Murtagh Millvale 1399, P Boyd Annaghmore 1396, S & E Buckley Edgarstown 1350, J Smyth & Son Ahoghill 1332, D & H Stuart Ballymoney 1331, S & J Bones and T Yates Muckamore 1330, Mr & Mrs Magill Muckamore 1329, Gary Marsden Hills & Maze 1326, Tomlinson & Wilson Dromore 1321, O & M Monaghan Colin 1317, Robert Shaw Corrigs 1316, J Kelly & Sons Hills & Maze 1315, M McCabe Harmony 1309, Jeff Greenaway Hills & Maze 1302, A Darragh Cullybackey 1301,J Brush Drunavaddy 1291, J Kelly & Sons Hills & Maze 1287, S & N Maginty Muckamore 1277.

Irish SR Fed (INFC Penzance YB Nat) – D Mooney Dublin North County 1255, T McLoughlin & Son Finglas 1202, E Barry Dublin NE 1201, To Kavanagh Drogheda & Dist 1139, Merrigan Bros Rathnew 1124, P Rock & Son Dublin NE 1038, Merrigan Bros 1016, P Rock & Son 992, 977, S Duran Blanchardstown 971, T McLoughlin & Son 956, S Duran 939, Brady & Burton Sallynoggin 920, S Duran 882, Mark Harnett Kildonagh RPC 875, P Rock & Son 860.

East Coast Fed Dublin (INFC Penzance YB Nat) – Hand & Kallmeyer Skerries 1255, P Arthur Boyne Valley 1175, S Dunne & Son Balbrigan 1114, P & J Jones Skerries 1097, Hand & Kallmeter Skerries 1048, Devine & Himli Skerries 944, P J Corcoran & Son Balbriggan 904, Devine & Himli 890, 883, 782.
South Leinster Fed (INFC Penzance YB Nat) – C & T Murphy Newtown Kilpedder 1132, Gary Doyle Arklow United 1096, Gary Doyle Arklow United 1026, Dillon Doran Arklow United 1003, Maghery & Arklow United 780.

Mid Antrim Combine Penzance YB Grand National - Martin Graham Ballymena 1452, J Smyth & Son Ahoghill 1332, A Darragh Cullybackey 1301, A Darragh Cullybackey 1223, D Dixon Rasharkin 1201, D Dixon Rasharkin 1196, D Dixon Rasharkin 1181, J McNeill & Son Randalstown 1142, J McNeill & Son Randalstown 1076, Balmer & T Young & Sons Ahoghill 1065, Blair & Rankin Ballymena 1059, H Turkington Kells 1042, D Dixon Rasharkin 1032, D Dixon Rasharkin 1032, D Dixon Rasharkin 1028, D Dixon Rasharkin 955, J McNeill & Son Randalstown 930, Martin Graham Ballymena 895, Mr & Mrs Robinson Cullybackey 850, D Dixon Rasharkin 838, Martin Graham Ballymena 831, Joey Wright Ballymena 828, Martin Graham Ballymena 793.

East Antrim Combined Penzance YB Nat – A & T Agnew Ballyclare 1268, A Thompson Ballyclare 1167, A Thompson 1163, A & T Agnew 1137, A & T Agnew 1133, A Thompson 1106, J & D Braniff Glen 1086, 1002, A & N Lewis Doagh & Dist 990, A Thompson 961, A & N Lewis 941, T Cairns & Sons Kingsmoss 911, Bingha & Seaton Ligoniel 905, A Thompson 899, W Gault & Son Kingsmoss 890.

INFC Station/Centre Results Penzance YB Grand National -

Muckamore Station Penzance YB Nat – M Graham Ballymena 1452, J Smyth & Son Ahoghill 1332, S & J Bones and T Yates Muckamore 1330, M/M Magill Muckamore 1329, A Darragh Cullybackey 1301, S & N Maginty Muckamore 1277, A & T Agnew Ballyclare 1268, S & J Bones and T Yates 1244, A Darragh 1223, A Thompson Ballyclare 1167, A Thompson 1163, J McNeill & Son Randalstown 1142, A & T Agnew 1137, A & T Agnew 1133, S & J Bones and T Yates 1126, S & J Bones and T Yates 1109, S & J Bones and T Yates 1109, A Thompson 1106, J & D Braniff 1086, N Lusty Muckamore 1086.

Coleraine Station Penzance YB Nat – B & D Coyle Coleraine Prem 1448, D & H Stuart Ballymoney 1331, D & H Stuart 1262, B & D Coyle 1242, D Dixon Ballymoney 1201, D Dixon 1196, B & D Coyle 1186, D Dixon 1181, Stephen Laverty Ballymoney 1122, B & D Coyle 1064, B & D Coyle 1064, D & H Stuart 1050.

Banbridge Station Penzance YB Nat – Noel Murtagh Millvale 1399, Tomlinson & Wilson Dromore 1321, R Shaw 1316, J Kelly & Sons Hills & Maze 1315, Jeff Greenaway Hills & Maze 1302, J Brush Drumnavaddy 1291, J Kelly & Sons 1287, Donnelly Bros Newry City 1258, A McAteer & Sons Ballyholland 1251, Donnelly Bros 1241, C O’Hare & Son Ballyholland 1233, W Chambers 1225, Jeff Greenaway 1215, Jeff Greenaway 1210, J Murtagh & Son 1185, C McManus 1174, J Brush 1149, Jeff Greenaway 1098, Chloe Chambers 1090, G McEvoy Beechpark Social 1085.

Portadown Centre Penzance YB Nat – P Boyd Annaghmore 1396, S & E Buckley Edgarstown 1350, Matt McCabe Meadows 1309, D Calvin Bondhill 1266, G Buckley & Son Annaghmore 1258, Matt McCabe 1255, R Telford Annaghmore 1219, R G & G Donaldson Edgarstown 1216, Sam Corrigan Loughgall 1208, Matt McCabe 1201, K Henderson & Son Lurga Soc 1189, Larkin Bros 1167.

Balbriggan Station Penzance YB Nat – Dick Mooney 1255, Hand & Kallmeyer 1255, T McLoughlin & Son 1202, E Barry 1201, P Arhur Jnr 1175, T Kavanagh 1139, P & J Jones 1097, Hand & Kallmeyer 1048, P Rock & Son 1038, Zeballos & Thorpe 1007, P Rock & Son 992, P Rock & Son 977, S Duran 971, T Halpin & Son 958, T McCullough & Son 956, Devine & Hilmi 944, S Duran 939, P J Corcoran & Son 904, Devine & Hilmi 890.

Wicklow Station Penzance – Murphy Bros Newtown Kilpedder 1132, Merrigan Bros Rathnew 1124 , Gary & Mark Doyle Arklow United 1096, Gary & Mark Doyle 1026, Merrigan Bros 1016, Dylan Doran Arklow United 1003, Gregory Bros 952, Fran Cullen Blackwater RPC 947, Gregory Bros 919, 815, Maghery & O’Reilly Arklow United 780.

INFC Clubs Penzance YB Grand National
Ballymena & District- Martin Graham 1452, Blair & Rankin 1059, Martin Graham 895, 831, Joey Wright 828, Martin Graham 793.
Coleraine Premier HPS – B & D Coyle 1448, 1242, 1186, 1064, 1064.
Millvale – Noel Murtagh 1399, Donnelly Bros 1258, 1241, Mark Maguire & Son 971, Donnelly Bros 909.
Annaghmore – P Boyd 1396, G Buckley & Sons 1258, R Telford 1219, R Buckley 1165, R Telford 1121, J & E Calvin 1082, 1057, 1046, G Buckley & Sons 1001, P Boyd 965, R Telford 935, J & E Calvin 935.
Edgarstown HPS – S & E Buckley 1350, R G & G Donaldson 1216, 1100, A & R Neill 1077, R G & G Donaldson 1056, 1027, 984, G & C Simmons 957, R Cassells 88.,
Ahoghill Flying Club – J Smyth & Son 1332, Balmer Young & Sons 1065.
Ballymoney HPS – D & H Stuart 1331, 1262, D Dixon 1201, 1196, 1181, S Lavery 1122, D & H Stuart 1050, D Dixon 1032, 1032, 1028, 955, 838.
Dervock PRS – D & H Stuart 1331, 1262, S Lavery 1122, D & H Stuart 1050.
Muckamore HPS – S & J Bones and T Yates 1330, Mr & Mrs Magill 1329, S & N Maginty 1277, S & J Bones and T Yates 1244, 1126, 1109, 1109, N Lusty 1086, S & N Maginty 1030, 1026, Mr & Mrs Magill 945.
Hillsborough & Maze- Gary Marsden 1326, J Kelly & Sons 1315, Jeff Greenaway 1302, J Kell & Sons 1287, Jeff Greenaway 1215, 1210, 1098, J Kelly & Sons 1069, E Russell 1064, Jeff Greenaway 1060, 1002, 970, 926.
Dromore HPS – Tomlinson & Wilson 1321.
Colin HPS – O & M Monaghan 1317, 1072, Johnston Bros 1064, O & M Monaghan 1047, Johnston Bros 1032.
Corrigs – Robert Shaw 1316, C McManus 1174, Robert Shaw 1026.
Harmony HPS – M McCabe 1309, 1255, 1201, 1131, 1129, H McAvoy 1115, 1094, 1031, 898, M McCabe 891.
Meadows HPS – M McCabe 1309, 1255, 1201, Larkin Bros 1167, 1155, M McCabe 1131. Massive congratulations to the newest member of the Meadows, Matt McCabe on a truly fantastic result from today’s race with 6 of the Top 12 in the result. What a way to get your first win in a new club! Absolutely delighted with the team performance off the birds on Wednesday from the INFC Penzance YB National. 7 clocked from 8 sent and all 7 making the result with 5 in the top hundred, finishing a high of 15th open to follow on from last year’s 13th open. Flying 302 miles. Matt.
Cullybackey HPS – Alan Darragh 1301, 1223, M/M Robinson 850.
Crossgar – Sean McLoughlin 1294, P Byrne & Son 1232, 1085, 1057, C McManus & Daughter 1055, Adair & McCombs 997.
Drumnavaddy Inv HPS – J Brush 1291, 1149, E McAlinden & Sons 1047, 1045, 1032, J Brush 935, B McAvoy 906, W McDowell & Son 869, E McAlinden & Sons 816, B McAvoy 800.
Fortfield – McCullough & Dickson 1280.
Ballyclare & District – A & T Agnew 1268, A Thompson 1167, 1163, A & T Agnew 1137, 1133, A Thompson 1106, 961, 899.
Bondhill Social – David Calvin 1266, John Greenaway 1063, 1012.
Dublin North County – D Mooney 1255, 761, 754.
Skerries – Hand & Kallmeyer 1255, P & J Jones 1097, Hand & Kallmeyer 1048, Devine & Himli 944, 890, 883, 782.
Ballyholland – A McAteer & Sons 1251, C O’Hare & Son 1233, J Murtagh & Son 1185, 1060, M Peters 1007, J Murtagh & Son 952.
Newry & District – W Chambers 1225, Chloe Chambers 1090.
Killyleagh Central – C Healy 1213, Gordon Bros & Sons 923.
Loughgall – Sam Corrigan 1208, John McGeary 920, Sam Corrigan 886.
Finglas – T McLoughlin & Son 1202, 956, 751, 750, N McGuire 723.
Killyleagh & District – Morrison Bros 1201, 1074.
Dublin Northeast RPC – E Barry 1201, P Rock & Son 1038, 992, 977, 860, 849, 778, 741, 728.
Lurgan Social – K Henderson & Son 1189, 1010.
Boyne Valley – Patrick Arthur 1175.
Coalisland & District – G Quinn 1145, 1098, S Hughes 1081.
Randalstown HPS – J McNeill & Son 1142, 1076, 903.
Drogheda& District – Tom Kavanagh 1139.
Newtown Kilpedder – C & T Murphy 1132, 679.
Ballywalter SPC – C & L Kelly & Sons 1129.
Newtownbreda – Tom Marshall & Son 1129, 1034.
Rathnew – Merrigan Bros 1124, 1016, Gregory Bros 952, 919, 815, Merrigan Bros 733, J & W Smullen 725, 685.
Balbriggan Inv – S Dunne & Son 1114, P J Corcoran & Son 904, E & J Campbell 751, P J Corcorn & Son 748.
Arklow United RPC – Gary Doyle 1096, 1026, Dillon Doran 1003, Maghery & O’Reilly 780, Gary Doyle 766, Maghery & O’Reilly 673.
The Glen HPS – J & D Braniff 1086, 1002.
Beechpark Social - G McEvoy 1085, D Mawhinney & Son 1020, S & J McCullough 1010,
Derriaghy – R Benson 1082.
Gilford & District – Dillon & Morrow 1064, 1046, C & H Beattie 896, 872, O Fitzpatrick & Son 866, 846.
Banbridge HPS – R Carson & Son 1063, E McAlinden & Sons 1047, 1045, 1032, McCracken Bros 921, 884, E McAlinden & Sons 816, T Mallon 811.
Cloughey – Mark Keenan & Partners 1059.
Kells & District HPS – Henry Turkington 1042.
Glenavy & District – Harry McKeown 1023.
Trim RPC – Zeballos & Thorpe 1007, 783, 767, 709, 701, 698, 678.
NI Middle Route – Maurice Weir 995.
Doagh & District HPS – A & N Lewis 990, 941.
Markethill HPS – Richard McCracken 982.
Blanchardstown RPC - S Duran 971, 939, 882, Paul Foster 857, S Duran 737, 731, J McLoughlin 731.
Dromara – N Black & Son 969, Matthew Russell 882.
Mulhddart Channel RPC – T Halpin & Son 958, Pat Fortune 870.
Blackwater RPC – Fran Cullen 947. Yesterday saw the South Leinster Fed race from Penzance in Southwest England with the Irish National Flying Club. The Blackwater RPC winner was Fran Cullen and Karolina Mroczek. Their blue tip hen which was having it's 2nd race in 5 days, it was the partnerships 3rd bird from a new race point Dale in Wales just Saturday gone. Fran is the secretary of Blackwater RPC, and is a trojan worker for the club which we are all very grateful for. Frans job takes him all over the country, he is gone from home early in the morning and doesn't arrive back until late at night, that leaves the day to day management of the pigeons to be carried out by the lovely Karolina and she does a super job!! She has the birds in tip top shape. The condition of the pigeons is excellent which can be clearly seen in the photo. Massive well done guys.
Sallynoggin – Brady & Burton 920, W Matthews 689, Ray Matthews & Family 637, W Matthews 533, Ray Matthews & Family 522, Brady & Burton 2nd day.
Kingsmoss – T Cairns & Sons 911, W Gualt & Son 890,
Ligoniel & District – Bingham & Seaton 905.
Kildonagh RPC – Mark Harnett 875.
Donnycarney J B Ryan 784.
Shelbourne Premier – M & J Byrne & Sons 700.
Castlebellingham – J Sharkey 665, Graham Hatch 657.

The race was sponsored by Frazers Animal Feeds in Banbridge many thanks for their continued support. The INFC Committee are grateful once again for all the help at the race marking, and also, all those involved in the various Clock Centres across Ireland including the temporary stations an Edgarstown in Portadown, Newry/Banbridge and Coleraine, every little bit of help is appreciated. On a personal note, many thanks to all those who supplied text and photos for this report or helped in any other way. The more info we get the better job can be done, any little snips, details of the bird itself, plus info on the sire and dam. Any awards won previous, how long in the birds etc. ASAP after the race. Just to finish well done to the Race Control team Al Larkin, Peter McKeown, and Jim Armstrong for their efforts. An almost impossible job with plenty of experts looking on. Well done to all concerned when they have success, they need congratulated. For this season I featured Clubs/Feds and Combines and added some photos not included in the Top 10 report giving some extra coverage on performance. Remember the Top 10 bird info is required for the overall race report, contact details are published in the Race Entry Booklet.

Homer - Willie Reynolds INFC Press Officer
Tel/Fax: (028) 256 44683
Mobile: 07538 238364
Twitter: willie reynolds@homerbhw
Email: homerbhw@gmail.com
http://www.infcpigeons.co.uk
http://www.pigeonnetwork.com
http://www.irishnationalflyingclub.com
www.niparacingpigeons.co.uk
www.elimarpigeons.com

Photo Captions

4 times National winner Martin Graham with "Sammy's Girl".

"Sammy's Girl" 1st Open Penzance YB Grand National 2023.

Fabulous Loft of Martin Graham Ballymena & District HPS.

Bobby and Danny Coyle of Coleraine Premier holding 2nd Open INFC Penzance.
The B & D Coyle bird “Derry Girl”, 2nd Open INFC Penzance bred by Tony McCrudden.
Noel Murtagh from Millvale in Newry winner of 3rd Open INFC Penzance.
Philip Boyd from Annaghmore, 4th North Sect & 4th Open INFC.
The S & E Buckley team 1st Club Edgarstown HPS and 5th Open INFC.
Da’s Choice” winner of 5th Open INFC Penzance for S & E Buckley of Edgarstown.
Jimmy Smyth from Ahoghill FC, 1st Club, 2nd MAC and 6th Open INFC Penzance.
D & H Stuart from Ballymoney added to the big results with 7th Open INFC Penzance.
The high-flying Bones & Yates team from Muckamore, 5 early birds plus 8th Open Penzance.
Previous winner of the Blue Riband YB Nat Mr & Mrs Magill from Muckamore, 9th Open.
“Champion Paula” the winner of the Kings Cup in 2016 for Mr & Mrs Magill.
Gary Marsden from Hills & Maze finished 10th North Sect & 10th Open INFC Penzance.
Dick Mooney Dublin North County, winning William Erwin Memorial Cup for 1st South Section YB Channel National Penzance.
Fran Cullen and Karolina Mroczek winners in Blackwater RPC.
Owen & Michael Monaghan winners in the Colin HPS.
1st Club Harmony, 1st Club Meadows, 15 Open for Matt McCabe, bred by Mark McClure.

Return to “Irish National Flying Club”