Bilco - RP Column 25/09/2009

The articles displayed within the Bilco's Bulletin area off the forum have been retyped by one of our pigeonnetwork.com editorial team in the interests of promoting the sport of pigeon racing in Ireland with the prior approval of late Bill Cowell, for the enjoyment of our many loyal members around the world who don't have access to the Racing Pigeon Weekly.
willie reynolds

Bilco - RP Column 25/09/2009

Post by willie reynolds »

RP Column - 25/09/09

Thanks...
To Ron Newman of Padstow, and Phil Wilson Cornish Combine transporter driver, my little blue pied hen 689 was returned to the loft none the worse for crossing from Lamballe a bit off line. It was her first race so she is forgiven, once!

Colostrum
Is one of the (many) dietary supplemental materials I trialled in my capacity as Old Hand when employed by the Gazette prior to its sale (and ultimate demise) to the RPRA. In recent months I have again been trialling it in rearing YBs, along with Chris Williams of Trowbridge, who has been using fresh Colostrum direct from the cattle (First calving heifers) he works with. I used a powdered version, in capsules, formulated for athletes and sold by Osmonds, the successors to Old Hand Supplies. I trialled five breeding pairs against five untreated pairs. AT least one of each pair of the treated birds were related in at least one of the parents. So too were the untreated pairs.
Now for the technical bit, if you don't go for technicalities, skip this paragraph. Bovine colostrum contains bovine versions of many human growth factors, including insulin-like growth factor, transforming growth factor, epithelial growth factor, and even growth hormone, that are capable of stimulating muscle growth. The concentration of bovine insulin-like growth factor I (ILGF-1) in colostrum ranges from 200 to 2,000 mcg/L, compared with less than 10 mcg/L in normal cow's milk. Thus, in theory, bovine colostrum might be able to stimulate muscle growth in humans, and racing pigeons. However, although bovine ILGF-1 has been shown to be identical to ILGF-1 in some analytical studies and to be absorbed and transported into the circulation of calves, the effects of bovine ILGF-1 and other bovine growth substances in humans after oral administration, has not been determined in clinical trials.
In a preliminary study of male athletes, supplementation with 125 ml of colostrum per day for eight days produced a statistically significant increase in the serum concentration of insulin-like growth factor. However the magnitude of the increase was small, and the clinical significance of that change is not clear. Thus, claims that bovine colostrum can help burn fat and promote muscle growth by raising the level of ILGF-1 or other molecules must be considered premature at this stage.
However... Both Chris Williams and myself found that YBs reared using Colostrum came out of the nest sooner, better grown and more mentally advanced than from the control pairs. They have consistently exercised better, running earlier and for longer periods than YBs from control pairs. I gave eight treated Ybs three tosses to 35 miles, them jumped them into Lamballe, about 180 miles. Three made the BBC result sheet, four others homed on the same day and one was reported found in north Cornwall, (Padstow) same day. I also sent three untreated YBs from the controls to Lamballe, same training, but none have returned. Chris Williams was almost ready to tackle the race programme but didn't clock his first race, he thought he was way far behind to do any good. Ten days later he won 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th Wilts Continental/Devizes FC with them. He was also 1st the next week.
A reader asked why are pigeons not capable of rearing healthy youngsters without all of this, all of a sudden? On the contrary they are, if they are in good health and have a constant source of nutrients available to them, but in common with anyone who seek to excel, and outdo his opposition, there is a constant demand throughout all competitive avenues, sports, competitions, etc, to get one up on the opposition. We have seen a classic example of this in recent years with ETS, strongly opposed by the old school in some places, but swiftly seized by those with an eye to gaining an advantage. The observant fancier could not help but notice at national level, how the mass of competing fanciers have traded their old timing clocks for the new electronic system, despite the dire warnings of ruination of the sport and unceasing expense by the stick in the muds! As the old adage has it You pay your penny and take your pick, and if you wish to remain a user of the old tried and trusted facilities to rearing YBs, good luck to you. I have an enquiring mind, and in the past have been paid to investigate, enquire and experiment with any new avenue to progress for many years, so I still do it. It's for information only, if you beg to differ or are simply not interested, say so, or turn the page. That reader is not the first ( and probably not the last either) to question articles that seek to cast some light on various angles of the sport. He/she and see these articles as commercial advertising plugs for various equipments or medications/feeds etc. I agree, some of them can indeed seem to have a commercial angle, but they were not written with that aspect in mind. My interest is solely to clarify, or draw attention to the subject under discussion. I have no shares, salary or other commercial/financial interest in any of these projects, past or present, nor am I paid these days to write, in or out of the Fancy Press. I'm a journalist, have been for the last 40 years, both freelance and retained, and if I don't give all the information - like where a commodity can be obtained, and addresses or phone numbers - then I haven't done my job properly. You would be surprised at the number of enquiries even dull boring paragraphs engender sometimes, and if I write something that appeals and don't include details like addresses, phone numbers etc, I am deluged with enquiries asking for them. The capsules I used came from Osmonds, Bradeley Farm, Tarporley Rd, Whitchurch, Shropshire. Phone 01948-668100. They're the same people who bought the Old Hand Supplies business.
Because this is not the first time I have undertaken research or close interest in the effects of Colostrum on pigeon health, I flattered myself that I was out in front on knowledge of the effects of it on our birds. Ever been had? I started talking on it on the internet a couple or so weeks ago, and discovered that there are an awful lot of people out there who know every bit as much as I do, and more, on its effects, and who have been using this stuff in both liquid and powdered form for some time. Gem Products of Portsmouth (Brian Wall) has Procol 12 on the market, a mixture of Colostrum and DGM, and so too does Norban also market the stuff. There may be others! Some fanciers mix Colostrum with Echinacia ( an equine product) and swear by its efficaey, so I feel rather chuffed that old as I am, I wasn't off the bit when I started ferreting about with it again, and can still mix it with the clever clogs in the game.

Hawks
By which I mean almost any bird of prey, are now the biggest disruptor of pigeon races bar none. Like many, I have come to the conclusion that it is time to stand up and be counted, and I suggest that fanciers everywhere should do exactly what Baroness Young (Ex-CEO of the RSPB) suggested some several years ago. She asked why fanciers did not try to create a taste aversion by daubing a noxious tasting substance on to the pigeons plumage, so that while pigeons will be taken, the taste of something so nasty (like Alum powder) would dissuade BOP from continuing their attacks, and that this practice should serve to alienate the bird of prey off this most delectable item of his menu. So dear fancier, I have it in good authority that several hundred fanciers have, or are breeding from four to six latebreds, unrung, unstamped, unflown or trained out of the loft, to be released in January 2010 when other food is hard to come by, and these birds will be daubed on their neck and shoulders with goose grease or lard, I suggest alum powder. If it works as I feel sure it may well do, we shall have struck a major blow on behalf of our birds safety. What a bitter pill that may be for some, that the very people suggest a cure be those with the least intent to help.

Return to “Bilco's Bulletin”