Oroory Hill Stud - M/M Gerald Delaney

The Pigeon Fancier, Top Loft Reports, Articles and much more... Plus Lisburn City & Around to include the NIPA Clubs in Lisburn and Dromore and Lisburn based Lagan Valley RPC who race in the Ulster Federation.
willie reynolds

Oroory Hill Stud - M/M Gerald Delaney

Post by willie reynolds »

What a super season 2006 & 2007 were for the Oroory HIll Stud pigeons.

The phone never stopped ringing on Saturday nights and Sundays with fanciers letting me know the winning my birds had done for them. The winning these pigeons did for Ian & Tommy Dagnell in 2006 was just fantastic, their YBs won 17 x 1sts, 17 x 2nds, 16 x 3rds, 3rd & 5th Sect YB National and in 2007 my YBs won the first three YB races for him. Pat Byrne and his father Padner from Dublin just kept on winning. Pat with the Jacobs and Padner was the man to beat with my Grondelaers. He won 8 x 1sts 2007 taking 1st, 2nd & 3rd week after week up to 900 birds, and he was 5th Open in the South Road Fed Barleycove old birds Open race and in this same race Alan Nulty, Dublin was 1st Open with a Willy Jacobs hen bred by me. Alan said, “These Oroory Hill Jacobs are the best pigeons I’ve ever had.” They have own so much. D & I Edgar from Dromore won 1st Sect D, 1st Open with NIPA OB Inland National, the winner was bred from a direct Jacobs hen purchased from me and in the same race Reggie Moore from Bangor won 1st Sect F, 6th Open, M & M Stevenson from Dromara won 4th Sect, 10th Open and Rab Hunter won 20th Open with a cock bred from the hen he was 2nd Open YB National. These were all Jacobs or Jacobs crossed.

Now to name a few of my own results in 2007, I only raced in a few old bird inland races, as I do not have much time to race with the running of the stud. But they can more than hold their own when they do race. I set a club record when they took the first 10 positions in the club that day, in NIPA they won 3rd Sect, 3rd Open, 4th Sect, 4th Open, 5th Sect, 5th Open, 8th Sect, 9th Open, 9th Sect, 10th Open, 10th Sect, 11th Open, 13th Sect, 15th Open, 16th Sect, 20th Open, 23rd Sect, 29th Open, 27th Sect, 36th Open. This from 120 miles, vels from 1397-1350, these were near all Jacob birds.

NIPA OB Inland Nat, they were 9th Sect, 13th & 36th Sect Roscrea, 1st Sect, 106th Open 28,063 birds vel 1368. Clonmel 7th Sect, 130th Open, 8th Sect, 134th Open, 12th Sect, 159th Open 28,928 birds vel 1720. Pilmore Beach 14th Sect, 24th Open, 17th Sect, 30th Open, 36th Sect, 62nd Open, 29th Sect, 73rd Open vel 1575 26,056 birds. In the INFC OB Nat I was 4th & 6th North Sect, these winnings were mostly done with the direct Willy Jacobs ‘cream crackers’ as all of my own bred birds are for sale in the stud Jacobs birds £40 each.

Well the winning just goes on and on!…

I only raced four YB races in the 2009 season and boy did they race. My first race was an Open race and I sent them more for a training toss than a race, they won 3rd, 4th, 5th Open, then three weeks later I sent 43 YBs to their first official race, 175 miles with the NIPA (and what a race!!!) in 2007 I set a club record taking the first 10 positions, but in this race the Willy Jacobs just blew that away. They won 20 of the first 22 positions in the Dromore HPS club: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd. The also won 1st & 2nd Open NIPA vel 1333 and the pigeon that was 3rd Open was also a Willy Jacobs for Mr & Mrs Stevenson from Dromara. I also took 15 of the first 30 in the Section that day. That is four times the Jacobs could have taken the first 20 positions in Dromore HPS. The ETS does not tell lies. The following week Rosscarbery YB Nat they again won the first five positions in the club.

On to some of the other fanciers winning with my birds; Malachy Maguire from Newry won 1st Yearling Hen Nat with a Willy Jacobs. Willy Neil from Portadown won 1st Open NIPA Talbenny with a 1/2 Jacobs 1/2 Grondelaer and 2009 the same pigeon won 2nd Open NIPA and won two more races, Willy Neill also won 2nd Open YB Nat from Sennen Cove, one side of this bird came from me. In the same race Frank McCann from Tandragee was 6th Open with a 1/2 Jacobs. M Gowdy from Dromore was 14th Open with a 1/2 Jacobs and Martin Graham won 1st Ballymena with a 1/2 Jacobs, all over 300 miles, not bad for ‘sprint pigeons’. Tommy Ford from Portadown this last three years has just wiped the decks with these Willy Jacobs, one hen has bred him 6 x 1st prize winners.

Mr & Mrs Stevenson, Dromara won 1st Sect, 3rd Open Fermoy; 1st Sect, 6th Open; 5th Sect, 12th Open; 5th Sect, 6th Open; 2nd Sect, 12th Open; 3rd Sect, 12th Open, all Jacobs or 1/2 Jacobs.

M Graham of Ballymena won 6 x 1sts, one cock won him 3x1sts and was beaten by a decimal point to win the Mid Antrim Combine three times. Tommy Dagnal the first year he got my pigeons won 17 x 1sts, 17 x 2nds and 16 x 3rds, last year he won 25 x 1st prizes.

Joe Tumilson from Cumbria won 1st Open with of my birds.

Colin Fleming of Southport
In 2009 Oroory Hill Stud acquired all of Colin’s stock pigeons. Colin and I have been great friends from 1990 and he has done a lot of winning with my Grondelaers, but in ’99 Colin and I visited Belgium, he bought some red YBs from an old man in Lier Market, and boy did these reds fly. Colin bought more YBs in 2000 and then bought all his stock birds and top racers. Colin did not tell many people who the old man is, and that is the way I will keep it, but everybody that has got these ‘Fleming Reds’ won with them from 50-400 miles. Colin has a fantastic team of Jan Huybregts, one of the best in the UK I would say. Again these have won a lot for him and everybody that gets them, these will win from 50-400 miles. Colin bred the big winner for John Referan this year.

"Oroory Hill Stud" - Jan Grondelaers & Felix Pauwels ...
Two of the best sprint and middle distance champions in Belgium. We own the best stud of these pigeons in Europe. They have bred hundreds of winners for ourselves and others, including two National and three Derby winners, including ‘Young Felix’ which has won 34 x 1sts and ‘Young Terry’ which has won 12 x 1sts and 14 x 2nds racing against 20,000 pigeons. They are also responsible for Pat Byrne & son of Dublin, and T Moorehouse of Bray, becoming Irish South Road Champions several times. Colin Fleming, Southport, becoming Champion flyer in Southport Federation and others too numerous to mention.

We purchased these pigeons from 1986, direct from the two fanciers, and in 1996 purchased 80 of the Top Lofts UK at the clearance sales. Price £40 each.

I Own 600! – Yes 600!

All direct bred by Willy Jacobs

It gives me great trouble to sit and write about these pigeons, as I do not know where to start. I could honestly say that I think these are “the best sprint - middle distance” pigeons ever to come into Ireland or the United Kingdom and that is a big speak.

In 2005 they won in one race 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th Open over 20,000 birds in the NIPA race 186 miles. This was only their second race. I had 14 drop together. Next week they won six of the first seven in the Sect, the following week in the NIPA YB National they won five of the first twelve in the Sect. The next week in INFC they won 14th Open and I?bred the pigeon that was 2nd Open a Jacobs for Rab Hunter. They have won a 1st Nat and five 2nd Nationals for myself and others. They have won me over £7,500 since introducing these birds in 2002.

My first race 136 miles and five drop together again winning 11th & 13th Open NIPA and the rest well placed. In the four years I?have had these Jacobs they have won two 2nds, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th & 13th Nat plus many more prizes. In 2005 the ‘TV Cock’ won 4th Open Mallow 5 Bird Championship race after sitting out 61/2 minutes. They have also won twice 2nd Open NIPA over 20,000 birds. I could go on writing what they have won for me but I will tell you what they have done for others who have got them off me.

Paul Hart from Manchester won 1st & 2nd YB Nat with two half Jacobs half Grondelaers that I?bred him. David Armstrong from Newcastle upon Tyne won 1st and 2nd Fed with the same bird a half Jacobs. Pat Byrne from Dublin won 1st Open South Road Fed OB with a Jacobs from me, and in 2005 in the YB he won 1st & 2nd Club 960 birds, also 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th Club 980 birds. In 2006 so far Pat has won twice 1st Open South Road Fed, 2nd & 3rd Open and four 1sts and ten 2nds in one of Dublin’s top clubs with up to 1,000 birds per week competing. This was mainly done with Willy Jacobs pigeons obtained from me.

Rab Hunter won 1st & 2nd Club, 5th & 7th EDC Combine. Also 2006 Rab has done a lot of winning with the YBs he bought off me. Paul McCarthy from Belfast has done a lot of winning with the Jacobs he obtained from me. Roy Irwin from Belfast bought six YBs 2006 and so far they have won him 3 x 1sts, 2 x 2nds and 2 x 3rds. I could go on and on about the fanciers who every week phone me to tell me about the great winning the Jacob’s pigeons are doing for them.

Willy Jacobs is a small team man, he races about six pigeons per race but has big results. He has won two motor cars in the last five years. This man races against Nauwelaerts, Laeremans, Van-Hove Utterhoeven, Voets and Houben and can more than hold his own with a small team. It was my good friend Billy College and myself that discovered this man Willy Jacobs on our many trips to Belgium. I have at stock over 600 birds all bred by Willy Jacobs. Price £40 each.

What a super season 2006 & 2007 were for the Oroory HIll Stud pigeons. The phone never stopped ringing on Saturday nights and Sundays with fanciers letting me know the winning my birds had done for them. The winning these pigeons did for Ian & Tommy Dagnell in 2006 was just fantastic, their YBs won 17 x 1sts, 17 x 2nds, 16 x 3rds, 3rd & 5th Sect YB National and in 2007 my YBs won the first three YB races for him. Pat Byrne and his father Padner from Dublin just kept on winning. Pat with the Jacobs and Padner was the man to beat with my Grondelaers. He won 8 x 1sts 2007 taking 1st, 2nd & 3rd week after week up to 900 birds, and he was 5th Open in the South Road Fed Barleycove old birds Open race and in this same race Alan Nulty, Dublin was 1st Open with a Willy Jacobs hen bred by me. Alan said, “These Oroory Hill Jacobs are the best pigeons I’ve ever had.” They have own so much. D & I Edgar from Dromore won 1st Sect D, 1st Open with NIPA OB Inland National, the winner was bred from a direct Jacobs hen purchased from me and in the same race Reggie Moore from Bangor won 1st Sect F, 6th Open, M & M Stevenson from Dromara won 4th Sect, 10th Open and Rab Hunter won 20th Open with a cock bred from the hen he was 2nd Open YB National. These were all Jacobs or Jacobs crossed.

Now to name a few of my own results in 2007, I only raced in a few old bird inland races, as I do not have much time to race with the running of the stud. But they can more than hold their own when they do race. I set a club record when they took the first 10 positions in the club that day, in NIPA they won 3rd Sect, 3rd Open, 4th Sect, 4th Open, 5th Sect, 5th Open, 8th Sect, 9th Open, 9th Sect, 10th Open, 10th Sect, 11th Open, 13th Sect, 15th Open, 16th Sect, 20th Open, 23rd Sect, 29th Open, 27th Sect, 36th Open. This from 120 miles, vels from 1397-1350, these were near all Jacob birds.

NIPA OB Inland Nat, they were 9th Sect, 13th & 36th Sect Roscrea, 1st Sect, 106th Open 28,063 birds vel 1368. Clonmel 7th Sect, 130th Open, 8th Sect, 134th Open, 12th Sect, 159th Open 28,928 birds vel 1720. Pilmore Beach 14th Sect, 24th Open, 17th Sect, 30th Open, 36th Sect, 62nd Open, 29th Sect, 73rd Open vel 1575 26,056 birds. In the INFC OB Nat I was 4th & 6th North Sect, these winnings were mostly done with the direct Willy Jacobs ‘cream crackers’ as all of my own bred birds are for sale in the stud Jacobs birds £40 each.

Please call back for photo display.

Return to “Around Ireland - with Adie”